Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Unconventional loop
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Unconventional loop

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello

I am aware that you must have the reservoir before the pump, having a cosmos 2 isn't the ideal water cooling case but it can be done.

I've got a Alphacool XT45 360 in the top then 2 UT60 240 in the bottom, my reservoir is a Aqua computer Aqualis and pump D5 variable. The most efficient way is to have RES > UT60 #1 > UT60 #2 > D5 > GPU > UT45 > CPU > RAM > RES. Will this cause any significant issues or cause a drop in cooling performance if I was to have the pump after both bottom radiators?

The reason why I am considering this option is having a cluster **** of tubes in the bottom of the case. If you were wondering I am using San Ace 120x38 in a push config only.

Thanks
post #2 of 13
I'm sorry but... Why???

You have 3 rads in there, unless you're running 3x 580s or something there is very little point having that many. You could get rid of two of them and run on a single 360mm and still get good temps. I'd personally try a single 240mm and see how that goes.

Comps
post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

I'm sorry but... Why???
You have 3 rads in there, unless you're running 3x 580s or something there is very little point having that many. You could get rid of two of them and run on a single 360mm and still get good temps. I'd personally try a single 240mm and see how that goes.
Comps

I live in the tropics, humidity is in the 80-90% range.
I plan on purchasing another GTX 690
Because I can?

Hoping for an answer to my question.
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axehand View Post

I live in the tropics, humidity is in the 80-90% range.
I plan on purchasing another GTX 690
Because I can?
Hoping for an answer to my question.

Right, because you can in this instance is kinda silly. But in answer to your question no it won't cause a massive performance issue.

However it's still complete overkill and you'd be fine with a single 360,

C
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Right, because you can in this instance is kinda silly. But in answer to your question no it won't cause a massive performance issue.
However it's still complete overkill and you'd be fine with a single 360,
C

I will take that into consideration, thanks for your help. thumb.gif
post #6 of 13
As far as water temps, loop order has almost no effect at all (1 to 2 degrees celcius at most). The only issue I see is that it's usually a good idea to put the res directly before the pump to make sure the pump never runs dry. Once you get the loop bled it won't matter, but you'll have to be careful bleeding the loop if you run it the way you laid out.
post #7 of 13
the res beofre the pump is just a percausion to make it harder to run you pump dry... you can put your pump at any place inm your loop and it will work perfectly fine (when people were doing t-lines they didnt even have a res)... as for the performance, you should get great temps with that setup... the only think that may concern me is that depending on your GPU bloack, your flow rate in your CPU block may be slightly lower, but will be around a 1C difference max... also make sure that when you fill your loop, if you dont have the pump right after the res, then make sure your pump is off when you fill your loop untill you are absolutely positive it has sufficient water supply (mounting it physically lower then the res can help with this)
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axehand View Post

I've got a Alphacool XT45 360 in the top then 2 UT60 240 in the bottom, my reservoir is a Aqua computer Aqualis and pump D5 variable. The most efficient way is to have RES > UT60 #1 > UT60 #2 > D5 > GPU > UT45 > CPU > RAM > RES. Will this cause any significant issues or cause a drop in cooling performance if I was to have the pump after both bottom radiators?

Res >pump is suggested as protection from dry running pump, and ideally to keep cavitation to a minimum, which helps keep noise down. But most people dont worry about the latter redface.gif

Two suggestions

First off, What about...

XT45 > res > d5 > ram > cpu > gpu > ut 60 > ut 60 > xt45 ?

...xt45 hose connection end at front of case, drops down the front to res, then pump, tubing then goes in a soft arc diagonally up and towards back of case, hits ram, goes across to cpu, drops down to gpu, drops down to midplate, through mid plate to other rads, up through mid plate at front of case to xt45...

Post a pic of your components and a paint version of where you plan to put parts, hard to imagine what you are planning to do really.

Second idea.

...keep your set up, but incorporate this guy (smallest res i could find!)...

