Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club - Page 6726

post #67251 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

do you think it is worth upgrading to the 9590 to see if i can get a better OC?

i found one on e bay shipping included at $89 and am on the verge of clicking the buy button.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-FX-9590-Vishera-Eight-Core-4-7GHz-Black-Edition-/172827716521?epid=197324053&hash=item283d55aba9:g:nqMAAOSwCJRZj8A3

i was planning to save money for a ryzen or tr upgrade, but at that price even if i sold it later i would make money

most people have had semi-bad luck with the 9xxx vishera's... they are very high leakage chips which means heat heat and more heat... also high current demand... I got really lucky with mine... I mean seriously lucky... I have the cooling needed btw... but mine only takes 1.464v to stabilize 5ghz on all cores... but at stock they are pretty hot too... so its up to you... you would be looking at around 15% performance improvement over 8350 at stock.... depends on how far you oc'd if you can expect anymore perf out of it... pretty much going to be able to get any 9590 to 4.9.... 5.0 and up gets iffy... mine only goes to 5.1 stable... and 5.4 for short usage.

beware of ebay sellers with 0 feedback
Edited by Minotaurtoo - 8/20/17 at 2:49pm
post #67252 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

I wouldn't bother. Both of my 9XXX chips are just too hot and take a lot of voltage - not sure your board or cooling are good enough to push one further than an 8xxx.

running a 480 and 280 rad with modded vrm coolers and direct airflow over the vrm with a 120mm 2200rpm fan and modded heat sinks even. recently changed it from horizontally blowing over them to blowing vertically down on them from 3" away and saw improvements, but not able to get 5.0 still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

most people have had semi-bad luck with the 9xxx vishera's... they are very high leakage chips which means heat heat and more heat... also high current demand... I got really lucky with mine... I mean seriously lucky... I have the cooling needed btw... but mine only takes 1.464v to stabilize 5ghz on all cores... but at stock they are pretty hot too... so its up to you... you would be looking at around 15% performance improvement over 8350 at stock.... depends on how far you oc'd if you can expect anymore perf out of it... pretty much going to be able to get any 9590 to 4.9.... 5.0 and up gets iffy... mine only goes to 5.1 stable... and 5.4 for short usage.

beware of ebay sellers with 0 feedback

i mean you have the buyer protection and stuff on ebay, and for $89 not really worried. i got my 8350 to 4.9 24/7 but that is the max i can take it. vrm and cpu are cool, no throttling or anything under any stress tests, but i can not get a stable 5.0 on it. i am leaning towards it being more the mobo than the chip but idk since i have never had another to play with.

it is right on the verge of being stable at 4.99ghz, but i have tried everything and been unsuccessful at getting it as stable as i would like to use it 24/7.


edit: listing is closed, i did not buy it but am still on the fence. i feel like my chip is poor oc'er. to be stable at 4.9ghz i have v core set to 1.58v with LLC on medium, under load voltage is usually at 1.548-1.56. I have pushed the voltage way beyond what most would be comfortable trying to see where it would be stable at 5.0 with, and it always either crashes immediately or fails eventually. (depending on what settings i am trying) I feel like there is some fail safe on the max voltage i can run because any LLC above medium at 5.0 and these crazy voltages forces me to hit the cmos reset button, and just pushing the voltage into the sky usually does the same thing.

i just wish i knew if my limit was coming from my processor or something else in my system

also
@dansuso

have you tried a little higher voltage or using a high/extreme LLC? i know the higher LLC settings on that board work pretty good for low-mid oc settings. also why not try pushing the nb to 1.25? as long as temps stay in line you can at least run some tests to see what numbers you need to post/boot into windows/or even be stable.
Edited by jaredismee - 8/20/17 at 5:38pm
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67253 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cssorkinman View Post

I wouldn't bother. Both of my 9XXX chips are just too hot and take a lot of voltage - not sure your board or cooling are good enough to push one further than an 8xxx.

