Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Build my rig! i have $6k Help me pick my components?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Build my rig! i have $6k Help me pick my components? - Page 19

post #181 of 193
Well if we take a look at this Anand article;

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/17

Shows that the GTX580 is faster for compute performance in most cases. Therefore, assuming that the performance on The GTX580 scales well in a quad-SLI setup vs tri-SLI of GTX680; the GTX580's are the better option as far as compute performance goes. Not to mention they are no slouches for gaming either. So definitely a good recommendation to take a look at some GTX580's. Currently newegg has some brand new Sparkle reference cards going for $310 + $7.87 shipping. Although you could definitely get them cheaper elsewhere I would imagine.

OP - For a CPU only loop look at something like this;

CPU Block - Alphacool Cuplex Kryos XT - $94.99
Radiator - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Quad 120mm Radiator - $104.99
Pump - Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump - $99.95
Pump Top - Phobya Laing DDC / MCP35x Series Pump Top - Silver Nickel - $29.95 (Optional)
Reservoir - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Inline Reservoir - $38.95
Tubing - I recommend from personal experience - PrimoChill PrimoFlex {Pick your colour} 1/2" ID 3/4" OD 10ft pack - $22.95
Fittings - 8 x Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - Matte Black - $75.92
Additives - Distilled/Demineralised Water {From supermarket/gas station/wherever} + IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip - $6.99

Whatever you do, make sure you use distilled/demineralised water (not the coolants) and a pure silver kill coil (which kills bacteria). I should also point out that the reason for going with the Alphacool Kryos XT is simply for aesthetic reasons; I personally think they are the best looking CPU blocks out there. You may think differently so obviously you can change the CPU block to any of your liking. Just ensure they will mount with the 2011 X79 socket thumb.gif
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #182 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

Well if we take a look at this Anand article;
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5699/nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-review/17
Shows that the GTX580 is faster for compute performance in most cases. Therefore, assuming that the performance on The GTX580 scales well in a quad-SLI setup vs tri-SLI of GTX680; the GTX580's are the better option as far as compute performance goes. Not to mention they are no slouches for gaming either. So definitely a good recommendation to take a look at some GTX580's. Currently newegg has some brand new Sparkle reference cards going for $310 + $7.87 shipping. Although you could definitely get them cheaper elsewhere I would imagine.
OP - For a CPU only loop look at something like this;
CPU Block - Alphacool Cuplex Kryos XT - $94.99
Radiator - Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper Quad 120mm Radiator - $104.99
Pump - Swiftech MCP35X 12v PWM Controlled Water Pump - $99.95
Pump Top - Phobya Laing DDC / MCP35x Series Pump Top - Silver Nickel - $29.95 (Optional)
Reservoir - Bitspower Water Tank Z-Multi 150 Inline Reservoir - $38.95
Tubing - I recommend from personal experience - PrimoChill PrimoFlex {Pick your colour} 1/2" ID 3/4" OD 10ft pack - $22.95
Fittings - 8 x Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting - Matte Black - $75.92
Additives - Distilled/Demineralised Water {From supermarket/gas station/wherever} + IandH Silver KillCoils - Antimicrobial .999 Fine Silver Tubing / Reservoir Strip - $6.99
Whatever you do, make sure you use distilled/demineralised water (not the coolants) and a pure silver kill coil (which kills bacteria). I should also point out that the reason for going with the Alphacool Kryos XT is simply for aesthetic reasons; I personally think they are the best looking CPU blocks out there. You may think differently so obviously you can change the CPU block to any of your liking. Just ensure they will mount with the 2011 X79 socket thumb.gif

thats very interesting... in that case i support the use of GTX580s... fortunately, you should be able to get 4 of them for the price of 3 GTX 680s... i also agree on the loop recomended above (though i dont realy think a different top is needed for the MCP35X)... ty for the info and +rep smile.gif

EDIT: 580s scale slightly worse, but over all will still perform better based on these results
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #183 of 193
These are on sale for another day or two I think, and are _super_ cheap. If I had the money right now, I'd get 3 to replace my 1.5GB 580s. http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=03G-P3-1593-KR&family=GeForce%20500%20Series%20Family&uc=EUR
Project Obselete
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme R9 290 R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB G-Skill DDR3 1600MHz 256GB Samsung 830 SSD 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB Samsung PB22-J SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 Asus BW-12B1LT Custom loop with external radbox 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Crossover 27Q LED-P Crossover 27Q LED-P Optoma GT720 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair AX1200i Coolermaster HAF X Asus Xonar D2X Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Obselete
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz Asus Maximus IV Extreme R9 290 R9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB G-Skill DDR3 1600MHz 256GB Samsung 830 SSD 512GB Samsung 830 SSD 256 GB Samsung PB22-J SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 2TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 Asus BW-12B1LT Custom loop with external radbox 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Crossover 27Q LED-P Crossover 27Q LED-P Optoma GT720 
PowerCaseAudioOther
Corsair AX1200i Coolermaster HAF X Asus Xonar D2X Highpoint RocketRAID 2680 
  hide details  
Reply
post #184 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskamobob1 View Post

thats very interesting... in that case i support the use of GTX580s... fortunately, you should be able to get 4 of them for the price of 3 GTX 680s... i also agree on the loop recomended above (though i dont realy think a different top is needed for the MCP35X)... ty for the info and +rep smile.gif
EDIT: 580s scale slightly worse, but over all will still perform better based on these results

