Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club! - Page 761

post #7601 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majentrix View Post

So who else has gone all the way and cut open their case for ventilation?



I noticed my hard drives were getting too hot, so I used my old pair of tin snips to open up the XB and installed a fan next to the main hard drives.
I don't have a filter for it yet, hopefully I can get one on the weekend.

Just a little bit yeah.


Although I have now filled in most of the holes woth acrylic.
post #7602 of 10491
So over the weekend I got a little creative. Not too much but a big difference to me and I love it all the more for it.

For starters I bought all new Jetflo 120mm fans. 2 Black to hide in the front for push, 3 Blue LED for the inside glow for pull and exhaust.





They are LOUD at max RPM, I have one of those Molex 6 way power splitters to run all my fans to move as much air as possible. Pump runs off the mobo. At 2000rpms these things scream like a vacuum but with just them installed I noticed a 2* drop in Idle Temps. Peak is still about 36* but it idles around 27* where it used to idle at 29*. So for the looks and actual function, $90 worth of fan upgrades almost seems worth it. tongue.gif

Now I know your thinking, installing fans isn't very creative. Matches the theme, but not very creative. So I give you...



BAM! Windows thumb.gif

Top was originally mesh, sides were well you know. My Dremel hated me by the time it was done, but I think I did well enough. Cuts are almost perfectly straight, alot better than the last time I did one, but I've had alot more experience since that hack job. Still shows the metal and the imperfections, but I can order some C-channel in for that later, it's worlds better even without it. Gives it some character lol

Anyways. On to some darker photos, its blue... REALLY blue. I need to redo the tubing and couplers to give a little better look, the black factory tubes hide too well and are way too long for the short trip to the rad. Future projects. biggrin.gif

From the top. I didn't get rid of the hump yet, because the GF was like "It'll just be an ugly box if you lose the hump, don't do it" and I like to keep her happy. So later it will get hacked away. wink.gif



Through the side, you can actually see the pump in all its glory. Eisberg 240L FTW.



GPU Side, EVGA GTX 660s, not the best of the bunch, but its a budget LanBox. She gets the job done just fine.



Anywho, sorry for the crappy photos, I took the pics with a potatoe and it is what it is. I need a proper camera, but there just isn't enough money to go around for these things haha.
Edited by TLSheff - 3/10/14 at 6:55am
post #7603 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy46 View Post

Just a little bit yeah.


Although I have now filled in most of the holes woth acrylic.

Looks great man. I think the case deserves a nice window. I was thinking about actually buying the top window panel but I'm worried that might affect temps. What are your thoughts?
post #7604 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru12 View Post

Looks great man. I think the case deserves a nice window. I was thinking about actually buying the top window panel but I'm worried that might affect temps. What are your thoughts?

I don't think fitting a top window should effect temps to greatly. I've not fired mine up yet, but other guys have and no ones mentioned temps being a problem. I did read someone was worried the heat from hos pc migjt melt the acrylic. Obviously it won't, and if your pc does get hot enough to melt 3mm acrylic. You've got some serious issues

. You don't need to buy the top panel. Just buy a sheet of acrylic. Most sellers will cut it to size . Then either overlay the mesh and drill out the holes for the fixings, or just use some double sided foam tape to stick it on with.
post #7605 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy46 View Post

I don't think fitting a top window should effect temps to greatly. I've not fired mine up yet, but other guys have and no ones mentioned temps being a problem. I did read someone was worried the heat from hos pc migjt melt the acrylic. Obviously it won't, and if your pc does get hot enough to melt 3mm acrylic. You've got some serious issues

. You don't need to buy the top panel. Just buy a sheet of acrylic. Most sellers will cut it to size . Then either overlay the mesh and drill out the holes for the fixings, or just use some double sided foam tape to stick it on with.

Yea I was thinking of doing that too but I'd like to keep the meshed top just in case I want to switch out the top panel for a 200mm fan. The Cooler Master one's I'm using in my current 912 work nicely. CM's site prices the top panel at $12 bucks so it's only slightly more expensive than doing it myself.

Btw, I have used 3M double sided adhesive to great effect, tough as nails that stuff is.
post #7606 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru12 View Post

Yea I was thinking of doing that too but I'd like to keep the meshed top just in case I want to switch out the top panel for a 200mm fan. The Cooler Master one's I'm using in my current 912 work nicely. CM's site prices the top panel at $12 bucks so it's only slightly more expensive than doing it myself.

