Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 4060

post #40591 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

false
Because the 970 is one generation newer than 290X. Its like comparing HD6850 to HD7850. Although 6850 chows similar amounts of power to a 7850 the 7850 is almost twice as powerful. It takes both my 6850's on full reheat (1050MHz core and 1250MHz memory) to match a single 7870.

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif
No that isn't the case. Arguably since HD3XXX and definitely since HD4XXX AMD has been a thorn in Nvidia's side. Nvidia had to seriously reconsider the prices of GTX260/270 to negate the threat of AMD's HD4870 Aand HD4890. AMD was first to the DX11 party and NVidia came to the party 6 months later with Fermi. Which was arguably a mess to some and a treasure to others. Early Fermi dies were hot and ate a ton of power. HD6XXX vs GTX5XX and then HD7XXX vs. GTX6XX. And although apon release GTX 680 overtook 7970 at launch AMD caught up nicely with driver updates. AMD did not need to mess too much with Tahiti when Kepler v2.0 came out. 7970 could take on the 770 and the likes and Hawaii brought the fight to the 780 Titan and the 780TI. I don't think one can say that AMD does not know what they are doing.

Now although I am defending AMD.I am no fan boy I have been using NVidia until G84 (or whatever core the 8500GT used) And I have been with AMD since HD5770. I had two 5770's and I still think those were the best cards EVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in fact thinking about the 970 right now. I really want one. tongue.gif But I am awaiting the price drops that are bound to happen when 980TI and the likes come out.
GHOST rev 3.1
(28 items)
 
 
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 2x Sapphire R9-Fury 3840 Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res 3x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200's 2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EKWB Coolstream CE280 EKWB Coolstream PE360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm 6 Corsair ML140's  Laing D5 Vario Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2341V Roccat Ryos MK Pro Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W NZXT Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 7000 Mionix Alioth GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000 Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Athlon 860K Asus A88X-Pro MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB) Seagate ST1000VX003 Samsung HD502HI Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit Razer Lycrosa Seagate M12II 620W Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Celeron G1840 MSI Z97-Guard Pro Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsRAM
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB Stock  Windows 10 Pro  Gigabyte XP1200M 
  hide details  
Reply
GHOST rev 3.1
(28 items)
 
 
Rura Penthe
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8370 @ 4.95GHz 1.5V 2700MHz NB/3000MHz HTT ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 2x Sapphire R9-Fury 3840 Corsair Vengeance 2133 4x4GB @ 2000 9-9-10-27 1CR 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 PRO 1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint HD502HI 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC D5 Bay Res 3x CoolerMaster Storm Force 200's 2x EK-FC Fury X fullcovers EK-FC Terminal Dual Parallel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2x EK-FC Fury X Backplates XSPC Raystorm CPU Block EKWB Coolstream CE280 EKWB Coolstream PE360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
3x CoolerMaster Jetflo's 120mm 6 Corsair ML140's  Laing D5 Vario Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2341V Roccat Ryos MK Pro Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1300W NZXT Phantom 820 Black 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Mionix Naos 7000 Mionix Alioth GX Gaming SW-G2.1 3000 Kingston Hyper X Cloud Core 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Athlon 860K Asus A88X-Pro MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G-Skill Ares 2133 CL10 8GB (2x4GB) Seagate ST1000VX003 Samsung HD502HI Arctic Cooling Freezer A30 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 10 Home Edition 64bit Razer Lycrosa Seagate M12II 620W Corsair Carbide SPEC-02 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Celeron G1840 MSI Z97-Guard Pro Gigabyte RX580 Gaming 4G Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsRAM
XFX RX480 reference edition 8G Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4g Gigabyte RX570 Gaming 4G G-Skill Ares F3-1600C9D 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung 750 Evo 120GB Stock  Windows 10 Pro  Gigabyte XP1200M 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40592 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

if you upgraded from a 660ti(your sig) to a 970gtx then I can see why your impressed. The people who own 290/290x aren't as impressed with the new nvidia cards because its so close in performance. I am sure nvidia will release a faster high end card soon and then we(290/290x/780/780ti/other top end card owners) can be impressed maybe.


people keep using the power consumption argument to promote 900 series and thats fine, but I'm willing to bet most people on here want max performance not power savings

^ He explained it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

No not behind, offset, have you not paid any attention since the 00's that AMD/ATI and nVidia leap frog each other, they are most of the time 4-6 months apart in release of their cards, if you don't remember the 290x was released almost 6-7 months ago I think and the 295x2 a little after that which rivals the Titan for performance for a cheaper cost. AMD is also in the process of their next card as well which most likely will be another 6 months or so,

So no... AMD is not behind..

