Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 1451

post #14501 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

Ask Corsair George.

http://www.overclock.net/u/158841/corsairgeorge

He'll get it straightened out. He's OCN's Corsair representative, and he's helped a lot of people.

Thank you so much. I sent him a PM. I really appreciate your assistance.
post #14502 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruude View Post

This is what im going to be doing when steamroller hits thumb.gif

then if it survives ill give it to my 9 year old smile.gif

Nice. That's pretty much my plan too. I'm giving this machine to my 13 year old daughter, after I build a steamroller machine and push this Vishera to it's limits. I gave her a laptop with an APU recently, but she deserves more power! Funny thing is, I gave here a choice between Linux and Windows, when I gave her the laptop. She chose Linux, even with me explaining that she could get more games for Windows. Chip off the old block. To be fair I've been letting her use my Linux systems since she was 4, so I'm sure she just went with what she's used to.
deathstar
(26 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.5 GHz Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (02G-P4-2670-BR) Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G X 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD WD2500HHTZ VelociRaptor WDC DC10EADS-00M LG CD/DVD Writer 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Cooler Master 120XL Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  Ubuntu Studio 13.04 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ViewSonic VX2450-wm ViewSonic VX2450-wm WASD V1 w/Cherry Blues Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master HAF 912 Microsoft L2 Sculpt Touch Mouse 6PL-00003 Creative Inspire P5800 - 5.1 Speakers Inland 05322 Dual LCD Desk Mount 
OtherOther
Targus ACB10US Bluetooth Adapter APC Back-UPS XS-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
deathstar
(26 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.5 GHz Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (02G-P4-2670-BR) Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G X 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD WD2500HHTZ VelociRaptor WDC DC10EADS-00M LG CD/DVD Writer 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Cooler Master 120XL Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  Ubuntu Studio 13.04 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ViewSonic VX2450-wm ViewSonic VX2450-wm WASD V1 w/Cherry Blues Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master HAF 912 Microsoft L2 Sculpt Touch Mouse 6PL-00003 Creative Inspire P5800 - 5.1 Speakers Inland 05322 Dual LCD Desk Mount 
OtherOther
Targus ACB10US Bluetooth Adapter APC Back-UPS XS-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14503 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyPresident View Post

Nice. That's pretty much my plan too. I'm giving this machine to my 13 year old daughter, after I build a steamroller machine and push this Vishera to it's limits. I gave her a laptop with an APU recently, but she deserves more power! Funny thing is, I gave here a choice between Linux and Windows, when I gave her the laptop. She chose Linux, even with me explaining that she could get more games for Windows. Chip off the old block. To be fair I've been letting her use my Linux systems since she was 4, so I'm sure she just went with what she's used to.

Thats great man...smile.gif

Its always good kids pick up on things we do gives ya something to have in common thumb.gif

My step son has been in my life since he was a baby, id say he was more like me than his real dad lol....he cried when he asked me if i was his real dad or not, bless him wubsmiley.gif

He loves gaming and he's dying to get on a gaming pc. He goes on his mums but he cant play any decent games cause of the crappy card she got smile.gif

I learned my lesson years ago and the kids dont go on mine now thumb.gif

Back on topic tongue.gif

I never got into linux really. just wanted the easiness of windows for gaming rolleyes.gif

I may try and install it on a partition on my spare drive and see how much its changed in last 4 years.
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14504 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by asimriz View Post

Hello People,

My specs are:

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 Bios Version 1503
CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Cooling Fan: Noctua NF-S12B FLX 120mm Fan
Cooling Fan: Noctua NF-A14 FLX 140mm Fan (x2) (yet to install)
GPU: MSI GTX 670 2GB Power Edition OC (stock settings)
Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance@1600MHz
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB@7200rpm HDD
PSU: XFX Pro 750W Black Edition Full Modular
Casing: Xigmatek Midguard-II Gaming Case
Monitor: Viewsonic VX2370Smh 23inch Gaming LED
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit




Whenever I try to copy large files (about 500mb & above) to my USB drive, the progress bar moves to 98% in a flash & then freezes there. The file DOES NOT get copied... I've tried it w 3 different USB sticks but each time I get the same result. Is it bcoz of the overclocking in any way ? PLZZZ HELP !!!!!!

Are you trying to do this on your USB 3.0 ports? if so check drivers, roll back if needed, or check for update.

the only way i can see the OC being the cause of this is if you managed to corrupt some windows files in the process. which would be fixed with a clean install and you would still have your OC.

I'd personally start rounding out potential causes. Like isolate and repeat, on various USB ports, front and back.

