Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot - Page 13

post #121 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post


the whole idea of a "productivity tablet" is dumb though. i wouldn't buy any tablet because i honestly don't care, but at least the ipad is designed to have unique useful niche (ie being used up close, high resolution that's good for reading).
who wants to do serious productivity on a 10" screen? this is why netbooks failed, small screens suck unless are used close up. 10" screen+keyboard=fail. apple and google realized this.
it's not logical-they are entirely different platforms. touch makes sense for phones/tablets because you want the screen as close as possible, because it is a small screen. and it it's not like you have to try it to tell how obviously unergonomic it is-you're extending your arm constantly. not to mention it offers no benefit over keyboard+ trackpad (you can do gestures on trackpad anyway).

 

 

Why do you whine..?

 

Thats the lure of all of this. You CAN be productive on the MS Surface... if you want. You are simply unable to, or have too many hurdles with other devices.

 

 

 

It seems like your upset, because You don't like the market Microsoft targeted. Everyone knows Android is for mingers and there is no need for Microsoft to go after that market, so they created one of their own. Uno..(?), a productivity tablet, that is actually used for something other than games & entertainment...  but can also do games & entertainment..?

 

You obviouly do not blog, type or have a need for either laptop, or tablet..   nor did I until MS Surface.

 

 

 

 

Also..  Your post^ is in conflict with itself. As you have suggested the MS surface is too small, yet say "..touch makes sense for phones/tablets because you want the screen as close as possible.."  

 

So esentially... ur just complaining, because you can't have one. Right?

post #122 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin SSJ Eric View Post

I have found that Win8 doesn't appear to like multiple instances of gpu-z running with Warfighter. Got constant crashes last night, still not sure what's wrong. Will probably try running AB for monitoring and see if that's better.
Also have bad to lower my OC with Win8 due to instability....

intresting, im still holding 5GHZ stable on the same volts in win 8 pro, and AB will do onscreen fps/gpu usage/temps for you nicely, i use it constantly.

i have not run into an issue with windows 8 yet, i installed it last night.
Orange Angel
(22 items)
 
 
BOINC me! (TM)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe  Visiontek RX 480 [EK FC nickel/Acetal] 16GB Mushkin Blackline 2133mhz @11-11-11-31-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Crucial M300 1TB Seagate Firecuda 2TB EK Supreme LTX CSQ [Canadian Special Edition] 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP 35X 10W W/ EK CSQ X-TOP EK Coolstream PE 240 Bitspower Multi Tank 80 Bitspower Matte Black Rotary Fittings/ Feser Ma... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Samsung 32 Inch 4K TV Acer S231H NKPC V60 65% custom  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Fractal Design Define Nano S Razer Deathadder 2013 Stelseries QCK+ 
Audio
Astro A40 TR+ Mixamp Pro 
CPUCPUCoolingPower
Antminer S3 Antminer S3 4x Cougar Vortex V12-HP PWM Fans EVGA 500B 500W PSU, Corsair GS700 700W PSU 
Case
2x Factory S3 Steel Cowl Case 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 EVGA P55 Classified 200 XFX Radeon 6850 Refrerence XFX Radeon 5770 XXX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 WD Caviar RE 250GB Coolermaster Hyper 212+ windows 7 64 bit 
Power
Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Angel
(22 items)
 
