A little Christmas Update:
Santa said I was a good girl again this year, so he was his wonderfully pervy old self, and I sent him on his way relieved of another Phantom 820 case.
Of course I was counting on a gunmetal one this time, but some elf coughed up a hairball somewhere, and I got another white one, though I'm forcing myself to suffer through it OK.
Anyway, the more exciting part of the update involves making more progress . . . . . .
As luck would have it, no one has the single circuit 420 copper fin rads I need in stock, PPC's shows backordered, which hopefully means more are coming in.
So rather than have to wait untill I get the rads for the top to make up the top chassis panel, I built up the panel on the top side of the rad that is assembled for the bottom chassis panel.
The top panle is a butt load more work, as it's all flimsier and much less solid than the bottom with some sections being seperate left and right halves.
Long story short; it's exactly the right length, it's straight, it aligns, all the holes line up, and it's ready to tack, prep and weld.
With the top chassis panel mocked up, it seemed like a good time to work on the top plastic cover pieces. . . .
Rewind, there is NO good time for doing that, but it needs to be done, and well, I was off work and hadn't yet received my fair share of abuse for the day, so I worked myself into my best masochistic mood in preparation.
I knew from the start working out the top cover was gonna suck big time.
With better than 2 full case lengths to span, complex multi-part top trim pieces, and a very limited set of workable options, there's just no easy way to get a satisfactory result.
I ended up going with a dual top setup. . . . I think it will be a lot easier to manage as two reasonable length top pieces, than one ginormously long one.
The front portion is a complete top so that all the fan controller and USB openings remain in the original positions.
The rear portion is grafted from two top panels sans the fan controller / USB portions so that it compliments the front top.
I'm pretty happy with how it looks. . . . Actually, I'm pretty impressed with myself.
Once everything is welded up, I'll drill the extra few mounting holes so everything snaps in properly.
Hope you like how it's coming along,
A little something from Santa:
Whatta you bet the jolly fat bugger put it on my
The top chassis panel set up:
The top plastic parts:Edited by IT Diva - 12/25/12 at 1:56pm