Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot - Page 14

post #131 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

I own a 15" laptop, which I use to do research and write essays on all the time (I am a student). But I cannot imagine doing serious work on 10" screen. Writing an essay would be awful. 13" is the absolute minimum. 10" netbooks failed for good reason as I said before.
At least android/apple tablets are good for CONSUMING content, detached from a keyboard. This seems to be primarily used with a keyboard, which is the fail part.
Read my post. It is too small to be used with a keyboard. The advantage of smartphones/tablets is that they have no keyboard and can be used closer to the face.
I don't want one honestly. But I am a bit tempted by ipad 4 or the new samsung android tablet with 1600p or Ipad 4 (moreso samsung since I like customization+more options). They'd be just as nice as my laptop for content and more portable. But this, this is pointless. It's the 10" netbook of tablets. The extra bulk, low resolution and lack of app store kill it.

so MS surface sucks for your essays, but the iPad and Android tablets are more productive for your essays? LOL

please stop talking; you don't know what you are talking about. gawd I hope you are not a science student
post #132 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post


Can u imagine doing any of that^ (write essays, do research) on a ipad/tablet..?

Your argument is about screen resolution.. which really does not matter to most on a 10" screen, let-alone 4.3" one..   why are you talking about phones again?  Oh... because a tablet is just a big phone to you?

So.. why own a 15" laptop, when u can own a 10" one?  Or do u use ur laptop for desktop stuff too? Most people who want a MS Surface, also own a PC & don't rely on, or have a use for a laptop.



Coincidentally, I have 3 x 27" monitors at home, why do I care how big my mobile screen is..? Just as long as it bigger than a phone and has a real keyboard..  Many just need to blog, type & edit stuff on the go. No other tablet allows for that, like the Surface.

Texting on a large phone (ie: Android Tablet) is not going to do anything for most people...  at least with the Surface tablet, when the need arises, U can flip down the keyboard and respond to a post, etc..  Otherwise, it's laborious texting.



But then-again, you've set your criteria already, said so yourself.. the android tablet u want has 1600p..!! (OMGFBBQ  u better go buy it, because u might miss ur gaming session). But does it have xbox games..?

Or MS office, or Windows8..?

You talk like no other tablet can have an integrated keyboard. (Asus transformer + plenty of iPad accessories that do it for ipad) Also, there are many alternatives to MS Office on other tablets that do word processing, spreadsheets, etc. just fine. Finally, the surface isn't quite windows 8. Can't run any legacy apps, which would have been a very compelling reason to buy the Surface, but it can't.
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
Yuki
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.2 Ghz Asus P8P67-M Pro Gigabyte R9 290 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO Western Digital Blue Hitachi Green Thermalright Venomous X Black 
OSKeyboardPowerCase
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit Novatouch Seasonic X-850 Gold Silverstone ft03 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder Steelseries 5C Aune T1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #133 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent999 View Post

so MS surface sucks for your essays, but the iPad and Android tablets are more productive for your essays? LOL
please stop talking; you don't know what you are talking about. gawd I hope you are not a science student

no they don't but they are good for CONTENT consumption. the surface is just the worst of all worlds, not particularly great at content consumption and too small for actual work. as i said before, it is the 10" netbook of ultrabooks.

i guess it is kind of like the asus transformer. so i guess in that way it fits that niche. but why not just buy a keyboard+dock for one of the better tablets out there. it's not like you'll really be saving money with the surface keyboard anyway ($125)
post #134 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post


no they don't but they are good for CONTENT consumption. the surface is just the worst of all worlds, not particularly great at content consumption and too small for actual work. as i said before, it is the 10" netbook of ultrabooks.
i guess it is kind of like the asus transformer. so i guess in that way it fits that niche. but why not just buy a keyboard+dock for one of the better tablets out there. it's not like you'll really be saving money with the surface keyboard anyway ($125)

 

I see..  You are into entertainment..   (ie: "Content Consumption")

 

So You means games..?

 

So You mean movies..?

