Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SATA II vs SATA III
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SATA II vs SATA III

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I'm building a new computer and want to reduce my data bottleneck. Since I can't find any motherboards with 4x SATAIII ports on it, I want to know if the better performance would come from 2x SATAIII SSD in RAID0 or from 4x SATAII SSD in RAID0. Before everyone jumps up and down to say how unstable it is, I'll be running an internal backup to a 1TB H.D.D.

Also, and I know all the purists out there will say there's no difference, but is there any difference between a SATAII and a SATAIII drive running on a SATAII port? I.E. Will I see any performance increase using 4x SATAIII drives in a SATAII port RAID?

Thanks in advance guys.
Edited by ThePazza - 10/31/12 at 10:32pm
post #2 of 6

You're going to see a pretty big bottleneck on SATA II with any modern SSD. I've seen a couple of 1155 boards with 6 SATA III ports. Btw, you likely won't see much of a real world difference putting SSD's in Raid 0 unless you do heavy database work or something else that requires high I/O performance.

My Baby
(0 items)
  
Reply
My Baby
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstacy View Post

Btw, you likely won't see much of a real world difference putting SSD's in Raid 0 unless you do heavy database work or something else that requires high I/O performance.
That is odd. I have 2 Samsung 830 in Raid 0 and I can install software faster than using 1 Samsung 830 plus my load time are faster too on games and software.
But I will still say stick with 1 SSD. I can lose a alot of time if and when my SSD fails.

Edit
2 SSD II in raid 0 is about the same in perfromance as 1 SSD III.
So far I had 1 SSD II, 2 SSD II in Raid 0, 1 SSD III and 2 SSD III in raid 0.
Edited by dixson01974 - 10/31/12 at 11:04pm
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
HTPC
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
AMD A-3870K AsRock A75 Pro (FM1) HyperX DDR3 1866 8 GB SAMSUNG 830 256gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SAMSUNG EcoGreen F4 2TB Plextor Black Blu-ray Burner Phenom II X4 stock Cooler Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
LG M2762D-PM Glossy Black 27" 5ms (1920x1080) Antec HG 900 Gerenic ATX Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePazza View Post

I'm building a new computer and want to reduce my data bottleneck. Since I can't find any motherboards with 4x SATAIII ports on it, I want to know if the better performance would come from 2x SATAIII SSD in RAID0 or from 4x SATAII SSD in RAID0. Before everyone jumps up and down to say how unstable it is, I'll be running an internal backup to a 1TB H.D.D.
Also, and I know all the purists out there will say there's no difference, but is there any difference between a SATAII and a SATAIII drive running on a SATAII port? I.E. Will I see any performance increase using 4x SATAIII drives in a SATAII port RAID?
Thanks in advance guys.

My guess is performance of 4x SATAII RAID-0 and 2x SATAIII RAID-0 will be more or less the same.

By the way, here's a motherboard with 10x SATAIII ports (2x Intel X70, 8x LSI SAS2308):
ASRock X79 Extreme11

Personally, if I needed 4-way SATAIII RAID-0, I'd just get a Z77 motherboard and a separate RAID card.
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
Garnet
(11 items)
 
Lucifiel
(13 items)
 
Metatron
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5-3450S Intel DQ77KB Corsair 16GB DDR3 1600 SO-DIMM Samsung 830 256GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Crucial m4 256 mSATA Samsung 840 500GB Intel BXHTS1155LP Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
KeyboardCaseMouse
Logitech K800 Lian Li PC-Q05B Logitech M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 EVGA GTX 460 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x4GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Silverstone ST45SF 450W Silverstone Sugo SG05B 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7-860 Biostar TH55B HD MSI GT 240 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 2x2GB DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Intel X25-M 120GB Windows 7 Ultimate x86 Samsung 22" Antec EA-380D 
Case
Rosewill R101-P-BK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rui-no-onna View Post

My guess is performance of 4x SATAII RAID-0 and 2x SATAIII RAID-0 will be more or less the same.
By the way, here's a motherboard with 10x SATAIII ports (2x Intel X70, 8x LSI SAS2308):
ASRock X79 Extreme11
Personally, if I needed 4-way SATAIII RAID-0, I'd just get a Z77 motherboard and a separate RAID card.
Cheers for the product advise, but my budget wont stretch that far. Bit pricey for a mobo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixson01974 View Post

That is odd. I have 2 Samsung 830 in Raid 0 and I can install software faster than using 1 Samsung 830 plus my load time are faster too on games and software.
But I will still say stick with 1 SSD. I can lose a alot of time if and when my SSD fails.
Edit
2 SSD II in raid 0 is about the same in perfromance as 1 SSD III.
So far I had 1 SSD II, 2 SSD II in Raid 0, 1 SSD III and 2 SSD III in raid 0.
That's why I'm running the internal backup to the standard HDD. If I'm going to make a speed machine, I'll go all out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstacy View Post

You're going to see a pretty big bottleneck on SATA II with any modern SSD. I've seen a couple of 1155 boards with 6 SATA III ports. Btw, you likely won't see much of a real world difference putting SSD's in Raid 0 unless you do heavy database work or something else that requires high I/O performance.
Thanks, but I'm looking to build a 2011 socket machine. And you'd be surprised how easily I can max out data transfer on a single SSD, so I'm going to give a RAID a try and see. Kinda in the nature of an experiment.

And thanks for all the advise, but I ended up getting screwed over with my tax return, so plans are on hold for the time being.
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
So I managed to finally build my system. Specs are kinda different to what I was going with before, but the RAID went ahead. 4 x 120GB Samsung Evo 840's in RAID0. I ran CrystalDisk Mark and grabbed a few screenshots.

This is the initial run just after my O.S. was installed.



This is with a program called SpeedCache installed, set to use up to 6GB of RAM.



I think the results speak for themselves. Even without the caching installed, the speed of the HDD was incredible.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SATA II vs SATA III