running a 480 and 280 rad with modded vrm coolers and direct airflow over the vrm with a 120mm 2200rpm fan and modded heat sinks even. recently changed it from horizontally blowing over them to blowing vertically down on them from 3" away and saw improvements, but not able to get 5.0 still.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

most people have had semi-bad luck with the 9xxx vishera's... they are very high leakage chips which means heat heat and more heat... also high current demand... I got really lucky with mine... I mean seriously lucky... I have the cooling needed btw... but mine only takes 1.464v to stabilize 5ghz on all cores... but at stock they are pretty hot too... so its up to you... you would be looking at around 15% performance improvement over 8350 at stock.... depends on how far you oc'd if you can expect anymore perf out of it... pretty much going to be able to get any 9590 to 4.9.... 5.0 and up gets iffy... mine only goes to 5.1 stable... and 5.4 for short usage.

beware of ebay sellers with 0 feedback

i mean you have the buyer protection and stuff on ebay, and for $89 not really worried. i got my 8350 to 4.9 24/7 but that is the max i can take it. vrm and cpu are cool, no throttling or anything under any stress tests, but i can not get a stable 5.0 on it. i am leaning towards it being more the mobo than the chip but idk since i have never had another to play with.

it is right on the verge of being stable at 4.99ghz, but i have tried everything and been unsuccessful at getting it as stable as i would like to use it 24/7.


edit: listing is closed, i did not buy it but am still on the fence. i feel like my chip is poor oc'er. to be stable at 4.9ghz i have v core set to 1.58v with LLC on medium, under load voltage is usually at 1.548-1.56. I have pushed the voltage way beyond what most would be comfortable trying to see where it would be stable at 5.0 with, and it always either crashes immediately or fails eventually. (depending on what settings i am trying) I feel like there is some fail safe on the max voltage i can run because any LLC above medium at 5.0 and these crazy voltages forces me to hit the cmos reset button, and just pushing the voltage into the sky usually does the same thing.

i just wish i knew if my limit was coming from my processor or something else in my system

also
@dansuso

have you tried a little higher voltage or using a high/extreme LLC? i know the higher LLC settings on that board work pretty good for low-mid oc settings. also why not try pushing the nb to 1.25? as long as temps stay in line you can at least run some tests to see what numbers you need to post/boot into windows/or even be stable.

I guess you have the cooling. I just don't know much about your board, generally I'd say the CHV-Z, UD5/7 or Sabretooth are the only options for 5ghz + daily on a 9xxx .
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen Shine!
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800X @ 4125mhz 1.432 Volts MSI X370 Titanium   Fury  G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 pro Hp 1260 I liquid unobtanium Koolance 480mm radiator, 39... Win 7 HP/Winspy 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
24" hp @ 1900x1200 Logitech G19 PC power and cooling 910 watt silencer Thermaltake P5 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech MX 518 fUnc industries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67254 of 67910
on my old 8350 it hit a wall at 4.8 ghz... even at 1.65v would barely bench at 5ghz... and to do that I had to turn off the heat in this room on a cold night lol... this 9590 volt for volt is much hotter than my 8350 was... but it takes so much less voltage to get it stable it works out... I had to run 1.55v to get my 8350 stable at 4.8, but this chip only takes 1.464 to get stable at 5ghz.... but it produced as much heat as my 8350 at 1.55v.... that being said I could get it stable at 5.1 with 1.50 volts.... and heat is similar to 1.6v on the 8350... barely acceptable... in winter I run it there... but in summer it heats the room up to much.
post #67255 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

on my old 8350 it hit a wall at 4.8 ghz... even at 1.65v would barely bench at 5ghz... and to do that I had to turn off the heat in this room on a cold night lol... this 9590 volt for volt is much hotter than my 8350 was... but it takes so much less voltage to get it stable it works out... I had to run 1.55v to get my 8350 stable at 4.8, but this chip only takes 1.464 to get stable at 5ghz.... but it produced as much heat as my 8350 at 1.55v.... that being said I could get it stable at 5.1 with 1.50 volts.... and heat is similar to 1.6v on the 8350... barely acceptable... in winter I run it there... but in summer it heats the room up to much.

so what i am wondering is if this is typical of the 9590/8350 or if buying one would be a gamble that likely doesn't pay off.

