Overclock.net banner

Diverting Wind Direction..

996 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sidious 
#1 ·
I have a fan on the side of my case. The problem is, when I am using my PC (sitting down), the fan always blows right into my leg/ankle. This is really annoying.

I am thinking about to make some kind of diverting tube that bolts on to the fan from the outside and it will have an angle 90 degrees and then an outlet that points towards the rear of the PC. this way, the air will get blown out to the rear of the PC and not directly at my ankle.

What do you guys think? do they already make something similar to this? Thanks.

#3 ·
A fan on the side of your PC should be sucking air INTO the case anyways, you always want your intakes at the front, left side (right for inverted cases like Lian-Li PC-V2000) and you want exhaust out the back and top of your case. Take off your side panel, unscrew that fan and just screw it back to the side panel the other way and your problem's solved, if you look around the edges of the fan it might have an arrow to show your wind direction if you get confused lol, also make sure any other fans in your case are blowing in the proper direction.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remonster
View Post

A fan on the side of your PC should be sucking air INTO the case anyways, you always want your intakes at the front, left side (right for inverted cases like Lian-Li PC-V2000) and you want exhaust out the back and top of your case. Take off your side panel, unscrew that fan and just screw it back to the side panel the other way and your problem's solved, if you look around the edges of the fan it might have an arrow to show your wind direction if you get confused lol, also make sure any other fans in your case are blowing in the proper direction.

thanks for pointing this out, i did not think about this. one concern i have about reverting the side fan and changing it to an intake fan is that, i have a aftermarket CPU fan and this fan is almost lined up with the side fan i am referring to.

the CPU fan is at a much higher speed than the side fan, so if i revert the side fan, wouldnt hot air from the CPU fan be pushing against the colder intake air coming in? Would this be efficient?

currently, i have 5 exhaust fans (1 on top, 1 on the side, 2 in the back and 1 video card exhaust fan). I have no intake fan. (is this bad?)

#7 ·
What direction does your CPU heatsink fan blow? Like my side fan blows In, and my heaksink fan (big typhoon) blows down (pushes air through the fins. so it works. You want your side to be intake as it pushes air right onto your motherboard.

Especially if you have front intake, brings the air in, and before it brushes across all of your motherboard and such, its taken out by the side fan, thats why we have rear exaust.

#8 ·
my heatsink fan blows directly at the inner side of my case. it does not blow towards down nor up. is this bad?

i looked at my cpu case again last night and i do have a intake fan in the front (a big one). the side fan is intake fan so i am concerned that air from the heatsink fan and the side intake fan will come to conflict. what do u guys think?

#11 ·
Basically I think it depends on your case so we would really need to see a picture.

I have an acrylic so my panel could be flipped the other way around and fan in opposite side of case. Problem is my Big Typhoon comes within about 1cm of my case side so it wont fit. If it did i could have that intake directly into my BT and then through the BT then that would filter out over the Motherboard which would be nice. but it doesn't work like that.

Yah post a pic and it'd be easier to tell you whats best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.