Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [YouTube] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[YouTube] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era - Page 10

post #91 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekroturkey View Post

So tired of people complaining about this, especially when it's coming from someone who was (or still is) an FFXI fan. You realize that FFXI was an Everquest rip-off, right? In fact, Everquest was the inspiration for FFXI when Hironobu Sakaguchi pitched the idea of an online FF game to Square. FFXI copied the formula of the most popular MMO out at its time (Everquest) and now FFXIV is copying the formula of the most popular MMO out right now (Warcraft). Nothing wrong with that, especially since FFXI still turned out to be a fantastic game even though it was just a clone.
People are letting their disdain for Warcraft impede their ability to look at things objectively and fairly. To criticize FFXIV for being a Warcraft clone, but to then ignore the fact that FFXI was an Everquest clone is hypocritical.


I also loved everquest is there something wrong with that also? and my argument had nothing to do with "copying games" as a matter of fact I even said id love it if they copy elements from ff11 A lot of people aside from em would love anything within this. i am on board with anything that resembled mmorpg of the past and absolutely minimal of the crap fest we have today. Hand me down/minimal effort/solo mmorpg/endgameonly/etc/etc. Se what happened to SWTOR by the way they tried to copy WoW also and look what happened. SE was best at what it used to do in creativity but trying to "standardize" their product will lead them to failure.

Id still keep what i said and wish they stay far away from it, hey guess what also COD is mainstream should SE also copy elements from COD to appeal the masses who only play for short time or attention spam is short as hell. WoW is old school already on top of that if anything they need to change the standard themselves and get creative.

P.S- I am also tired of people wanting another WoW clone after so many of the same turd fest have been released trying to make profit instead of making good games.
post #92 of 121
The thing that really bugged me was the server wide battles over NM spawns. Are their instances in this game? If they copy ANYTHING from WoW, please be instances for item drops.

Please have instances.

Hell, I stopped playing FFXI due to the "STILL" heavy competition in Abyssea for KI NM's and other things.
post #93 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekroturkey View Post

So tired of people complaining about this, especially when it's coming from someone who was (or still is) an FFXI fan. You realize that FFXI was an Everquest rip-off, right? In fact, Everquest was the inspiration for FFXI when Hironobu Sakaguchi pitched the idea of an online FF game to Square. FFXI copied the formula of the most popular MMO out at its time (Everquest) and now FFXIV is copying the formula of the most popular MMO out right now (Warcraft). Nothing wrong with that, especially since FFXI still turned out to be a fantastic game even though it was just a clone.
People are letting their disdain for Warcraft impede their ability to look at things objectively and fairly. To criticize FFXIV for being a Warcraft clone, but to then ignore the fact that FFXI was an Everquest clone is hypocritical.

I know XI took a lot from everquest, i just really dont see the similarities of WoW in 14, unless those similarities will come out in 2.0 ?
Air 540
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.8ghz MSI z77 MPower  MSI GTX 780 Lightning Sli 8GB Corsair Vengeance White  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB NZXT Havik 140 W7-Home Edition x64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.5@ 1920x1080 120hz Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlit Corsair AX 750 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700  GIGABYTE GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Gaming Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Air 540
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570k @4.8ghz MSI z77 MPower  MSI GTX 780 Lightning Sli 8GB Corsair Vengeance White  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series 120GB WD Caviar Black 1TB NZXT Havik 140 W7-Home Edition x64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.5@ 1920x1080 120hz Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlit Corsair AX 750 Corsair Air 540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G700  GIGABYTE GP-MP8000 Extreme Accuracy Gaming Pad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 121
I think part of the problem is trying so hard to NOT be WoW that new games are leaving out very important and useful features simply because people may identify that,"Oh, WoW had something like this..." It's just like South Parks with "The Simpsons did it!". Who cares! If it works, use it!