That would be like saying that me running DDR3 2400 cas 10 is like me behind when you are using DDR4 2600 15......
Although there, you seem to be at it again with the tossin the moneys around to prove you are better than everyone.. thought you wher over that..

Guess it always was a personality flaw of being Hurricane stable.

^ Good explanation as well

Also, 290x is 12 months old now and i did a tiny amount of research for release dates:

HD 6000 series: Dec 15th 2010, GTX 500 series: Nov 8th 2010
HD 7000 series: Jan 9th 2012, GTX 680: Mar 22nd 2012
R9 290x series: Oct 15th 2013, GTX 780: May 23rd 2013

Biggest gap is from May to October last year for Hawaii boards other than that it's a month or two wait between them.

Hurricane, I don't care about power draw with Maxwell.....If i was then i wouldn't be using the same rig i have now.

The 970's are nice cards and perform well i just don't find them impressive for the reason stated above.
Edited by Sgt Bilko - 10/1/14 at 2:00pm
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40593 of 67911
@hurricane28


look how a 970 at 1500 compares to the good ol' 7970 at 1300ish.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/2715773/fs/2865843

not mine. his :
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Why??


Here's my 7970 vs my Zotac. This is 1340/1700 vs 1500/2000 btw.


http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/2715773/fs/2865843
post #40594 of 67911
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

false
Because the 970 is one generation newer than 290X. Its like comparing HD6850 to HD7850. Although 6850 chows similar amounts of power to a 7850 the 7850 is almost twice as powerful. It takes both my 6850's on full reheat (1050MHz core and 1250MHz memory) to match a single 7870.

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif
No that isn't the case. Arguably since HD3XXX and definitely since HD4XXX AMD has been a thorn in Nvidia's side. Nvidia had to seriously reconsider the prices of GTX260/270 to negate the threat of AMD's HD4870 Aand HD4890. AMD was first to the DX11 party and NVidia came to the party 6 months later with Fermi. Which was arguably a mess to some and a treasure to others. Early Fermi dies were hot and ate a ton of power. HD6XXX vs GTX5XX and then HD7XXX vs. GTX6XX. And although apon release GTX 680 overtook 7970 at launch AMD caught up nicely with driver updates. AMD did not need to mess too much with Tahiti when Kepler v2.0 came out. 7970 could take on the 770 and the likes and Hawaii brought the fight to the 780 Titan and the 780TI. I don't think one can say that AMD does not know what they are doing.

Now although I am defending AMD.I am no fan boy I have been using NVidia until G84 (or whatever core the 8500GT used) And I have been with AMD since HD5770. I had two 5770's and I still think those were the best cards EVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in fact thinking about the 970 right now. I really want one. tongue.gif But I am awaiting the price drops that are bound to happen when 980TI and the likes come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

if you upgraded from a 660ti(your sig) to a 970gtx then I can see why your impressed. The people who own 290/290x aren't as impressed with the new nvidia cards because its so close in performance. I am sure nvidia will release a faster high end card soon and then we(290/290x/780/780ti/other top end card owners) can be impressed maybe.


people keep using the power consumption argument to promote 900 series and thats fine, but I'm willing to bet most people on here want max performance not power savings

^ He explained it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

No not behind, offset, have you not paid any attention since the 00's that AMD/ATI and nVidia leap frog each other, they are most of the time 4-6 months apart in release of their cards, if you don't remember the 290x was released almost 6-7 months ago I think and the 295x2 a little after that which rivals the Titan for performance for a cheaper cost. AMD is also in the process of their next card as well which most likely will be another 6 months or so,

So no... AMD is not behind..

