Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Who's using Windows 8
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who's using Windows 8 - Page 8

post #71 of 83
I'm on windows 8. Loving it. The start screen barely makes a difference. It's a step forward for windows
Veron
(11 items)
 
Beast
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4100 M5A97 EVO AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Kingston  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Samsung  Stock Windows 8 Pro 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Seasonic 520W Cooler Master 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 440 3.0ghz ASUS M4N68T-M ATI Radeon HD5450 Kingston DDR3 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba 320GB + 160GB Samsung Windows 7 32 bit Samsung 21.5 inch 
PowerCase
Powerlogic Powerlogic Modena GTX2500 
  hide details  
Reply
Veron
(11 items)
 
Beast
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-4100 M5A97 EVO AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series Kingston  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Samsung  Stock Windows 8 Pro 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Samsung Seasonic 520W Cooler Master 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X3 440 3.0ghz ASUS M4N68T-M ATI Radeon HD5450 Kingston DDR3 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba 320GB + 160GB Samsung Windows 7 32 bit Samsung 21.5 inch 
PowerCase
Powerlogic Powerlogic Modena GTX2500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

again, most of those programs would work on WINE, just something you should look at. I'm not saying anyone needs to switch, but it's quite funny watching people complain about windows only to not consider the other possibilities. WINE can be slower in some cases, in others it can be faster.

You did not read my post in detail. I never said it couldn't be done, in fact I stated the reason behind NOT using a VM like "Wine" or other such programs. Again, this is NOT native and all programs MUST be native for me to use them. I know the companies I use for 3D software quite well and they do NOT recommend running their programs with anything but what is officially supported by them. It would be quite significant hit for performance to do so.

As I said, great for those that can, but for me not possible yet. I am not a fanboy of any OS, I just use what is best for the software I need to run natively. That's all I care about, be it Windows, Mac or Linux.
post #73 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

again, most of those programs would work on WINE, just something you should look at. I'm not saying anyone needs to switch, but it's quite funny watching people complain about windows only to not consider the other possibilities. WINE can be slower in some cases, in others it can be faster.

You did not read my post in detail. I never said it couldn't be done, in fact I stated the reason behind NOT using a VM like "Wine" or other such programs. Again, this is NOT native and all programs MUST be native for me to use them. I know the companies I use for 3D software quite well and they do NOT recommend running their programs with anything but what is officially supported by them. It would be quite significant hit for performance to do so.

As I said, great for those that can, but for me not possible yet. I am not a fanboy of any OS, I just use what is best for the software I need to run natively. That's all I care about, be it Windows, Mac or Linux.

I read your post in full detail. and this one. and you my friend, have ZERO knowledge because wine isn't anything close to a VM. it is a set of API (meant to replace the windows APIs, evidently) that run directly on top of the Linux kernel. no Microcrap software is ever used, or ever will be, hence it being open source. so, either you just have a massive mouth or are too lazy to look up a Wikipedia page to find out what wine is.

As, if you really want to get into it, many methods of VMing can provide near complete pass though. and, of course, would be more reliable and easier too back up anyway for this 'Professional 3D Workstation' or whatever you say you have.

i'm not saying you should change what already works, there is no reason too- I'm also saying all of your reasons for not doing it aren't valid either.

also, maya has full native support for linux. Just saying.
Edited by jrl1357 - 12/29/12 at 11:42am
post #74 of 83
Oh goodie, another Windows 8 thread. thumb.gif
post #75 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Oh goodie, another Windows 8 thread. thumb.gif

cheers.gif theres so much juicy stuff to rant about!! devil.gif
post #76 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

I read your post in full detail. and this one. and you my friend, have ZERO knowledge because wine isn't anything close to a VM. it is a set of API (meant to replace the windows APIs, evidently) that run directly on top of the Linux kernel. no Microcrap software is ever used, or ever will be, hence it being open source. so, either you just have a massive mouth or are too lazy to look up a Wikipedia page to find out what wine is.
As, if you really want to get into it, many methods of VMing can provide near complete pass though. and, of course, would be more reliable and easier too back up anyway for this 'Professional 3D Workstation' or whatever you say you have.
i'm not saying you should change what already works, there is no reason too- I'm also saying all of your reasons for not doing it aren't valid either.
also, maya has full native support for linux. Just saying.

Well, I hardly post on topics like this because of those like yourself thinking you know it all and have no real knowledge to share beside self deprecating fulfillment. I fully know that Wine is but just chose to be rather brief since you have little to offer besides being a fanboy for Linux or whatever topic you chose to debate. It is an API, but the fact is it is NOT native support and you can NOT get programs to run properly with it for most of what I use. Of course Maya is native, which I know, and I work closely with most of those companies in person at their artist events which they hold. But that's still my point, not all programs do work, or work well to be useful, as stated prior.

