Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Diablotek 775W SLI Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Diablotek 775W SLI Question

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Hello there! I'm brand new here, but have lurked for a long time.

I recently created a thread in the Nvidia forum about 2 GTX 580's being bottlenecked by my overclocked QX9650, but was advised to come here and ask opinions on whether my power supply would even be up to snuff.

This is my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817822015&Tpk=diablotek%20775w

The user reviews that I saw seemed good to me, and I couldn't find any professional reviews, so I pulled the trigger. The general opinion around here is that Diablotek are bottom of the barrel crap, but does that mean that I'm in danger of my PSU exploding, or just that I should never expect it to output 775W?

I have been having issues with my display drivers crashing (black screen while sound continues), but only in certain circumstances. Crysis 2 with DX11 and high-res on ultra can run all day long (as can Skyrim maxed out with mods), but Borderlands 2 crashes regularly with PhysX set to anything other than low.

Any input? Should I replace the PSU immediately, or should I just pay attention to warning signs?
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 30
Welcome! You've come to the right place.

As far as that PSU, user reviews are useless, that basically includes "does it power on when I hit the button". Diablotek makes PSU shaped items that belong nowhere near a PC, under any circumstance (unless maybe you want a house fire?). I can't even find a single legit review on that unit, which is saying something. I would replace it before something bad happens to your nice hardware.

On to your issue, it may or may not have to do with your power supply, but the fact that BL2 is the culprit is pretty telling. I have lots and lots of crashes with that game, I would probably consider it normal.

Also, fill out your rig specs HERE and add it to your signature so people can better assist you.
post #3 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Welcome! You've come to the right place.
As far as that PSU, user reviews are useless, that basically includes "does it power on when I hit the button". Diablotek makes PSU shaped items that belong nowhere near a PC, under any circumstance (unless maybe you want a house fire?). I can't even find a single legit review on that unit, which is saying something. I would replace it before something bad happens to your nice hardware.
On to your issue, it may or may not have to do with your power supply, but the fact that BL2 is the culprit is pretty telling. I have lots and lots of crashes with that game, I would probably consider it normal.
Also, fill out your rig specs HERE and add it to your signature so people can better assist you.

Sweet merciful crap, THAT bad? Greeeeaaaaat.

What kind of power supply would you recommend I replace it with? I'd like to keep it future proof, but don't need anything crazy. Everything is getting more efficient, and the most I'd ever have is an overclocked i7 and 2 graphics cards. I would imagine an i7 and SLI 680s would run comfortably on a quality 800+, right?

I don't want to be spending $250 or anything, but if my current PSU is really that bad, then looks like my hands are tied.
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Sweet merciful crap, THAT bad? Greeeeaaaaat.
What kind of power supply would you recommend I replace it with? I'd like to keep it future proof, but don't need anything crazy. Everything is getting more efficient, and the most I'd ever have is an overclocked i7 and 2 graphics cards. I would imagine an i7 and SLI 680s would run comfortably on a quality 800+, right?
I don't want to be spending $250 or anything, but if my current PSU is really that bad, then looks like my hands are tied.

Diablotek are regarded...poorly in the PSU market. Can you list out the specs of your rig? Otherwise it is hard to gauge what power supply would be good for you.
post #5 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

I would imagine an i7 and SLI 680s would run comfortably on a quality 800+, right?

An OCed SB/IB i7 and 680s in SLI can be comfortably be powered on a quality unit 650w. =)
post #6 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Diablotek are regarded...poorly in the PSU market. Can you list out the specs of your rig? Otherwise it is hard to gauge what power supply would be good for you.

I created a list of my current computer. I can't imagine my current PSU needs are all that high, but I will definitely be upgrading in the future when Intel puts out their new tock release, and Nvidia releases their 700 series (either a 700 series, or 600 series if the price drops enough).

I also understand a PSU will operate most efficiently closer to the middle of its rated output, so I have no problem buying an 850 to power a 650W system. Just don't want to go overboard and buy a PSU rated for quad-sli or anything.
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 30
From HARD Forum's review:

"It has been a long time since we have seen such a useless power supply come through our review process. In fact the only unit I remember off the top of my head that comes close to matching this piece of crap was the Ultra X2 750W EE (Exploding Edition). I think one of the best things I can say about the Diablotek PHD650 is that it gives me a real legitimate reason to recommend the Cooler Master GX 650 watts over some other unit. Congratulations in that regard Diablotek, you just made another piece of goose crap look like the golden egg. Otherwise I think the rest of my thoughts on this unit are probably not printable and use a lot of four letter words.

