Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › MMORPGs - what's your role and class?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

MMORPGs - what's your role and class? - Page 3

post #21 of 59
I love to play Support/dps roles. Sounds kind of mixed up but def works depending on the MMO you choose to play. In GW2 for instance I run a Banner Shield Warrior. Regen via the banners, buffs via the banners. Shield offers +toughness and reflection of incoming projectiles. Axe offers vulnerability to aid in dps by the rest of the group as well.

Full Knights exotic gear aids in survivability as well for myself, the longer I am up the more I can support the group with Banners and dps. I absolutely love the idea of being able to put hurt on the enemy and keep the group up and running all at once. Then again GW2 is the only MMO I have really really played since WoW and even then I played a Shaman which offers a similar play style with Support/Dps.
post #22 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

1: Just in regards to the topic of this thread? Because it's cemented the idea that in order for an MMO to work players have to have designated roles that they can use as a guide for how they play the game. There is no creative play going on, you're just a damn cog in the group/guild. Don't get me wrong, they didn't start it. Everquest did. But WoW hammered it into everybody that this is the only way to play.

Are you seriously comparing text-based games to games that actually have graphics...?

Anyway, I didn't check the games you've given the examples of (yet), but I don't know any of them. If they are NOT text-RPGs, then you've got a point for the customization. smile.gif However, different appearance is also customization and expression of visual things, while customization of the character is expression of your preferred style of gameplay. You can still express it to a lesser extend (hence different classes), but that IS a lesser extend.

I've quoted this because I had a problem with you saying "a damn cog in the group/guild." Why? You can play alone, you can play with your friends, you can do PVP, you can trade. You don't have to get into any group if you don't want to. But of course there are advantages, so even if you do get into one, you can put your needs before the guild's needs. Why not? You don't have to be a team player to "belong." rolleyes.gif

It's up to you what you choose to do, so don't put it like it's not a choice. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkonis View Post

I love to play Support/dps roles. Sounds kind of mixed up but def works depending on the MMO you choose to play. In GW2 for instance I run a Banner Shield Warrior. Regen via the banners, buffs via the banners. Shield offers +toughness and reflection of incoming projectiles. Axe offers vulnerability to aid in dps by the rest of the group as well.
Full Knights exotic gear aids in survivability as well for myself, the longer I am up the more I can support the group with Banners and dps. I absolutely love the idea of being able to put hurt on the enemy and keep the group up and running all at once. Then again GW2 is the only MMO I have really really played since WoW and even then I played a Shaman which offers a similar play style with Support/Dps.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with Guild Wars, however I am familiar with the Shaman (only from the trial though). I remember shaman being "different" than the other classes. Maybe I should say that it was a bit harder than the rest. I played it, but in the end, I didn't like it as much as say Rogue or Mage, or Warlock because there were more support-focused stuff available. Other than that, it's a fun class to fool around with as a break to the main class (assuming my main's high level).
post #23 of 59
I'm not a person to like being the center of attention, however I really enjoy being a Tank. I'm pretty terrible at heals, but can flip to dps when needed. During Burning Crusade, I was exclusively a Rogue. At Wrath I switch to a Blood DK (originally dps) and haven't looked back. I don't mind DPSing for my guilds other tanks, but really get annoyed dealing with random Tanks.
 
Liquid i5
(18 items)
 
Budget BOINCer
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA2011 Diamond Radeon HD 7970 Diamond Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB Heatkiller Waterblocks! Windows 8 Pro 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Mountain Mods H2gO, black wrinkle, Left H Windo... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.428v Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 EVGA 570 SC SLI@ 900/2000 1.1v G-Skill Ripjaws 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial C300 128gb Samsung F4 2TBx4 Raid5 LG Bluray Combo GPU - HK GPUx3 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
CPU - HK Rev 3.0 360+120 Rads, Gentle Typhoon AP-15s Win7 Pro x64 Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750w Cooler Master HAF X Logitech G9 Razer Barracuda AC-1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 945 MSI 790FX-GD70 3x HD 5870 G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2gb Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 320gb CPU - XSPC Rasa GPUs - XSPC 5870 & MCW82 RS240 & EX240 
OSPowerCase
XP Pro Seasonic Platinum 860 Fractal Arc Midi 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Liquid i5
(18 items)
 
