Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Fried 4 XFX cards in a row. Do I have amazing luck, or am I doing it wrong?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Fried 4 XFX cards in a row. Do I have amazing luck, or am I doing it wrong?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I've gone through three XFX 5870s, and XFX just sent me a reference 6950 to replace the last 5870. The 6950 was essentially dead on arrival. It booted into Windows once, then the screen went blank, and now the computer will not POST. After being powered off for a few minutes, it will boot into Windows, but within a few minutes starts artifacting and eventually goes blank again.

My first 5870, purchased in February 2011, fried at the power connection, melting the power pins. The first replacement fried when the cooling fan stopped working. The second replacement worked fine for months, but just died a couple weeks ago, showing some extreme artifacting when temperatures rose above 60C. After removing load and allowing the temperature to drop, it returned to normal.

After the first 5870 fried, I bought a Sapphire 5870 with plans to Crossfire with the XFX upon receiving the replacement. The Sapphire has not had a single issue, and temps were consistently 10C cooler than the XFX when running Crossfire.

After the last 5870 fried, I bought an MSI 7950, which also has not had a single issue. I don't get it. Every single video card I've had from XFX has fried, but I've not had a single issue with both cards from Sapphire and MSI. I must have some fantastic luck to get 4 bad cards in a row from XFX... or could I be doing something wrong? I'm honestly hesitant to go to XFX support for an RMA for the 4th time, because I'm sure it looks odd...
post #2 of 7
Hey, I also have a XFX 5870 1GB with Voltage control, it's coming up to 3 years + old now....

There must be a link with your power supply? maybe it's supplying dirty voltage to your graphics card, you should get it tested if possible, it's a guess for now though.

Oh yeah.... XFX gave you a 6950 for sending the 5870 for RMA? eek.gif Makes me feel I must send mine in just to get one haha!
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1700 Gigabyte AX370 Gaming K5 Nvidia GTX 770 G.Skill Trident Z 16GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung Evo 960 M.2 Stock AMD Windows 10 Pro Superflower 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post

Hey, I also have a XFX 5870 1GB with Voltage control, it's coming up to 3 years + old now....
There must be a link with your power supply? maybe it's supplying dirty voltage to your graphics card, you should get it tested if possible, it's a guess for now though.
Oh yeah.... XFX gave you a 6950 for sending the 5870 for RMA? eek.gif Makes me feel I must send mine in just to get one haha!

Doubt it. He has a Seasonic X650 which is a very, very, very good PSU. It surely would have killed the other GPU, too.

Anyhow, to be honest, I think it's just XFX. I've always had issues with their cards, had an 8800GT that stopped working, a 775 Ultra motherboard with no end of issues, both of which they wiggled their way out of RMA'ing and were just a huge pain in the whole process. Never again. Did have a reference XFX 5870 for a while a few years ago which was fine.

On a related note, were your 5870's reference or the ones with the fan in the middle?

The ones with the fan in the middle are much worse quality than the older reference ones, I've seen them with fried VRM's, artifacting, no display...seriously, even opening them up you can see how cheaply they are put together.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k GA-Z77MX-D3H Palit Jetstream 680 4GB 4 X 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (1600MHz/CAS8 @ 1.5v) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB Corsair Force + 2TB RAID0 + 500GB Antec Kühler 620 w/AP-14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 (2560 x 1440) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (MX Blues) Corsair HX650 Lian Li PC-U6B Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k GA-Z77MX-D3H Palit Jetstream 680 4GB 4 X 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (1600MHz/CAS8 @ 1.5v) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB Corsair Force + 2TB RAID0 + 500GB Antec Kühler 620 w/AP-14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 (2560 x 1440) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (MX Blues) Corsair HX650 Lian Li PC-U6B Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
I had an awesome XFX Core 7970 (Reference) with the revised PCB (probably cheaper quality) had zero issues with it and overclocked like a champ
post #5 of 7
I've owned 5 XFX cards and only one of them had problems.
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix View Post

Hey, I also have a XFX 5870 1GB with Voltage control, it's coming up to 3 years + old now....
There must be a link with your power supply? maybe it's supplying dirty voltage to your graphics card, you should get it tested if possible, it's a guess for now though.
Oh yeah.... XFX gave you a 6950 for sending the 5870 for RMA? eek.gif Makes me feel I must send mine in just to get one haha!

