Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Advice 2011 socket or 1155 socket
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Advice 2011 socket or 1155 socket

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
hi guys some advice here was wondering if it is worth going for the I7 3770k 1155 socket or the i7-3820 and upgrade to a bigger chip later . The rig in question going to be paired of with MSI R7970 O.C editions as this would be my first Extreme Intel build . My last one was a P3 5200 with 7300 Geforce . Any feed back on this would be helpful smile.gif
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEAX13 View Post

hi guys some advice here was wondering if it is worth going for the I7 3770k 1155 socket or the i7-3820 and upgrade to a bigger chip later . The rig in question going to be paired of with MSI R7970 O.C editions as this would be my first Extreme Intel build . My last one was a P3 5200 with 7300 Geforce . Any feed back on this would be helpful smile.gif

I say neither and wait for 1150 that will be out in 6 months
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Puft View Post

I say neither and wait for 1150 that will be out in 6 months

Helpful, really helpful.

Ok

Back to the original question, which one, as you're aware you have two options, the 1155 chipset will be cheaper short term and will support SLi or Xfire without issue. If you're planning on Tri-SLi then go with the 2011 chipset for the extra PCI-E lanes. It'll also give you a better upgrade path.

If you're not too concerned about upgrades in the future (2 - 3 years) then go with the 1155 chipset, if you are going to be upgrading to haswell-e then go with the 2011 chipset.

Comps
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post

Helpful, really helpful.
Ok
Back to the original question, which one, as you're aware you have two options, the 1155 chipset will be cheaper short term and will support SLi or Xfire without issue. If you're planning on Tri-SLi then go with the 2011 chipset for the extra PCI-E lanes. It'll also give you a better upgrade path.
If you're not too concerned about upgrades in the future (2 - 3 years) then go with the 1155 chipset, if you are going to be upgrading to haswell-e then go with the 2011 chipset.
Comps

Haswell E isn't going to be compatible with X79. All indications are pointing to a new socket and Chip set
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
Core I7 5960X
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core I7 5960X ASRock X99 OC Formula MSI GTX 970 Gaming MSI GTX 970 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G. Skill 16GB DDR4 2600 Sandisk Extreme II 240GB SSD Custom 480 Water Setup Windows 10 
PowerCase
AX1500I Corsair 900D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Meant Ivy-E, you sure they're changing the chipset on haswell-E?
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
only going to do dual crossfire 7970 1ghz editions suppose i can wait a while longer , for graphics wise i wont need to upgrade those for a good few years ram thats covered but i will get an I7 of some sort ,PCIE 3.0 isnt an issue for me
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEAX13 View Post

only going to do dual crossfire 7970 1ghz editions suppose i can wait a while longer , for graphics wise i wont need to upgrade those for a good few years ram thats covered but i will get an I7 of some sort ,PCIE 3.0 isnt an issue for me

Well if you're getting that card then yes, PCI-E 3.0 is an issue for you.

I'd personally stick with the 1155 chipset or if you want to wait an unknown time for haswell (meant to be q2 2013 but who knows) then that's cool biggrin.gif

Comps
post #8 of 9
I'd go the LGA2011 route with an i7 3820 and then when you feel that's not enough, you just upgrade your CPU to a 6core or even 8core if that comes and add some more RAM, that PC would live a long time with your 7970's.
post #9 of 9
Thread Starter 
already have the gpu's in a AMD based rig just feel its lacking when i see the scores and benchmarks or not functioning at all in crossfire mind you AMD have been kind to me by giving me the 8150 as a thank yo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Advice 2011 socket or 1155 socket