Budget BOINCer
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 3930k Asus Rampage IV Gene Micro ATX LGA2011 Diamond Radeon HD 7970 Diamond Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB Heatkiller Waterblocks! Windows 8 Pro 
PowerCase
Seasonic X-850 Mountain Mods H2gO, black wrinkle, Left H Windo... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz 1.428v Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 EVGA 570 SC SLI@ 900/2000 1.1v G-Skill Ripjaws 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial C300 128gb Samsung F4 2TBx4 Raid5 LG Bluray Combo GPU - HK GPUx3 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
CPU - HK Rev 3.0 360+120 Rads, Gentle Typhoon AP-15s Win7 Pro x64 Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair HX750w Cooler Master HAF X Logitech G9 Razer Barracuda AC-1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 945 MSI 790FX-GD70 3x HD 5870 G-Skill Ripjaws 2x2gb Blue 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Seagate 320gb CPU - XSPC Rasa GPUs - XSPC 5870 & MCW82 RS240 & EX240 
OSPowerCase
XP Pro Seasonic Platinum 860 Fractal Arc Midi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

Are you seriously comparing text-based games to games that actually have graphics...?

Are you seriously suggesting they don't qualify? Because I'm pretty sure that without them, WoW wouldn't exist, let alone exist in the form that it does today. Every last combat mechanic in WoW can be perfectly replicated in a text MMO, because that is all WoW is, a number-crunching statistics simulator with a 3d facade. But compared to the text-based MMO's that predate it by decades, it's a piece of crap.

How many solo players are there in WoW who have done everything they wanted to do, meaning the only thing there is to do in WoW (gear up) without partying? I thought so. Besides that, that wasn't even my point. I didn't say anything about not being able to solo or play without a guild. I said that because your character has no individuality, you do not stand out at all from other players around you. You bring nothing unique or innovative to the table as a player, you just fill a slot, which is often just as easily filled by a freaking bot.
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

For mods: Since most MMORPGs are for PCs (if not all, I'm not sure if there's anything for consoles), I'm posting this here.
When playing MMORPGs, what kind of character do you choose and why?
Role example: damage dealers, healers, boosters, damage takers (tanks, are they called?).
Class example: Melee, ranged, magic.
I usually choose a mage damage dealer. That is because I like soloing as the people I usually meet make a lot of mistakes compared to me (for example, luring the monsters). And I also like constantly doing something that is at least a little different. Healers, for example, simply heal people repeatedly - the same action over and over again. In some games, they also boost the players with some higher damage or defense spell, which, essentially is the same action as well. Damage dealers (especially mages), on the other hand, usually have lots of skills. Even though for some of them the main difference is only visual, it's still more pleasing... For some reason.
P.S. Didn't make the poll since I want an explanation on why you choose that over something else. smile.gif

Back in the old days when i used to play wow a bit. I liked to be the Tauren Warrior Tank.
Happy time PC.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930K Asus P9X79LE EVGA GTX660 Ti Superclocked EVGA GTX660 Ti Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 gigs A-Data Sandisk 128 ssd 2 TB 7200 rpm spinner Panasonic Blue Rey Reader / Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asatek 570LX water Windows 8 pro (64bit) 40 inch Sony Bravia TV at 1080x1920 AZZA 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Extreme Gear 800W Azza Hurricane 2000 AZZA Mother board 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Happy time PC.
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930K Asus P9X79LE EVGA GTX660 Ti Superclocked EVGA GTX660 Ti Superclocked 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
16 gigs A-Data Sandisk 128 ssd 2 TB 7200 rpm spinner Panasonic Blue Rey Reader / Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Asatek 570LX water Windows 8 pro (64bit) 40 inch Sony Bravia TV at 1080x1920 AZZA 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Extreme Gear 800W Azza Hurricane 2000 AZZA Mother board 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganf View Post

Are you seriously suggesting they don't qualify? Because I'm pretty sure that without them, WoW wouldn't exist, let alone exist in the form that it does today. Every last combat mechanic in WoW can be perfectly replicated in a text MMO, because that is all WoW is, a number-crunching statistics simulator with a 3d facade. But compared to the text-based MMO's that predate it by decades, it's a piece of crap.
How many solo players are there in WoW who have done everything they wanted to do, meaning the only thing there is to do in WoW (gear up) without partying? I thought so. Besides that, that wasn't even my point. I didn't say anything about not being able to solo or play without a guild. I said that because your character has no individuality, you do not stand out at all from other players around you. You bring nothing unique or innovative to the table as a player, you just fill a slot, which is often just as easily filled by a freaking bot.