First step would be disconnect all non essential peripheral. I've had my fair share of USB spliter-box going bad without notice. SO much so that i refuse to use another one no matter the reviews.

Do a windows update,

check if your USB drives are corrupted, (the actual physical drive..if they are blank just reformat and try again)

Best advice i can give at this point in time.
Beast Schlampe
(17 items)
 
My Kaveri Project
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Fx-8370-e Crosshair V formula Z  Zotac GTX 780ti Amp edition Gskill trident 2400 @ 2400- 10-12-12-31-41 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2x Adata SX900 128GB SSD in Raid 0 Zalman VE300 Deepcool Captain 360 Nzxt g10 + h110 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 pro Asus pg278Q lg 29' ultra wide ips Roccat Ryos glow MX black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X850 Fractal Design Arc XL corsair m45 corsair massive keyboard and mouse pad 
Audio
Razer Kraken pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast Schlampe
(17 items)
 
My Kaveri Project
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Fx-8370-e Crosshair V formula Z  Zotac GTX 780ti Amp edition Gskill trident 2400 @ 2400- 10-12-12-31-41 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2x Adata SX900 128GB SSD in Raid 0 Zalman VE300 Deepcool Captain 360 Nzxt g10 + h110 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 pro Asus pg278Q lg 29' ultra wide ips Roccat Ryos glow MX black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X850 Fractal Design Arc XL corsair m45 corsair massive keyboard and mouse pad 
Audio
Razer Kraken pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14505 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

Are you trying to do this on your USB 3.0 ports? if so check drivers, roll back if needed, or check for update.

the only way i can see the OC being the cause of this is if you managed to corrupt some windows files in the process. which would be fixed with a clean install and you would still have your OC.

I'd personally start rounding out potential causes. Like isolate and repeat, on various USB ports, front and back.

First step would be disconnect all non essential peripheral. I've had my fair share of USB spliter-box going bad without notice. SO much so that i refuse to use another one no matter the reviews.

Do a windows update,

check if your USB drives are corrupted, (the actual physical drive..if they are blank just reformat and try again)

Best advice i can give at this point in time.
sounds like a plan to meh
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14506 of 67345


Well after quite a bit of tweaking this is what I have settled for. I have attempted to lower volts a little but always end up unstable. Tried lowering LLC, lowering offset and raising LLC etc. Any tips? Still fairly new to all this. Also I haven't really touched my ram yet, just running profile 1. It doesn't really seem to like to OC. But I also don't really know what I'm doing.. G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600 CL9. 990fxa-ud3 swiftech H220.
.100v core offset
cpu pll 2.695
NB 1.10
+.20v on the ram.
Edited by MrStick89 - 5/23/13 at 5:23pm
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
Reply
    
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Asus R9 290x  G.skill trident x 2400mhz CL10 16gb 128GB OCZ SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Asus Blu-ray Swiftech H220 Win7 ASUS VG248QE 120hz Lightboost/Asus 23"  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX850 Corsair 400R Logitech G9x Steel series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14507 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by gertruude View Post

Thats great man...smile.gif

Its always good kids pick up on things we do gives ya something to have in common thumb.gif

My step son has been in my life since he was a baby, id say he was more like me than his real dad lol....he cried when he asked me if i was his real dad or not, bless him wubsmiley.gif

He loves gaming and he's dying to get on a gaming pc. He goes on his mums but he cant play any decent games cause of the crappy card she got smile.gif

I learned my lesson years ago and the kids dont go on mine now thumb.gif

Back on topic tongue.gif

I never got into linux really. just wanted the easiness of windows for gaming rolleyes.gif

I may try and install it on a partition on my spare drive and see how much its changed in last 4 years.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A duel-boot is a good idea. You can't lose. You'll have the best of both worlds. Last time I duel-booted was on a Athlon XP 2000+, before that I duel-booted on a K62 500 (That was shortly after the invention of the wheel and the discovery of fire wink.gif ). What was interesting to me at the time is that on any game I was able to compare, running on Linux and Windows XP, I was getting twice the frame rate with Linux. ID used release Linux binaries for their games after their windows releases. The 500 had a Rage 128 running a open source driver and the 2000+ had a Geforce 4 ti with a proprietary NVIDIA driver. I seriously doubt the performance difference would be as huge now, but I bet it would be better in Linux for a game that could run native on both.

Back then it seemed to me like Linux was an extremely viable gaming platform, but few seemed to take it seriously. Windows was and is so popular that a developer would be crazy to write games specifically for Linux. To complicate matters more, Microsoft leveraged their popularity to get developers and chip manufacturers to support DirectX. To me that is crazy, since pretty much everything but MS uses OpenGL or OpenGLES. Still it worked for them. People have compensated for that, by making game engines that have the option to compile with both DirectX and OpenGL (ex. Unigine, Unity, Ogre ect...) and of course GPUs support DirectX and OpenGL.