if mine did 1.6/1.62 v stable at 5.0 i would run it 24/7, but it doesn't and the voltage drops start getting to the point at that level that LLC starts causing crashes for some reason and raising beyond that to compensate also causes crashes. (i can boot into and bench on 5.1/5.2 even, but it is not stable)

considering the numbers you just quoted for the 8350/9590 and what i have seen elsewhere i would say it is typical and that i "should" be able to get a 5.0 24/7 stable 9590 in my system.

i know it is not really worth it, but that doesn't mean i am not interested.
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67256 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

so what i am wondering is if this is typical of the 9590/8350 or if buying one would be a gamble that likely doesn't pay off.

if mine did 1.6/1.62 v stable at 5.0 i would run it 24/7, but it doesn't and the voltage drops start getting to the point at that level that LLC starts causing crashes for some reason and raising beyond that to compensate also causes crashes. (i can boot into and bench on 5.1/5.2 even, but it is not stable)

considering the numbers you just quoted for the 8350/9590 and what i have seen elsewhere i would say it is typical and that i "should" be able to get a 5.0 24/7 stable 9590 in my system.

i know it is not really worth it, but that doesn't mean i am not interested.

my saberkitty provides stable voltage, so that voltage flux might be causing a problem for you that a 9590 would only exacerbate... if it's having trouble keeping voltage stable with a 8350 then a 9590 would give it heck because of their leaky nature they take more power to run... I know mine pulls more power at 1.464 volts than my old 8350 did at same volts... not saying it won't work for you, just saying be aware... well.. I'm off to bed... got to get up at 3 am lol....
post #67257 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotaurtoo View Post

my saberkitty provides stable voltage, so that voltage flux might be causing a problem for you that a 9590 would only exacerbate... if it's having trouble keeping voltage stable with a 8350 then a 9590 would give it heck because of their leaky nature they take more power to run... I know mine pulls more power at 1.464 volts than my old 8350 did at same volts... not saying it won't work for you, just saying be aware... well.. I'm off to bed... got to get up at 3 am lol....

well that is kind of what i was thinking too. the gigabyte 990fx gaming mobo is great for mid-high oc'ing, but for extreme stuff it starts to fall behind. i have a pretty strong feeling this is the case and unless i get super lucky on the silicon lottery i would be wasting money. it is just kinda sad how close this thing is to being stable at that mark.

if i see another 9590/8350/8370 going that cheap i may pick it up to give it a shot and just sell whichever one ends up being worse.
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8350 GA-990FX-GAMING Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X G. Skill Trident  
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Sandisk sata ssd Windows 10 home Corsair Rm650x define r5 
Other
Fiber 1g/1g internet 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67258 of 67910
I have a 9590 on a ASRock 990fx Extreeme9.
The CPU is under custom water loop and it is now at an okay temp under a stress test it gets around 45c.

The main thing you need to look for is that the board has very good heatsinks/cooling for the VRM.
As that what gets very hot on my board.
I need to have something like the Antec spot cool over the VRM so keeps the temps anywhere around 66c to 72c under a stress test.
If I don't have the spot cool it sits around 72c idle without doing anything without opening any programs up.
If I opened any program like Photoshop it would shoot up to over 80c in seconds.
post #67259 of 67910
motoko smilling.jpg
Well today is the day?? MOTOKO'S birthday. She is officialy here as of this moment she is alive. I am typing this from Motoko. I have Photos but trying to upload on a new computer. once i figure out i will have photos. Oh guys she's so #9 she is beautiful she is smilliing
Edited by Gen Patton - 8/21/17 at 12:05am
post #67260 of 67910
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredismee View Post

recently changed it from horizontally blowing over them to blowing vertically down on them from 3" away and saw improvements, but not able to get 5.0 still.

Different boards may behave differently than mine but I have found that the most optimal is maybe 30 degrees, tilted so it's partially blowing down and also partially blowing through the sink. The closer the fan is to the sink the better (pretty much), as long as it can cool the whole thing. Boards like the Crosshair that have two different sinks may require two fans or a different airflow pattern than the Gigabyte board I have that has a small single VRM sink.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › [OFFICIAL] FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club