The Bottom Line

With the PHD650, Diablotek seemingly tried to polish a turd with a turd and as such we got the expected outcome, a pile of crap. Given the horrible build quality of the unit and poor component selection of the unit that is hardly a startling result. With a current price of ~$49.99, users would be better off taking their cash and setting it on fire rather than buying this unit. There is quite literally no price point or situation where the Diablotek PHD650 should be a consideration for users as it failed almost every test possible today. Retailers and e-tailers should be ashamed to be selling such a product."
 
Redemption
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Dual GPU's Folding for OCN 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 21.5" 1080p IPS ASUS 1600x900 IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) Antec HCG-900 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G400S ASUS Xonar DS (onboard sucks) Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 
Audio
M-Audio AV40's 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Redemption
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Dual GPU's Folding for OCN 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 21.5" 1080p IPS ASUS 1600x900 IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) Antec HCG-900 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G400S ASUS Xonar DS (onboard sucks) Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 
Audio
M-Audio AV40's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmark2 View Post

From HARD Forum's review:
"It has been a long time since we have seen such a useless power supply come through our review process. In fact the only unit I remember off the top of my head that comes close to matching this piece of crap was the Ultra X2 750W EE (Exploding Edition). I think one of the best things I can say about the Diablotek PHD650 is that it gives me a real legitimate reason to recommend the Cooler Master GX 650 watts over some other unit. Congratulations in that regard Diablotek, you just made another piece of goose crap look like the golden egg. Otherwise I think the rest of my thoughts on this unit are probably not printable and use a lot of four letter words.
The Bottom Line
With the PHD650, Diablotek seemingly tried to polish a turd with a turd and as such we got the expected outcome, a pile of crap. Given the horrible build quality of the unit and poor component selection of the unit that is hardly a startling result. With a current price of ~$49.99, users would be better off taking their cash and setting it on fire rather than buying this unit. There is quite literally no price point or situation where the Diablotek PHD650 should be a consideration for users as it failed almost every test possible today. Retailers and e-tailers should be ashamed to be selling such a product."

Haha wow, that's about as blunt as they come. I've not had any mysterious stability issues with mine so far though, so I must be lucky. Regardless, looks like it's off to Newegg I go.
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
Someone's Trash
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core2Quad QX9650 Foxconn Blackops x48 Zotac Amp! GTX 580 1.5GB G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Windows 7 x64 Professional Hanns-G 27" 1920x1200 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Rosewill Tachyon 750W 80+ Plat Rosewill Thor Logitech Wireless Trackball M570 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Haha wow, that's about as blunt as they come. I've not had any mysterious stability issues with mine so far though, so I must be lucky. Regardless, looks like it's off to Newegg I go.

yessir.gif An excellent idea. If I could make a recommendation, the Rosewill Capstones are looking really nice. biggrin.gif
 
Redemption
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Dual GPU's Folding for OCN 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 21.5" 1080p IPS ASUS 1600x900 IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) Antec HCG-900 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G400S ASUS Xonar DS (onboard sucks) Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 
Audio
M-Audio AV40's 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Redemption
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-4200U Microsoft BGA1168 Intel HD 4400 8 GB LPDDR3 Dual Channel @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
SK Hynix 256GB SSD Windows 8.1 Professional 1920 x 1080p IPS Display Microsoft Touch Cover 2 
Power
48w PSU 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Not telling AsRock something Dual GPU's Folding for OCN 2 x 8 GB AMD Radeon RAM @ 1600mhz (All the VM's) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 128GB (8 second boot) Western Digital RE4 1TB Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 8.1 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 21.5" 1080p IPS ASUS 1600x900 IBM Model M (CLICKY!!) Antec HCG-900 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
NZXT Source 210 (it was cheap) Logitech G400S ASUS Xonar DS (onboard sucks) Sennheiser HD 280 Pro 
Audio
M-Audio AV40's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrogbo View Post

Haha wow, that's about as blunt as they come. I've not had any mysterious stability issues with mine so far though, so I must be lucky. Regardless, looks like it's off to Newegg I go.

Starting in this thread would be a great spot to find some highly recommended units, since it is a commonly asked question for all sorts of builds. Something in the 750-850w range might be a good choice so you can grow your system later if you wanted to, I like to buy a PSU with more capacity than I need just because my rig never stays the same for more than a month or two.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Diablotek 775W SLI Question