Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 296

post #2951 of 67911
Can anyone help me with my new problem?
I got a very stable 5.1Ghz at 1.568v, but i can't boot at 5.2Ghz.
I won't even boot at 5.120, very strange problem here.
post #2952 of 67911
Quote:
I am hearing that a lot FX. I have seen threads dedicated to a glitch with P95 and Vishera. Give OCCT standard stress a try.


Prime 95 is still the hallmark of stability if it passes 24 hours... However. Prime 95 doesn't work with Bulldozer or the Piledriver cores. Some people are failing prime 95 STOCK speeds/voltages.

Don't use it to test Bulldozer or Piledriver. I recommend Intel Burn in Test, or OCCT, or lastly AMD overdrive. Don't try for a prime 95 stable system with FX processors. You will just pull your hair out.
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2953 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

well for starters the asus crosshair V has more power phases. Even with asus's larger heatsink they still run hot. I did the same thing on the my ud3. I added a fan. Active cooling on the northbridge is needed on the 990fxa chipsets. Esp when you overclock/overvolt them.

But this is pathetic. If the north bridge requires more cooling, then the board manufacturer should put on a heavier duty heat sink. If necessary, put active cooling on it from the factory. I don't mind throwing custom cooling on my CPU if I'm overclocking it because clearly, I'm running it hotter than 'standard' specs. But if I don't run the north bridge any faster than stock, the damn thing shouldn't heat up to the point where it's 80 degrees. That's just bad engineering. I can kind of give it a pass on the the lower end boards, but anything above a ~$120 board should either have a heavier duty passive cooling solution which keeps the temps below 60 degrees running at 'stock' north bridge speeds, or they should augment a good active solution. This rhetoric about how it's 'OK' to let the temps get up to 80 degrees because the chip can 'take it' is silly. If the north bridge on my old Gigabyte 790X-UDP4 never gets uncomfortably hot to the touch even when running my PII X2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.9GHz, then there's no excuse for a 990X or 990FX series board to do so much worse.

Now that I've ordered an FX-8350 and it's on its way, I'm going to have to buy a board shortly. The idea that I'm going to have to customize the heatsink on the north bridge of just about any brand new Gigabyte 990xx board I buy is disappointing.
Edited by anubis44 - 11/10/12 at 6:11pm
Current Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5 GIgabyte Windforce R9 290 G.Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung DVD AMD Ryzen stock HSF Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" 1680x1050 Samsung  1989 IBM Model M PS/2 'clicky' keyboard (best k... EVGA 850w Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD R7 1700 Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5 GIgabyte Windforce R9 290 G.Skill Trident Z 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX100 Samsung DVD AMD Ryzen stock HSF Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22" 1680x1050 Samsung  1989 IBM Model M PS/2 'clicky' keyboard (best k... EVGA 850w Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2954 of 67911
Quote:
But this is pathetic. If the north bridge requires more cooling, then the board manufacturer should put on a heavier duty heat sink. If necessary, put active cooling on it from the factory. I don't mind throwing custom cooling on my CPU if I'm overclocking it because clearly, I'm running it hotter than 'standard' specs. But if I don't run the north bridge any faster than stock, the damn thing shouldn't heat up to the point where it's 80 degrees. That's just bad engineering. I can kind of give it a pass on the the lower end boards, but anything above a ~$120 board should either have a heavier duty passive cooling solution which keeps the temps below 60 degrees running at 'stock' north bridge speeds, or they should augment a good active solution. This rhetoric about how it's 'OK' to let the temps get up to 80 degrees because the chip can 'take it' is silly. If the north bridge on my old Gigabyte 790X-UDP4 never gets uncomfortably hot to the touch even when running my PII X2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.9GHz, then there's no excuse for a 990X or 990FX series board to do so much worse.

Now that I've ordered an FX-8350 and it's on its way, I'm going to have to buy a board shortly. The idea that I'm going to have to customize the heatsink on the north bridge of just about any brand new Gigabyte 990xx board I buy is disappointing.

i know what you mean. I have no idea why they run so hot to begin with. my old gigabyte 790gx board northbridge was cool to the touch. MY new 990FXA burned my finger when i poked the heatsink the first time when it was running. Then i was like well this needs a fan.
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2955 of 67911
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis44 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

well for starters the asus crosshair V has more power phases. Even with asus's larger heatsink they still run hot. I did the same thing on the my ud3. I added a fan. Active cooling on the northbridge is needed on the 990fxa chipsets. Esp when you overclock/overvolt them.

But this is pathetic. If the north bridge requires more cooling, then the board manufacturer should put on a heavier duty heat sink. If necessary, put active cooling on it from the factory. I don't mind throwing custom cooling on my CPU if I'm overclocking it because clearly, I'm running it hotter than 'standard' specs. But if I don't run the north bridge any faster than stock, the damn thing shouldn't heat up to the point where it's 80 degrees. That's just bad engineering. I can kind of give it a pass on the the lower end boards, but anything above a ~$120 board should either have a heavier duty passive cooling solution which keeps the temps below 60 degrees running at 'stock' north bridge speeds, or they should augment a good active solution. This rhetoric about how it's 'OK' to let the temps get up to 80 degrees because the chip can 'take it' is silly. If the north bridge on my old Gigabyte 790X-UDP4 never gets uncomfortably hot to the touch even when running my PII X2 550BE unlocked to 4 cores and overclocked to 3.9GHz, then there's no excuse for a 990X or 990FX series board to do so much worse.

Now that I've ordered an FX-8350 and it's on its way, I'm going to have to buy a board shortly. The idea that I'm going to have to customize the heatsink on the north bridge of just about any brand new Gigabyte 990xx board I buy is disappointing.

1: You do not need to have spot cooling. It can help is all.

2: The only Giga 990FX board to have a weak NB sink is the UD3.

If ebduncan is truly basing this on touch alone, then he has no clue. Gigabyte themselves say the NB will run hot and that it's fine.
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2956 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

i know what you mean. I have no idea why they run so hot to begin with. my old gigabyte 790gx board northbridge was cool to the touch. MY new 990FXA burned my finger when i poked the heatsink the first time when it was running. Then i was like well this needs a fan.

For whatever reason, even high end board manufacturers seem to use a lesser thermal compound or pad on the NB heatsink. Amonst the first things I do is to remove the heatsink (s) and apply a good TIM. close to always I get a 7-15c reduction in NB temps.
Part of the reason that the old (in this case you mentioned the Gigabyte 790 GX) NB's were not as warm as the new boards can be because now the VRM heatsink and the NB HS are linked via a heatpipe whereas they were not previously. Especially since so much of the NB functionality has been moved on die.


Both Gigabyte and Asus have said that 85c is within the thermal operating limits of the NB. without a fan mine will run as high as 46c and that feels damn hot to the touch. but nowhere near being a problem.
Edited by Red1776 - 11/10/12 at 7:11pm
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
2.2 kW Holodeck
(14 items)
 
Chernobyl
(0 items)
Power Station
(0 items)
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 @ 5.2GHz Gigabyte GA-990-FXA-UD7 4 x MSI R 290X 4GB Gaming 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
4 x Seagate 1 TB 7200 2 x Asus Optiarc Koolance 370 CPU WB/ AlphaCool Water cooling: ... Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
1x3+1 Eyefiniy 5760x1080 Gigabyte 8100K V.2 1-AX1200w + 2x FSP x500w Coolermaster Cosmos II Full Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2957 of 67911
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1776 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebduncan View Post

i know what you mean. I have no idea why they run so hot to begin with. my old gigabyte 790gx board northbridge was cool to the touch. MY new 990FXA burned my finger when i poked the heatsink the first time when it was running. Then i was like well this needs a fan.

For whatever reason, even high end board manufacturers seem to use a lesser thermal compound or pad on the NB heatsink. Amonst the first things I do is to remove the heatsink (s) and apply a good TIM. close to always I get a 7-15c reduction in NB temps.
Part of the reason that the old (in this case you mentioned the Gigabyte 790 GX) NB's were not as warm as the new boards can be because now the VRM heatsink and the NB HS are linked via a heatpipe whereas they were not previously. Especially since so much of the NB functionality has been moved on die.

Both Gigabyte and Asus have said that 85c is within the thermal operating limits of the NB. without a fan mine will run as high as 46c and that feels damn hot to the touch. but nowhere near being a problem.

Exactly.


Anyway, for people interested, here's a full HWiNFO report from when I was playing PS2 for a while. Crossfire should be enabled this time, though it's still only 1080p.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zxd715x6or0jyk5

EDIT: HWiNFO won't watch GPU 2 Usage. mad.gif
Edited by KyadCK - 11/10/12 at 7:18pm
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
Forge
(17 items)
 
Forge-LT
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7-5960X (4.625Ghz) ASUS X99-DELUXE/U3.1 EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid EVGA 1080ti SC2 Hybrid 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (3000Mhz 8x8GB) Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB EK Predator 240 Windows 10 Enterprise x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Acer XR341CK Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB Corsair AX1200 Corsair Graphite 780T 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Corsair Vengeance M65 RGB Sennheiser HD700 Sound Blaster AE-5 Audio Technica AT4040 
Audio
30ART Mic Tube Amp 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4720HQ UX501JW-UB71T GTX 960m 16GB 1600 9-9-9-27 
Hard DriveOSMonitor
512GB PCI-e SSD Windows 10 Pro 4k IPS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2958 of 67911
I'm in the same boat with Prime95. I can pass 5+ hours on IBT using all 16 gig just fine @5GHz/4.9v but I cant pass 2 test in prime with out losing a core, no mater how much I tweek or even strait up pour voltage to it. The closest thing I have hit that will pass 24 hour prime test is 4.5 @ 1.38v and 1.27500 on the cpu/nb and a slight bump to the NB.