 

So You mean videoes..?

 

 

 

What movies, or "content" can you NOT consume on a Surface tablet, that you CAN consume on a Android tablet..?

 

Again, we are talking about the Surface.. and using a "docking station" implies you have to have the docking station with you all the time. Which utterly defeats the point of having one.

 

MS Surface, without a keyboard is still a tablet...  why are you pretending that it is not..?

 

 

 

 

Also, if you like consuming games...  then why not Xbox..? I think it is because you love the 4 year old hobby of Android mechanic..

post #135 of 146
The surface is overpriced. I will wait till it drops in price closer to $300 before I would consider buying one.

NEWS FLASH you can connect a keyboard to any tablet that also has bluetooth on it, ever heard of a bluetooth keyboard?
Core
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz Asus P6X58D-E Diamond XOC 4870/512 @ 800//4400 Corsair 3x4gb DDR1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x500GB WD RE2 Raid0 Asus Combo, Asus Combo Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2408h Wide Saitek Eclipse II Corsair HX850W Antec 900 Two 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech Mediaplay Cordless Black as in Dark abyss 
  hide details  
Reply
Core
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.0Ghz Asus P6X58D-E Diamond XOC 4870/512 @ 800//4400 Corsair 3x4gb DDR1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x500GB WD RE2 Raid0 Asus Combo, Asus Combo Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2408h Wide Saitek Eclipse II Corsair HX850W Antec 900 Two 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech Mediaplay Cordless Black as in Dark abyss 
  hide details  
Reply
post #136 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectblade View Post

I own a 15" laptop, which I use to do research and write essays on all the time (I am a student). But I cannot imagine doing serious work on 10" screen. Writing an essay would be awful. 13" is the absolute minimum. 10" netbooks failed for good reason as I said before.
At least android/apple tablets are good for CONSUMING content, detached from a keyboard. This seems to be primarily used with a keyboard, which is the fail part.
Read my post. It is too small to be used with a keyboard. The advantage of smartphones/tablets is that they have no keyboard and can be used closer to the face.
I don't want one honestly. But I am a bit tempted by ipad 4 or the new samsung android tablet with 1600p or Ipad 4 (moreso samsung since I like customization+more options). They'd be just as nice as my laptop for content and more portable. But this, this is pointless. It's the 10" netbook of tablets. The extra bulk, low resolution and lack of app store kill it.

1600p for such a small screen is useless. Shall I see it again? 1600p for such small screen is useless. Seriously, get your act together: I have to see anybody complain that a 27" at 1560p has a big pitch... yet you are saying that an Ipad, being like 1/8 of the size, should have the same pixel density? This makes no sense whatsoever, putting such high resolution screens on such small devices is THE MOST STUPID DECISION EVAAAAAA! There is no difference to be felt or seen and the only explanation is marketing: also, the graphics quality diminishes (less framrate), and so does battery life and everything else...

So, no, no need for such stupid resolution. I had an Ipad 1 in hands and not being even 720p it looked very crisp. Now imagine like 6 times its original resolution... lol, such a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent999 View Post

so MS surface sucks for your essays, but the iPad and Android tablets are more productive for your essays? LOL
please stop talking; you don't know what you are talking about. gawd I hope you are not a science student

Read again. He says that...

a) A tablet is very good for CONSUMPTION, but poor for everything else because of the screen size (no matter if you use keyboard or not).
b) A Microsoft Surface is a tablet with a keyboard... which, for him, makes it poor for anything except consumption due to lack of screen size.

So, his logic is not backwards... well, except for the part about using an Ipad with retina, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

I see..  You are into entertainment..   (ie: "Content Consumption")

So You means games..?

So You mean movies..?

So You mean videoes..?



What movies, or "content" can you NOT consume on a Surface tablet, that you CAN consume on a Android tablet..?

Again, we are talking about the Surface.. and using a "docking station" implies you have to have the docking station with you all the time. Which utterly defeats the point of having one.

MS Surface, without a keyboard is still a tablet...  why are you pretending that it is not..?

