Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Need opinions on possible faulty PSU (multiple)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need opinions on possible faulty PSU (multiple)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
So a while back I updated my gaming rig and decided to take the old gear and make it into a storage/server computer for home network. After it running flawless for about a month, I woke up to it dead. Hit power on button, fan lights flashed and could no longer attempt to power up. I assumed PSU was bad and had a month left on warranty. Sent in for RMA and got new (reman) PSU. Installed it and PC booted back up. About 2 or 3 hours after that I noticed the PC was off again. Attempted to power on and same thing. Fan lights flashed (started to turn) and then PC wouldn't boot again. Assumption this time was that it was a re-manufactured unit and that's what happens with them. So the PC sat a few months because I didn't have money or time to fix it with new PSU. Tonight however my buddy gave me a PSU to try. Hooked it up and computer booted right up. Low and behold after downloading updates and a few restarts, after 2 or 3 hours, the PC was off again and same symptoms. Will spin the fans a rotation and flash the lights but PC won't boot. Is it possible that all 3 PSU failed or is there something else I should look at?

I have tried the "jumper" test with no success. Also keep in mind that all 3 units have been using same cord from wall since no new ones came with PSUs. Is that a possible cause? Also everything has gone through the same surge/power converter. Is it possible that has caused an issue? What options do I have to figure this out without spending 20 or 30 bucks on cheap PSU just to find it inop hours after installing?

System is:

AMD 955BE (stock cooler)
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
2 PSU were CUG950B (cool max)
1 PSU was Ultra 500W
RAM is Patriot Sector 5 (2x2GB 1600mhz)
3 HDDs all SATA 3GB/s (2 seagate 750 and 1 WD black 500GB)
Fans are molex standard 80mm (2 installed 1 front, 1 side)
Edited by AMD_King - 10/19/12 at 10:15pm
post #2 of 14
Weird, did you ever get any errors, BSODs?
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

Weird, did you ever get any errors, BSODs?

None at all. Everything was working awesome. Temps were good. Updated windows. Updated MSE. Even did a quick backup to make sure network was working properly. Then I went on gaming computer for about an hour and tried to remote connect but couldn't. Walked into other room and comp was off. No start with just a flash of the fan LEDs.
post #4 of 14
cool, did you ever get shocked when touching the system.. is the outlet grounded?
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

cool, did you ever get shocked when touching the system.. is the outlet grounded?

Shocked, no. Outlet grounded. I assume so? It's through a surge protector too and I'm thinking maybe that's the problem. Or the actual power cord itself. Have either of those ever been heard of causing a problem? Just seems real odd that's the original, reman, and new one all went bad after the upgrade when i moved it to other room and used that power cable with that surge protector. But I could be way off... that's why I'm here.
post #6 of 14
Just cos it's on a surge protector doesn't mean there is an earth. I would look by turning off the power and checking the cables in the socket on wall.
I would maybe try the psu straight from the wall to ensure the surge protector isn't faulty
post #7 of 14
It is strange, assuming the system killed the PSUs, you have to wonder why is it still working?... these PSU are rather trashy, with few (if any) electrical protections, a short could have easily overloaded them to the point of failure, but why is the system still in one piece... really strange. As for the surge protector, I can't see how that might be at fault... nor the power cord, though it's worth trying the system on a different outlet and with a different power cord..

Have you seen any signs of melting/discoloring on the power cord in question?
post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_2010 View Post

Just cos it's on a surge protector doesn't mean there is an earth. I would look by turning off the power and checking the cables in the socket on wall.
I would maybe try the psu straight from the wall to ensure the surge protector isn't faulty

Tried that with a different cable. LED on MOBO comes on now but power switch does nothing. Doesn't even flash the fan LEDs or attempt to spin the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Sin View Post

It is strange, assuming the system killed the PSUs, you have to wonder why is it still working?... these PSU are rather trashy, with few (if any) electrical protections, a short could have easily overloaded them to the point of failure, but why is the system still in one piece... really strange. As for the surge protector, I can't see how that might be at fault... nor the power cord, though it's worth trying the system on a different outlet and with a different power cord..
Have you seen any signs of melting/discoloring on the power cord in question?

No melting or discoloration seen. Same with surge protector. I don't see anything that would make me question it.

Should I go buy a 20 or 25 dollar PSU and try the power cord that comes with that from a different wall outlet? Do you know if computer stores will or can test the PSU if it is dead or not?
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD_King View Post

Should I go buy a 20 or 25 dollar PSU and try the power cord that comes with that from a different wall outlet? Do you know if computer stores will or can test the PSU if it is dead or not?

Some do, you could try it... in regard to the purchase you have in mind, you don't need to buy a new PSU for the cord alone, power cords are sold separately for a couple of bucks at most HW shops... also, do not buy any more trashy units, what you need is a proper PSU, one with all relevant protections implemented, it will help diagnose the problem and it won't get that easily murdered either.
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Suggestions on PSU? Don't want to spend a ton of cash though for multiple reasons. Most important being that if this happens again to this unit for some reason.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Need opinions on possible faulty PSU (multiple)