Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Korean S-IPS Monitors vs Dell UltraSharp Monitors Compared
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Korean S-IPS Monitors vs Dell UltraSharp Monitors Compared - Page 7  

post #61 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

I'm not saying the macro image isn't useful. It is, however, only useful for one thing, and one thing only: a comparison of the close up view of the antiglare. We might make a reasonable inference as to the relative strength of the antiglare between monitors. That does not mean necessarily mean a monitor with greater close up distortion has a worse image. It has no bearing on contrast, gamut, uniformity, tinting, colour accuracy, viewing angles and other measures of image quality, which can all have as great adverse effect on image quality than just antiglare (which can also have a positive impact on image quality).
If one wants to make the case for superior image quality, as Koehler did, one must make a better comparison than using the macro image. He, just a few posts ago, commented that the S24A350T had better image quality than a Crossover! I'm sorry, but there is no way you can justify that from just that picture. A Crossover has better panel technology, equivalent contrast, better use of colours with less banding, has a higher dot pitch and higher resolution.
picking a monitor for me has been a 3 year journey and i still haven't found the perfect monitor. all the monitors i have have major their strengths and weaknesses. even what we constitute as image quality is relative.
antiglare greatly afffects image quality. its the reason the u2711 in the macro image looks the way it does. it would be just as bad displaying text and not just those colors. btw i don't wear glasses. (or maybe i should?)


since display technology moves slow there's too many factors to be considered and it comes down to personal preference.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
3770k (3233C Batch)  G1.Sniper 3 sapphire 7950 reference sapphire 7950 reference 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
ares 32GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 2.5" MZ-7PD256BW Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 128GB Western Digital WD1002FAEX  
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
usb iomega superslim dvd Zalman CNPS12X 7 ultimate x64 SP1 ZR30w 
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
u2412mb u2412mb u2412m u2412m 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
V7 D24W33 LA2405wg E157FP dell sk-8115 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SeaSonic Platinum-860 860W ATX12V RSV-R4000 Rackmount Server Chassis TeamScorpion X-Luca xtrac ripper xxl 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 logitech c920 webcam logitech C920 Webcam serato sl1 
Other
usb 2.0 hub 
  hide details  
post #62 of 126
The question is why cheap out on a Korean monitor when you can buy a Samsung or Dell and feel confident your buying the best ?

Like i mentioned on another forum don't spend thousands on a gaming rig then cheap out on the monitor to display it all.
Phanteks Shift
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700K Asus Strix Z370-I Gaming Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC G.Skill Trident Z RGB  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Phanteks Glacier CPU Block Phanteks Glacier GPU Block Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X34 Predator Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown SIlverstone SX800-LTI Phanteks Shift X 
MouseAudio
Asus Gladius II Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Phanteks Shift
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700K Asus Strix Z370-I Gaming Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC G.Skill Trident Z RGB  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Phanteks Glacier CPU Block Phanteks Glacier GPU Block Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X34 Predator Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown SIlverstone SX800-LTI Phanteks Shift X 
MouseAudio
Asus Gladius II Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
post #63 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk20z3 View Post

The question is why cheap out on a Korean monitor when you can buy a Samsung or Dell and feel confident your buying the best ?
Like i mentioned on another forum don't spend thousands on a gaming rig then cheap out on the monitor to display it all.

Because you save $500.

That's enough for me.
post #64 of 126
Not worth it when you have an inferior product for what would prob be an extended period of time.

There has to be a reason why they can sell these monitors so cheap or maybe i am just uneducated in this area.
Phanteks Shift
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700K Asus Strix Z370-I Gaming Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC G.Skill Trident Z RGB  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Phanteks Glacier CPU Block Phanteks Glacier GPU Block Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X34 Predator Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown SIlverstone SX800-LTI Phanteks Shift X 
MouseAudio
Asus Gladius II Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
Phanteks Shift
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 8700K Asus Strix Z370-I Gaming Asus Strix 1080 Ti OC G.Skill Trident Z RGB  
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 Phanteks Glacier CPU Block Phanteks Glacier GPU Block Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer X34 Predator Corsair Strafe RGB MX Brown SIlverstone SX800-LTI Phanteks Shift X 
MouseAudio
Asus Gladius II Corsair SP2500 
  hide details  
post #65 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk20z3 View Post

Not worth it when you have an inferior product for what would prob be an extended period of time.
There has to be a reason why they can sell these monitors so cheap or maybe i am just uneducated in this area.

It's inferior, but it isn't $500 worth of inferiorness.

