Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 6062

post #60611 of 67894
Good discussion here. I agree that an OC gaming rig is not exactly at the top of the list for reducing energy use/carbon footprint. Too, videocard choice is more important than CPU choice in terms of energy consumption. I do put a lot of effort into conserving energy otherwise. I'd argue that Intel chips are at least a little bit more efficient, particularly at stock clocks. Also, I would say that FX chips poor stock performance and huge OC headroom make the chips underclocked at stock with a deflated TDP. it's kind of silly to buy an FX for gaming and not OC. My 95W 8320e is going to pull more than 95W while stress testing or gaming and significantly less otherwise. I don't have the equipment to measure electricity usage, but I have read that if you push an FX chip toward 9590 performance, you'll be pushing toward 9590 power consumption which is pretty high.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8320e 4.7 @1.536 Asus Aura 970 gtx 1060 Kingston Hyper X Blu 1333 @ 1866 9-11-11-36 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
BP5e Slim Series Caviar Green 640GB Sony Optiarc DVD PH-TC14PE 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phateks PH-F140SP Phateks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F200SP Cooler Master Sickleflow 120  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Glide Stream SY1425HB12M-P Windows 10 Gateway 21" 1080p  Cheap Cheap 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
DeepCool 750ST Enthoo Pro M Cheap Ultra Cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8320e 4.7 @1.536 Asus Aura 970 gtx 1060 Kingston Hyper X Blu 1333 @ 1866 9-11-11-36 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
BP5e Slim Series Caviar Green 640GB Sony Optiarc DVD PH-TC14PE 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phateks PH-F140SP Phateks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F200SP Cooler Master Sickleflow 120  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Glide Stream SY1425HB12M-P Windows 10 Gateway 21" 1080p  Cheap Cheap 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
DeepCool 750ST Enthoo Pro M Cheap Ultra Cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60612 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdayve View Post

Good discussion here. I agree that an OC gaming rig is not exactly at the top of the list for reducing energy use/carbon footprint. Too, videocard choice is more important than CPU choice in terms of energy consumption. I do put a lot of effort into conserving energy otherwise. I'd argue that Intel chips are at least a little bit more efficient, particularly at stock clocks. Also, I would say that FX chips poor stock performance and huge OC headroom make the chips underclocked at stock with a deflated TDP. it's kind of silly to buy an FX for gaming and not OC. My 95W 8320e is going to pull more than 95W while stress testing or gaming and significantly less otherwise. I don't have the equipment to measure electricity usage, but I have read that if you push an FX chip toward 9590 performance, you'll be pushing toward 9590 power consumption which is pretty high.

9590 pulls around what a overclocked 5960x to around 4.2 1.3 vcore would pull which is around 350 watts. I mean Hell if you are really worried about it get a quadcore i7 and dont oc. That should keep you around 130 watt full load but what fun is that. 6 and 8 core cpus are gonna pull massive power overclocked its just how it works. I plan on going rx480 soon and zen which should smoke my rig in power efficiency. 4.7 ghz 8350 at 1.4 vcore and a heavily overclocked 6970. ITs pulling like 400-450 at any given time while gaming.
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60613 of 67894
My 9590 should be here soon, as I've sold my 8350. I wanted something a bit less heat production as my 8350 at 5ghz is above 1.6v.

When using power if power consumption is a massive issue for most when running a PC then maybe they should just not buy one to begin with. biggrin.gif
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60614 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

9590 pulls around what a overclocked 5960x to around 4.2 1.3 vcore would pull which is around 350 watts. I mean Hell if you are really worried about it get a quadcore i7 and dont oc. That should keep you around 130 watt full load but what fun is that. 6 and 8 core cpus are gonna pull massive power overclocked its just how it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjiw View Post

My 9590 should be here soon, as I've sold my 8350. I wanted something a bit less heat production as my 8350 at 5ghz is above 1.6v.

When using power if power consumption is a massive issue for most when running a PC then maybe they should just not buy one to begin with. biggrin.gif

pretty much how i feel. If you cant afford the power draw get a damn console lol.
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60615 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post


pretty much how i feel. If you cant afford the power draw get a damn console lol.

