Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 1615

post #16141 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

hi NBA,
A lot of what you are coming accross are VRM features exclusive to the Digital Power of the ASUS MB's. They control the ability to store energy and extending the OC'ing frequency range(capacitence) and the precise tuning of the power delivery by way of controlling or effecting the switching frequencies of the VRM for the CPU/CPU/NB/ and the DRAM. The Thermal control you asked about is about thermal OC'ing tolerance, the higher the number (130-150) the wider the range or more latitude for higher or more extreme OC's.
I am on my way to reviewing the whole ASUS AMD 990FX MB lineup. The sabertooth is next but I have recently reviewed the CVF-Z, and the ASUS A85X. Both using the Digi+power VRM so maybe the BIOS section will help and giving you a starting point for using these settings.
hope it helps smile.gif

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_f2a85v/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_crosshair_formula_v_review/


you sure know a lot about all that technical stuff dude, great job thumb.gif

I have a question tho, what is the best board according to you for overclock FX CPU?

Also when steamroller comes out would i be able to use the same motherboard or do i need to buy another one if i would upgrade?
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16142 of 67219
h80i flew into honolulu this morning, going to pick it up on monday (ups is saying it wont be at my door until tuesday night)
Ballistic
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-6700k Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 980 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX Intel 600p Corsair Neutron XT  H100i V2 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Steelseries Apex Corsair AX760 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival 300 Razer Kraken Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Ballistic
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-6700k Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 980 Asus Strix Geforce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance LPX Intel 600p Corsair Neutron XT  H100i V2 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Steelseries Apex Corsair AX760 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival 300 Razer Kraken Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16143 of 67219
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confide- View Post

I was wondering if I can get some help overclocking my FX-8320. I am running a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Motherboard. 500W Corsair PSU. Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler. 2x120mm case fan. 1x80mm case fan.

I am looking to get to 4.5-5.0

Here are my settings in my BIOS

CPU Clock- x17.5 @3500Mhz
CPU NB Freq.- x11 @2200
CPB Disabled
CPU Freq.- 200
PCIe Clock- 100
HT Link Freq- x12 @2400
CPU PLL Volt- 2.535
DRAM Volt- 1.510
DDR VTT Volt -.750
NB Volt- 1.105
HT Link Volt- 1.210
NB/PCIe/PPL- 1.810
CPU NB VID- Normal
CPU Volt- Normal
Normal CPU VCORE- 1.400

Any help will be greatly appreciated. If you need any further information please feel free to inbox me

Alright... well, your VID is perfect for this kind of overclocking. Higher VID parts (which your 1.4v is) usually run colder. Perfect for your H60.

Overclocking the PD chips is fairly straightforward. Raise CPU multi until it isn't stable, raise CPU voltage until it is stable, repeat until temps are too high. Later, if you want to really get into it, there's always FSB clocking, RAM OCing, and NB/HT tweaking to get the very most out of your chip, but there is no need to do that.

For now you'll want to disable APM, C1E, C6, and C'n'Q. Set your LLC value to it's highest level since you're on a 970a (It should be Extreme) The only voltage you should be concerned about for now is your CPU Vcore. You will probably need 1.425 to 1.45v in addition to Extreme LLC to get 4.5-4.6Ghz.

If you can raise CPU PLL, it can help reduce the Vcore needed to run at a given overclock. Do not set it higher than 2.695v (danger zone).

Max "safe" Vcore is 1.55v, but I think you'll hit a temp wall before that. Max "safe" temperature is 62C. HWiNFO64 is the recommended software for monitoring your system in this club, and you can find a link to IBT AVX in the OP, which combined with OCCT is out prefered stressing method as well.

If you need anymore help, let us know. thumb.gif
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 2x AMD R9-FuryX 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 2x Acer XR341CK 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Thermaltake X9 Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 Objective2+ODAC REV B Sound Blaster ZxR Audio Technica AT2020 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 2x AMD R9-FuryX 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 2x Acer XR341CK 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Thermaltake X9 Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser HD700 Objective2+ODAC REV B Sound Blaster ZxR Audio Technica AT2020 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16144 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

hi NBA,
A lot of what you are coming accross are VRM features exclusive to the Digital Power of the ASUS MB's. They control the ability to store energy and extending the OC'ing frequency range(capacitence) and the precise tuning of the power delivery by way of controlling or effecting the switching frequencies of the VRM for the CPU/CPU/NB/ and the DRAM. The Thermal control you asked about is about thermal OC'ing tolerance, the higher the number (130-150) the wider the range or more latitude for higher or more extreme OC's.
I am on my way to reviewing the whole ASUS AMD 990FX MB lineup. The sabertooth is next but I have recently reviewed the CVF-Z, and the ASUS A85X. Both using the Digi+power VRM so maybe the BIOS section will help and giving you a starting point for using these settings.
hope it helps smile.gif

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_f2a85v/

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_crosshair_formula_v_review/


you sure know a lot about all that technical stuff dude, great job thumb.gif

I have a question tho, what is the best board according to you for overclock FX CPU?

Also when steamroller comes out would i be able to use the same motherboard or do i need to buy another one if i would upgrade?

