Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › 23-24" 1080p Monitor Under $300
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

23-24" 1080p Monitor Under $300

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Heyy, fellas! I am looking to purchase a new monitor for my laptop. My requirement is that it should be 23-24" 16:9 1080p LED backlit. My preference is to watch movies, videos, FPS gaming like call of duty series and battlefiled 3, and sometimes i edit pictures in adobe lightroom. My budget is under 250 USD. I prefer glossy display as watching movies is more enjoyable.
Edited by batman18 - 11/21/12 at 10:33pm
post #2 of 16
Sasmsung S23A700D or Samsung S23A950D. Pick whichever you can afford.

These are the best 120Hz gaming monitors in that price range.

I personally have the Samsung S23A950D and love it.
post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
It's expensive and not comes in my budget. redface.gif
How is the new Dell S2440L and Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM? Which one is better among them?
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman18 View Post

It's expensive and not comes in my budget. redface.gif
How is the new Dell S2440L and Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM? Which one is better among them?

The Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM is much much better. The Dell S2440L is a lower quality panel.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

The Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM is much much better. The Dell S2440L is a lower quality panel.

Why is it of lower quality?...It's AMVA so angles are not so good,but contrast is much better...
Then it is glossy so colours are better,unlike U2312HM which uses the aggresive 3H coating.

But what do you think of S2340L:
-Ips,glossy so vibrant colours.also the reviews I read said it has almost the same response time as U2312HM
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by marikso View Post

Why is it of lower quality?...It's AMVA so angles are not so good,but contrast is much better...
Then it is glossy so colours are better,unlike U2312HM which uses the aggresive 3H coating.
But what do you think of S2340L:
-Ips,glossy so vibrant colours.also the reviews I read said it has almost the same response time as U2312HM

This entire "AG ruins colors" thing is getting out of hand. I'm beginning to think people are confusing oversaturated or otherwise uncalibrated colors for better colors. With AG the worst thing you'll experience is color shift with bright colors in the presence of direct light which, IMO, is better than being blinded by the same light being reflected into your face.

Also, I've (briefly) owned the S2440L. The thing is a literal mirror. In light I constantly saw my face and even in the darkness it picked up insignificant light like my keyboard's backlighting on low or the ambient light from my 2nd monitor and reflects it. I've seen the S2340L as well, and though I haven't used it like the S2440L it's about as reflective. The A-MVA panel on the S2440L itself is good though, great contrast and blacks as you would expect from xVA type panels. Straight out of the box had some pretty horrible colors though. I don't recall which mode it was but it was the one with the least tinting; everything was too cool and the colors were muted. If you have the money for a nice monitor do yourself a favor and get a calibration tool somewhere along the line. I admit I'm a little biased but I think it's definitely a worthy investment at any rate.

As for a recommendation, I recommend the PB238Q.
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

This entire "AG ruins colors" thing is getting out of hand. I'm beginning to think people are confusing oversaturated or otherwise uncalibrated colors for better colors. With AG the worst thing you'll experience is color shift with bright colors in the presence of direct light which, IMO, is better than being blinded by the same light being reflected into your face.
Also, I've (briefly) owned the S2440L. The thing is a literal mirror. In light I constantly saw my face and even in the darkness it picked up insignificant light like my keyboard's backlighting on low or the ambient light from my 2nd monitor and reflects it. I've seen the S2340L as well, and though I haven't used it like the S2440L it's about as reflective. The A-MVA panel on the S2440L itself is good though, great contrast and blacks as you would expect from xVA type panels. Straight out of the box had some pretty horrible colors though. I don't recall which mode it was but it was the one with the least tinting; everything was too cool and the colors were muted. If you have the money for a nice monitor do yourself a favor and get a calibration tool somewhere along the line. I admit I'm a little biased but I think it's definitely a worthy investment at any rate.
As for a recommendation, I recommend the PB238Q.
Antiglare doesn't ruin colors, it ruins image quality.

And I don't recommend the PB238Q.

Overall poor panel for gaming.
post #8 of 16
Does it have to be 23-24 inches? Because this 27 inch is on sale at Newgg for $250:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103

Just bought one of these myself. Can't wait till I get it!
Dominus Noctis
(33 items)
 
