Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › [The Reg] N00bs vs Windows 8: We lock six people in a room with new OS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Reg] N00bs vs Windows 8: We lock six people in a room with new OS - Page 9

post #81 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari View Post

I dare to guess none of that affects well north of 99% of users, including the ones on this site - though especially people not active on any tech niche site such as this.
For close to all users, this all boils down to the UI Formerly Known As Metro (Prince anyone?), and there are simplistic ways of reverting this change. With that nuisance out of the way, you're left with all of the optimizations and other UI improvements.
People who whine about the people "whining" about the whiners (in no way referring to anyone specific) would be flatly ignorant in trying to assume most people who are whining about Windows 8 aren't just doing it for the sake of bandwagoning and having very low acceptance for change, in spite of the change being minimal here in almost all cases - honestly close to non-existent from a UI standpoint.
There are clearly legitimate reasons, as you mentioned, for not liking Windows 8. I concede this point and have never fought against that. I'm just saying that most people who say the word "tablet" over and over, or, worse still, give no reason at all in their refusal, aren't forming an opinion with any legitimate grounding in research or personal experience with the OS.

Remember, I had specifically said managing Windows 8 and also mentioned power users when you asked me about it. Though I'm pretty sure that a lot more than 1% will want UAC off, and won't want MS controlling what is or isn't installed on their system (part of the new UAC). And you'd be surprised how many programs actually create .bat file shortcuts on the start menu without the user even knowing.

And while yes there are many who are "bandwagoning" or just refusing to change for no reason, having to change for no reason is just as stupid. There is no reason for metro to exist. It is a completely separate entity from the regular Windows system, and serves absolutely no purpose. I truly believe that Metro started out as a completely different Tablet OS, and then MS basically sewed it onto Windows just so their tablets would sell better and more people would have access to their app store.

I don't think this strategy will be very successful.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #82 of 91
To the person above me.

If you're a Power User, you should know how to fully disable UAC (You need to go deeper than just disabling it in User Accounts CP).

Also if youre stating that having to change for no reason is stupid.. well change for everything else in the OS. There are many things Win 8 does better then 7.

So if you cancel out metro (No reason to change to it, but at the same time, its basicly the same exact thing as a start orb. You can even downlaod your own Start Orb) you have reason to change to Win 8 for other reasons.

WIn 9 will keep metro and improve upon it. And I really am looking forward to it, considering I had no problems adapting to 8 and I can see the potential of this is much better/higher than the old fashioned start orb.
Skylake - Budget
(14 items)
 
Acer C720
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-6500 - 3.2 Ghz Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Evga GTX 960 FTW+ 2 GB  CORSAIR Vengeance LPX - 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Windows 8.1 Dell S2414H Razer Blackwidow (2013) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga 100B-B1 600W  DIYPC Cuboid-R Black/Red Aluminum Razer Deathadder BE SteelSeries Qck+ 
AudioOther
Xonar DG Samson Go Mic 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Celeron - N2955U 1.7 Ghz HD 3000 Acer - Generic 4GB 16 GB SSD 
OSMouseAudioAudio
ChromeOS Logitech M705 FiiO E10 Ultrasone Pro 550 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz Dell - Generic EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW 4GB Kingston 667 Mhz DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Toshiba 5200 RPM 500 GB Windows 8.1 64 bit Dell 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Dell: 375 Watts Dimension 9200 DeathAdder BE 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK+ Xonar DG Hifiman HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake - Budget
(14 items)
 
Acer C720
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-6500 - 3.2 Ghz Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Evga GTX 960 FTW+ 2 GB  CORSAIR Vengeance LPX - 8 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Windows 8.1 Dell S2414H Razer Blackwidow (2013) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga 100B-B1 600W  DIYPC Cuboid-R Black/Red Aluminum Razer Deathadder BE SteelSeries Qck+ 
AudioOther
Xonar DG Samson Go Mic 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Celeron - N2955U 1.7 Ghz HD 3000 Acer - Generic 4GB 16 GB SSD 
OSMouseAudioAudio
ChromeOS Logitech M705 FiiO E10 Ultrasone Pro 550 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz Dell - Generic EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti FTW 4GB Kingston 667 Mhz DDR2 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Toshiba 5200 RPM 500 GB Windows 8.1 64 bit Dell 21.5" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Black Widow Dell: 375 Watts Dimension 9200 DeathAdder BE 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries QCK+ Xonar DG Hifiman HE-400 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

To the person above me.
If you're a Power User, you should know how to fully disable UAC (You need to go deeper than just disabling it in User Accounts CP).
Also if youre stating that having to change for no reason is stupid.. well change for everything else in the OS. There are many things Win 8 does better then 7.
So if you cancel out metro (No reason to change to it, but at the same time, its basicly the same exact thing as a start orb. You can even downlaod your own Start Orb) you have reason to change to Win 8 for other reasons.
WIn 9 will keep metro and improve upon it. And I really am looking forward to it, considering I had no problems adapting to 8 and I can see the potential of this is much better/higher than the old fashioned start orb.