Dell (U2713hm) = 3 year, a real perfect pixel (and backlight bleed and uniformity and tinting) guarantee, no hassle warranty with support, 15 day no-questions-asked returns, better build quality, better panel quality and just overall better monitor. Essentially retail prices.
Cheap koreans = 1 year manufacturer warranty (pay your own shipping), mediocre build quality, limited supply of binned, lower quality* panels. Essentially wholesale prices.

*Lower quality like how a i5-3570k is "lower quality" than a i7-3770k without hyperthreading.
post #66 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

I think people should simply buy calibration tools. Though, understandably it may not always provide the best solution for a good viewing experience (coughNvidiacough).

So do I, but most won't, ever. The vast majority of users found on these types of forums buy displays for media use. I read reviews from 10+ sites and various forums, can't always remember who said what, but I have seen many mentions of wide gamut sRGB mode calibrated issues.

Anyway, the main reason why the Korean displays (best case scenario) are better than the U2711 is because they are not grainy, have better blacks/contrast, less ghosting (and input lag depending on the model) and better sRGB colours while being 2-3x cheaper.

Glossy fans only have 2 domestic 1440p choices, the Apple Cinema Display and Samsung S27B970D, both of which cost around 950$. Some of the Korean models have really good build quality.

If one does not want a glossy display they can get a U2713 or one of the displays with Samsung PLS panels (ViewSonic VP2770, Samsung S27A850D, Asus PB278Q) which have the same advantages as the Korean models as well as warranties.
Edited by MenacingTuba - 11/27/12 at 8:09pm
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
Dr. Tesla
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Zotac GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme Patriot Viper 3 Series, Sapphire Blue Edition D... 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H80 Windows 7 Ultimate X-Star DP2710 Glossy Qnix QX2710 Matte 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Viewsonic VP2780-4K HP 25er Razer Black Widow Ultimate Antec HCP 1200w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Lian Li PC-P80 Razer Lachesis Roccat Sense Glacier Blue Beyerdynamic T90 Jubilee 
Audio
Essence HDACC 
  hide details  
post #67 of 126
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MenacingTuba View Post

So do I, but most won't, ever. The vast majority of users found on these types of forums buy displays for media use. I read reviews from 10+ sites and various forums, can't always remember who said what, but I have seen many mentions of wide gamut sRGB mode calibrated issues.
Anyway, the main reason why the Korean displays (best case scenario) are better than the U2711 is because they are not grainy, have better blacks/contrast, less ghosting (and input lag depending on the model) and better sRGB colours while being 2-3x cheaper.
Glossy fans only have 2 domestic 1440p choices, the Apple Cinema Display and Samsung S27B970D, both of which cost around 950$. Some of the Korean models have really good build quality.
If one does not want a glossy display they can get a U2713 or one of the displays with Samsung PLS panels (ViewSonic VP2770, Samsung S27A850D, Asus PB278Q) which have the same advantages as the Korean models as well as warranties.

You can't really compare a glossy monitor with a non-glossy monitor.

The Samsung PLS panels are great, however the Korean S-IPS glossy panels are the best if you want the best image quality.
post #68 of 126
well reading page 1 only, it seems the thread started gets bashed by others claiming the information is not true.

what i wonder is why we see all kinds of different pixel images in that first post since they all use desame lg panel?
post #69 of 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by borgqueenx View Post

well reading page 1 only, it seems the thread started gets bashed by others claiming the information is not true.
what i wonder is why we see all kinds of different pixel images in that first post since they all use desame lg panel?

The thing is that they aren't all the same panel. There are probably a dozen different panels in use in that image. Some are glossy IPS, some are matte IPS, some are PLS, some are TN, some are *VA panels. There are a couple of 120hz panels there too. The image is used to compare relative strength and give a general ranking of the strength of the anti-glare coating of the panel by checking the distortion of the subpixels in a macro photograph. Useful for what it's useful for - checking the strength & severity of AG coatings. Not terribly useful if you hate AG to begin with.

It gets bashed simply because much of the rest of it isn't true, heh.
post #70 of 126
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsbane View Post

The thing is that they aren't all the same panel. There are probably a dozen different panels in use in that image. Some are glossy IPS, some are matte IPS, some are PLS, some are TN, some are *VA panels. There are a couple of 120hz panels there too. The image is used to compare relative strength and give a general ranking of the strength of the anti-glare coating of the panel by checking the distortion of the subpixels in a macro photograph. Useful for what it's useful for - checking the strength & severity of AG coatings. Not terribly useful if you hate AG to begin with.
It gets bashed simply because much of the rest of it isn't true, heh.

Korean glossy S-IPS panels are the best when it comes to image quality and color accuracy.

Matte panels have a lot of graininess which results in poor image quality.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Korean S-IPS Monitors vs Dell UltraSharp Monitors Compared