Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › gtx 480 gtx 670 4g Where the difference in overall performance I dont see the gain
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

gtx 480 gtx 670 4g Where the difference in overall performance I dont see the gain

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Im running 2 gtx 480 in sli I also have a evga 670 gtx with 4 gig of vram. I know the 480s are hot and loud but in sli there pretty much unstoppable . I had the to rma the 670 already. I'm just happier with the 480s almost want 3. What am I missing? I dont see much difference in gaming or anything else. So what am I missing I'm not a expert at all in this field or any really but I can get 2 480 for under $400 why would I buy another 670? Wheres there difference besides power and heat?
post #2 of 9
A 670 should be like 15% faster than a single 480? I dunno what you are asking really since you already answered your question. If you don't see a difference between SLI 480s and a single 670 then ???

Get another 670 and have power = to 4x 480's sli???
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 4ghz 1.25v Evga Classified E760/E762 Evga Gtx 480 + Galaxy GTX 480 SLI 6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial C300 256Gb, Samsung 7200rpm 320gb, 2x W... Windows 7 64-bit Home premium Dell U2410 1920x1200 Wireless Logitech 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Quatro 1200w Corsair 800D Razer Death Adder Office Depot thingy 
AudioAudio
Asus Xonar STX Sennheiser HD555's 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
You will have a better upgrade path from a single GTX670 than adding a 3rd GTX480. GTX480's as you know are hot buggers, adding a 3rd would be like a furnace unless your watercooled. Also the performance benefits from a 3rd GTX480 would be rubbish unless your running beyond 1080p. And i won't even get into the power requirements, is your PSU upto the task for TRI SLI?
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
 
X79 Build
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6950X @ 4.0Ghz Asus Rampage V Extreme [Bios:3101] 2x EVGA GeForce Titan X SC Editions in SLI 32GB (4×8) Corsair Dominator Platinums (3000Mhz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 Nvme 2x 256GB Vertex 4 SSD (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda [Storage] Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) Windows 10 Pro x64 2x 27" Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 144hz  Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX 80 Plus Titanium 
CaseAudio
Lian Li PC-O8WX ATX Cube Case Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3930K (C2) @ (4.6Ghz) Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Bios 3204) 3x EVGA GTX780Ti's SC Editions 32GB (4x8GB) G-Skill TridentX 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4's (RAID-0) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 64MB Cache Pioneer BDR-207DBK Blu-ray Writer Corsair H105 (Push/Pull) 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win7 Pro 64Bit & Win10 Pro 64Bit Asus ROG Swift (2560x1440 @144hz) Corsair AX1200 + Corsair RED sleeved cables Coolermaster Cosmos II Ultra 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 9
GTX 480's are still very powerful cards, but they have their downsides such as RAM, heat output, and power consumption, but when watercooled they are fantastic cards. With that said, if you have 2 GTX 480's right now, keep them and wait for the next gen cards unless you are planning on running games above 1920x1080 or need less heat output. Above 1920x1080 they will be crippled because of their vram.
Z270
(7 items)
 
X58
(10 items)
 
Still Kickin'
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600K 4.6GHz @ 1.3v De-Lidded Asus Z270I EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Patriot Viper 3000mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOS
a bunch of random SSD's Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5670 @4.4GHz ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 980Ti @1455/3766 12GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850/OCZ Trion 150 Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional  Asus PB258Q 
Power
Corsair AX650 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5470 (LGA 771)  ASUS PQ5 PRO TURBO EVGA GTX 980Ti Random DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB LEPA Exllusion 240 Windows 10 Pro Asus PB258Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX650 TBD Razer Mamba TE 
  hide details  
Reply
Z270
(7 items)
 
X58
(10 items)
 
Still Kickin'
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600K 4.6GHz @ 1.3v De-Lidded Asus Z270I EVGA GTX 980Ti SC Patriot Viper 3000mhz DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOS
a bunch of random SSD's Corsair H100i V2 Windows 10 Pro 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5670 @4.4GHz ASUS P6X58D-E EVGA GTX 980Ti @1455/3766 12GB Kingston HyperX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850/OCZ Trion 150 Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional  Asus PB258Q 
Power
Corsair AX650 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon X5470 (LGA 771)  ASUS PQ5 PRO TURBO EVGA GTX 980Ti Random DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung EVO 840 250GB LEPA Exllusion 240 Windows 10 Pro Asus PB258Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Corsair AX650 TBD Razer Mamba TE 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM1 View Post

Im running 2 gtx 480 in sli I also have a evga 670 gtx with 4 gig of vram. I know the 480s are hot and loud but in sli there pretty much unstoppable . I had the to rma the 670 already. I'm just happier with the 480s almost want 3. What am I missing? I dont see much difference in gaming or anything else. So what am I missing I'm not a expert at all in this field or any really but I can get 2 480 for under $400 why would I buy another 670? Wheres there difference besides power and heat?

That's because a couple of 480's in SLI are most definitely faster than a single 670. Heck, they're faster than a 680. Not a lot, but a bit.

There's not a lot of reasons to upgrade SLI 480's to a single 670/680 aside from the vastly higher efficiency of Kepler in terms of power consumption, and all the related issues like heat/noise/power bill. Kepler can also run Surround on one card, whereas you need SLI with Fermi to do so.

You also have the extra vram, but that's likely only going to come into play if you are running surround resolutions ... and even then, aside from some very specific circumstances (like Skyrim with heavy texture modding), 4GB is overkill for 670/680 unless you're running two of them in SLI. Basically, if you know you'll only ever be using a single card and/or you aren't going to be running Surround, the 2GB 670 is the one to buy IMHO.

