Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Tablets › Google Nexus 10: 2560x1600, 300ppi, 10" PLS Display, Exynos 5250 (Cortex-A15), Android 4.2
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Google Nexus 10: 2560x1600, 300ppi, 10" PLS Display, Exynos 5250 (Cortex-A15), Android 4.2 - Page 11

post #101 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

That depends on the benchmark. GeekBench and the like, yes. But more real world tests like SunSpider, Octane, Kraken, and similar, etc., all carry some weight. Also there are graphics benchmarks which are important, and battery life benchmarks too -- the Nexus 10 is no slouch in either of those departments, but the iPad 4 does pull ahead.

show me a single iPad 4 that beats my browser benchmarks:



Just for reference the iPad 4 scores I found listed online are:
Sunspider: 834.7ms(lower is better)
Kraken: 19086.9ms(lower is better)
Octane: 1832 (higher is better)

So not only were my benchmarks better accross all three tests but my Kraken benchmark was almost twice as fast as an iPad 4. So like I said the nexus 10 clearly outperforms the iPad 4.

Also be careful when you say buy when reffering to iTunes content. You actually do not own any of that content but rather you buying a license to stream that content. That was the whole reason why Bruce Willis was going to take legal action against Apple. He realized that he could not legally include his iTunes library in his will.

Im done trying to convince you about the Retina display you seem to keep finding a way to miss what im saying about 1 pixel being turning into 4 identical pixels and how that does not increase clarity.
Edited by Holy Chicken - 1/1/13 at 7:15pm
post #102 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Chicken View Post

show me a single iPad 4 that beats my browser benchmarks:

Just for reference the iPad 4 scores I found listed online are:
Sunspider: 834.7ms(lower is better)
Kraken: 19086.9ms(lower is better)
Octane: 1832 (higher is better)

So not only were my benchmarks better accross all three tests but my Kraken benchmark was almost twice as fast as an iPad 4. So like I said the nexus 10 clearly outperforms the iPad 4.
Yep it does, and it should -- it has a more powerful processor. Though the stock Nexus 10 is much slower in SunSpider.
Quote:
Also be careful when you say buy when reffering to iTunes content. You actually do not own any of that content but rather you buying a license to stream that content. That was the whole reason why Bruce Willis was going to take legal action against Apple. He realized that he could not legally include his iTunes library in his will.
That's semantics. I paid for the rights to use the content. It's no different than buying a physical copy except that I'm not allowed to resell it.
Quote:
Im done trying to convince you about the Retina display you seem to keep finding a way to miss what im saying about 1 pixel being turning into 4 identical pixels and how that does not increase clarity.
I haven't missed anything, but you don't seem to be getting what I'm saying. I'm fully aware that for unsupported apps that the OS simply upscales it rather than rendering it at the higher resolution -- or as you say one pixel being quadrupled -- and no that doesn't increase clarity. But contrary to what you said earlier, it doesn't (necessarily) require "reworking the code."

In iOS you need only compile against iOS 4 and the app will be rendered at the higher resolution -- i.e., one pixel isn't being quadrupled anymore, it's taking full advantage of the display. Very simple and easy. All the developer needs to do is provide higher resolution assets for the app, and depending on how well the app is written they may or may not need to make any modifications to the code.

In Mac OS X (and that link you posted has to do with the Retina display on OS X, not iOS) it's more complicated and apps do need some work to get them supporting the Retina display.
post #103 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

Yep it does, and it should -- it has a more powerful processor. Though the stock Nexus 10 is much slower in SunSpider.
My nexus is at a stock clock speed and voltage. If you are using chrome which is the new stock browser on android 4.2 then yes the speed is slower. I also ran the benchmarks with my processor clocked at 1.4ghz to match the ipad 4 and my benchmarks barely dorpped and still smoked the iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

That's semantics. I paid for the rights to use the content. It's no different than buying a physical copy except that I'm not allowed to resell it.
Or since you said your family share an iTunes account if the owner of the account were to pass away all of your content would be lost leaving the rest of your family with nothing.
post #104 of 144
Thread Starter 
Conclusion: The Nexus 10 is much better than the iPad 4 in terms of specs.
post #105 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

Conclusion: The Nexus 10 is much better than the iPad 4 in terms of specs.