It's like comparing Dungeons And Dragons on the PC to the real life version... You should make such comparisons. This also neglects your point about WoW being a piece of crap. wink.gif

Well if they've done everything they wanted to do, they can stop playing the game, or if you meant a class - choose another class. On the other hand, some people like repetition, therefore, they can still continue playing it. I don't see where you see a problem in any of that.

As for character individuality, you can still use different fighting styles if you wish to express individuality in fighting. Different weapons and armor (effects or unique spells), gadgets, summons (professions), etc.. Essentially you're creating a big picture customized to a lesser extend than that of a big picture that you could get from a text-based MMOs (which makes sense). To which you shouldn't be comparing graphics-based MMOs in the first place.
post #27 of 59
redface.gif ok I will give up.
Edited by H60Ninja - 10/22/12 at 5:32pm
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H60Ninja View Post

Since we are talking about mmorpg what do you guys think of guild wars 2? I was thinking of giving it a try but I dont know yet and the 1 time buy to play looks cool, I will look up reviews on it later.

I think that you should create a new thread - it's not even remotely related to what this thread is about. Nonetheless, there should already be a one big thread for it, possibly more.

I believe people call this "thread hijack," but I call it poor judgement. wink.gif
post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

I think that you should create a new thread - it's not even remotely related to what this thread is about. Nonetheless, there should already be a one big thread for it, possibly more.
I believe people call this "thread hijack," but I call it poor judgement. wink.gif
I apologize for my poor judgement I did not mean to hijack anything. Im Sorry.
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

It's like comparing Dungeons And Dragons on the PC to the real life version... You should make such comparisons. This also neglects your point about WoW being a piece of crap. wink.gif
Well if they've done everything they wanted to do, they can stop playing the game, or if you meant a class - choose another class. On the other hand, some people like repetition, therefore, they can still continue playing it. I don't see where you see a problem in any of that.
As for character individuality, you can still use different fighting styles if you wish to express individuality in fighting. Different weapons and armor (effects or unique spells), gadgets, summons (professions), etc.. Essentially you're creating a big picture customized to a lesser extend than that of a big picture that you could get from a text-based MMOs (which makes sense). To which you shouldn't be comparing graphics-based MMOs in the first place.

You really didn't understand a thing I've said. This is why I shouldn't have even mentioned anything. It's not your fault, I should've never expected anyone to be able to comprehend the situation of MMO's without seeing it both before and after.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newn View Post

For mods: Since most MMORPGs are for PCs (if not all, I'm not sure if there's anything for consoles), I'm posting this here.
When playing MMORPGs, what kind of character do you choose and why?
Role example: damage dealers, healers, boosters, damage takers (tanks, are they called?).
Class example: Melee, ranged, magic.
I usually choose a mage damage dealer. That is because I like soloing as the people I usually meet make a lot of mistakes compared to me (for example, luring the monsters). And I also like constantly doing something that is at least a little different. Healers, for example, simply heal people repeatedly - the same action over and over again. In some games, they also boost the players with some higher damage or defense spell, which, essentially is the same action as well. Damage dealers (especially mages), on the other hand, usually have lots of skills. Even though for some of them the main difference is only visual, it's still more pleasing... For some reason.
P.S. Didn't make the poll since I want an explanation on why you choose that over something else. smile.gif

Rogue when there is are stealth/stealing/espionage mechanics that actually matter. Warrior when I can play an extremely dodgy type. Mage when I have a wide variety of utility spells available to me. I don't really play hybrids unless there is something unique about them, because if there isn't, they're just a whole bunch of blah. Every time. I don't really play healers much anymore because I like to keep the ability to solo when I want to, and that hasn't been possible with a healer in an MMO since the mid-90's.

Excluding the retarded Druids in EQ before they nerfed kiting.... puke.gif
Edited by Ganf - 10/23/12 at 6:03am
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PC Gaming
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › PC Gaming › MMORPGs - what's your role and class?