Bottom-line, 480's in SLI is still beastly, if you don't mind the heat/noise/power consumption, there's not really a compelling reason to 'upgrade' from them to a 670 unless you KNOW you need the vram for some game that's important to you that isn't running well on the 480's. OR ... if there's a game you care about for which there's no SLI support, and a single 480 isn't cutting it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

You will have a better upgrade path from a single GTX670 than adding a 3rd GTX480. GTX480's as you know are hot buggers, adding a 3rd would be like a furnace unless your watercooled. Also the performance benefits from a 3rd GTX480 would be rubbish unless your running beyond 1080p. And i won't even get into the power requirements, is your PSU upto the task for TRI SLI?
1600 watt ultra x4 but its really only 1250 unless I rewire house. I am watercooled but doesn't seem to make sense to do three at this point from what I read so far.
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

That's because a couple of 480's in SLI are most definitely faster than a single 670. Heck, they're faster than a 680. Not a lot, but a bit.
There's not a lot of reasons to upgrade SLI 480's to a single 670/680 aside from the vastly higher efficiency of Kepler in terms of power consumption, and all the related issues like heat/noise/power bill. Kepler can also run Surround on one card, whereas you need SLI with Fermi to do so.
You also have the extra vram, but that's likely only going to come into play if you are running surround resolutions ... and even then, aside from some very specific circumstances (like Skyrim with heavy texture modding), 4GB is overkill for 670/680 unless you're running two of them in SLI. Basically, if you know you'll only ever be using a single card and/or you aren't going to be running Surround, the 2GB 670 is the one to buy IMHO.
Bottom-line, 480's in SLI is still beastly, if you don't mind the heat/noise/power consumption, there's not really a compelling reason to 'upgrade' from them to a 670 unless you KNOW you need the vram for some game that's important to you that isn't running well on the 480's. OR ... if there's a game you care about for which there's no SLI support, and a single 480 isn't cutting it.
Thanks for your information. I'm not a big gamer or a good one at that so I probably have more then I need. I just have two computers here and feel weird when I sit down with my 670 that I paid big money for and it does less then my 2 cheap cards in sli. I guess my question should be of more of a visual kind. Is the keepler a sharper image then the 480s? My gut sorta says sell the 670 and get 2 480s for the other computer or do I say get another 670 do sli on the other computer and never worry about having enough to do what I want. There really isnt a question here its more of getting information on what I don't know and make a decision on what to do by my own opinion gathered from info from you guys. Thanks again
post #8 of 9
TTBOMK there's no inherent difference in visual quality between Fermi and Kepler. The extra memory on the Kepler might perhaps let you get away with 'forcing' a more memory-intensive form of anti-aliasing like Sparse-Grid or Transparency SSAA, but aside from that ... you should be looking at the same image. Maybe occasionally even a little better on the 2x480's since the extra umph might allow for a higher setting or two, as long as they don't cause memory usage to get too high.

Honestly, 480's are not 'cheap' cards. They were top of the line $500 cards just a couple years back, and at $200 they're a pretty crazy-good deal. Nothing else available can really touch their perf at that price. If you can tolerate the heat/noise, they're by far the best bang/buck cards available ATM.

I got rid of my very fast, heavily overclocked 470 SLI setup to grab a 670 mainly because that card came out at the beginning of the summer, and I live in Arizona. I'd lived through two summers of SLI Fermi cards already, and I wasn't looking forward to another one of them. My computer room got hot enough as it was.

If you want to see a fairly extensive comparison I did between my old and new setups (along with stuff like temps and power usage, etc), take a look at this thread. My OC'd 470's were actually faster than stock 480's, and not a whole lot slower than 480's at their top clocks. So this will give ya good idea of what you should expect afa 480 SLI vs a 670.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

TTBOMK there's no inherent difference in visual quality between Fermi and Kepler. The extra memory on the Kepler might perhaps let you get away with 'forcing' a more memory-intensive form of anti-aliasing like Sparse-Grid or Transparency SSAA, but aside from that ... you should be looking at the same image. Maybe occasionally even a little better on the 2x480's since the extra umph might allow for a higher setting or two, as long as they don't cause memory usage to get too high.
Honestly, 480's are not 'cheap' cards. They were top of the line $500 cards just a couple years back, and at $200 they're a pretty crazy-good deal. Nothing else available can really touch their perf at that price. If you can tolerate the heat/noise, they're by far the best bang/buck cards available ATM.
I got rid of my very fast, heavily overclocked 470 SLI setup to grab a 670 mainly because that card came out at the beginning of the summer, and I live in Arizona. I'd lived through two summers of SLI Fermi cards already, and I wasn't looking forward to another one of them. My computer room got hot enough as it was.
If you want to see a fairly extensive comparison I did between my old and new setups (along with stuff like temps and power usage, etc), take a look at this thread. My OC'd 470's were actually faster than stock 480's, and not a whole lot slower than 480's at their top clocks. So this will give ya good idea of what you should expect afa 480 SLI vs a 670.

evga has bstock gtx 480 for 169.00 at that price I see it as by far the best bang for the buck. everyone pretty much in agreement that 3 way sli 480 not worth 169.00 for me to do. Mainly because of the lack of memory correct? Is that what Ive learned here in a nut shell.

Also like to say a 480 gtx with lucid produced very competitive benchmarks. Which was something I cant do with the 670 maybe it was me but didn't seem compatible with it currently but I'm not sure I was doing it correctly or had the right version.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › gtx 480 gtx 670 4g Where the difference in overall performance I dont see the gain