That would be like saying that me running DDR3 2400 cas 10 is like me behind when you are using DDR4 2600 15......
Although there, you seem to be at it again with the tossin the moneys around to prove you are better than everyone.. thought you wher over that..

Guess it always was a personality flaw of being Hurricane stable.

^ Good explanation as well

Also, 290x is 12 months old now and i did a tiny amount of research for release dates:

HD 6000 series: Dec 15th 2010, GTX 500 series: Nov 8th 2010
HD 7000 series: Jan 9th 2012, GTX 680: Mar 22nd 2012
R9 290x series: Oct 15th 2013, GTX 780: May 23rd 2013

Biggest gap is from May to October last year for Hawaii boards other than that it's a month or two wait between them.

Hurricane, I don't care about power draw with Maxwell.....If i was then i wouldn't be using the same rig i have now.

The 970's are nice cards and perform well i just don't find them impressive for the reason stated above.

dont bother, he is trying to argue the newest gen from nvidia which if scheduled with amds releases ( as you stated ) would be fighting against last gen from amd.

he did the same with his 660tis, he was proven wrong then and as soon as amd drops 390x he will again eat crow.

wont even get in to the fact how little money that extra 50w consumes
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40595 of 67911
I'm so tired of hearing how a lower TDP saves more money than a higher one... I don't OC to even care about savings....

As overclockers on OVERCLOCK.NET in the FX-8300 thread most of us could care less about power savings at this point.. The total savings I would see by using a processor with anything less then 125w TDP would be so small I wouldn't care about it anyway..
GrandPa's Gamer
(15 items)
 
Mini -ITX build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus 7 Hero Powercolor RX Vega 64 w/EK Water Block 16gb of G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb, 840 EVO 250gb, 840 Pr... 1 TB something.. Asus CD/DVD Drive Custom Water Loop cooling CPU and GPU 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" VG248QE 144hz, Asus 24" VE247H Razer Blackwidow Ultimate XFX Pro Black 850w PSU Phanteks Enthoo Primo Black/Red 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Turtle Beach PX21 headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel g3258 @ 4.2ghz  Asrock B85M-ITX XFX R7 250 4gb PNY 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840, 120gb SSD Samsung USB drive stock Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer CM Storm Devastator 300 watt COOLER MASTER Elite 110 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Devastator Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
GrandPa's Gamer
(15 items)
 
Mini -ITX build
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4790k @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus 7 Hero Powercolor RX Vega 64 w/EK Water Block 16gb of G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x Samsung 850 EVO 500gb, 840 EVO 250gb, 840 Pr... 1 TB something.. Asus CD/DVD Drive Custom Water Loop cooling CPU and GPU 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24" VG248QE 144hz, Asus 24" VE247H Razer Blackwidow Ultimate XFX Pro Black 850w PSU Phanteks Enthoo Primo Black/Red 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder Turtle Beach PX21 headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel g3258 @ 4.2ghz  Asrock B85M-ITX XFX R7 250 4gb PNY 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840, 120gb SSD Samsung USB drive stock Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer CM Storm Devastator 300 watt COOLER MASTER Elite 110 
MouseAudio
CM Storm Devastator Onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40596 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

dont bother, he is trying to argue the newest gen from nvidia which if scheduled with amds releases ( as you stated ) would be fighting against last gen from amd.

he did the same with his 660tis, he was proven wrong then and as soon as amd drops 390x he will again eat crow.

wont even get in to the fact how little money that extra 50w consumes


lol..

Let's just accept it, nVidia pulled off a good trick. biggrin.gifapplaud.gif

ever since the Maxwell launched, they have fooled off people by their TDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by By-Tor View Post

I'm so tired of hearing how a lower TDP saves more money than a higher one... I don't OC to even care about savings....

As overclockers on OVERCLOCK.NET in the FX-8300 thread most of us could care less about power savings at this point.. The total savings I would see by using a processor with anything less then 125w TDP would be so small I wouldn't care about it anyway..


People should not forget how Overvolting and Overclocking relate to Power Consumption, really.

And noticed what nVidia did to put the card inside the TDP envelope?

