Kind of a mini update this weekend so far;
My first pair of the copper finned modular system rads with the stainless side rails came in, but unfortunately, the series connector piece that is used to join them together didn't get here yet, buggers . . .
I really need to have the rads joined to be able to determine the exact overal length, and the center space between the two 420 halves so that I can make up the support rails that strengthen the chassis and keep everything straight and in a flat plane.
In the meantime, I used the rails for the 560 stretch, repositioned by 140 mm at each end, to get a relatively close approximation of the actual length and look of the 840 stretch.
It's still about 40mm shorter than it will be in final form, and the rear rad hangs back into the PSU area a bit, but when the rads are joined and the new rails are made, it'll be in exactly the right place as a 280 would look in a stock case.
Here's how it's coming along:
Shiny new rads . . . For over $250 a pop, you'd think they would have come with some friggin' screws for crimony sake . . . But nooooo
I'll probably need a custom length anyway and end up ordering some from McMaster Carr . . . but still . . .
Here's a close up of the dual circuit rad, with 2 seperate internal circuits:
Here they both are end to end beside the top and bottom chassis panels with the 560 stretch, to get an idea of how long these things actually are.
The single circuit rad is on the feft, and the dual circuit one on the right, I got one of each, so that I have the option when I add the series connector, I can actually build it as either a single or dual circuit 840:
Now since everyone knows, that when modding, no good deed ever goes unpunished . . . .
The machined Delrin modular end pieces come a few mm more forward of the frontmost fan mounting holes than the stamped sheet metal end tanks of a conventional rad, so there's just not quite enough space at the front without modding the lower section of the front panel.
The extra few mm of height that these rads have also necessitate some modding to the front panel, so I just put it all into one cutout.
I also cut a little piece off of the cutout scrap to make a bridge piece to cover the area where the lower portion of the original 200 mm fan opening is:Edited by IT Diva - 12/15/12 at 11:17am