Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › What mobile gpu would be equal to a desktop 570?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What mobile gpu would be equal to a desktop 570? - Page 2

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post

thats too bad about the 7970 issues, seemed like really good power for the money, ill read up on it more.
so far ive just looked at sager and alienware

are you looking for a desktop replacement that will rarely be moved? or more on the go power?

Also, for alienware configure it how you want, then configure the closest sager competitor on XoticPC... call em up and haggle... do some research beforehand to find some promotions or discounts... they will also discount warranties and stuff too.

I would recommend the m18x if you need a portable desktop that wont be carried around much... I use mine to move around the house, and occasionally out of the house on a road trip, cant say I would travel with it regularly, and I would probably only fly with it if i was going to be gone for a long time.

The m18x is the only metal bodied notebook they make now, the m17x is plastic now, some people say the quality isnt near what the m18x is either. I havent seen one and can't comment on it personally though.

If you are getting this to supplement your desktop, something with a gtx 660m in it would probably suffice, they're pretty powerful cards, and should suite your on the go gaming needs very well... I always had my gaming desktop, then i had a lower end dedicated card for gaming, went from a 9700m in a toshiba, to a 260m in an asus, to a gtx 560m in a Sager, to an m18x with crossfire 6990s.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

are you looking for a desktop replacement that will rarely be moved? or more on the go power?
Also, for alienware configure it how you want, then configure the closest sager competitor on XoticPC... call em up and haggle... do some research beforehand to find some promotions or discounts... they will also discount warranties and stuff too.
I would recommend the m18x if you need a portable desktop that wont be carried around much... I use mine to move around the house, and occasionally out of the house on a road trip, cant say I would travel with it regularly, and I would probably only fly with it if i was going to be gone for a long time.
The m18x is the only metal bodied notebook they make now, the m17x is plastic now, some people say the quality isnt near what the m18x is either. I havent seen one and can't comment on it personally though.
If you are getting this to supplement your desktop, something with a gtx 660m in it would probably suffice, they're pretty powerful cards, and should suite your on the go gaming needs very well... I always had my gaming desktop, then i had a lower end dedicated card for gaming, went from a 9700m in a toshiba, to a 260m in an asus, to a gtx 560m in a Sager, to an m18x with crossfire 6990s.

it will rarely be moved, and when it does it will have an a/c outlet nearby biggrin.gif

it will be replacing my desktop, i dont move around often but it would be nice to have the portability when i want it. (ie lan parties)
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
Server/Gaming Rig
(22 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel E5-2670 intel E5-2670 Asus Z9PE-D8 WS Visiontek R9 390 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x4GB DDR3 1333 ECC Registered Toshiba 5TB X300 Seagate 4TB HGST 4TB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Sandisk 240GB Sandisk 480GB Samsung 830 128GB Toshiba 6TB X300 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Toshiba 5TB X300 Toshiba 5TB X300 WH16NS40 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell S1715H Dell u2311h blackwidow ultimate Kingwin Lazer platinum 1000w 
CaseMouse
Corsair 800D Deathadder Chroma 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindsay View Post

it will rarely be moved, and when it does it will have an a/c outlet nearby biggrin.gif
it will be replacing my desktop, i dont move around often but it would be nice to have the portability when i want it. (ie lan parties)

Well then, if you have the budget (and the muscle) the m18x is an excellent choice for a DTR, Would definitely get the config and an extended warranty though... makes all the difference after the 1st year...

That's not to say the sager 17" is a pile of junk though. I've read good reviews about it... Ive owned sagers lower end NP8130 before, and it was built well, and if the dual gpu sager was available when buying my new DTR, I would have taken a hard look at it.

But at that level and cost, I want the solid feel of the m18x and its metal chassis.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 39
You will get much better replies if you start this thread in the laptop/netbook section of the forums. The 7970M is an amazing graphics card as I have it in my Alienware laptop. The only problem is that Enduro comes automatically and is unable to be turned off through Sager. At this time Alienware is the only brand that allows you to turn off Enduro although I have heard that Sager/Clevo is working on a way to get this issue fixed.