Power supply or motherboard are the only things I can think of. My PSU has been rock solid otherwise, but my motherboard isn't anything special; I think I cheaped out on that the most. And yep, they gave me a reference 6950 to replace my non-reference 5870. I'm not sure if they've just run out of old inventory, or they decided to give me something better after 3 bad 5870s in a row. Either way, I was super excited to get a better card, it's just too bad it doesn't work. I don't want to push my luck, but I'm considering asking XFX for a 7950 if I pay the difference, since the 6950 is between my 5870 and 7950 and I can't Crossfire with either. I believe the original warranty is 2 years, so I'm not sure if you'd even be able to RMA anymore if your card is 3+ years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

Doubt it. He has a Seasonic X650 which is a very, very, very good PSU. It surely would have killed the other GPU, too.
Anyhow, to be honest, I think it's just XFX. I've always had issues with their cards, had an 8800GT that stopped working, a 775 Ultra motherboard with no end of issues, both of which they wiggled their way out of RMA'ing and were just a huge pain in the whole process. Never again. Did have a reference XFX 5870 for a while a few years ago which was fine.
On a related note, were your 5870's reference or the ones with the fan in the middle?
The ones with the fan in the middle are much worse quality than the older reference ones, I've seen them with fried VRM's, artifacting, no display...seriously, even opening them up you can see how cheaply they are put together.

That's why I spent the extra money on the Seasonic. It's been great otherwise, and it handled dual 5870s running BOINC pretty well. I was probably pushing it with that setup, so I'm looking at bumping up to the X750 for some more headroom, even though I'm no longer with a Crossfire setup.

All three of my XFX 5870s were non-reference design, so I guess this further proves their quality issues. I definitely believe the cooling design was an issue because my Sapphire 5870 was always much cooler even when running DNETC, Milkyway@home, etc. It's weird that the 6950 was a reference design and was still DOA, though. Regardless, XFX customer support has never given me trouble, and the RMA process was extremely quick and painless. It's unfortunate you had bad experiences.
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenetic1amnesic View Post

That's why I spent the extra money on the Seasonic. It's been great otherwise, and it handled dual 5870s running BOINC pretty well. I was probably pushing it with that setup, so I'm looking at bumping up to the X750 for some more headroom, even though I'm no longer with a Crossfire setup.
All three of my XFX 5870s were non-reference design, so I guess this further proves their quality issues. I definitely believe the cooling design was an issue because my Sapphire 5870 was always much cooler even when running DNETC, Milkyway@home, etc. It's weird that the 6950 was a reference design and was still DOA, though. Regardless, XFX customer support has never given me trouble, and the RMA process was extremely quick and painless. It's unfortunate you had bad experiences.

You weren't, that PSU would be fine at that setup. It's one of the best out there and pulls above it's weight(/wattage).

I thought they would be, they really are awful, same with XFX non ref 5850's. I had a reference 6970 a few weeks ago which was also XFX, actually, that a friend gave me as it just died and didn't display anything. Just remembered, tongue.gif

I know people who have had worse experiences than me, but then again some people have great experiences so it's hit and miss it seems. Still, what I hear is more bad than good, but they are British friends, so XFX US RMA is probably leagues better than the small team of concentrated incompetence they employ in the UK.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k GA-Z77MX-D3H Palit Jetstream 680 4GB 4 X 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (1600MHz/CAS8 @ 1.5v) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB Corsair Force + 2TB RAID0 + 500GB Antec Kühler 620 w/AP-14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 (2560 x 1440) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (MX Blues) Corsair HX650 Lian Li PC-U6B Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k GA-Z77MX-D3H Palit Jetstream 680 4GB 4 X 2GB G.Skill Ripjaws X (1600MHz/CAS8 @ 1.5v) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
60GB Corsair Force + 2TB RAID0 + 500GB Antec Kühler 620 w/AP-14 Windows 7 Professional x64 Dell U2711 (2560 x 1440) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch (MX Blues) Corsair HX650 Lian Li PC-U6B Razer Deathadder 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Fried 4 XFX cards in a row. Do I have amazing luck, or am I doing it wrong?