And when you disable UAC completely you lose the ability to run Metro apps, making the whole thing nothing more than a full-screen toolbar to launch programs from.

Edit: I meant "change for no reason" as in why MS decided to replace the start button with Metro. That they only changed it for the sake of change.
Edited by Manyak - 10/28/12 at 10:15am
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboy500 View Post

To the person above me.
If you're a Power User, you should know how to fully disable UAC (You need to go deeper than just disabling it in User Accounts CP).
Also if youre stating that having to change for no reason is stupid.. well change for everything else in the OS. There are many things Win 8 does better then 7.
So if you cancel out metro (No reason to change to it, but at the same time, its basicly the same exact thing as a start orb. You can even downlaod your own Start Orb) you have reason to change to Win 8 for other reasons.
WIn 9 will keep metro and improve upon it. And I really am looking forward to it, considering I had no problems adapting to 8 and I can see the potential of this is much better/higher than the old fashioned start orb.

And when you disable UAC completely you lose the ability to run Metro apps, making the whole thing nothing more than a full-screen toolbar to launch programs from.
Which is really stupid.
post #85 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Do I need to make the bolded part bigger?

Howe about bolding this part?
Quote:
There were also lots of raised eyebrows about the stark division between TIFKAM and the conventional Windows desktop. None of the testers thought that a good idea.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #86 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Do I need to make the bolded part bigger?

Howe about bolding this part?
Quote:
There were also lots of raised eyebrows about the stark division between TIFKAM and the conventional Windows desktop. None of the testers thought that a good idea.

Sure, they didn't think it was a good idea, but they did find it fine to navigate. I'll bold it anyways.
post #87 of 91
Yeah sure we can all navigate it fine, it's just a PITA. I mean, I could navigate to Leeds via Manchester, but it's a stupid thing to do when I'm in Bradford.
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post

And when you disable UAC completely you lose the ability to run Metro apps, making the whole thing nothing more than a full-screen toolbar to launch programs from.
Edit: I meant "change for no reason" as in why MS decided to replace the start button with Metro. That they only changed it for the sake of change.

No you don't. Administrators can bypass the restriction completely by sideloading.

Group policy provides all the granularity needed to allow certain users the ability to download the apps they need from the store, or you can bypass the store completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

That is false, you can't make that an absolute truth.
As to your second sentence, it won't affect people except for the fact that many Windows 8 keyboard shortcuts are entirely new and don't apply to any other OS, not even previous versions of Windows, so having to learn them is not cost-effective.
Honestly, why would someone have to memorize all these commands in a time of GUIs ?

Yes I can. Navigating using command prompt will always be faster than any GUI.

Do you not know why GUI's exist? Command prompt is harder to learn, but faster... GUI are easier to learn, but slower.

Keyboard shortcuts is like a lay-persons command-driven navigator. Its not hard or 'too costly' to remember "Windows key" + "letter"

--

The entire premise of your argument is that the new Start screen is too slow. If there are faster methods to navigating Windows 8, then why does it matter that people have to learn new shortcuts? Not just any people mind you, but the tech savvy lot of users; the slowness that you accuse it of has been alleviated. Its like you're proven wrong, then you alter your argument.
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

No you don't. Administrators can bypass the restriction completely by sideloading.
Group policy provides all the granularity needed to allow certain users the ability to download the apps they need from the store, or you can bypass the store completely.

Yes you can disable certain things in UAC, but you can't disable it entirely.

And yes, you can sideload apps. But first you have to develop them, sign them, enable sideloading, do some stuff in the registry, and FINALLY install it via powershell. But that only proves my point further, which is that it's a PAIN IN THE ASS. And if you know of some secret method to signing the already installed applications like IE and what not, then I'm all ears.
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3470 ASRock Z77 Extreme6 16 GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 1TB WD Caviar Black 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
4TB WD Caviar Red Cooler Master Hyper 212+ VMWare ESXi NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410 
OtherOtherOther
LSI 9280-16i4e RAID Card Intel I350 Quad Port Gigabit NIC Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Gigabit NIC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manyak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

No you don't. Administrators can bypass the restriction completely by sideloading.
Group policy provides all the granularity needed to allow certain users the ability to download the apps they need from the store, or you can bypass the store completely.

Yes you can disable certain things in UAC, but you can't disable it entirely.

And yes, you can sideload apps. But first you have to develop them, sign them, enable sideloading, do some stuff in the registry, and FINALLY install it via powershell. But that only proves my point further, which is that it's a PAIN IN THE ASS. And if you know of some secret method to signing the already installed applications like IE and what not, then I'm all ears.
Actually all you need is installing VSE Win 8 and then get the dev license.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › [The Reg] N00bs vs Windows 8: We lock six people in a room with new OS