It seems like the tide might be turning a bit for Linux gaming now. Valve has a Linux version of Steam now and they are reportedly going to release a Linux based gaming box soon. Also, saw recently that the Cry engine might be ported to OpenGL soon. That'd be great. I guess some customers of Crytek want to be able to port their games to Mac and/or Linux. Myself I would love to see what Crysis would be like with a native Linux binary. Things might be changing.

The proprietary NVIDIA drivers for Linux are phenomenal, in my opinion. I read mixed review of the Linux ATI Catalyst drivers, but I've only used it on my daughter's laptop. They seem alright on her machine, but I can't definitively say how good they are since it's not a super powerful chip. That's part of the reason I stick with NVIDIA. Their Linux drivers have been great for years thumb.gif

I only use Linux, except for the Windows 7 VM I use for contracts that require Microsoft server technologies. I try not to come at people like "Linux! Linux! Linux!". It's not worth my time and I'm fine with people using what they want. However, in my educated opinion it is a better operating system then the ones offered by MS and Apple. In my experience it utilizes hardware more efficiently than the competition (I almost forgot, I duel-booted on my MacBook Pro 4,1 as well. Linux ran ETQW much better than OS 10.5.). Perhaps most importantly, open source software is constantly improving. Many sets of eyes see a particular piece of code in an open source project. Potentially 100s of people could contribute to a program, all with the goal of making it better. Bugs are found, fixed and the fix is given back to the community, on a daily basis. I really don't think a commercial developer can compete with that, no matter how effective their marketing is. Open Source is the future. If civilization collapses, Linux will remain.

I will add that my 8350 loves it. Lol

So, that's my take on it. I don't know if that's useful to you or anyone, but I do think it is a good idea to have Linux. Especially since duel-booting is a win win. Thus ends my one and only Linux rant, that will appear on this thread. *Stepping down from soap box* biggrin.gif

Edited by FunkyPresident - 5/23/13 at 7:15pm
deathstar
(26 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.5 GHz Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (02G-P4-2670-BR) Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G X 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD WD2500HHTZ VelociRaptor WDC DC10EADS-00M LG CD/DVD Writer 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Cooler Master 120XL Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  Ubuntu Studio 13.04 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ViewSonic VX2450-wm ViewSonic VX2450-wm WASD V1 w/Cherry Blues Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master HAF 912 Microsoft L2 Sculpt Touch Mouse 6PL-00003 Creative Inspire P5800 - 5.1 Speakers Inland 05322 Dual LCD Desk Mount 
OtherOther
Targus ACB10US Bluetooth Adapter APC Back-UPS XS-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
deathstar
(26 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.5 GHz Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 EVGA GeForce GTX 670 (02G-P4-2670-BR) Kingston HyperX Blu KHX1600C10D3B1K2/16G X 2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 840 Pro WD WD2500HHTZ VelociRaptor WDC DC10EADS-00M LG CD/DVD Writer 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Cooler Master 120XL Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master MegaFlow 200mm Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Blade Master 120mm COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  COUGAR CF-V12HP Vortex  Ubuntu Studio 13.04 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ViewSonic VX2450-wm ViewSonic VX2450-wm WASD V1 w/Cherry Blues Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Cooler Master HAF 912 Microsoft L2 Sculpt Touch Mouse 6PL-00003 Creative Inspire P5800 - 5.1 Speakers Inland 05322 Dual LCD Desk Mount 
OtherOther
Targus ACB10US Bluetooth Adapter APC Back-UPS XS-1000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14508 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyPresident View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
A duel-boot is a good idea. You can't lose. You'll have the best of both worlds. Last time I duel-booted was on a Athlon XP 2000+, before that I duel-booted on a K62 500 (That was shortly after the invention of the wheel and the discovery of fire wink.gif ). What was interesting to me at the time is that on any game I was able to compare, running on Linux and Windows XP, I was getting twice the frame rate with Linux. ID used release Linux binaries for their games after their windows releases. The 500 had a Rage 128 running a open source driver and the 2000+ had a Geforce 4 ti with a proprietary NVIDIA driver. I seriously doubt the performance difference would be as huge now, but I bet it would be better in Linux for a game that could run native on both.