How on earth can these people believed the cards OC like crazy? How are they even sure nVidia didn't know what clocks Maxwell can produce at the cost of TDP and Power consumption?

And more if without limiting them. tongue.gif

Simple truth is, they still cannot push people to buy their new line of cards without hitting the other firm in the BUM.
Oweeeelllll,
Edited by mus1mus - 10/1/14 at 6:08pm
post #40597 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

lol..

Let's just accept it, nVidia pulled off a good trick. biggrin.gifapplaud.gif

ever since the Maxwell launched, they have fooled off people by their TDP.
People should not forget how Overvolting and Overclocking relate to Power Consumption, really.

And noticed what nVidia did to put the card inside the TDP envelope?

How on earth can these people believed the cards OC like crazy? How are they even sure nVidia didn't know what clocks Maxwell can produce at the cost of TDP and Power consumption?

And more if without limiting them. tongue.gif

Simple truth is, they still cannot push people to buy their new line of cards without hitting the other firm in the BUM.
Oweeeelllll,
its kinda like i found out with my 650ti i had before it sipped power but didnt overclock very well... i mean it was a good card for the price i got it for but it does seem everytime ive bought a card with low tdp it never overclocks well... kinda like buying a locked processor... i dunno i really wanna jump the fence back to amd side but im unsure... when i bought my current card the mining craze was going nuts so amd cards were going for crazy high prices..and i got this one for 260 i felt i got a good deal at the time...
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
NEWBIE
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD 8320e Asus Sabertooth R2.0 xfx r9 290 xfx r9 290 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill rip jaws  Samsung 840 Pro WD BLUE 64MB Cache Ocz vertex 3 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech h220x  alphacool nexxos st30 280mm radiator alphacool coolplex pro LT10 100mm reservoir Swiftech h220 rad only 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 64 Bit ENTERPRISE edition Acer 23" 1080p  asus 19" Dell Media Center  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Photon 1200W Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech G5 or Steel Series MW2 edition Generic Cheapy 
AudioAudioAudio
GEMINI HSR-1000 Logitech 5.1 surround ZALMAN clip on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40598 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

false
Because the 970 is one generation newer than 290X. Its like comparing HD6850 to HD7850. Although 6850 chows similar amounts of power to a 7850 the 7850 is almost twice as powerful. It takes both my 6850's on full reheat (1050MHz core and 1250MHz memory) to match a single 7870.

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif
No that isn't the case. Arguably since HD3XXX and definitely since HD4XXX AMD has been a thorn in Nvidia's side. Nvidia had to seriously reconsider the prices of GTX260/270 to negate the threat of AMD's HD4870 Aand HD4890. AMD was first to the DX11 party and NVidia came to the party 6 months later with Fermi. Which was arguably a mess to some and a treasure to others. Early Fermi dies were hot and ate a ton of power. HD6XXX vs GTX5XX and then HD7XXX vs. GTX6XX. And although apon release GTX 680 overtook 7970 at launch AMD caught up nicely with driver updates. AMD did not need to mess too much with Tahiti when Kepler v2.0 came out. 7970 could take on the 770 and the likes and Hawaii brought the fight to the 780 Titan and the 780TI. I don't think one can say that AMD does not know what they are doing.

Now although I am defending AMD.I am no fan boy I have been using NVidia until G84 (or whatever core the 8500GT used) And I have been with AMD since HD5770. I had two 5770's and I still think those were the best cards EVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in fact thinking about the 970 right now. I really want one. tongue.gif But I am awaiting the price drops that are bound to happen when 980TI and the likes come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

if you upgraded from a 660ti(your sig) to a 970gtx then I can see why your impressed. The people who own 290/290x aren't as impressed with the new nvidia cards because its so close in performance. I am sure nvidia will release a faster high end card soon and then we(290/290x/780/780ti/other top end card owners) can be impressed maybe.


people keep using the power consumption argument to promote 900 series and thats fine, but I'm willing to bet most people on here want max performance not power savings

^ He explained it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

No not behind, offset, have you not paid any attention since the 00's that AMD/ATI and nVidia leap frog each other, they are most of the time 4-6 months apart in release of their cards, if you don't remember the 290x was released almost 6-7 months ago I think and the 295x2 a little after that which rivals the Titan for performance for a cheaper cost. AMD is also in the process of their next card as well which most likely will be another 6 months or so,

So no... AMD is not behind..