All true, but good performance per watt and low temps are both good things. Even for consoles biggrin.gif That's part of the reason there are multiple versions of a given console throughout a console generation. Also, one reason there are updates to CPU's within a single generation.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8320e 4.7 @1.536 Asus Aura 970 gtx 1060 Kingston Hyper X Blu 1333 @ 1866 9-11-11-36 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
BP5e Slim Series Caviar Green 640GB Sony Optiarc DVD PH-TC14PE 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phateks PH-F140SP Phateks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F200SP Cooler Master Sickleflow 120  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Glide Stream SY1425HB12M-P Windows 10 Gateway 21" 1080p  Cheap Cheap 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
DeepCool 750ST Enthoo Pro M Cheap Ultra Cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx 8320e 4.7 @1.536 Asus Aura 970 gtx 1060 Kingston Hyper X Blu 1333 @ 1866 9-11-11-36 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
BP5e Slim Series Caviar Green 640GB Sony Optiarc DVD PH-TC14PE 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Phateks PH-F140SP Phateks PH-F140SP Phanteks PH-F200SP Cooler Master Sickleflow 120  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Scythe Glide Stream SY1425HB12M-P Windows 10 Gateway 21" 1080p  Cheap Cheap 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
DeepCool 750ST Enthoo Pro M Cheap Ultra Cheap 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60616 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

9590 pulls around what a overclocked 5960x to around 4.2 1.3 vcore would pull which is around 350 watts. I mean Hell if you are really worried about it get a quadcore i7 and dont oc. That should keep you around 130 watt full load but what fun is that. 6 and 8 core cpus are gonna pull massive power overclocked its just how it works. I plan on going rx480 soon and zen which should smoke my rig in power efficiency. 4.7 ghz 8350 at 1.4 vcore and a heavily overclocked 6970. ITs pulling like 400-450 at any given time while gaming.

Not always true.

Just to give a proper idea, my 5930K 4.6/1.3V pulls moar Watts than my FX at 5.1/1.5V

5960X are different monsters. The higher the clocks, even with lesser Voltages, they can pull quite a lot of power.



I'm kinda thinking selling my Hawaiis and grab some RX480s. I can maybe run 4 of them in a 1250W PSU. biggrin.gif
post #60617 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

Not always true.

Just to give a proper idea, my 5930K 4.6/1.3V pulls moar Watts than my FX at 5.1/1.5V

5960X are different monsters. The higher the clocks, even with lesser Voltages, they can pull quite a lot of power.



I'm kinda thinking selling my Hawaiis and grab some RX480s. I can maybe run 4 of them in a 1250W PSU. biggrin.gif

even better. A 32 nm 8 core pulls less power than a 22 nm 6 core. That just says more for what i was trying to prove. Performance wise the intel chips slaughter the fx series. Price to performance not so much unless you get cheap lack luster boards and a locked i5.. Power consumption is about what and what core for core.
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60618 of 67894
The difference is that, 32nm FX has lesser chip density than the Core i7 HEDT 22nm. The amount of transistors will dictate Current and as a result, Power Consumption.

Overclocking the i7s, too, does not scale linearly with Power Consumption ad you have disable some of the power saving techniques that Intel employ.

One example, on the RVE, Power Headroom or TDP can be raised to a whopping 240% from stock of 140W. thumb.gif
post #60619 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

The difference is that, 32nm FX has lesser chip density than the Core i7 HEDT 22nm. The amount of transistors will dictate Current and as a result, Power Consumption.

Overclocking the i7s, too, does not scale linearly with Power Consumption ad you have disable some of the power saving techniques that Intel employ.

One example, on the RVE, Power Headroom or TDP can be raised to a whopping 240% from stock of 140W. thumb.gif

but you tend to also turn off cool and quiet and most of the power saving stuff when overclocking a fx chip ;p
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
fx8350
(6 items)
 
x58 fun
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
fx8350 @ 4.7 1.38 asus m5a97 r2.0 le modded with vrm heatsinks GTX 480 X2 @ 900/2000 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveCooling
some off brand ssd  custom loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
w3520@ 4.5 p6t deluxe v2 6970 x2 @ 950 depends on my mood ;) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCooling
ssd who uses these? custom loop 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60620 of 67894
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

but you tend to also turn off cool and quiet and most of the power saving stuff when overclocking a fx chip ;p

Really? I have all mine turned on, runs like a charm and reduces thermals really well. still as sharp as it could be with the 5ghz overclock, love it.
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
Kraken
(5 items)
 
500R Chernobyl
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k Asus Maximus VII Ranger MSI GTX 970 Hyper X Savage  
Cooling
Custom Loop 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW Hyper x HX324C11SRK2/16 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK AMD LTX XSPC Nylon Dual 5.25 Reservoir Inc Laing D5  Coolgate Triple HD360 Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 240mm 
OSMonitorCase
Windows 7 Ultimate Samsung SyncMaster 2032BW Carbide Series® 500R White Mid-Tower Case 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club