Back then it seemed to me like Linux was an extremely viable gaming platform, but few seemed to take it seriously. Windows was and is so popular that a developer would be crazy to write games specifically for Linux. To complicate matters more, Microsoft leveraged their popularity to get developers and chip manufacturers to support DirectX. To me that is crazy, since pretty much everything but MS uses OpenGL or OpenGLES. Still it worked for them. People have compensated for that, by making game engines that have the option to compile with both DirectX and OpenGL (ex. Unigine, Unity, Ogre ect...) and of course GPUs support DirectX and OpenGL.

It seems like the tide might be turning a bit for Linux gaming now. Valve has a Linux version of Steam now and they are reportedly going to release a Linux based gaming box soon. Also, saw recently that the Cry engine might be ported to OpenGL soon. That'd be great. I guess some customers of Crytek want to be able to port their games to Mac and/or Linux. Myself I would love to see what Crysis would be like with a native Linux binary. Things might be changing.

The proprietary NVIDIA drivers for Linux are phenomenal, in my opinion. I read mixed review of the Linux ATI Catalyst drivers, but I've only used it on my daughter's laptop. They seem alright on her machine, but I can't definitively say how good they are since it's not a super powerful chip. That's part of the reason I stick with NVIDIA. Their Linux drivers have been great for years thumb.gif

I only use Linux, except for the Windows 7 VM I use for contracts that require Microsoft server technologies. I try not to come at people like "Linux! Linux! Linux!". It's not worth my time and I'm fine with people using what they want. However, in my educated opinion it is a better operating system then the ones offered by MS and Apple. In my experience it utilizes hardware more efficiently than the competition (I almost forgot, I duel-booted on my MacBook Pro 4,1 as well. Linux ran ETQW much better than OS 10.5.). Perhaps most importantly, open source software is constantly improving. Many sets of eyes see a particular piece of code in an open source project. Potentially 100s of people could contribute to a program, all with the goal of making it better. Bugs are found, fixed and the fix is given back to the community, on a daily basis. I really don't think a commercial developer can compete with that, no matter how effective their marketing is. Open Source is the future. If civilization collapses, Linux will remain.

I will add that my 8350 loves it. Lol

So, that's my take on it. I don't know if that's useful to you or anyone, but I do think it is a good idea to have Linux. Especially since duel-booting is a win win. Thus ends my one and only Linux rant, that will appear on this thread. *Stepping down from soap box*
biggrin.gif


OMG WALL OF TEXT! redface.gif

lol joking smile.gif

ill give it a try this weekend, its like 2.15am and cant be bothered redface.gif, star trek online keeps calling me rolleyes.gif

its my new insomniac game thumb.gif
Edited by gertruude - 5/23/13 at 6:19pm
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14509 of 67345
Ok this is driving me nuts...
Everyone with google chrome, try benching your memory speed with and without it open.
My score is always higher with google chrome open. I've tested priority,affinity, 4.0,4.2,4,6,4.7 with 2200,2400, and 2600 NB speeds and 1T vs 2T.

Btw my water cooling came in the mail today biggrin.gif. My old overclock only puts me at 43c in prime95 blend now, so gonna push it higher.
Quisty
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z R9 280x XFX Black edition G.Skill Trident 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate barracuda Samsung 840 evo Random LG dvd writer/reader NZXT Kraken x60 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
3x 120mm, 4x 140mm, 1x 80mm Windows 7 Ultimate Hanns G 32" Dell 24" sharp 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Evga supernova 1300 gs Ikonik mid tower Mx518 
Audio
Wow headset 
  hide details  
Reply
Quisty
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z R9 280x XFX Black edition G.Skill Trident 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate barracuda Samsung 840 evo Random LG dvd writer/reader NZXT Kraken x60 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
3x 120mm, 4x 140mm, 1x 80mm Windows 7 Ultimate Hanns G 32" Dell 24" sharp 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Saitek Cyborg Evga supernova 1300 gs Ikonik mid tower Mx518 
Audio
Wow headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14510 of 67345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vencenzo View Post

Ok this is driving me nuts...
Everyone with google chrome, try benching your memory speed with and without it open... My score is always higher with google chrome open.

Same here, my score is always higher with Chrome open. Matter of fact, I get higher scores even if Prime95 is running. Pretty much any open app will make my MaxxMEM scores go up.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6GHz 1.48v 990FXA-UD3 Pegatron HD6450 1GB 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 500GB Samsung DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win 7 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 32" 720p HDTV SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze CM 690 II Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 @ 4.6GHz 1.48v 990FXA-UD3 Pegatron HD6450 1GB 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 500GB Samsung DVD-RW Corsair H100i Win 7 x64 
MonitorPowerCase
LG 32" 720p HDTV SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze CM 690 II Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club