 
BOINC me! (TM)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe  Visiontek RX 480 [EK FC nickel/Acetal] 16GB Mushkin Blackline 2133mhz @11-11-11-31-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Crucial M300 1TB Seagate Firecuda 2TB EK Supreme LTX CSQ [Canadian Special Edition] 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP 35X 10W W/ EK CSQ X-TOP EK Coolstream PE 240 Bitspower Multi Tank 80 Bitspower Matte Black Rotary Fittings/ Feser Ma... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Samsung 32 Inch 4K TV Acer S231H NKPC V60 65% custom  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Fractal Design Define Nano S Razer Deathadder 2013 Stelseries QCK+ 
Audio
Astro A40 TR+ Mixamp Pro 
CPUCPUCoolingPower
Antminer S3 Antminer S3 4x Cougar Vortex V12-HP PWM Fans EVGA 500B 500W PSU, Corsair GS700 700W PSU 
Case
2x Factory S3 Steel Cowl Case 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 EVGA P55 Classified 200 XFX Radeon 6850 Refrerence XFX Radeon 5770 XXX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 WD Caviar RE 250GB Coolermaster Hyper 212+ windows 7 64 bit 
Power
Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #123 of 146
Gamed yesterday for about 6 hours of bf3, assassins creed 2 on win 8 yesterday, no problems yet...and ran smooth as butter
post #124 of 146
I had a discussion with some people on another non-tech forum. People who had tried the surface totally believed they were using full desktop apps on the surface because windows is windows. One person claimed they were going to buy one for pshop cs6. This thing is going to confuse the hell out of people.
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #125 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post

I had a discussion with some people on another non-tech forum. People who had tried the surface totally believed they were using full desktop apps on the surface because windows is windows. One person claimed they were going to buy one for pshop cs6. This thing is going to confuse the hell out of people.
What stopping companies like Adobe from producing real applications for WindowsRT? There is finally a tablet that is useful for real productivity now, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see software like PS released for it.
post #126 of 146
I really want one with the real keyboard but the price is mental. Could get a pretty powerful Win8 lappy for that.
post #127 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkibasara1213 View Post

What stopping companies like Adobe from producing real applications for WindowsRT? There is finally a tablet that is useful for real productivity now, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see software like PS released for it.

Can a little ARM cpu/gpu handle Photoshop in any complete capacity? I don't mean the wimpy Photoshop Touch on android or ios.
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
XEON POWER
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E3-1280 V2 Asus p8h77-i EVGA GTX 570  Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866 cl9 16gb 2x8gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F3 Samsung 830 Crucial C300 Samsung USB Blu-Ray 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Dell U2711 HP 2709m Razer Blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider Essentials ST60ES-F Bitfenix Prodigy Razer Naga Molten razer sphex 
Audio
onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #128 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

It seems like your upset, because You don't like the market Microsoft targeted. Everyone knows Android is for mingers and there is no need for Microsoft to go after that market, so they created one of their own. Uno..(?), a productivity tablet, that is actually used for something other than games & entertainment...  but can also do games & entertainment..?

Just out of curiosity who is the target market?

Businesses
1. Corporations - I don't see many large companies purchasing the Surface RT due to lack of backwards compatibility with current software licences. In order to make it more appealing the vendors of said software would have to go back and recompile the existing software for ARM instruction sets or develop a whole new application on the ARM instruction set. I can't imagine doing a whole lot on a 10" screen for hours on end 5 days a week would be very good either. So this leads me to believe that it would be used as a supplement to a laptop or desktop. The problem I see there is with the current economy many companies are tightening their belts and just sucking it in. I have heard many stories of people having to wait an extra year or two before getting an upgrade to their work laptop or they are getting a "newer" model, but one that has been in inventory for the last 2 to 3 years. I think the Surface Pro will be more widely adopted by corporations than the Surface RT, but will be hindered by companies budgets and the 10" screen.
2. Corporate Business Men/Women - I don't see the Surface RT being marketed towards them, since more than likely they will be using the laptop that is provided by their company (goes back up to 1).
3. Small Business Owner - I think Surface RT makes a lot of sense here. I think the productivity apps will be a winner and hopefully integration with Microsoft Servers will be good. The 10" screen is a bit of a double edge sword. Sure it will be helpful for some people, but once again I can't imagine someone using it for extended periods of time (5+ hours). I think things that might hold it back here are the number of apps and price. I don't know the variety of apps on the Microsoft Store, but you are going to need a wide variety of them to appeal to all sorts of small business owners. At $500 the price is a bit steep for some people to get a mobile computer when you can get a decent computer with more functionality other than mobility for less.