Btw, I have used 3M double sided adhesive to great effect, tough as nails that stuff is.

See my above post, I made my own window with plexi. All I did was measure twice, cut, check, shave, perfect, drill holes and I'm using the plastic push pins to fill the holes with double sided tape to hold the plexi in place. All I would have to do is remove the window and reinstall the mesh anytime I wanted... but I don't plan to.

Not having the mesh didn't affect my temps, with the Jetflo's installed my temps actually dropped so I doubt it would make any difference in yours. Altho I did make plexi side windows as well so I created a tunnel effect with it. In from front and straight out the back. Everything seems to be cooler tho, so no cons, just pros.

thumb.gif
post #7607 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSheff View Post

See my above post, I made my own window with plexi. All I did was measure twice, cut, check, shave, perfect, drill holes and I'm using the plastic push pins to fill the holes with double sided tape to hold the plexi in place. All I would have to do is remove the window and reinstall the mesh anytime I wanted... but I don't plan to.

Not having the mesh didn't affect my temps, with the Jetflo's installed my temps actually dropped so I doubt it would make any difference in yours. Altho I did make plexi side windows as well so I created a tunnel effect with it. In from front and straight out the back. Everything seems to be cooler tho, so no cons, just pros.

thumb.gif

Where do you buy your Plexi? Might just pick some up at Home Depot or something.
post #7608 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru12 View Post

Looks great man. I think the case deserves a nice window. I was thinking about actually buying the top window panel but I'm worried that might affect temps. What are your thoughts?

I actual dropped a few C with my windowed top over mesh (both stock CM panels) maybe airflow is a bit more concentrated.
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Money Pit
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMRAM
AMD Athlon X2 5000+  Asrock N61P-S Samsung 512MB DDR2 Samsung 512MB DDR2 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Seagate 80GB SATA Cooler Master Phenom II Stock Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell Slim 160 Watt 
Case
XBOX Original Casing 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7609 of 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru12 View Post

Where do you buy your Plexi? Might just pick some up at Home Depot or something.

Lowes but Home Depot should have some too. I bought 2 18" x 36" panels for about $10 each. Worth it in my opinion. You just need to make sure you have a dremel with plastic cutting blades so you don't break it.
post #7610 of 10491

Welshy, your a BEAST. You pulled off the tilted mobo!!!! Great job brotha. I love it :applaud:

    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage IV Black Edition w/EK Clean CSQ Block PowerColor 290x BF4 (2 More Coming) G Skill Trident X 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Silverstone Slotload Bluray Burner EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Alphacool XT45 360 XSPC EX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 240 3 x Phobya NB E-Loops (1600RPM) Alphacool UT60 120 (White Edition) 7 x Gentle Typhoon AP-00 (2150) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 6 x Phobya G1/4 Inline Temp Sensor Coupler (2 P... Aquacomputer G1/4 High Flow Meter Swiftech MCP35x 
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC Photon 170 Reservoir Windows 7 + Linux Antec HCP-1300 Platinum CoolerMaster HAF XB (Modded) 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Silverstone FP58 Thermaltake Max 5 Duo Phobya 6 x 16mm Vandal Switch Plate  6 x 16mm Vandal Switches (ModSmart & Lamptron) 
OtherOther
LC Telios Red/Black Fusion, White, & Gray More To Come... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage IV Black Edition w/EK Clean CSQ Block PowerColor 290x BF4 (2 More Coming) G Skill Trident X 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Silverstone Slotload Bluray Burner EK Supremacy Clean CSQ Alphacool XT45 360 XSPC EX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool ST30 240 3 x Phobya NB E-Loops (1600RPM) Alphacool UT60 120 (White Edition) 7 x Gentle Typhoon AP-00 (2150) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Gentle Typhoon AP-15 6 x Phobya G1/4 Inline Temp Sensor Coupler (2 P... Aquacomputer G1/4 High Flow Meter Swiftech MCP35x 
CoolingOSPowerCase
XSPC Photon 170 Reservoir Windows 7 + Linux Antec HCP-1300 Platinum CoolerMaster HAF XB (Modded) 
OtherOtherOtherOther
Silverstone FP58 Thermaltake Max 5 Duo Phobya 6 x 16mm Vandal Switch Plate  6 x 16mm Vandal Switches (ModSmart & Lamptron) 
OtherOther
LC Telios Red/Black Fusion, White, & Gray More To Come... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › [Official] Cooler Master HAF-XB Club!