Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TR] Samsung posts record profits as Galaxy sales crush Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TR] Samsung posts record profits as Galaxy sales crush Apple - Page 12

post #111 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playapplepie View Post

Why can't people be more like you?

Because we don't fraternize with the enemy.

#GALAXY

rolleyes.gif
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #112 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post

if apple gave a crap about their workers at all, they would not hire foxconn to do the dirty work
thats a fact right there... doubling the manufacturing price when the bom is 200 and sale price is 800 doesnt turn their profit into a loss, and chances are if they had their own factory the prices wont even go up that much.
1. Many of the major companies use Foxconn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn#Major_customers

2. Foxconn is a huge company. They assemble 40% of all consumer electronics in the world, if another company large enough even existed it would take them years to switch over and incur production problems in the process, and it may end up having the same working conditions as Foxconn, if not worse.

All they can do is improve the situation over there, which they're doing.

I do agree that Apple could pay twice as much for the manufacturing without really hurting profit substantially, and while that would be nice, they're a company not a charity. I don't blame them for getting the cheapest prices they can, just as every other company does. It's not as if the additional money would head straight to the workers at Foxconn either.
Edited by steelbom - 10/29/12 at 4:59pm
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #113 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post


They decreased the volume of the iMac by about 40% and the edges are 5mm thin. That's a pretty substantial difference.

You missed my point. Why is it better because it is thinner? Is the goal to get it so thin it cuts you?

2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic (@ Stock) [Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-9-9-24] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[Corsair] 120gb Force GT Some Lite-On thing [Coolermaster] V8 Winders 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Gateway] FDH2402 [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
[CM Storm] Sentinel Advance II [AUDIOTRAK] Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE [Polk Audio] PSW 505 and Monitor 40's Denon AVR-791 
Audio
Infinity P153's 
  hide details  
Reply
2nd Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] 2500k [4.5ghz] [1.3 volts] [AsRock] P67 Extreme 6 [Sapphire] 6950 Toxic (@ Stock) [Samsung] Low voltage memory [@1866 mHz 9-9-9-24] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
[Corsair] 120gb Force GT Some Lite-On thing [Coolermaster] V8 Winders 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
[Gateway] FDH2402 [CM Storm] QuickFire TK [XFX] Core Edition PRO850W [In Win] Dragon Rider 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
[CM Storm] Sentinel Advance II [AUDIOTRAK] Prodigy HD2 ADVANCE DE [Polk Audio] PSW 505 and Monitor 40's Denon AVR-791 
Audio
Infinity P153's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #114 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvidiaftw12 View Post

You missed my point. Why is it better because it is thinner? Is the goal to get it so thin it cuts you?
Lol. It looks nicer. Thinness is about feel and aesthetics, and since we're talking about a desktop that you don't hold, just aesthetics then. Also weight, too, it's quite a bit lighter which is nice for when you need to set it up or change the RAM (in the 27 inch models).
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #115 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstrous View Post

Does someone pay you to talk the amount of crap you do? I have a hard time believing that it's naturally occurring.
does apple pay you guys to advertise for them here?
this is america, we don't like getting locked into a phone, forced to buy into a monopolized market(which apple is trying to achieve, by patenting the most simple and basic things that were once known as common invention(such as rectangles)) and we most definitely hate to support slave labour.
 
M9400
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX 670 2x Patriot 4GB @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Caviar Black 1.5TB Mushkin Chronos Sata3 60gb for caching LG DVD-RW 24x HYPER 212 EVO 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
3x Antec tricool 120mm Windows 7 BENQ XL2420TX Sidewinder x4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850v2 zalman z11 zalman m300 generic ebay mousepad 
Audio
logitech G930 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 ECS AM2 mobo gigabyte HD 5850 4x Hynix 2gb 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 750gb 7200rpm sony 16x dvd rw windows 7 22inch acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic HP kb tuniq 650w psu M9400 generic hp mice 
  hide details  
Reply
 