Consumers
1. People without a Tablet - This area is where I see the biggest growth for the Surface RT. If they can convince people that they have the superior product they could get a foot hold for future releases. Productivity is the start, but they really need an explosion in their app store to push them over the edge. I think people in grade school through college should be where they are focusing because this is where the productivity and touch screen can shine. You don't need a large screen to write papers or charts/graphs and the touch screen just lends itself to educational applications. Problem is I think they positioned themselves poorly with the price. I know I would never give a $500 device to someone under 4th grade without adult supervision. They also need to diversify their app store and increase the number of apps in it.

2. People with a Tablet - It is going to be hard to convince people to switch. They have already invested between $200 and $800 for a device already and probably bought a number of apps. I don't see a large number of people switching ecosystems on a regular basis. So Microsoft needs to show their ecosystem as a whole is superior to Apple's and Android's. They also need to entice people to switch. I still think a great way would be to give people who trade in a competitor's device or show receipts for apps bought on another platform a a discount on apps or device would go a long way into getting people who are unhappy with their current device to switch.


Others
1. Schools - This is another great place I can see the Surface RT doing well. You don't need a huge screen to write a term paper and the touch screen is great for educational applications. The big caveat is that this costs as much as a decent desktop or laptop which can run more currently available applications. Mobility also has a small problem is the high schools since it would probably be an item that someone would want to steal.

2. Developers - The Surface RT is great for showing that Microsoft is serious about getting into the mobile market. The hardware is good and the software is good (again haven't seen it in person). so there is a lot of potential to get developers on board. The big issue I see is that apps that run on the Surface RT aren't going to run on Surface Pro or Windows 8. Therefore as a developer I would have to double my time and cost to make apps for both platforms to maximize profits.


I see this as a big chance for Microsoft and it is a great step in the right direction, but they have to have a great game plan moving forward. They need to woo developers into their ecosystem as well as people with and without tablets. For developers they need a way to quickly and efficiently build applications for all levels of the Windows OS without adding time and cost for developers. For people without tablets they need to show that their platform is far superior, for the price, to the other platforms and not just touting productivity, because the other platforms have a huge head start. For people with tablets they need to once again show they have a superior platform as well as give people an incentive to switch. If they don't I can't see them getting the foot hold they desperately need in the market dominated by Apple and Android is catching up to. What they can't do is sit on their haunches and expect people to go out and buy one like Apple did when the idea of a tablet was "new" (yes I know that tablets have been around for a long time). I am not saying they are currently doing this, but they seemed to do it with Windows Mobile in the past.

Again this is just my 2cents.gif. I probably missed something so feel free to add.


Here is another example of Microsoft heading in the right direction, they just need to expand it to tablets as well:
Quote:
Windows Phone 8 is out, the tools are available, and devices are about to be released—it’s time to get coding. As an added incentive, for the next 8 days individual developers can register for a Dev Center account for just $8 (a 92 percent savings). Please note because this is a very limited time offer. You’ll be charged $99 USD or equivalent in your local currency, and we’ll refund the difference in the next 30 to 45 days. Watch for more details on Dev Center soon.
Source: http://blogs.windows.com/windows_phone/b/wpdev/archive/2012/10/30/announcing-the-new-windows-phone-8-developer-platform.aspx
N7 Armor
(14 items)
 
Liara
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3930k MSI Big Bang - Xpower II MSI Radeon HD 7970 MSI Radeon HD 7970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI Radeon HD 7970 Corsair Dominator GT Intel 520 Series Intel 520 Series 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mass Effect 3 Edition Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Imperator Mass Effect 3 Edition Razer Mass Effects 3 Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
N7 Armor
(14 items)
 