Also, if you like consuming games...  then why not Xbox..? I think it is because you love the 4 year old hobby of Android mechanic..

This one is easy. Lets see:

a) We assume that we will only do CONSUMPTION with a product.
b) We assume that we will only do so because we need a bigger screen (no less than 13").
c) We assume that we will choose the cheapest available.

The Microsoft Surface fails in this one. Why? Surface is meant for those who want to have a tablet (portability, touch-screen, battery life...) but need not only consumption, but productivity. I'd love to have a Surface because I type a lot but I need portability (books + calculators + laptop would be too much as a "on-the-go" option), and I REQUIRE MS Office. But if you plan to do the same with an Ipad than with a Surface then you are failing because the Surface is very expensive to only use it as a tablet.
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 2500k MSI P67 GD65 GTX460 1GB GTX460 1GB 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill Ripjaws Crucial C300 Prolimatech Megahalems + 2 x GT AP15 Win 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2311H Noppoo Choc mini Corsair HX620 Microcool Banchetto rev. 2.0 black aluminium 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Zowie EC1 Zowie Fiio E7 + E9 / Sennheiser HD 25 1 II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #137 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by prava View Post

1600p for such a small screen is useless. Shall I see it again? 1600p for such small screen is useless. Seriously, get your act together: I have to see anybody complain that a 27" at 1560p has a big pitch... yet you are saying that an Ipad, being like 1/8 of the size, should have the same pixel density? This makes no sense whatsoever, putting such high resolution screens on such small devices is THE MOST STUPID DECISION EVAAAAAA! There is no difference to be felt or seen and the only explanation is marketing: also, the graphics quality diminishes (less framrate), and so does battery life and everything else...
So, no, no need for such stupid resolution. I had an Ipad 1 in hands and not being even 720p it looked very crisp. Now imagine like 6 times its original resolution... lol, such a waste.

your example is flawed because you use a desktop monitor much further away than a tablet.
it matters for text+photos, but not so much for other stuff. reading small text is much easier at super-high resolution. i notice this especially when using excel on my rmbp. and this is a productivity device, so you'd think they'd deal with text. but for watching movies/videos i agree (but why would you buy this if that's all you care about?). also 16:9 on tiny screen=fail for productivity.

the only reason to buy this is for office, but that will soon come to android/ios anyway and there are alternatives that work as well currently (open office).
Edited by perfectblade - 11/2/12 at 9:30am
post #138 of 146
can we all stop arguing, im on a surface right now typing this, and i can say, its damn well worth the money you pay, the build quality is outstanding, and what you can do with it easily replaces a laptop.
Orange Angel
(23 items)
 
 
BOINC me! (TM)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe  Visiontek RX 480 [EK FC nickel/Acetal] 16GB Mushkin Blackline 2133mhz @11-11-11-31-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Crucial M300 1TB Seagate Firecuda 2TB EK Supreme LTX CSQ [Canadian Special Edition] 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP 35X 10W W/ EK CSQ X-TOP EK Coolstream PE 240 Bitspower Multi Tank 80 Bitspower Matte Black Rotary Fittings/ Feser Ma... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Samsung 32 Inch 4K TV Acer S231H NKPC V60 65% custom  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Fractal Design Define Nano S Razer Deathadder 2013 Stelseries QCK+ 
AudioOther
Astro A40 TR+ Mixamp Pro AKRacing Arctica Gaming Chair 
CPUCPUCoolingPower
Antminer S3 Antminer S3 4x Cougar Vortex V12-HP PWM Fans EVGA 500B 500W PSU, Corsair GS700 700W PSU 
Case
2x Factory S3 Steel Cowl Case 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 EVGA P55 Classified 200 XFX Radeon 6850 Refrerence XFX Radeon 5770 XXX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 WD Caviar RE 250GB Coolermaster Hyper 212+ windows 7 64 bit 
Power
Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Angel
(23 items)
 