M9400
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Gigabyte GTX 670 2x Patriot 4GB @ 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Caviar Black 1.5TB Mushkin Chronos Sata3 60gb for caching LG DVD-RW 24x HYPER 212 EVO 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
3x Antec tricool 120mm Windows 7 BENQ XL2420TX Sidewinder x4 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX850v2 zalman z11 zalman m300 generic ebay mousepad 
Audio
logitech G930 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 9750 ECS AM2 mobo gigabyte HD 5850 4x Hynix 2gb 800mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 750gb 7200rpm sony 16x dvd rw windows 7 22inch acer LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
generic HP kb tuniq 650w psu M9400 generic hp mice 
  hide details  
Reply
post #116 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznDud333 View Post

does apple pay you guys to advertise for them here?
this is america, we don't like getting locked into a phone, forced to buy into a monopolized market(which apple is trying to achieve, by patenting the most simple and basic things that were once known as common invention(such as rectangles)) and we most definitely hate to support slave labour.
You keep going on about slave labour yet fail to acknowledge that everyone else uses Foxconn too. Besides that, it isn't actually slave labour. You may accidentally be mistaking Apple for Samsung wink.gif
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #117 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

You may not have heard of it but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I did a quick Google search and found this: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/x100e-excess-heat-culprit-found/td-p/730823
This T520?
It doesn't degrade performance but it does result in a hotter chassis -- I suppose that one is in favour of aesthetics or a more comfortable size. And no I'm still not contradicting myself.
No I am not. What I said below in my quote is that when someone brings up build quality that the thing that comes to my mind is the design of the chassis and such, I never stated that's what it means. No that isn't my line of thinking: that would qualify as poor build quality. No it's not a design flaw or an indication of poor build quality. The temperature is well within thermal spec so it'll be fine.
I'm not comparing it to anything. The laptop isn't flimsy. That isn't going to change no matter what you compare it to. I expect the Thinkpad would be more rugged, that's how they're designed. But I imagine it would also be thicker and heavier too.
Aesthetics (thinness, lightness, feel of the materials, etc.) is a part of build quality. If you're talking about ruggedness or durability exclusively then aesthetics have little to do with it.
Longer than the cheap pre-built from HP or Dell yeah, because it uses terrible parts and generally has a really shocking chassis. But an iMac has a good chassis, is well designed, and Macs in general last a very long time.
The iMac is manufactured at Foxconn, that doesn't mean it uses parts made by Foxconn. I am being consistent and the former would be better. Apple has a team of engineers that deals with those questions and builds the system appropriately. You don't have the choice you do with a custom computer but that doesn't mean the build quality is less.
I've never complained about the Thinkpad. They are very durable and rugged, but I don't consider those two things and build quality to be one in the same.

Okay well lets stop talking about build quality then and talk about what I meant in the first place; overall quality. There would be no use in arguing if our definitions are different. There is one crucial concept you must first understand before my position on the matter is clear to you. The first concept is that hotter parts in a laptop or any electronic device actually do degrade the device and cause performance loss after time. Whether the temperature is within the range of acceptable temperatures given by the manufacture doesn't make a difference, that range is only there to give you an idea of the threshold, the maximum temperature a CPU can take before suffering serious degradation often resulting in the CPU ceasing to function normally. To expand on this, if I have one i5 running at say 30C, it will deteriorate faster than one running at 25C. This gradual deterioration of the CPU and other components within the device will contribute to performance loss, over time. This a fact of any electronic device. And as you said, when you make a laptop thinner, it WILL get hotter than a similar thicker laptop and so will indeed degrade faster. This is not just me talking out of my ass, this is a fact of life for ANY electronic device no matter how small. Similarly, hotter devices require more power to function and thus bring rise to battery problems, as I mentioned in my previous post.