That would be like saying that me running DDR3 2400 cas 10 is like me behind when you are using DDR4 2600 15......
Although there, you seem to be at it again with the tossin the moneys around to prove you are better than everyone.. thought you wher over that..

Guess it always was a personality flaw of being Hurricane stable.

^ Good explanation as well

Also, 290x is 12 months old now and i did a tiny amount of research for release dates:

HD 6000 series: Dec 15th 2010, GTX 500 series: Nov 8th 2010
HD 7000 series: Jan 9th 2012, GTX 680: Mar 22nd 2012
R9 290x series: Oct 15th 2013, GTX 780: May 23rd 2013

Biggest gap is from May to October last year for Hawaii boards other than that it's a month or two wait between them.

Hurricane, I don't care about power draw with Maxwell.....If i was then i wouldn't be using the same rig i have now.

The 970's are nice cards and perform well i just don't find them impressive for the reason stated above.

dont bother, he is trying to argue the newest gen from nvidia which if scheduled with amds releases ( as you stated ) would be fighting against last gen from amd.

he did the same with his 660tis, he was proven wrong then and as soon as amd drops 390x he will again eat crow.

wont even get in to the fact how little money that extra 50w consumes

Yeah I know....

Sad thing is 970's are the same price as 290's here so here at least the price arguement doesnt make sense either.

I do have a preference for AMD gear but im not ignorant about other hardware
First line on my profile since I joined OCN.
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40599 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

false
Because the 970 is one generation newer than 290X. Its like comparing HD6850 to HD7850. Although 6850 chows similar amounts of power to a 7850 the 7850 is almost twice as powerful. It takes both my 6850's on full reheat (1050MHz core and 1250MHz memory) to match a single 7870.

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif
No that isn't the case. Arguably since HD3XXX and definitely since HD4XXX AMD has been a thorn in Nvidia's side. Nvidia had to seriously reconsider the prices of GTX260/270 to negate the threat of AMD's HD4870 Aand HD4890. AMD was first to the DX11 party and NVidia came to the party 6 months later with Fermi. Which was arguably a mess to some and a treasure to others. Early Fermi dies were hot and ate a ton of power. HD6XXX vs GTX5XX and then HD7XXX vs. GTX6XX. And although apon release GTX 680 overtook 7970 at launch AMD caught up nicely with driver updates. AMD did not need to mess too much with Tahiti when Kepler v2.0 came out. 7970 could take on the 770 and the likes and Hawaii brought the fight to the 780 Titan and the 780TI. I don't think one can say that AMD does not know what they are doing.

Now although I am defending AMD.I am no fan boy I have been using NVidia until G84 (or whatever core the 8500GT used) And I have been with AMD since HD5770. I had two 5770's and I still think those were the best cards EVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in fact thinking about the 970 right now. I really want one. tongue.gif But I am awaiting the price drops that are bound to happen when 980TI and the likes come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

if you upgraded from a 660ti(your sig) to a 970gtx then I can see why your impressed. The people who own 290/290x aren't as impressed with the new nvidia cards because its so close in performance. I am sure nvidia will release a faster high end card soon and then we(290/290x/780/780ti/other top end card owners) can be impressed maybe.


people keep using the power consumption argument to promote 900 series and thats fine, but I'm willing to bet most people on here want max performance not power savings

^ He explained it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

No not behind, offset, have you not paid any attention since the 00's that AMD/ATI and nVidia leap frog each other, they are most of the time 4-6 months apart in release of their cards, if you don't remember the 290x was released almost 6-7 months ago I think and the 295x2 a little after that which rivals the Titan for performance for a cheaper cost. AMD is also in the process of their next card as well which most likely will be another 6 months or so,

So no... AMD is not behind..

That would be like saying that me running DDR3 2400 cas 10 is like me behind when you are using DDR4 2600 15......
Although there, you seem to be at it again with the tossin the moneys around to prove you are better than everyone.. thought you wher over that..