 
BOINC me! (TM)
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.8Ghz ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe  Visiontek RX 480 [EK FC nickel/Acetal] 16GB Mushkin Blackline 2133mhz @11-11-11-31-1T 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Crucial M300 1TB Seagate Firecuda 2TB EK Supreme LTX CSQ [Canadian Special Edition] 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
MCP 35X 10W W/ EK CSQ X-TOP EK Coolstream PE 240 Bitspower Multi Tank 80 Bitspower Matte Black Rotary Fittings/ Feser Ma... 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit Samsung 32 Inch 4K TV Acer S231H NKPC V60 65% custom  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair HX750 Fractal Design Define Nano S Razer Deathadder 2013 Stelseries QCK+ 
AudioOther
Astro A40 TR+ Mixamp Pro AKRacing Arctica Gaming Chair 
CPUCPUCoolingPower
Antminer S3 Antminer S3 4x Cougar Vortex V12-HP PWM Fans EVGA 500B 500W PSU, Corsair GS700 700W PSU 
Case
2x Factory S3 Steel Cowl Case 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5 750 EVGA P55 Classified 200 XFX Radeon 6850 Refrerence XFX Radeon 5770 XXX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 WD Caviar RE 250GB Coolermaster Hyper 212+ windows 7 64 bit 
Power
Corsair GS600 
  hide details  
Reply
post #139 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkibasara1213 View Post

What stopping companies like Adobe from producing real applications for WindowsRT? There is finally a tablet that is useful for real productivity now, and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see software like PS released for it.

 

 

Nothing^ is stopping Companies.

 

WinRT sits ontop the WIndowsNT kernal, the same one WIndows8 and partially Win7 does/did..! Remember, WinRT does not run on x86, so it just locked down, because it's now it's own ecosystem. Equal to what Apple has done with iPhone & iPad, etc..

 

ARM proccesors are about efficiency, not nec speed. Thus CAD software can function and be written for WinRT, but it's performance would have to be scaled back. That doesn't mean SurfaceRT is terrible, it just means that the average person, won't need such elaborate non-apps on their 10" mobile device. As people have to maintain a clear distinction between "applets" & real application, or software programs.

 

 

 

I've found a good video that explain it perfeactly.

 

Here:

 

 

 

After xmas SurfacePro comes out, so there will be a choice.

 

 

 

Story:

My mother is 62, she is sick of her clunky 5 year old 15" laptop. When I showed her the video of MS Surface (the first one with bearings and magnesium dust), she fell in love with the simplicity of the device. She even asked about it the keyboard got stolen, or broken, can she still us it, etc..

 

Also don't underestimate the power of status quo..!  MS Office on a tablet is a major plus for WinRT & easily sellable on Surface.

post #140 of 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post


Nothing^ is stopping Companies.

WinRT sits ontop the WIndowsNT kernal, the same one WIndows8 and partially Win7 does/did..! Remember, WinRT does not run on x86, so it just locked down, because it's now it's own ecosystem. Equal to what Apple has done with iPhone & iPad, etc..

ARM proccesors are about efficiency, not nec speed. Thus CAD software can function and be written for WinRT, but it's performance would have to be scaled back. That doesn't mean SurfaceRT is terrible, it just means that the average person, won't need such elaborate non-apps on their 10" mobile device. As people have to maintain a clear distinction between "applets" & real application, or software programs.



I've found a good video that explain it perfeactly.

Here:




After xmas SurfacePro comes out, so there will be a choice.



Story:
My mother is 62, she is sick of her clunky 5 year old 15" laptop. When I showed her the video of MS Surface (the first one with bearings and magnesium dust), she fell in love with the simplicity of the device. She even asked about it the keyboard got stolen, or broken, can she still us it, etc..

Also don't underestimate the power of status quo..! MS Office on a tablet is a major plus for WinRT & easily sellable on Surface.

exactly. having a tablet that can in essence go from tablet to full laptop when needed(while running a full blown desktop OS is amazing and will end up HUGE!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [CNET] At the moment, Microsoft Surface is hot