Originally Posted by ballnuts
I don't have the LED plugged in, but the power just won't come on. I have rigorously checked and jiggled connections, and nothing is working. Something is blown. Unfortunately it does not look like an easy fix
I'm not sure how that power button is configured, is that like a battery or capacitor or something? Where the wires are connected to?
Oh well. Better contact Jim and see what he thinks.
ballnuts the power button is a momentary on switch. what you need to do is disconnect the wire from the power on switch.
if you have a multimeter
1stput it on ohms and put the black on one side and the red on the other side. should show OL on meter or real high resitance depending on type of meter you have.
2nd push the button and the ohms should go below 1 ohm actually should be 0 but again depending on the meter is what it should be.
if when you push the button you have 1ohm or below on the meter this means the button is good and their is something wrong somewhere else. maybe power supply or connections.
if you dont have a meter then
You can also touch the 2 wires together that goes to the button for 2 or 3 seconds and if PC works means problem is with the push button.
you can also connect a wire each side of the button and put one wire on a 9v battery and hold the other wire. push the button with one hand and touch the opposite side of the battery and when you do this you should see a small spark this means the push button is working.
I am a Maintenance Electrician by trade and working as a Maintenance supervisor in the Oil Industry so i know electricity. if you have any more questions ask and i will help. i am in Indonesia right now working so i am 13 hours ahead or you at least depends on where in the usa it is. but it is 9am here. i will help with this all I can.