Guess it always was a personality flaw of being Hurricane stable.

^ Good explanation as well

Also, 290x is 12 months old now and i did a tiny amount of research for release dates:

HD 6000 series: Dec 15th 2010, GTX 500 series: Nov 8th 2010
HD 7000 series: Jan 9th 2012, GTX 680: Mar 22nd 2012
R9 290x series: Oct 15th 2013, GTX 780: May 23rd 2013

Biggest gap is from May to October last year for Hawaii boards other than that it's a month or two wait between them.

Hurricane, I don't care about power draw with Maxwell.....If i was then i wouldn't be using the same rig i have now.

The 970's are nice cards and perform well i just don't find them impressive for the reason stated above.

dont bother, he is trying to argue the newest gen from nvidia which if scheduled with amds releases ( as you stated ) would be fighting against last gen from amd.

he did the same with his 660tis, he was proven wrong then and as soon as amd drops 390x he will again eat crow.

wont even get in to the fact how little money that extra 50w consumes

50w an hour here is .35 of a cent at most...

not to mention his msi 970 isn't a reference model (as there was none.) those cards are 300w cards.

http://www.msi.com//pic/image/vga/gaming/twinfrozr_2.jpg 8pin + 6 pin... so exact same draw as the 290...

SO i will echo what a few have said.. not impressed. try high res non canned benches to impress ppl ya?

these cards didn't make me want to dump my 780 ti or 290x for them.

I'm interested to see what both have to show for this generation.
Beast Schlampe
(17 items)
 
My Kaveri Project
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Fx-8370-e Crosshair V formula Z  Zotac GTX 780ti Amp edition Gskill trident 2400 @ 2400- 10-12-12-31-41 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2x Adata SX900 128GB SSD in Raid 0 Zalman VE300 Deepcool Captain 360 Nzxt g10 + h110 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 pro Asus pg278Q lg 29' ultra wide ips Roccat Ryos glow MX black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X850 Fractal Design Arc XL corsair m45 corsair massive keyboard and mouse pad 
Audio
Razer Kraken pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Beast Schlampe
(17 items)
 
My Kaveri Project
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
amd Fx-8370-e Crosshair V formula Z  Zotac GTX 780ti Amp edition Gskill trident 2400 @ 2400- 10-12-12-31-41 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
2x Adata SX900 128GB SSD in Raid 0 Zalman VE300 Deepcool Captain 360 Nzxt g10 + h110 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 pro Asus pg278Q lg 29' ultra wide ips Roccat Ryos glow MX black 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X850 Fractal Design Arc XL corsair m45 corsair massive keyboard and mouse pad 
Audio
Razer Kraken pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40600 of 67911
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

false
Because the 970 is one generation newer than 290X. Its like comparing HD6850 to HD7850. Although 6850 chows similar amounts of power to a 7850 the 7850 is almost twice as powerful. It takes both my 6850's on full reheat (1050MHz core and 1250MHz memory) to match a single 7870.

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif
No that isn't the case. Arguably since HD3XXX and definitely since HD4XXX AMD has been a thorn in Nvidia's side. Nvidia had to seriously reconsider the prices of GTX260/270 to negate the threat of AMD's HD4870 Aand HD4890. AMD was first to the DX11 party and NVidia came to the party 6 months later with Fermi. Which was arguably a mess to some and a treasure to others. Early Fermi dies were hot and ate a ton of power. HD6XXX vs GTX5XX and then HD7XXX vs. GTX6XX. And although apon release GTX 680 overtook 7970 at launch AMD caught up nicely with driver updates. AMD did not need to mess too much with Tahiti when Kepler v2.0 came out. 7970 could take on the 770 and the likes and Hawaii brought the fight to the 780 Titan and the 780TI. I don't think one can say that AMD does not know what they are doing.

Now although I am defending AMD.I am no fan boy I have been using NVidia until G84 (or whatever core the 8500GT used) And I have been with AMD since HD5770. I had two 5770's and I still think those were the best cards EVARRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in fact thinking about the 970 right now. I really want one. tongue.gif But I am awaiting the price drops that are bound to happen when 980TI and the likes come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Bilko View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DividebyZERO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

if you upgraded from a 660ti(your sig) to a 970gtx then I can see why your impressed. The people who own 290/290x aren't as impressed with the new nvidia cards because its so close in performance. I am sure nvidia will release a faster high end card soon and then we(290/290x/780/780ti/other top end card owners) can be impressed maybe.


people keep using the power consumption argument to promote 900 series and thats fine, but I'm willing to bet most people on here want max performance not power savings

^ He explained it best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3ERS 2 ASH3S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

that has nothing to do with it, its just than AMD is behind Nvidia. Its like comparing AMD with Intel basically.

I have the same performance with half the bus speed and half of the power draw, that is not because of newer generation but with lack of know how.

To say that the GTX 970 is ''not that impressive'' is pretty ignorant and basically you say i am an AMD/ATI fanboy rolleyes.gif

No not behind, offset, have you not paid any attention since the 00's that AMD/ATI and nVidia leap frog each other, they are most of the time 4-6 months apart in release of their cards, if you don't remember the 290x was released almost 6-7 months ago I think and the 295x2 a little after that which rivals the Titan for performance for a cheaper cost. AMD is also in the process of their next card as well which most likely will be another 6 months or so,

So no... AMD is not behind..

That would be like saying that me running DDR3 2400 cas 10 is like me behind when you are using DDR4 2600 15......
Although there, you seem to be at it again with the tossin the moneys around to prove you are better than everyone.. thought you wher over that..

Guess it always was a personality flaw of being Hurricane stable.

^ Good explanation as well

Also, 290x is 12 months old now and i did a tiny amount of research for release dates:

HD 6000 series: Dec 15th 2010, GTX 500 series: Nov 8th 2010
HD 7000 series: Jan 9th 2012, GTX 680: Mar 22nd 2012
R9 290x series: Oct 15th 2013, GTX 780: May 23rd 2013

Biggest gap is from May to October last year for Hawaii boards other than that it's a month or two wait between them.

Hurricane, I don't care about power draw with Maxwell.....If i was then i wouldn't be using the same rig i have now.

The 970's are nice cards and perform well i just don't find them impressive for the reason stated above.

dont bother, he is trying to argue the newest gen from nvidia which if scheduled with amds releases ( as you stated ) would be fighting against last gen from amd.

he did the same with his 660tis, he was proven wrong then and as soon as amd drops 390x he will again eat crow.

wont even get in to the fact how little money that extra 50w consumes

50w an hour here is .35 of a cent at most...

not to mention his msi 970 isn't a reference model (as there was none.) those cards are 300w cards.

http://www.msi.com//pic/image/vga/gaming/twinfrozr_2.jpg 8pin + 6 pin... so exact same draw as the 290...

SO i will echo what a few have said.. not impressed. try high res non canned benches to impress ppl ya?

these cards didn't make me want to dump my 780 ti or 290x for them.

I'm interested to see what both have to show for this generation.


Wait....you mean bench some actual games?

Would be interesting to see some real world results.
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Ryze of the Devil
(13 items)
 
FX Trooper 2.0
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (ES) X399 Aorus Gaming 7 Sapphire RX Vega 64 32GB TridentZ RGB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
240GB HyperX Predator 500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2TB Firecuda EK Predator 360 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Win 10 Pro Phillips 349X7FJEW LG 34UM95 Logitech G910 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200i Thermaltake Core X9 Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath 
Audio
Logitech G933 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1600 MSI X370 Xpower Gaming Titanium  RX580 Red Devil 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo OCZ Trion 150 Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Win 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Nixeus NX-VUE24A Thermaltake Poseidon Z RGB Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 750w Thermaltake View 31 RGB 
Mouse
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8370 Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z R9 290x 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Evo 250GB Samsung External Blu-Ray Burner Fractal Design Kelvin S36 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Whatever Logitech G19 Silverstone ST1200w CM Storm Trooper 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G502 Star Citizen Drake Goliath Logitech X530 5.1 Logitech G930 7.1 Wireless Headset 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club