Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus SaberTooth Z77 "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" New Gaming Build (x2 Samsung SSD no HDDs)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Asus SaberTooth Z77 "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" New Gaming Build (x2 Samsung SSD no HDDs)

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
This is not my first build and i know a bit when it comes to computers so this one has me a little confused...

I am not using any hard drives just two Solid State drives from Samsung. I installed the OS on the larger SSD and booted the system just fine. Several boots later i started to receive this error "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device", for some reason if I restart the computer and go into the bios it will let me select the larger SSD to boot from as an override and it will work just fine and load the OS and my content but even tho I have all other boot options disabled (The CD Drive and the Smaller SSD) It gives me this error unless I go in and select the larger SSD to boot from manually... I have not updated the bios and am not sure if i should because Ive herd it could be bad for several reasons and i could potentially lose everything ive already loaded on the computer. I'm not sure how true this is because i haven't looked into it very much but i thought i would ask before i did anything else.. The Larger SSD with the OS on it is in port 0 and the Smaller one is in Port 1 so the placement of the drives should not be the issue... The Drives are in AHCI mode not RAID.

Also Why does the Green Standby Led stay on once Ive shut the computer down, It should only be on if the computer is on or in sleep mode.?.
mad.gif


Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance...
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrus View Post

This is not my first build and i know a bit when it comes to computers so this one has me a little confused...
I am not using any hard drives just two Solid State drives from Samsung. I installed the OS on the larger SSD and booted the system just fine. Several boots later i started to receive this error "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device", for some reason if I restart the computer and go into the bios it will let me select the larger SSD to boot from as an override and it will work just fine and load the OS and my content but even tho I have all other boot options disabled (The CD Drive and the Smaller SSD) It gives me this error unless I go in and select the larger SSD to boot from manually... I have not updated the bios and am not sure if i should because Ive herd it could be bad for several reasons and i could potentially lose everything ive already loaded on the computer. I'm not sure how true this is because i haven't looked into it very much but i thought i would ask before i did anything else.. The Larger SSD with the OS on it is in port 0 and the Smaller one is in Port 1 so the placement of the drives should not be the issue... The Drives are in AHCI mode not RAID.
Also Why does the Green Standby Led stay on once Ive shut the computer down, It should only be on if the computer is on or in sleep mode.?.
mad.gif
Any advice would be helpful. Thank you in advance...

Is this with the latest BIOS 1616?

post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Is this with the latest BIOS 1616?

No Sir It is on BIOS 1206, By the way I like your build I am running SLI 680s
post #4 of 9
I'd start by updating your BIOS, see if that helps.
As for the LED, I think on Sabertooth boards one of them always stays on when the power cord is plugged in even when the system is off. Just a little safety feature to notify you the system is still holding a charge when you're going to plug something into or out of the motherboard.
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnis View Post

I'd start by updating your BIOS, see if that helps.
As for the LED, I think on Sabertooth boards one of them always stays on when the power cord is plugged in even when the system is off. Just a little safety feature to notify you the system is still holding a charge when you're going to plug something into or out of the motherboard.

Ok So I just got done updating the BIOS To the newest version (1616) and then rebooted the PC. Now this makes no damn sense.... Ok so now if i set the bios up so that all boot devices are disabled except the Larger SSD which says it has the OS on it, It fails to boot and gives me the same error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" . BUT If i set the smaller SSD as the only bootable device in the BIOS it works perfect and i can restart the computer over and over and it will boot to the OS no problem... Here are some screen shots that show how weird this is.....


This says the Smaller SSD is empty


This shows the OS in the Larger SSD


And the smaller SSD with nothing in it..

Whats GOING ON! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif
Edited by Tyrus - 10/27/12 at 12:48pm
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Anyone...?... This make no sense.. And idk why the smaller SSD is showing 119 when it is a 128... did it put the OS on that drive but it says its on the larger one.?.
post #7 of 9

Hmm I can't think of anything.

 

Do you mind doing a clean install again perhaps? Format everything both drivers than JUST plug the Larger SSD and install Windows on it. When you are done, just finish installing Windows, go ahead plug the 2nd SSD.

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iARDAs View Post

Hmm I can't think of anything.

Do you mind doing a clean install again perhaps? Format everything both drivers than JUST plug the Larger SSD and install Windows on it. When you are done, just finish installing Windows, go ahead plug the 2nd SSD.

I would really prefer not starting all over but if i do whats the easiest way to wipe both SSDs and start over like you said, is my OS CD going to let me install again cant i only activate once?
post #9 of 9

Definitaly ask around first. Look into this thread

 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1246595/official-asus-sabertooth-z77-owners-thread-club/3050_50#post_18468379

 

ask your questions in that thread too since there are lots of sabertooth Z77 owners there.

 

Do what I told you as a last step. Maybe the problem is something simple.

 

When you wipe the SSDs again you will need to re enter your window skey and there might be a message saying that the CD key is already in use. You just simple call Microsoft and connect to their automated system and follow the instructions, than there won't be a problem activating your Windows.

 

I did this maybe 10 or more times with my Win 7

 

But first, ask around in the Sabertooth Z77 owner's thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Asus SaberTooth Z77 "Reboot and Select proper Boot Device" New Gaming Build (x2 Samsung SSD no HDDs)