One thing I realized as well was that the iMac was not what I was thinking about when I compared it to custom built computers, I was thinking of a Mac Pro, it wouldn't really be fair to compare two different classes of computer. Another thing is that although you say that the Mac Pro doesn't use parts from Foxconn, that is not true. The Mac Pro is likely manufactured in whole by some other company, but the computer components (such as motherboard, GPU, etc) are supplied by Foxconn. If you have a Mac Pro or iMac, open it up and take a look for yourself. Moreover, although Apple may have a team of engineers that designs the Mac Pro, do you think they really care to consider all the questions any serious computer enthusiasts considers? There is no benefit for a corporation like Apple to invest millions if not billions of dollars into designing the Mac Pro with the quality of an enthusiast in mind, take a look inside one and you will see its the same tired design that pre-built computers have had for decades. In addition, as a corporation, Apple's main concern in designing a computer like the Mac Pro is cost cutting. Do you think they will consider putting in 3 fans to keep the computer cool when they can use just one and still be within that ambiguous thermal spec you mentioned? Lastly, even if Apple did take all these measures to ensure that there computers were on par with custom built computers, the cost of the Mac would explode and not be affordable for many people (it is already grossly overpriced in terms of the hardware and quality of said hardware), this deterrent of lost sales is what keeps them from designing a computer with quality of an enthusiast in mind. Reasons like these are why a Mac Pro, or even any prebuilt can never live up the likes of custom built computers.

Just take a look at some pictures
Mac Pro - http://www.freshdv.com/uploaded_images/new_mac_pro_case_interior-789356.jpg
Custom Built - http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/mountain_mods_case_mod_watercooled_gaming_pc_purple_rain5.jpg

The custom built is clearly light years ahead of the Mac Pro in terms of quality, you can see this just by comparing the two computers. I mean, just look at the Mac Pro, sure it may look more organized and higher quality but do you really think all that aluminum covering all the components allows the computer to "breathe" easier than the custom built? Protip: It doesn't. And like I said before, if the computer is less efficient at expelling hot air, the components WILL degrade faster. This is where many people, yourself included, fail to see the distinction between the perception of quality and actual quality. This is also where I know you are duped by Apple because it "looks" more complete or more organized to you so you assume it really is higher quality, but any computer enthusiast or computer engineer will tell you right away that the Apple computer is much lower quality than the custom built. On the other hand, I can't blame you for you're mode of thought. Apple has very clever advertising and ridiculously high prices that make their devices seem higher quality and its very easy to be tricked into believing something that is simply not true. Apple is all about the perception of quality, that's the backbone of their business, its how they get sales from college arts students who want to fit in with their friends but hardly any sales from any engineer or scientist working in a professional field, such as scientific research, where quality is needed (for example the International Space Station has exclusively Thinkpads on board). This also ties in with aluminum unibody structure and glass covered screen of the MBPs. A lot of people point out that an aluminum unibody case has many benefits but ask them to name one and they won't give you answer. Similarly, the glass covered screen makes it terrible to look at the laptop in any light and makes it so much more prone to cracking, but it looks nicer than my Thinkpads anit-glare screen so of course it must be high quality. This is not true, drop my Thinkpad and it will be fine, drop the MBP and the screen will crack, guaranteed. Another point for you to consider; have you ever tried purchasing a Mac Pro on the Apple website? They charge obscene prices for minor upgrades (ie a while back it cost IIRC something like $500 dollars to upgrade the GPU to a 5850 and another $400 for 12GB of RAM and let me tell you, this was obscenely over priced as buying the components themselves would have costed a fraction of the price). They can get away with this because, like I said before, there is an overwhelming perception that Apple makes quality products, the result of billions and billions of dollars spent on advertising. My only advice to you is please do some homework the next time you buy a computer/laptop and make a rational decision based on objective facts of the overall quality of both machines, and I'm not talking about aesthetics here. In the case you decide to buy one device over the other for an aesthetic reason, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, please accept and acknowledge that you have bought a lower quality machine (unless of course the aesthetics don't take away from the overall quality of the machine, but in the case of Mac Pro, iMac or Macbooks, it does) and don't irrationally make a list of reasons why your machine is objectively better and argue about it on a forum full of people who know much more about the world of computers than you do. Sorry if I come off as rude but it seems to be the only way to give people a real wake up call, if you have any further arguments or have been convinced and have questions that need answering, please PM me!

