Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix ›  Steam for Linux now in Beta sweet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Steam for Linux now in Beta sweet - Page 16

post #151 of 224
more games everyday
post #152 of 224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl1357 View Post

more games everyday

speaking of we can buy Postal 2 now im getting that tomorrow
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #153 of 224
Games that NEED to be ported over for Linux support to accelerate. (I don't play all these games)

  • World of Warcraft (I'm a semi hater, but hey it's a big deal)
  • Arma II / Day Z
  • Starcraft 2
  • ALL of the source games
  • League of Legends

These should push the majority of developers into linux support.
The Cube
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6400 (stock) Asus B150 Pro Gaming EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 16GB DDR4 HyperX 2400MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX200 500GB CM Hyper TX3 Passive W10PRO (Crap Removed) Benq X3501 35" 144Hz Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Master Keys Pro S EVGA G2 500W Lian Li Q33B ITX Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Cheapy ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
The Cube
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6400 (stock) Asus B150 Pro Gaming EVGA GTX 1060 6GB 16GB DDR4 HyperX 2400MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial MX200 500GB CM Hyper TX3 Passive W10PRO (Crap Removed) Benq X3501 35" 144Hz Ultrawide 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
CM Master Keys Pro S EVGA G2 500W Lian Li Q33B ITX Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Cheapy ATH-AD500X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #154 of 224
I have two separate builds ATM

one is:

A10-5800k APU
8GB 1600MHZ mem
64GB SSD
Kubuntu 64bit

one is:

1055T
1 GB Saphire 5850
4GB 1600mhz mem
500gb HDD
Mint 14 KDE 64bit


Both have had 12.11 drivers and the previous 12.08, they now both had a scrub and a fresh install of the latest 13.1 driver

All 32bit dependencies are installed. Steam is upto date. Open GL is upto date. I have read up on all the libs needed. The only difference from the beta test specs is the fact im running 64bit but again i have 32bit libs.

Performance on Killing floor is woefull ! It has been poor through every thing i have tried on both systems, no matter the resolution or settings, vsync or not etc...
Team fortress 2 performance is better but stops and lags really bad every few seconds also. On windows the 5850 both games are easily 60FPS solid.

outside of steam i have Desura game manager and all games on that run ok (but id expect a lot more still).. admitidley its only games like Xonotic but i have all the settings cranked upto max and even things that slowed down my windows nexius/xonotic install with x4 AA @ 1080p, it is still occasionally hampered on large areas for some reason but the windows version isnt?

Anyone know what the problem is? Are AMD's drivers truley that bad? I have heard people posting they have no problems but my A10 is a 7 series gpu and the other pc is a 5 series.

Kubuntu isnt more than a cats hair away from being ubuntu which is the beta test platform. If it is the AMD drivers then i can confirm for me at least the 13.1 are no better and that means il have to wait even more months for any improvement?

also as an aside if im playing some music in amorak or clementime for example when KF loads it corrupts the sound momentairly? surley they shouldnt intefere with each other?

it sucks at the moment as my next laptop i want an AMD card and i usually run linux on laptops so il have to pay hundreds more just for better drivers with NVIDIA mad.gif


Thanks
Edited by Pip Boy - 1/19/13 at 8:54am
post #155 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

I have two separate builds ATM

one is:

A10-5800k APU
8GB 1600MHZ mem
64GB SSD
Kubuntu 64bit

one is:

1055T
1 GB Saphire 5850
4GB 1600mhz mem
500gb HDD
Mint 14 KDE 64bit


Both have had 12.11 drivers and the previous 12.08, they now both had a scrub and a fresh install of the latest 13.1 driver

All 32bit dependencies are installed. Steam is upto date. Open GL is upto date. I have read up on all the libs needed. The only difference from the beta test specs is the fact im running 64bit but again i have 32bit libs.

Performance on Killing floor is woefull ! It has been poor through every thing i have tried on both systems, no matter the resolution or settings, vsync or not etc...
Team fortress 2 performance is better but stops and lags really bad every few seconds also. On windows the 5850 both games are easily 60FPS solid.

outside of steam i have Desura game manager and all games on that run ok (but id expect a lot more still).. admitidley its only games like Xonotic but i have all the settings cranked upto max and even things that slowed down my windows nexius/xonotic install with x4 AA @ 1080p, it is still occasionally hampered on large areas for some reason but the windows version isnt?

Anyone know what the problem is? Are AMD's drivers truley that bad? I have heard people posting they have no problems but my A10 is a 7 series gpu and the other pc is a 5 series.

Kubuntu isnt more than a cats hair away from being ubuntu which is the beta test platform. If it is the AMD drivers then i can confirm for me at least the 13.1 are no better and that means il have to wait even more months for any improvement?

also as an aside if im playing some music in amorak or clementime for example when KF loads it corrupts the sound momentairly? surley they shouldnt intefere with each other?

it sucks at the moment as my next laptop i want an AMD card and i usually run linux on laptops so il have to pay hundreds more just for better drivers with NVIDIA mad.gif


Thanks

Nvidia or AMD doesn't matter at this point for gaming performance in Steam. Steam itself is the problem as it's only a beta. At best I expect performance to be on par in 1 year. The other thing is if you use a DE with any compositing such as Unity, Gnome, KDE, and XFCE (IIRC) then the compositing will hurt frame rates significantly. Even without compositing (IE turning it off or using LXDE or openbox for example) my frame rates are both 10 or more less than in windows and I have your similar lag/stop issues in TF2. Another thing is I also have extremely long loading times even on an SSD and constant screen tearing with or without Vsync.