Liara
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-3930k MSI Big Bang - Xpower II MSI Radeon HD 7970 MSI Radeon HD 7970 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveHard Drive
MSI Radeon HD 7970 Corsair Dominator GT Intel 520 Series Intel 520 Series 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Mass Effect 3 Edition Corsair AX1200 NZXT Switch 810 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Imperator Mass Effect 3 Edition Razer Mass Effects 3 Vespula 
  hide details  
Reply
post #129 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

Thats the lure of all of this. You CAN be productive on the MS Surface... if you want. You are simply unable to, or have too many hurdles with other devices.
It seems like your upset, because You don't like the market Microsoft targeted. Everyone knows Android is for mingers and there is no need for Microsoft to go after that market, so they created one of their own. Uno..(?), a productivity tablet, that is actually used for something other than games & entertainment...  but can also do games & entertainment..?
You obviouly do not blog, type or have a need for either laptop, or tablet..   nor did I until MS Surface.

I own a 15" laptop, which I use to do research and write essays on all the time (I am a student). But I cannot imagine doing serious work on 10" screen. Writing an essay would be awful. 13" is the absolute minimum. 10" netbooks failed for good reason as I said before.

At least android/apple tablets are good for CONSUMING content, detached from a keyboard. This seems to be primarily used with a keyboard, which is the fail part.
Quote:
Also..  Your post^ is in conflict with itself. As you have suggested the MS surface is too small, yet say "..touch makes sense for phones/tablets because you want the screen as close as possible.."  
So esentially... ur just complaining, because you can't have one. Right?

Read my post. It is too small to be used with a keyboard. The advantage of smartphones/tablets is that they have no keyboard and can be used closer to the face.

I don't want one honestly. But I am a bit tempted by ipad 4 or the new samsung android tablet with 1600p or Ipad 4 (moreso samsung since I like customization+more options). They'd be just as nice as my laptop for content and more portable. But this, this is pointless. It's the 10" netbook of tablets. The extra bulk, low resolution and lack of app store kill it.
post #130 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post


I own a 15" laptop, which I use to do research and write essays on all the time (I am a student). But I cannot imagine doing serious work on 10" screen. Writing an essay would be awful. 13" is the absolute minimum. 10" netbooks failed for good reason as I said before.
At least android/apple tablets are good for CONSUMING content, detached from a keyboard. This seems to be primarily used with a keyboard, which is the fail part.
Read my post. It is too small to be used with a keyboard. The advantage of smartphones/tablets is that they have no keyboard and can be used closer to the face.
I don't want one honestly. But I am a bit tempted by ipad 4 or the new samsung android tablet with 1600p or Ipad 4 (moreso samsung since I like customization+more options). They'd be just as nice as my laptop for content and more portable. But this, this is pointless. It's the 10" netbook of tablets. The extra bulk, low resolution and lack of app store kill it.

 

 

Can u imagine doing any of that^ (write essays, do research) on a ipad/tablet..?

 

Your argument is about screen resolution.. which really does not matter to most on a 10" screen, let-alone 4.3" one..   why are you talking about phones again?  Oh... because a tablet is just a big phone to you?

 

So.. why own a 15" laptop, when u can own a 10" one?  Or do u use ur laptop for desktop stuff too? Most people who want a MS Surface, also own a PC & don't rely on, or have a use for a laptop.

 

 

 

Coincidentally, I have 3 x 27" monitors at home, why do I care how big my mobile screen is..? Just as long as it bigger than a phone and has a real keyboard..  Many just need to blog, type & edit stuff on the go. No other tablet allows for that, like the Surface.

 

Texting on a large phone (ie: Android Tablet) is not going to do anything for most people...  at least with the Surface tablet, when the need arises, U can flip down the keyboard and respond to a post, etc..  Otherwise, it's laborious texting.

 

 

 

But then-again, you've set your criteria already, said so yourself.. the android tablet u want has 1600p..!! (OMGFBBQ  u better go buy it, because u might miss ur gaming session). But does it have xbox games..?

 

Or MS office, or Windows8..?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot