This is surprising, and quite disappointing news.
Originally Posted by tout
Good, I'm tired of buying a CPU and then 6 months later they make new one 5-10% better than that. Make my upgrades worth it or stop wasting my time. This goes for all technology makers. They need to stop cluttering the market with a slew marginally better products and make something worth while for a change.
You don't have
to purchase a new CPU every new generation. In fact, the more that technology manufacturers update their products, ceteris paribus, the more the consumer benefits:
- Say in 2011 you purchase a processor.
- Each new generation earns 8-10% more power.
- They release a new processor 8% faster 6 months later and a newer processor 10% faster after 12 months
- You purchase a new processor 12 months after your Initial purchase of 2011
- You now have a processor that is 18.8% faster than your processor of 2011
- If the company had only released 1 new generation in that time period, your new processor in 2012 would only be 8% faster.
And of course, one can manipulate the values of time and the performance gain. Either way, the more frequently that products are updated, the more you will benefit.Edited by SkillzKillz - 11/5/12 at 12:22am