I am not debating anything with anyone as I simply don't care what anyone uses. Everyone should enjoy and use what works for them, period. That's all I have to say and won't be commenting again because it's pointless and a waste of time.
post #77 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTekJeff View Post

Well, I hardly post on topics like this because of those like yourself thinking you know it all and have no real knowledge to share beside self deprecating fulfillment. I fully know that Wine is but just chose to be rather brief since you have little to offer besides being a fanboy for Linux or whatever topic you chose to debate. It is an API, but the fact is it is NOT native support and you can NOT get programs to run properly with it for most of what I use. Of course Maya is native, which I know, and I work closely with most of those companies in person at their artist events which they hold. But that's still my point, not all programs do work, or work well to be useful, as stated prior.
I am not debating anything with anyone as I simply don't care what anyone uses. Everyone should enjoy and use what works for them, period. That's all I have to say and won't be commenting again because it's pointless and a waste of time.
Look at my signature... Now, after I say this don't call me a fanboy of any type, as I deal Mac, Linux, and Windows on a daily basis. He said, "I am not debating anything with anyone as I simply don't care what anyone uses. Everyone should enjoy and use what works for them, period." He isn't fanboying all over you. He is just stating that you can run most programs in WINE. He was just correcting you that it isn't a VM, and he was right. With a VM, you have to allocate an amount of memory and parts of your processor. With WINE, however, it runs allows Linux to run windows executables as if they are native to Linux.
I can agree that some programs will not run, and I will ask. How long has it been since you tried running the programs you do use?
post #78 of 83
I bought Vista, Win 7 & Win 8 on their release date. Windows 8 has been great, its the best OS I have ever owned. I have no issues with Metro but just like windows 7 I pin my programs on the taskbar. I hardly ever used the start button on 7.
Mid Range Red Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.7ghz Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
Mid Range Red Box
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k @ 4.7ghz Z97 MSI MSI GTX 1080ti Gaming X - ~2063/11850 16gb DDR3@2400mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
SSD's 240mm/360mm Rad - XSPC Raytorm/Universal block(... Windows 3840x2160 
PowerCase
Evga 1000w  Arc Midi R2 Super Console 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 83
Im using windows 7 on my desktop and 8 on my 2006 lenovo x60. And 8 is making fly. (Also slapped an ssd in there ) just bought another 8 pro upgrade before the deadline is up. So 3 windows 8 at my expense and a windows 7 pro waiting for mynew build.
post #80 of 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger View Post

I've been running it since the developer preview. Its much faster and lighter then Windows 7. People are probably going to be bridge dwellers for me saying so, but Windows 7 has all of Vista's bulk. Windows 8 finally removed it, the operating system doesn't feel so heavy anymore. To give you an understanding of what I mean by "heavy", moving from Vista/7 to 8 is like moving back to a Windows XP. Really responsive and snappy, because quite a bit of the interface is accelerated (fonts, images, shapes are all hardware accelerated in Windows 8). If you can wrap your head around the Metro interface, then chances are you will enjoy it. You can find more information and tweaks in the fan club linked in my signature.

What in the world are you running that would make Windows 7 or 8 NOT feel responsive and snappy? I've run Win 7 on an E4300 at stock (1.8 GHz C2D) with two gigs of RAM and it's responsive and snappy. Even Vista is perfectly fine these days, as long as you have all of the updates and service packs installed and at least a dual-core CPU. I have a friend running it on a A64 4400+, and it ran great once I updated everything.

The only things that were changed in Windows 8 were the removal of the Start menu, the bolting-on of Muttro, and the removal of the visual effects of the Aero UI. The Start menu had no effect on performance, Muttro doesn't make anything faster, and you can turn off the eye candy in Aero. Not that it makes one whit of difference if you're running on proper hardware. And they optimized the boot time in Win 8, so now your OS boots off your SSD in 13 seconds instead of an insufferably slow 17.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon X4 870K 4700mhz 1.63v ASUS A88X-PRO Radeon HD 6970 G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston V300 Toshiba 2.5" laptop HDD, 1TB Micron C300 SSD Generic 2TB HDD WL2000GSA1672 (external) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT 500GB ASUS DVD-RW Prolimatech Black Series Megahalems Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon "Sarah" 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 ViewSonic VG2030wm IBM Model M Fractal Design Newton R3 600W 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Logitech Marble Mouse Behringer UCA222 Upgraded Realistic Minimus-7 speakers, Lepai 20... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile T9900 Dell 0G848F Intel Mobile 4 series 4GB Crucial DDR2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OWC Mercury Electra 3G 44GB SSD stock DVD-RW Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 "Rebecca" 1366x768 WXGA 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Who's using Windows 8