Sager NP7352
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz [Gigabyte] Z97X-Gaming GT [EVGA] GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0... [G.SKILL] Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung] 840 Pro 256GB (OS/Programs/Games) [Western Digital] Caviar Blue 640GB (User Files) [HP] DVD-RW Multi-Recorder Lightscribe [Corsair] H100i Hydro Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
[Corsair] SP120L High Performance 120mm Radiato... [Corsair] SP120L High Performance 120mm Radiato... [Corsair] SP120 High Performance Edition 120mm ... [Corsair] SP120 High Performance Edition 120mm ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
[Corsair] 140mm Top Exhaust Fan (White LED) [Corsair] 140mm Top Exhaust Fan (White LED) [Corsair] 140mm Rear Exhaust Fan [Microsoft] Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
[ASUS] VG278HE 27' LED - 1920x1080p@144Hz [ASUS] VE278Q 27' LED - 1920x1080p@60Hz [Acer] H233H 23' LCD - 1920x1080p@30Hz [Corsair] Vengeance K70 (Silver) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[Seasonic] X-1250W [Corsair] Carbide Series Air 540 (White) [RAZER] DeathAdder 3.5G [Corsair] MM200 Compact 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
[Schiit] Bifrost (Uber) Digital To Analog Conve... [Schiit] Lyr Headphone Amplifier [Focusrite] Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface [Sennheiser] HD 650 Headphones 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
[V-MODA] Crossfade M-100 Headphones (Shadow) [KRK] Rokit 6 Studio Monitors [Samson] Q2U Microphone [Novation] Launchkey 25 MIDI Controller 
Other
[Linksys] AE3000 N900 USB Dual Band WiFi Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] Core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7GHz [Intel] HM87 Express Chipset [Nvidia] GeForce GTX 765M [Intel] HD Graphics 4600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Patriot] 16GB (2x8GB) @ 1600MHz [Intel] 525 Series 120GB (OS/Programs) [Seagate] Momentus 750GB (User Files/Games) [Toshiba/Samsung] 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Mult... 
CoolingOSMonitorMouse
[Cooler Master] NotePal U2 PLUS [Microsoft] Windows 10 Home (64-Bit) [Sager] 15.6' LED Display - 1920x1080p@60Hz [Logitech] Anywhere Mouse MX 
AudioAudio
[FiiO] E07K Andes USB DAC/AMP  [V-MODA] Crossfade M-100 Headphones (Shadow) 
  hide details  
Reply
Dominus Noctis
(33 items)
 
Sager NP7352
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz [Gigabyte] Z97X-Gaming GT [EVGA] GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0... [G.SKILL] Ripjaws 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
[Samsung] 840 Pro 256GB (OS/Programs/Games) [Western Digital] Caviar Blue 640GB (User Files) [HP] DVD-RW Multi-Recorder Lightscribe [Corsair] H100i Hydro Cooler 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
[Corsair] SP120L High Performance 120mm Radiato... [Corsair] SP120L High Performance 120mm Radiato... [Corsair] SP120 High Performance Edition 120mm ... [Corsair] SP120 High Performance Edition 120mm ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
[Corsair] 140mm Top Exhaust Fan (White LED) [Corsair] 140mm Top Exhaust Fan (White LED) [Corsair] 140mm Rear Exhaust Fan [Microsoft] Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
[ASUS] VG278HE 27' LED - 1920x1080p@144Hz [ASUS] VE278Q 27' LED - 1920x1080p@60Hz [Acer] H233H 23' LCD - 1920x1080p@30Hz [Corsair] Vengeance K70 (Silver) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
[Seasonic] X-1250W [Corsair] Carbide Series Air 540 (White) [RAZER] DeathAdder 3.5G [Corsair] MM200 Compact 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
[Schiit] Bifrost (Uber) Digital To Analog Conve... [Schiit] Lyr Headphone Amplifier [Focusrite] Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface [Sennheiser] HD 650 Headphones 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
[V-MODA] Crossfade M-100 Headphones (Shadow) [KRK] Rokit 6 Studio Monitors [Samson] Q2U Microphone [Novation] Launchkey 25 MIDI Controller 
Other
[Linksys] AE3000 N900 USB Dual Band WiFi Adapter 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
[Intel] Core i7-4800MQ @ 2.7GHz [Intel] HM87 Express Chipset [Nvidia] GeForce GTX 765M [Intel] HD Graphics 4600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
[Patriot] 16GB (2x8GB) @ 1600MHz [Intel] 525 Series 120GB (OS/Programs) [Seagate] Momentus 750GB (User Files/Games) [Toshiba/Samsung] 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Mult... 
CoolingOSMonitorMouse
[Cooler Master] NotePal U2 PLUS [Microsoft] Windows 10 Home (64-Bit) [Sager] 15.6' LED Display - 1920x1080p@60Hz [Logitech] Anywhere Mouse MX 
AudioAudio
[FiiO] E07K Andes USB DAC/AMP  [V-MODA] Crossfade M-100 Headphones (Shadow) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

Does it have to be 23-24 inches? Because this 27 inch is on sale at Newgg for $250:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103
Just bought one of these myself. Can't wait till I get it!

Poor quality panel.
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koehler View Post

The Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM is much much better. The Dell S2440L is a lower quality panel.

But what do you think of U2312HM and S2340L,they are both IPS,both have almost the same response time,the only great difference seems to be the coating.

You said the coating ruins the image quality,so would it be better to get the glossy S2340L or the U2312HM if the only visible difference is the coating?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › 23-24" 1080p Monitor Under $300