Do you mean application of those specs i.e. better performance? Because by looking at the posted specs of both devices it is clear the Nexus 10 has better specs.
post #106 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Chicken View Post

My nexus is at a stock clock speed and voltage. If you are using chrome which is the new stock browser on android 4.2 then yes the speed is slower. I also ran the benchmarks with my processor clocked at 1.4ghz to match the ipad 4 and my benchmarks barely dorpped and still smoked the iPad.
Quote:
I assumed you were at stock clock speed. As I said -- you have a much more powerful processor. The Cortex A15 is a very powerful architecture. The reason for your Nexus 10 winning at the same clock speed as the iPad 4 is because of the architecture of the processor -- as I said above, it's more powerful.
Or since you said your family share an iTunes account if the owner of the account were to pass away all of your content would be lost leaving the rest of your family with nothing.
Leaving your iTunes library to your relatives via a will is different to simply giving them the account. Even if Apple doesn't allow that, which I have a hard time believing, they have no way to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

Conclusion: The Nexus 10 is much better than the iPad 4 in terms of specs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Chicken View Post

Do you mean application of those specs i.e. better performance? Because by looking at the posted specs of both devices it is clear the Nexus 10 has better specs.
It has a more powerful processor, more RAM and a sharper display. The iPad 4 has more powerful graphics (substantially so if you factor in resolution), better battery life, and better contrast and colour accuracy.
post #107 of 144
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

Leaving your iTunes library to your relatives via a will is different to simply giving them the account. Even if Apple doesn't allow that, which I have a hard time believing, they have no way to know.
It has a more powerful processor, more RAM and a sharper display. The iPad 4 has more powerful graphics (substantially so if you factor in resolution), better battery life, and better contrast and colour accuracy.

The Samsung Nexus 10 has much better contrast and color accuracy from what I've seen.
post #108 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

The Samsung Nexus 10 has much better contrast and color accuracy from what I've seen.
The screen may look better (because of PLS) or not, but it definitely doesn't have higher contrast or colour accuracy than the iPad 4 -- according to Anandtech, anyway.. Though you may be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two's contrast in the real world, the colour accuracy would be noticeable.



(Reference: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/2 -- colour accuracy tests are also on this page.)
post #109 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

The screen may look better (because of PLS) or not, but it definitely doesn't have higher contrast or colour accuracy than the iPad 4 -- according to Anandtech, anyway.. Though you may be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two's contrast in the real world, the colour accuracy would be noticeable.


(Reference: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6472/ipad-4-late-2012-review/2 -- colour accuracy tests are also on this page.)

The issues with the Nexus 10's screen are all software related and will all be fixed. Considering Anandtech also posted browser benchmarks that showed the iPad 4 was better kind of discredit anything they have to say about the tablet because clearly the scores I posted earlier prove just how superior the power of the Nexus 10 is compared to the iPad 4. As for color accuracy of the iPad 4 most graphic designers would agree the the overall look of the screen may look nice but they are over saturated in a few areas.
post #110 of 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Chicken View Post

The issues with the Nexus 10's screen are all software related and will all be fixed.
What issues? I hope you're not suggesting that the lower colour accuracy and contrast are because of software.
Quote:
Considering Anandtech also posted browser benchmarks that showed the iPad 4 was better kind of discredit anything they have to say about the tablet because clearly the scores I posted earlier prove just how superior the power of the Nexus 10 is compared to the iPad 4.
Uh no it doesn't. You're running a custom ROM. Anandtech is running stock. Nice try but Anandtech's reviews are legit.
Quote:
As for color accuracy of the iPad 4 most graphic designers would agree the the overall look of the screen may look nice but they are over saturated in a few areas.
It's currently the best display on a tablet. If it's over saturated then all others are much worse. Did you even look at the charts above?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tablets
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Tablets › Google Nexus 10: 2560x1600, 300ppi, 10" PLS Display, Exynos 5250 (Cortex-A15), Android 4.2