I would 100% say that any new and current MMO should feature instancing as a gameplay essential. It allows diversity between situations and a greater chance for world events or raid events to be beneficial to a larger group of people. Some MMOs do benefit from not instancing, but under unique circumstances and not simply because they didn't want a piece of WoW. EVE Online would be one example, as I don't believe they use instancing... but I could be wrong, I haven't played in a LONG time.

FFXIV just fell apart in a lot of places that simply just didn't fit right or were poorly put together. I played at release and beta and there was a weird learning curve with the UI and lack of real guidance on how to progress. I just sort of ran around and figured it out. The graphics were good and the story was ok... until the story just stopped basically after the 'prologue', and from there it was mindless grinding and I stopped. I still play WoW now and then, maybe 4-5 hours a week, but REALLY hope this game shines and comes back to life. We need a real alternative to WoW. The competition would drive both to improve themselves.
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
Malice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68-V GEN3 Gigabyte 7950 Windforce 3 G Skill Ripjaw X 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force Series 3 SSD 240GB Samsung 500gb HDD  Samsung 300gb HDD Seagate 500gb HDD 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 1TB HDD LG DVD Super-Multi Zalman CNPS9900MAX-B CPU cooler Windows 7 64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VH236H 23" HD Saitek Eclipse I Backlit - Blue Cooler Master Silent Pro 800W Gold Cooler Master HAF932 Advanced 
MouseAudio
Roccat Kone+ Razer Carcharias 
  hide details  
Reply
post #95 of 121
Now THAT is how i remember a final fantasy game being.
Silver bullet
(16 items)
 
Outatime
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 6700k Asrock Extreme 4 Evga GTX1080 Corsair Vengenance 32g kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128g Kingston ssd 500g Samsung ssd 1T WD hdd custom watercooled 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W10 64 Philips 4065uc Logitech G710+ xfx 750 pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Logitech G502 Corsair Mat  AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
Silver bullet
(16 items)
 
Outatime
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel i7 6700k Asrock Extreme 4 Evga GTX1080 Corsair Vengenance 32g kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128g Kingston ssd 500g Samsung ssd 1T WD hdd custom watercooled 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W10 64 Philips 4065uc Logitech G710+ xfx 750 pro 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Logitech G502 Corsair Mat  AKG K7XX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

i am on board with anything that resembled mmorpg of the past and absolutely minimal of the crap fest we have today.

This is all I'm hearing from you:

"I have no problem if FFXIV copies elements from another MMO, as long as it's not Warcraft."

Again, you're letting your own personal bias and disdain for Warcraft impede your ability to judge things objectively and fairly. You're being completely hypocritical when you say you want FFXIV to copy FFXI or Everquest, but not Warcraft. The fact of the matter, which you seem to be ignoring, is that FFXI copied the formula of the most popular MMO out at its time (Everquest) just as FFXIV is copying the formula of the most popular MMO out right now (Warcraft). It's the same exact situation, no different whatsoever. However, you seem to think that it's acceptable for FFXI to be an Everquest clone, but that it's not acceptable for FFXIV to be a Warcraft clone. Double standards much?

You complain about how you want FFXIV to "change the standards" of MMO gaming and how you think Square should "be creative," yet in the same breath you say you want FFXIV to be more like FFXI. This is a completely redundant argument; Square never attempted to "change the standards" with FFXI, they just turned it into a clone of the most popular MMO out at the time, like they're doing now with FFXIV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

Se what happened to SWTOR by the way they tried to copy WoW also and look what happened.

TOR is failing because it's a broken and buggy mess that churns out content at the speed of a snail due to the excessive amount of voice acting in the game, which subsequently is where the majority of their $200 million budget went. Instead of utilizing their budget more efficiently to improve the gameplay aspects of their MMO, they wasted it all on voice acting for every NPC in the game. Inexperience and poor management are to blame for TOR's failures, being a Warcraft clone has nothing to do with it. In fact, most critics praised TOR for refining parts of the Warcraft formula.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAlkaiser View Post

P.S- I am also tired of people wanting another WoW clone after so many of the same turd fest have been released trying to make profit instead of making good games.