Edit: Have to mention that I pulled that picture of the custom computer off Google. If you take a look around this forum you will see hundred of computers that make even the custom built PC that I linked above look a complete piece of ****.
Edit 2: Also let me mention that I think Apple does make some good devices (such as the iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad), but in the case of the iPad and iPhone, the phones are overpriced in terms of the hardware you get. Also, considering Android and iOS are pretty much the same (I've used both) I'd rather not buy an iPhone 5 if there are similar products with similar hardware available on the market for a smaller price. I know the argument here will be that the iPhone is "designed" better but apart from the exterior look of different phones, their insides are all designed in a very similar way. Combine that with the fact that I can't even replace the battery on iPhone (I have multiple batteries for my S2, not that I need them but just in the case of an emergency), the iPhone is definitely not something I would buy unless of course it was priced accordingly.
Edit 3: In the post I quoted above, you stated "The iMac is manufactured at Foxconn, that doesn't mean it uses parts made by Foxconn." Then in one of your later posts, when arguing with someone else, you posted a link that shows Apple as a major customer of Foxconn. Let me also inform you that Foxconn only manufactures electronic components, nothing else. So next time, please do some research before making an argument, especially since that argument was formulated in denial of the fact that Apple uses the same low-quality components as any other given computer manufacturer (except of course Lenovo, which wasn't included in the list of major customers in your link). If you are going to use fiction to argue with me, please don't even reply to this post.
Edited by karlok - 10/30/12 at 8:35pm
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.94Ghz - 1.45V MSI 870A-G54 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Corsair XMS3 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Sony Optiarc Windows 7 Ultimate x64 24" Samsung T240HD 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955BE @ 3.94Ghz - 1.45V MSI 870A-G54 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Corsair XMS3 2x2GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD Caviar Black Sony Optiarc Windows 7 Ultimate x64 24" Samsung T240HD 
PowerCase
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #118 of 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlok View Post

Okay well lets stop talking about build quality then and talk about what I meant in the first place; overall quality. There would be no use in arguing if our definitions are different.
Yep.
Quote:
There is one crucial concept you must first understand before my position on the matter is clear to you. The first concept is that hotter parts in a laptop or any electronic device actually do degrade the device and cause performance loss after time. Whether the temperature is within the range of acceptable temperatures given by the manufacture doesn't make a difference, that range is only there to give you an idea of the threshold, the maximum temperature a CPU can take before suffering serious degradation often resulting in the CPU ceasing to function normally. To expand on this, if I have one i5 running at say 30C, it will deteriorate faster than one running at 25C. This gradual deterioration of the CPU and other components within the device will contribute to performance loss, over time. This a fact of any electronic device. And as you said, when you make a laptop thinner, it WILL get hotter than a similar thicker laptop and so will indeed degrade faster. This is not just me talking out of my ass, this is a fact of life for ANY electronic device no matter how small. Similarly, hotter devices require more power to function and thus bring rise to battery problems, as I mentioned in my previous post.
Fair enough. I disagree about performance of the laptop suffering though, unless you're talking about throttling.
Quote:
One thing I realized as well was that the iMac was not what I was thinking about when I compared it to custom built computers, I was thinking of a Mac Pro, it wouldn't really be fair to compare two different classes of computer.
Ah that makes more sense then.
Quote:
Another thing is that although you say that the Mac Pro doesn't use parts from Foxconn, that is not true. The Mac Pro is likely manufactured in whole by some other company, but the computer components (such as motherboard, GPU, etc) are supplied by Foxconn. If you have a Mac Pro or iMac, open it up and take a look for yourself.
What proof do you have that the components in any Mac are made by Foxconn? I don't think you have any. I don't think anyone does.
Quote:
Moreover, although Apple may have a team of engineers that designs the Mac Pro, do you think they really care to consider all the questions any serious computer enthusiasts considers? There is no benefit for a corporation like Apple to invest millions if not billions of dollars into designing the Mac Pro with the quality of an enthusiast in mind, take a look inside one and you will see its the same tired design that pre-built computers have had for decades.
I do think they design it with professionals in mind. I've had a look inside one before and it looks different to your average pre-built computer.
Quote:
In addition, as a corporation, Apple's main concern in designing a computer like the Mac Pro is cost cutting. Do you think they will consider putting in 3 fans to keep the computer cool when they can use just one and still be within that ambiguous thermal spec you mentioned?
They don't need to worry about cutting costs. They have very healthy margins.
Quote:
Lastly, even if Apple did take all these measures to ensure that there computers were on par with custom built computers, the cost of the Mac would explode and not be affordable for many people (it is already grossly overpriced in terms of the hardware and quality of said hardware), this deterrent of lost sales is what keeps them from designing a computer with quality of an enthusiast in mind. Reasons like these are why a Mac Pro, or even any prebuilt can never live up the likes of custom built computers.
The Mac Pro isn't very competitive in regard to price because it's been neglected, and I think it will be discontinued in the course of the next few years. Even the '2012' update wasn't even an update, just a very minor spec refresh.
Quote:
Just take a look at some pictures
Mac Pro - http://www.freshdv.com/uploaded_images/new_mac_pro_case_interior-789356.jpg
Custom Built - http://www.mnpctech.3dpixelnet.com/picture_library/mountain_mods_case_mod_watercooled_gaming_pc_purple_rain5.jpg