The pump top is mainly for the bling factor haha Hence why I said it was optional biggrin.gif
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #185 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance47 View Post

The pump top is mainly for the bling factor haha Hence why I said it was optional biggrin.gif

Lol.. Makes sence tongue.gif... Would op maybe benefit from a MPC35X2 if he will be expanding his loop later on? I always like having dual pumps in a loop for reliability, but that's and extra $130, so idk if it's worth it here
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #186 of 193
580s have the larger memory bandwidth. Idk about cuda cores though...
Big Dog
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k at 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VII Hero AMD Firepro W7000 Silicon Power 2 x 8Gb 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2xWD 1Tb 64Mb RAID 1 Samsung 840 Evo 250Gb Samsung DVD Under water 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint / Win7 Pro Dell U3011 and 2007WFP  Filco Ninja Tenkeyless, red switches Crosair TX950W 
CaseMouseAudio
CM HAF932 Razer Death Adder Asus Essense STX, HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Dog
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k at 4.5GHz Asus Maximus VII Hero AMD Firepro W7000 Silicon Power 2 x 8Gb 2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2xWD 1Tb 64Mb RAID 1 Samsung 840 Evo 250Gb Samsung DVD Under water 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint / Win7 Pro Dell U3011 and 2007WFP  Filco Ninja Tenkeyless, red switches Crosair TX950W 
CaseMouseAudio
CM HAF932 Razer Death Adder Asus Essense STX, HD555 
  hide details  
Reply
post #187 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskamobob1 View Post

Lol.. Makes sence tongue.gif... Would op maybe benefit from a MPC35X2 if he will be expanding his loop later on? I always like having dual pumps in a loop for reliability, but that's and extra $130, so idk if it's worth it here

I wouldn't recommend it at this stage if he has no time frame for when the GPU's would be added to the loop. Ultimately, he could always buy a second pump and add it to the loop anyway down the track thumb.gif

Although I do think dual pumps are good for added safety. But that $100-odd could be better invested elsewhere imo
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k MSI Z77A-GD65 Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
OCZ Vertex 2 Antec Kuhler 620 Windows 10 Silverstone ST1200 
Case
Corsair 200R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #188 of 193
six k? damn, where was I when you started this tread... sounds like fun! I would gladly help redface.gif
MKG-Cosmos II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO oc'd to 4.25Ghz EVGA 3-way Sli Classified 2x480 SLI 3x2g Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Intel ssd, 2x300g raptors (0), 2x1 TB RE3 (0 Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, 22x dvd burner custom loop Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W3000H, dell ultra-sharp 24" Ducky 'OCN' with brown hx1000 Cosmos II 
MouseMouse Pad
mionix naos 5000 steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
MKG-Cosmos II
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 DO oc'd to 4.25Ghz EVGA 3-way Sli Classified 2x480 SLI 3x2g Corsair CMG6GX3M3A2000C7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
80g Intel ssd, 2x300g raptors (0), 2x1 TB RE3 (0 Pioneer Blu-Ray burner, 22x dvd burner custom loop Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W3000H, dell ultra-sharp 24" Ducky 'OCN' with brown hx1000 Cosmos II 
MouseMouse Pad
mionix naos 5000 steelseries SX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #189 of 193
The thread totally scared me off.

Gonna wait and see if this project can wow me like k3nny's or LutroO's:rolleyes:
Innovation
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz 24/7 ASUS Maximus V Extreme ASUS GTX 670 non-TOP Corsair Dominator GT 32GB @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD Caviar Black 2TB WD Caviar Green 3TB WD Caviar Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green 3TB LG Bluray Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dual ASUS VS278Q Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX850 Corsair 600T SE 
MouseOther
Cyborg R.A.T 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD80 ASUS 7970 ASUS 7970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 1866MHz HGST 4TB H100i Windows 7 Enterprise 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer Blackwidow 2013 AX 1200 NZXT Phantom 820 
  hide details  
Reply
Innovation
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz 24/7 ASUS Maximus V Extreme ASUS GTX 670 non-TOP Corsair Dominator GT 32GB @ 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD Caviar Black 2TB WD Caviar Green 3TB WD Caviar Green 3TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Green 3TB LG Bluray Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dual ASUS VS278Q Razor Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX850 Corsair 600T SE 
MouseOther
Cyborg R.A.T 7 Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD80 ASUS 7970 ASUS 7970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 1866MHz HGST 4TB H100i Windows 7 Enterprise 
KeyboardPowerCase
Razer Blackwidow 2013 AX 1200 NZXT Phantom 820 
  hide details  
Reply
post #190 of 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanNgo View Post

The thread totally scared me off.
Gonna wait and see if this project can wow me like k3nny's or LutroO's:rolleyes:

this is mainly a workstation machine, and the OPs first major WC build... i hope we get a build log, but you never know tongue.gif
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Build my rig! i have $6k Help me pick my components?