Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How high can the new FX-6350 OC to?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How high can the new FX-6350 OC to?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 
I was looking into getting the 6350 (3.9ghz base, 4.1 turbo) because it is an AMAZING price (all the new fx processors are now, under 200 for the 8350???) and has the most bang for your money. I dont want to deal with the higher temps/TDP of the 8350...and I don't feel like spending that much. IF i was spending 200 bucks on a CPU i would go to intel. Im broke, which is why its AMD all the way biggrin.gif


First off....I know they shipped in OEM machines, but I see people, even on this forum saying they own the 8350 or the 6300 or the 6350. I have looked everywhere, and newegg doesnt have them...so if newegg doesnt have it, no one has it. Where do you get them? Im so confused, they are NOWHERE XP


Second, would it be relistic to overclock all 6 integer cores to 4.5ghz (no turbo) on air?
post #2 of 29
Thread Starter 
Nevermind about finding them...i could of sworn they weren't there 12 hours ago...
post #3 of 29
IMO, I would grab an FX-6300 and clock the hell out of it. 4.5ghz would be a very realistic goal on air I would say.

Do you need an AM3+ board as well, or just the CPU?
post #4 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by *ka24e* View Post

IMO, I would grab an FX-6300 and clock the hell out of it. 4.5ghz would be a very realistic goal on air I would say.
Do you need an AM3+ board as well, or just the CPU?


I need a new board as well. Obviously, one with some good OC ability (and could upgrade to the 8 core when steamroller comes out), im looking to spend no more than ~130 on the mobo. 115 would be ideal. Any ideas?
post #5 of 29
If you could spend the extra $5 this board is a good one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

I have this board and its pretty solid for overclocking in my experiences:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 29
If the FX-6300 is anything like BD. It will do between 4.4-5.0ghz.
post #7 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

I have this board and its pretty solid for overclocking in my experiences:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519

Ill probably get this. Im (probably) not going to water cooling, so an extreme overclock is out of the question anyways, and you say it works well for you. Would I say, be able to get a 4.5ghz OC out of a 6300 with this board.


Also, a side question, isn't the fx series 8000 have 4 cores, 6000 3 cores, and 4000 2 cores (and then integer cores)
post #8 of 29
Quote:
Ill probably get this. Im (probably) not going to water cooling, so an extreme overclock is out of the question anyways, and you say it works well for you. Would I say, be able to get a 4.5ghz OC out of a 6300 with this board.

Most likely, I got my 4100 to 4.6ghz no problem and I got it close to 5ghz before it became unstable. That board is really not bad for only being $105 you get ON/OFF charge USB, USB3, lots of USB2, PS/2, and Firewire. The bios isn't the newer UEFI stuff but its rather easy to figure out how to overclock.
Quote:
Also, a side question, isn't the fx series 8000 have 4 cores, 6000 3 cores, and 4000 2 cores (and then integer cores)

Yes, supposedly Steamroller is going to fix a lot of problems that were in Bulldozer. Piledriver was just a 10%-15% performance increase which it somewhat is, AMD is going back to fix what what was wrong with the Bulldozer architecture in the first release.

amd_steamroller_core.jpg

link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/29/amd_papermaster_steamroller_seamicro_opteron/
Edited by TKFlight - 10/30/12 at 8:47am
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

Most likely, I got my 4100 to 4.6ghz no problem and I got it close to 5ghz before it became unstable. That board is really not bad for only being $105 you get ON/OFF charge USB, USB3, lots of USB2, PS/2, and Firewire. The bios isn't the newer UEFI stuff but its rather easy to figure out how to overclock.
Yes, supposedly Steamroller is going to fix a lot of problems that were in Bulldozer. Piledriver was just a 10%-15% performance increase which it somewhat is, AMD is going back to fix what what was wrong with the Bulldozer architecture in the first release.
amd_steamroller_core.jpg
link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/29/amd_papermaster_steamroller_seamicro_opteron/


Yeah I know the UEFI Bios is pretty neat - but i have never used it, and I dont really care for it. I just need it to work. It's not like im going to be in the bios most of the time biggrin.gif

Steamroller is supposed to be around mid 2013? Or late? Should i wait for steamroller? Or should I grab the insanely cheap 6300 and OC?. The FX series seem to be HELLA cheap, so picking up a steamroller shouldn't be too bad, even an 8 core. Its a bigger deal now, because I need to get a new motherboard.
post #10 of 29
Quote:
Steamroller is supposed to be around mid 2013? Or late? Should i wait for steamroller? Or should I grab the insanely cheap 6300 and OC?. The FX series seem to be HELLA cheap, so picking up a steamroller shouldn't be too bad, even an 8 core. Its a bigger deal now, because I need to get a new motherboard.

The new 1090FX motherboards are coming out with Steamroller which looks like the middle of next year sometime. I'm not sure if you want to go out and buy a new CPU and motherboard if AMD is releasing the 1090FX chipsets and the new Steamroller processors in 2013. My suggestion is to wait and see what happens with Intel Haswell and Steamroller then upgrade.
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
Console Killa
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770K 4.0Ghz(Turbo) Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Gigabyte 7950 1100mhz/1250mhz Crucial Ballistix 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2TB Seagate Samsung 840 120GB SSD Asus 24x Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 8.1 64-Bit Samsung Syncmaster 23.6" 650watt OCZ HAF 912 Mid Tower 
Other
Soon to be MX-2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › How high can the new FX-6350 OC to?