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_657&products_id=35200

...and place him just ahead of your pump. Keep all your other components, just try and tuck him away on his side as the image shows. Maybe install it raised just a bit higher then your pump. This will give your pump a bit more of a safety, and, bonus, if yiu wanted to install an extra fill/drain port, easy connections! Actually if you have the room in the lower section wherethe ut60s are going to be to install a longer tube res, do it! The more water in your system the higher the capacity!
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimbleJack View Post

Res >pump is suggested as protection from dry running pump, and ideally to keep cavitation to a minimum, which helps keep noise down. But most people dont worry about the latter redface.gif
Two suggestions
First off, What about...
XT45 > res > d5 > ram > cpu > gpu > ut 60 > ut 60 > xt45 ?
...xt45 hose connection end at front of case, drops down the front to res, then pump, tubing then goes in a soft arc diagonally up and towards back of case, hits ram, goes across to cpu, drops down to gpu, drops down to midplate, through mid plate to other rads, up through mid plate at front of case to xt45...
Post a pic of your components and a paint version of where you plan to put parts, hard to imagine what you are planning to do really.
Second idea.
...keep your set up, but incorporate this guy (smallest res i could find!)...
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_657&products_id=35200
...and place him just ahead of your pump. Keep all your other components, just try and tuck him away on his side as the image shows. Maybe install it raised just a bit higher then your pump. This will give your pump a bit more of a safety, and, bonus, if yiu wanted to install an extra fill/drain port, easy connections! Actually if you have the room in the lower section wherethe ut60s are going to be to install a longer tube res, do it! The more water in your system the higher the capacity!

what he ^ say... + rep for good explination and help (even though im not the one that asked tongue.gif)
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Bang Theory
(15 items)
 
old meets new
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3930k @ 4.1 GHz Big Bang Xpower II HIS 7970 ICE X2 HIS 7970 ICE X2 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaw Z 64GB @ 1833 MHz Vertex 4 512GB Vertex 4 512GB H80i 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 7 Ultimate Auria 27" (2560x1440) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Lepa G. 1600 
CaseMouseAudio
HAF X 942 Corsair M90 Senheiser S170 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Q6600 EP45-UD3P Sapphire 5870 ASUS 5850-Top Direct CU 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
DDR2 Dominators 1x 80GB samsung H70 XP Pro 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell 22" (1680x1050) Sony 17" (800x900) Auria 27" (2560x1440) Wolf king 
PowerCase
Ultra X4 1600W CM HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Alright, I've done a rough sketch in paint of what I think is a good setup.

Side view
Top view of bottom

The parts that I have put together have been chosen after reading many threads, reviews which I have come to the conclusion that these are the best.

MONITORING:
Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT USB Fan Controller
Heat Sink for Aquaero 5
Poweradjust 2

CASE FANS:
SilverStone FHP141 x 4
Bit Fenix Spectre Pro 200mm Black x 1

BLOCKS:
CPU - XSPC Raystorm w/ Green LED
Raystorm Intel Aluminum Bracket
GPU - XSPC Razor GTX690 w/ Green LED
RAM - XSPC Universal Memory Copper Waterblock w/ Ram Spreaders
Universal Memory Side Plate Set
3mm Green LED x 2

PUMP:
Aqua Computer D5 pump motor with USB and aquabus interface
Pump adapter for D5 pumps, compatible with aqualis, G1/4

RADIATORS:
Top - Alphacool NeXXXos XT45 Full Copper 360mm
Bottom - Alphacool NeXXXos UT60 Full Copper 280mm x 2
Stand - XSPC 140mm Radstand x 2
Fans - San Ace 109P1412M101 140x38 x 4
San Ace 9G1212H1011 120x38 x 3

RESERVOIR:
Aqualis XT 880ml With fill level sensor and LED Holder, G1/4
aqualis base for pump adapters 450 ml with nano coating

TUBING:
Primochill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD

TIM:
Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra


Now I am a little bit confused about the TIM, I want to go with the best out there and it seems the Liquid ultra is the way to go but have heard its really hard to clean? Can I use this for my memory and GPU block aswell? I also plan to delid my 3770k.

I am going to use Mayhem Ultra pure H20 with Green XT-1, is this a good combo? Would like to get a confirmation ASAP as I don't want to miss out on the coupon at PCCS.
Edited by Axehand - 11/22/12 at 1:06am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Unconventional loop