The custom built is clearly light years ahead of the Mac Pro in terms of quality, you can see this just by comparing the two computers. I mean, just look at the Mac Pro, sure it may look more organized and higher quality but do you really think all that aluminum covering all the components allows the computer to "breathe" easier than the custom built? Protip: It doesn't. And like I said before, if the computer is less efficient at expelling hot air, the components WILL degrade faster. This is where many people, yourself included, fail to see the distinction between the perception of quality and actual quality.
I don't fail to see that distinction. And no of course I don't think it's better for cooling. But I just fail to see the problem with heat when the actual Mac itself will last for five to ten years? I'm sure there will be some models that fail, but overall they're very reliable.
Quote:
This is also where I know you are duped by Apple because it "looks" more complete or more organized to you so you assume it really is higher quality, but any computer enthusiast or computer engineer will tell you right away that the Apple computer is much lower quality than the custom built. On the other hand, I can't blame you for you're mode of thought. Apple has very clever advertising and ridiculously high prices that make their devices seem higher quality and its very easy to be tricked into believing something that is simply not true. Apple is all about the perception of quality, that's the backbone of their business, its how they get sales from college arts students who want to fit in with their friends but hardly any sales from any engineer or scientist working in a professional field, such as scientific research, where quality is needed (for example the International Space Station has exclusively Thinkpads on board). This also ties in with aluminum unibody structure and glass covered screen of the MBPs. A lot of people point out that an aluminum unibody case has many benefits but ask them to name one and they won't give you answer. Similarly, the glass covered screen makes it terrible to look at the laptop in any light and makes it so much more prone to cracking, but it looks nicer than my Thinkpads anit-glare screen so of course it must be high quality. This is not true, drop my Thinkpad and it will be fine, drop the MBP and the screen will crack, guaranteed.
You're making a lot of assumptions about me, all of which are wrong. I'm not duped by anything, especially not Apple's marketing. And with the rMBP they've reduced reflection on the display by 75% so light is much less of a problem than before. I actually like the glass. Apple doesn't cater to the professional crowd primarily, but the consumer. That's why all their devices are incredibly easy to use, and work very well.

The Mac Pro may get hotter than a custom build, but it's of no less quality (not talking about in terms of layout). I'd expect one to last for at least five years, if not ten.
Quote:
Another point for you to consider; have you ever tried purchasing a Mac Pro on the Apple website? They charge obscene prices for minor upgrades (ie a while back it cost IIRC something like $500 dollars to upgrade the GPU to a 5850 and another $400 for 12GB of RAM and let me tell you, this was obscenely over priced as buying the components themselves would have costed a fraction of the price). They can get away with this because, like I said before, there is an overwhelming perception that Apple makes quality products, the result of billions and billions of dollars spent on advertising.
I'm well aware of that. It was about $200 for the GPU, but the RAM sounds about right. It's only recently that Apple has started charging more reasonable prices, though they're still much more expensive than buying them yourself. The reason they get away with it is because your average consumer is uninformed -- they don't know they're getting overcharged for the upgrades, and they don't know they can do some of the upgrades themselves.
Quote:
My only advice to you is please do some homework the next time you buy a computer/laptop and make a rational decision based on objective facts of the overall quality of both machines, and I'm not talking about aesthetics here.
I always do my homework, and I buy what suits me best. I buy Macs for OS X, and I buy the iMac because it's the best value Mac and I like the all-in-one form factor.
Quote:
In the case you decide to buy one device over the other for an aesthetic reason, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, please accept and acknowledge that you have bought a lower quality machine (unless of course the aesthetics don't take away from the overall quality of the machine, but in the case of Mac Pro, iMac or Macbooks, it does) and don't irrationally make a list of reasons why your machine is objectively better and argue about it on a forum full of people who know much more about the world of computers than you do. Sorry if I come off as rude but it seems to be the only way to give people a real wake up call, if you have any further arguments or have been convinced and have questions that need answering, please PM me!
I still disagree that the aesthetics of Macs take away from the quality. I will agree that it makes them hotter, but they run for a long time so I don't see the problem.