That is a good question. it sounded like the 1090/1050 chipset was a dead issue for SR, but the way some of the 990FX boards are being closed out, and the big changes in power scheming with SR, I am not so sure. I think It will be compatible with AMb3, but not full featured (thats my guess mind you)
Right now the best OC board is a toss up between the UD7 (rev 1.1) and the CVF-Z. I have pushed them both hard and get almost identical results.
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16145 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

That is a good question. it sounded like the 1090/1050 chipset was a dead issue for SR, but the way some of the 990FX boards are being closed out, and the big changes in power scheming with SR, I am not so sure. I think It will be compatible with AMb3, but not full featured (thats my guess mind you)
Right now the best OC board is a toss up between the UD7 (rev 1.1) and the CVF-Z. I have pushed them both hard and get almost identical results.

So my formula IV extreme will not take SR? sad-smiley-002.gif
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16146 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

That is a good question. it sounded like the 1090/1050 chipset was a dead issue for SR, but the way some of the 990FX boards are being closed out, and the big changes in power scheming with SR, I am not so sure. I think It will be compatible with AMb3, but not full featured (thats my guess mind you)
Right now the best OC board is a toss up between the UD7 (rev 1.1) and the CVF-Z. I have pushed them both hard and get almost identical results.

So my formula IV extreme will not take SR? sad-smiley-002.gif

Hi Sugar,
It took me a minute to figure out why you asked that hehe. AM3b is the same as AM3+. From what I can gather, and like I said (my opinion) is that SR will be compatible with AM3+, but i have noticed that some 990FX boards are being retired of late (and other reasons) that I suspect the 1090/1050 will happen to take full advantage of all the changes with SR.
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16147 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

Hi Sugar,
It took me a minute to figure out why you asked that hehe. AM3b is the same as AM3+. From what I can gather, and like I said (my opinion) is that SR will be compatible with AM3+, but i have noticed that some 990FX boards are being retired of late (and other reasons) that I suspect the 1090/1050 will happen to take full advantage of all the changes with SR.

Yeah i have a 6300 working just fine on a IV. I dont really want to change mobo because this asus is pretty good. But either way i am looking for SR on release. Cheers biggrin.gif
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16148 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

Hi Sugar,
It took me a minute to figure out why you asked that hehe. AM3b is the same as AM3+. From what I can gather, and like I said (my opinion) is that SR will be compatible with AM3+, but i have noticed that some 990FX boards are being retired of late (and other reasons) that I suspect the 1090/1050 will happen to take full advantage of all the changes with SR.

This is why i am saving up lol.......i have a funny feeling they've changed their minds about steamroller and thats why the vishera based cpu's are coming out, to satisfy the "we wont change our chipset" tongue.gif

Steamroller will be the 1090/1050

Time willl tell smile.gif
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 asus sabertooth 990fx R9 290 DC2 kingston hyper x beast 1866 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
fractal design kelvin s36 windows 10 pro Acer G245HQ Saitek Cyborg V5 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Corsair Graphite series 780T corsair m90 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16149 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyadCK View Post

Alright... well, your VID is perfect for this kind of overclocking. Higher VID parts (which your 1.4v is) usually run colder. Perfect for your H60.

Overclocking the PD chips is fairly straightforward. Raise CPU multi until it isn't stable, raise CPU voltage until it is stable, repeat until temps are too high. Later, if you want to really get into it, there's always FSB clocking, RAM OCing, and NB/HT tweaking to get the very most out of your chip, but there is no need to do that.

For now you'll want to disable APM, C1E, C6, and C'n'Q. Set your LLC value to it's highest level since you're on a 970a (It should be Extreme) The only voltage you should be concerned about for now is your CPU Vcore. You will probably need 1.425 to 1.45v in addition to Extreme LLC to get 4.5-4.6Ghz.

If you can raise CPU PLL, it can help reduce the Vcore needed to run at a given overclock. Do not set it higher than 2.695v (danger zone).

Max "safe" Vcore is 1.55v, but I think you'll hit a temp wall before that. Max "safe" temperature is 62C. HWiNFO64 is the recommended software for monitoring your system in this club, and you can find a link to IBT AVX in the OP, which combined with OCCT is out prefered stressing method as well.

If you need anymore help, let us know. thumb.gif

Yeah I do hit max 'safe' temp at 1.55v. But I have been lowering and lowering. Right now my CPU Multi is at 4.5 and my voltage is 1.45 v and I am getting max temps of 70
post #16150 of 67219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

That is a good question. it sounded like the 1090/1050 chipset was a dead issue for SR, but the way some of the 990FX boards are being closed out, and the big changes in power scheming with SR, I am not so sure. I think It will be compatible with AMb3, but not full featured (thats my guess mind you)
Right now the best OC board is a toss up between the UD7 (rev 1.1) and the CVF-Z. I have pushed them both hard and get almost identical results.

Okay i understand well we have to wait than.

So i have the best motherboard biggrin.gif because the UD7 and the UD5 are basically the same only the UD7 supports quad SLI and quad CFX.

I hope steamroller has much better IMC memory controller because i do not like the funky FX memory controller because it only supports 1866 native.
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
hurricane
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 1600 Asus Crosshair hero 6 MSI GTX 970 gaming 4G G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 950 pro, 256 GB Alphacool Eisbaer 360 Windows 10 Pro Asus VG248Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G910 Cooler Master V850 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe tempered glass Logitech G502 
Audio
logitech Z-2300 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club