The 7970M is much cheaper than the 680M. I was able to talk Alienware down to 1.5k for the 17.3" 1080 FULLHD 7970M.
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-960 Bloodfield 3.2GHz MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel ATX MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium Logitech G510 Antec 700W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-960 Bloodfield 3.2GHz MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel ATX MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium Logitech G510 Antec 700W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2uHorde View Post

You will get much better replies if you start this thread in the laptop/netbook section of the forums. The 7970M is an amazing graphics card as I have it in my Alienware laptop. The only problem is that Enduro comes automatically and is unable to be turned off through Sager. At this time Alienware is the only brand that allows you to turn off Enduro although I have heard that Sager/Clevo is working on a way to get this issue fixed.
The 7970M is much cheaper than the 680M. I was able to talk Alienware down to 1.5k for the 17.3" 1080 FULLHD 7970M.

yeah you will definitely get more info in the mobile section for picking out the notebook, and probably performance levels, I didnt even realize this wasnt in the mobile section for quite a bit of the conversation. LOL
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 39
Tom's hardware says the GTX 570 is a tier 7 GPU, with other tier 7 GPUs being the GTX 295, 480, 570, 660, 680M, HD 4870 X2, 6970, 7850 and 7970M.

So, in terms of mobile, GTX 680M and HD 7970M.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Edit: While these mobile GPUs are about the same processing power as a GTX 570, it should be noted that they may be faster depending on your screen resolution. If your desktop is 1920 x 1080 and your laptop is 1366 x 768 or 1600 x 900, then your mobile part will have less pixels to push and therefore, perform faster. So, if you want the same performance, you might be able to take a step down in terms of raw power if you have less pixels
Edited by ./Cy4n1d3\. - 10/31/12 at 12:30pm
post #17 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ./Cy4n1d3\. View Post

Tom's hardware says the GTX 570 is a tier 7 GPU, with other tier 7 GPUs being the GTX 295, 480, 570, 660, 680M, HD 4870 X2, 6970, 7850 and 7970M.
So, in terms of mobile, GTX 680M and HD 7970M.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

it does say that but from the research I did when these cards first came out, it appeared to be much closer to a GTX580 level benchmark wise... but I could be wrong, as i have said, its been a while since I looked through all of this stuff.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by identitycrisis View Post

it does say that but from the research I did when these cards first came out, it appeared to be much closer to a GTX580 level benchmark wise... but I could be wrong, as i have said, its been a while since I looked through all of this stuff.

And it depends on what power setting you have your laptop at (if power saving or balanced, it will probably perform a bit slower), and whether you are talking about vs a overclocked GTX 570 (I overclock my GTX 570 at least 12%, from 712 core to 825).
post #19 of 39
IMGLIDINHERE helped me a lot when I was chosing my laptop. If you create this in the laptop section or just send him a tell he will gladly help you with this decision. I am very happy with my Alienware laptop.
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-960 Bloodfield 3.2GHz MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel ATX MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium Logitech G510 Antec 700W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
First Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-960 Bloodfield 3.2GHz MSI X58 Pro-E LGA 1366 Intel ATX MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG Spinpoint 1TB 7200 RPM Windows 7 Home Premium Logitech G510 Antec 700W 
Case
Antec 902 V3 ATX Mid Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ./Cy4n1d3\. View Post

And it depends on what power setting you have your laptop at (if power saving or balanced, it will probably perform a bit slower), and whether you are talking about vs a overclocked GTX 570 (I overclock my GTX 570 at least 12%, from 712 core to 825).

Yeah Sort of, it should always be on high performance. And When comparing the benchmarks i generally like to look at stock, it eliminates variations in clock speeds. I looked it up, it might be that 680m is closer to a 570... i looked at some 3dmark results compared to notebookcheck.net's gpu ranking.

Also for the resolution, that does make sense, but eventually it will become more cpu bound (at the 1366x768 resolution i'm sure would be the most CPU bound). The majority of these laptops come with 1080p displays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi2uHorde View Post

IMGLIDINHERE helped me a lot when I was chosing my laptop. If you create this in the laptop section or just send him a tell he will gladly help you with this decision. I am very happy with my Alienware laptop.

Yeah, he knows his stuff, definitely better than I do.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3630QM GTX 680m SLi 16gb ddr3 1866mhz 256gb Samsung SSD 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256gb Samsung SSD 750gb WD Black DVD/RW/BluRay notepal U3 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 18.4" 1080p 330watt power Brick Alienware M18x-R2 Chassis Black 
Mouse
Logitech G500 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i&-2720QM HP GM67 Quadro 1000M Generic 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
7200RPM CD/DVD-RW Stock Win 7 Professional X64 
MonitorCase
15.6" 1920x1080 & 22" Dell External 1680x1050 HP Elitebook 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › What mobile gpu would be equal to a desktop 570?