No offense intended but your post sounds arrogant. I have nothing to wake up from. This is a technology forum full of members with varying degrees of knowledge about computers, I've never claimed to be an expert but I do know a fair amount. You seem to think I'm swayed by Apple's advertising and know little about computing, but that's not true. I use Macs because the software is brilliant and I can't stand Windows for anything but gaming where it is superior. The design is also nice and convenient.

Nevertheless thank you for the offer, but I will be fine.
Quote:
Edit: Have to mention that I pulled that picture of the custom computer off Google. If you take a look around this forum you will see hundred of computers that make even the custom built PC that I linked above look a complete piece of ****.
I've had a look around plenty of times. I'm aware of what's been done. There's some impressive stuff here. Personally I'd choose the Silverstone FT02 (or is it 03?) if I was building my own rig.
Quote:
Edit 2: Also let me mention that I think Apple does make some good devices (such as the iPhone and iPod Touch and iPad), but in the case of the iPad and iPhone, the phones are overpriced in terms of the hardware you get. Also, considering Android and iOS are pretty much the same (I've used both) I'd rather not buy an iPhone 5 if there are similar products with similar hardware available on the market for a smaller price. I know the argument here will be that the iPhone is "designed" better but apart from the exterior look of different phones, their insides are all designed in a very similar way. Combine that with the fact that I can't even replace the battery on iPhone (I have multiple batteries for my S2, not that I need them but just in the case of an emergency), the iPhone is definitely not something I would buy unless of course it was priced accordingly.
The iPhone 5 is more expensive than your equivalently spec'd Android, but you're paying for Apple's software and support too. I consider iOS to be much better, but that's subjective. The app ecosystem on the other hand is a much more pleasant experience on iOS. The iPad is not overpriced at all.

I'll also add that iOS and Android do the same basic job, but they aren't the same. The former emphasises easy of use and simplicity. Google emphasises customisation and flexibility.
Quote:
Edit 3: In the post I quoted above, you stated "The iMac is manufactured at Foxconn, that doesn't mean it uses parts made by Foxconn." Then in one of your later posts, when arguing with someone else, you posted a link that shows Apple as a major customer of Foxconn. Let me also inform you that Foxconn only manufactures electronic components, nothing else. So next time, please do some research before making an argument, especially since that argument was formulated in denial of the fact that Apple uses the same low-quality components as any other given computer manufacturer (except of course Lenovo, which wasn't included in the list of major customers in your link). If you are going to use fiction to argue with me, please don't even reply to this post.
I've done plenty of research, and I'm not using fiction to argue with you. I should have said assembled, not manufactured. There's no evidence to support Apple using Foxconn hardware in any Mac or iDevice and there's none to support them not using it either. I don't think anyone knows.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #119 of 119
Heat really isn't an issue, not unless you buy crappy stuff or you are trying to make your items last for as long as physically possible. Which is funny, considering most of the people on this website upgrade whenever a new graphics card benches higher on New Generic Overrated x25 AA Game 3.

Apple gets two things right: Quiet computing and style. Apple are corporate retardates for trying to choke the life out of the industry and I won't buy any of their stuff (just as I won't buy that new Lenovo all in one unit) because I feel I can get far better value for money doing it myself, but I do admire those two traits. The Power Mac is way easier on the eyes than the Mountain Mods monstrity. It looks like a damn Fallout 1-style computer, with vacuum tubing and vents and all sorts of crap all over the place.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [TR] Samsung posts record profits as Galaxy sales crush Apple