As for your aside...if you have pulseaudio then that corruption is the norm for certain programs...IE for me when Skype or VLC first try to use pulseaudio they both emit large amounts of static for a few seconds. Sound and gaming setups in Linux are not as easy as they should be but hopefully that will change.

In short...if you want to game either use another DE that doesn't have compositing or turn of compositing as they still haven't fixed why Steam and Games don't follow the "disable compositing for fullscreen programs" setting in KDE.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #156 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Nvidia or AMD doesn't matter at this point for gaming performance in Steam. Steam itself is the problem as it's only a beta. At best I expect performance to be on par in 1 year. The other thing is if you use a DE with any compositing such as Unity, Gnome, KDE, and XFCE (IIRC) then the compositing will hurt frame rates significantly. Even without compositing (IE turning it off or using LXDE or openbox for example) my frame rates are both 10 or more less than in windows and I have your similar lag/stop issues in TF2. Another thing is I also have extremely long loading times even on an SSD and constant screen tearing with or without Vsync.

As for your aside...if you have pulseaudio then that corruption is the norm for certain programs...IE for me when Skype or VLC first try to use pulseaudio they both emit large amounts of static for a few seconds. Sound and gaming setups in Linux are not as easy as they should be but hopefully that will change.

In short...if you want to game either use another DE that doesn't have compositing or turn of compositing as they still haven't fixed why Steam and Games don't follow the "disable compositing for fullscreen programs" setting in KDE.

Game performance should be driver based. Steam might cause slowness but not much, at least it shouldnt heavily drag a game down. You also might face games not being optimized for linux, which i expect to be more the culprit. One can also get many of the indie games outside of steam to test, if similar results ensue id bet drivers or the system has a hiccup (software).
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8350 4.6GHz@1.44v GA-990FXA-UD3 R4.0 HD 7950 (1100/1450) 8G Muskin DDR3 1866@8CLS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1TB WD LiteOn DVD-RW DL Linux/Windows 19" Phillips TV 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ 600W Generic Junk Logitech MX400 Generic Junk 
Audio
SBL 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #157 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbagofdoom View Post

Games that NEED to be ported over for Linux support to accelerate. (I don't play all these games)

  • World of Warcraft (I'm a semi hater, but hey it's a big deal)
  • Arma II / Day Z
  • Starcraft 2
  • ALL of the source games
  • League of Legends

These should push the majority of developers into linux support.

Where is the BF Love? Who knows maybe EA will hit Linux. I mean they are greedy to hell so they will try anything.
post #158 of 224
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Where is the BF Love? Who knows maybe EA will hit Linux. I mean they are greedy to hell so they will try anything.

would be nice but cant see this happen tell all source game come out whitch i hope is soon i want to play left 4 dead on linux
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
Vera
(14 items)
 
the brat
(7 items)
 
oldman
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790 4.0@4.4 GIGABYTE GA-B85M-DS3H-A 1060 nvdia 32 gb ddr3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128gb ssd and 250gb ssd water cooling Pepper Mint OS 42 vizio lcd tv 
Power
1200 watt 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel® Celeron(R) CPU G530 @ 2.40GHz × 2  NVIDIA 950 8 gb 200 gb ssd 
CoolingOSMonitor
stock manjaro linux 42 vizio lcd tv 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core 2 Duo 8400 MSI GeForce GTX 1050 4 gb 350 gb 
CoolingOS
stock untangle 
  hide details  
Reply
post #159 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie1337 View Post

Nvidia or AMD doesn't matter at this point for gaming performance in Steam. Steam itself is the problem as it's only a beta. At best I expect performance to be on par in 1 year. The other thing is if you use a DE with any compositing such as Unity, Gnome, KDE, and XFCE (IIRC) then the compositing will hurt frame rates significantly. Even without compositing (IE turning it off or using LXDE or openbox for example) my frame rates are both 10 or more less than in windows and I have your similar lag/stop issues in TF2. Another thing is I also have extremely long loading times even on an SSD and constant screen tearing with or without Vsync.

As for your aside...if you have pulseaudio then that corruption is the norm for certain programs...IE for me when Skype or VLC first try to use pulseaudio they both emit large amounts of static for a few seconds. Sound and gaming setups in Linux are not as easy as they should be but hopefully that will change.

In short...if you want to game either use another DE that doesn't have compositing or turn of compositing as they still haven't fixed why Steam and Games don't follow the "disable compositing for fullscreen programs" setting in KDE.

thanks for the reply. I guess il wait im just worried if i buy a windows 8 laptop then it wont be able to dual boot with linux for one.

as regards to the audio i have seen this on many platforms / hardware the audio quality destroys windows for some reason? even on pc speakers i can tell the difference (although i also have some decent hi-fi to test with also) its so clear and full range.
post #160 of 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by phill1978 View Post

thanks for the reply. I guess il wait im just worried if i buy a windows 8 laptop then it wont be able to dual boot with linux for one.

as regards to the audio i have seen this on many platforms / hardware the audio quality destroys windows for some reason? even on pc speakers i can tell the difference (although i also have some decent hi-fi to test with also) its so clear and full range.

Why wouldn't you be able to dual boot? UEFI/whatever secure boot crap they have shouldn't be a problem anymore.

I guess it's drivers that are the issue...I've used Nvidia 304 and 310 and both were abysmal for gaming.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Linux, Unix ›  Steam for Linux now in Beta sweet