[EDIT] I have been contributing this to my inexperience as a overclocker but maybe it is just prime...still makes me feel as though I'v failed.
Edited by disappearingone - 11/10/12 at 7:29pm
King Animal
(14 items)
 
Badmotorfinger
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula SLI EVGA SC GTX580 16GB 1866 Patriot Viper 3  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 ssd 64gb/ Deskstar 1.5tb sata3 Asus Bluray drive Corsair H100 pushpull 64bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
JVC 120hz 1080p 42in tv Razor Blackwidow Rosewill Lightning 1300 Rosewill Thor V2 
Mouse
Razor Deathadder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1100T ASrock 970 Extreme3 PNY GT9500  16GB GSkill Snipers  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB notsure who makes it  corsair H60  Windows7/Ubuntu 
PowerCase
cheep rosewill Rosewill challenger RT 
  hide details  
Reply
King Animal
(14 items)
 
Badmotorfinger
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula SLI EVGA SC GTX580 16GB 1866 Patriot Viper 3  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 ssd 64gb/ Deskstar 1.5tb sata3 Asus Bluray drive Corsair H100 pushpull 64bit Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
JVC 120hz 1080p 42in tv Razor Blackwidow Rosewill Lightning 1300 Rosewill Thor V2 
Mouse
Razor Deathadder 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1100T ASrock 970 Extreme3 PNY GT9500  16GB GSkill Snipers  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB notsure who makes it  corsair H60  Windows7/Ubuntu 
PowerCase
cheep rosewill Rosewill challenger RT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2959 of 67911
Quote:
or whatever reason, even high end board manufacturers seem to use a lesser thermal compound or pad on the NB heatsink. Amonst the first things I do is to remove the heatsink (s) and apply a good TIM. close to always I get a 7-15c reduction in NB temps.
Part of the reason that the old (in this case you mentioned the Gigabyte 790 GX) NB's were not as warm as the new boards can be because now the VRM heatsink and the NB HS are linked via a heatpipe whereas they were not previously. Especially since so much of the NB functionality has been moved on die.

Both Gigabyte and Asus have said that 85c is within the thermal operating limits of the NB. without a fan mine will run as high as 46c and that feels damn hot to the touch. but nowhere near being a problem.

I have replaced the Tim with quality paste.

MY 790 gx board had the vrms and northbridge connected VIA heatpipe.... It was warm to the touch. It was never a problem to touch it with my finger. Didn't even consider adding a fan to it. Even with a overclocked 1055T.
(http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2887#ov) Model GA-MA790GP-DS4H (great mobo, bought it when the first gen phenoms came out. Put a 9950 in it. Overclocked it to 3.1ghz then upgraded to a 1055T and overclocked it.

My UD3 rev 1.0 that heatsink would burn your finger. I know its with in operating temperatures. Gigabyte and other board manufactures says its safe to 80c. The New 990FXA boards just run hot. Vrms/ Northbridge. I added a fan temps dropped. I am glad i added a fan, and i feel as if its needed. Stock it wasn't a problem, but once i started to overclock the VRMS and northbridge quickly got to temperatures i didn't like. In order for me to safely proceed i needed to add a fan. (VRMS hitting 80c/ Northbridge hitting high 70's)

But i am just clueless. :rolleyes
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
Silent But Deadly
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd Ryzen 7 1700 Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VI Asus Rx 480 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3000  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Mushkin Reactor 1TB Seagate BarraCuda ST4000DM005 4TB x2 Lg hd-dvd/blu ray combo XSPC EX 240 + AlphaCool xt45 280+ Thermal Take ... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro  SAMSUNG 40" UN40KU6300 Func Kb 460 SeaSonic X Series X-850  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Arc Midi Logitech MX 518 Razor Vespula Pioneer SC-63 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2960 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingone View Post

I'm in the same boat with Prime95. I can pass 5+ hours on IBT using all 16 gig just fine @5GHz/4.9v but I cant pass 2 test in prime with out losing a core, no mater how much I tweek or even strait up pour voltage to it. The closest thing I have hit that will pass 24 hour prime test is 4.5 @ 1.38v and 1.27500 on the cpu/nb and a slight bump to the NB.
[EDIT] I have been contributing this to my inexperience as a overclocker but maybe it is just prime...still makes me feel as though I'v failed.
I keep hearing this about prime95 but I've had no problems. What MB?

prime95 gets my CPU hotter, by FAR, than any other benchmark or stress test program I regularly use. That heat has to come from somewhere -- a lot of watts are being consumed at that point. My theory is that some MBs just can't handle the load. They let the voltage droop too much when things get heavy and then you get blue screens. (or it's power supplies, or whatever the other weakest component in the system is)

You can see it go in a little cycle in prime95 - every couple of minutes there's a series of instructions that causes the temperatures to climb 4 or 5 degrees -- that's almost always when I notice instability and find out I need to adjust voltages.

I haven't used it myself, but has anybody tried toast? Especially if prime95 is killing you?

I usually use quite a bit more CPUNB volts than a lot of people I've seen posting -- from 1.4 to 1.45. Yeah, that's high, but it's what's needed to get close to 2400 MHz ram working reliably -- at least for me. AMDs overclocking guide mentioned going up to 1.45V (on air) and my MB DEFAULTS to 1.40 whenever I set it for 2400 ram, so I'm figuring it's OK. Maybe it's helped my prime95 stability?
Edited by rvaughn - 11/10/12 at 8:48pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club