P.S. I merely pointed out the objective facts as they are, which you seem to be in denial about. I never said I "wanted" a Warcraft clone, I'm just saying that you shouldn't bash FFXIV for being a Warcraft clone when FFXI was just an Everquest clone, yet FFXI still turned out to be a successful game.

Although considering you're the type of person that thinks Abyssea "ruined" FFXI, I'm sure that everything I just typed will fall on deaf ears. You'll continue to ignorantly float around in that little nostalgic bandwagon bubble of yours where you think FFXI circa 2004-2005 was the best thing ever, and that Warcraft is the devil. You won't look at things objectively, you won't judge things fairly, and you'll continue to hate on anything that is even remotely similar to Warcraft because of your own personal bias and disdain for that game, and nothing anybody says will ever change your mind. You'll just go around watching videos on Youtube of like-minded individuals saying the same things you're saying now so you can continue to stroke your own ego and validate your own insecure feelings. thumb.gif
PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5 ASUS Maximus IV EX MSI Lightning 580 SLI 2x4GB 1600 CAS8 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
M4 64GB + WD 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair AX1200 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5 ASUS Maximus IV EX MSI Lightning 580 SLI 2x4GB 1600 CAS8 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
M4 64GB + WD 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair AX1200 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #97 of 121
FFXI was actually pretty annoying pre-abyssea if you didn't have a huge LS. Or have alot of Japanese friends. Or both.
post #98 of 121
I don't care what they copy from what games, as long as what they do works. FFXIV copied things it didn't need and didn't improve on things that it drastically needed improvement in. You would think after FFXI they would learn to make a UI/controls that were fluid and didn't make you want to break your screen. But I guess a repeatable quest system that gives you things for free is more important.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybeans69 View Post

They need to launch more titles like Last Remannt mad.gif PC jrpg's been dead quiet for a while now and SE is only company that might brighten my day.

I am playing currently playing through this game. The story is great, the turn by turn, I have to sit like 4 feet away from my monitor to not get confused with the speed of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post

The thing that really bugged me was the server wide battles over NM spawns. Are their instances in this game? If they copy ANYTHING from WoW, please be instances for item drops.
Please have instances.
Hell, I stopped playing FFXI due to the "STILL" heavy competition in Abyssea for KI NM's and other things.

Instances with drops, have been in xiv for a long time now. Since the NM were first started, which was months after the original release.
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
Waiting
(16 items)
 
Hers
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k asrock etreme4 evga 670 g.skill 4x4 cl9 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
c4 128gb seagate 2tb oem single loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
windows 7 64bit ultimate planar px2710mw model m thermaltake toughpower platinum 1275w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
nzxt h2 logitech g400 steel series kenwood ka-7100/ b&w 303 or 600s3/ bic f12 and ... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3930k asus p9x79 zotac amp! gtx 580 4x2gb corsair cl9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
wd caviar black 1tb oem dvdrw single loop win7 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" tv adesso mechanical blue tx750 cm690 
MouseMouse PadAudio
mx518 it has cats on it pioneer sx-1050/pioneer sa-6800, b&w dm602s2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motive View Post

FFXI was actually pretty annoying pre-abyssea if you didn't have a huge LS. Or have alot of Japanese friends. Or both.

Agreed, Abyssea not only helped streamline the game so that more people could enjoy it, it also got rid of a lot of the artificial barriers that made the game unnecessarily difficult or time consuming. It was one of the best things to ever happen for FFXI, and this is coming from someone who started playing FFXI back in 2002. Don't get me wrong though, I still think that FFXI pre-Abyssea was a ton of fun.
PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5 ASUS Maximus IV EX MSI Lightning 580 SLI 2x4GB 1600 CAS8 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
M4 64GB + WD 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair AX1200 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
PC
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k @ 4.5 ASUS Maximus IV EX MSI Lightning 580 SLI 2x4GB 1600 CAS8 G.Skill 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
M4 64GB + WD 1TB Windows 7 Home 64bit Corsair AX1200 HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [YouTube] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - End of an Era