Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Losing My Build Virginity
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Losing My Build Virginity - Page 4

post #31 of 53
Thread Starter 
Alright, since we seem to have settled all of the issues with the initial list, I have some questions about items that were not on the list, and I'm not sure what to do about them.
  • Wires: This might sound like a stupid question, but the wires I need to connect everything. Do I need to buy them seperately?
  • Sound Card: Do I need to purchase one?
  • Tools. I already have all of the basic tools one would find in a,well, a toolbox, but do I need any special tools for the big day(s)?
post #32 of 53
Stop right there first timer!!! Before you buy anything watch videos one, two, and three from newegg. They talk about what the parts do are and how to build with them. (even if you got your heart set on parts watch all 3 and it could really help like it did me) There a bit long but better to have your cherry pop knowing whats happening then to just get pounded and not know whats going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Ill list some stuff I learned before and after I built mine keeping in mind that you will be rendering and gaming. Ill also try and show you where to future proof so you don't waist your $$$

Any question you might have or do have will most likely have already been asked on OC.net or on other sites so dont be afraid to look around or ask it your self

Tips from a newly broken in pc builder June 2012

CPU: i-7 anything is hyper threading. (its just how the CPU crunches data and if what you run does not have it your just burning your cash and perhaps even a profomence drop) Unless you need it for one of the programs id really strongly advise you go with the i-5 3570k. The i-5 3570k is "THE" top dog in the i-5s and it has a K witch is unlocked for overclocking. Over clocking you can look up later but it runs the parts faster as if they where a step or so above what you have stock. Any who the i-5 will also be a cheaper then the i-7s. More $$$ is not always better. If you want lower temps or do any OC and dont buy a heat sink your stock heat sick will explode into a ball of flames and kill your CPU and maybe other parts too.

MOBO: get one that will fit your needs. Your going to render and most likely will SLI/Corssfire your system sooner or later so get a mobo w/ AT LEAST two PCI-e 16x slots so they will fit. Want to plug that sucker up to a HD tv to play movies? Get one with a HDMI port. Want wi-fi built in so its not eating up other slots? Then get one with it. Its all about what you want to do with it. Just make sure the CPU Soc will fit in the mobo you pick. Also when you pick RAM that the pin size will fit in the mobo too. Furture proof your self get a mobo you can grow with also.

GPU: I have a GTX 670 FTW Edition myself and love it. As for games what wont it play on Ultra. biggrin.gif As for your rendering you can get away with one 670 FTW or just normal 670 but id really recomend SLI 670s or just one 680. For the 690 is really an overkill to your wallet compaired to the 680. If you do end up going with one 670 I really think you should pay just a few more $$$ for the FTW edition.

PSU: This thing will be your bud for years if you do it right. Sure a single 670 or 680 GPU will not need a 850W PSU but you are rendering and most likely will SLI/Crossfire and will need more juice and if your like most people after your build your own you will try your hand in Overclocking and this will require more juice. Another thing is brand. Get a known brand. I think most every one will agree Seasonic is just about if not "THE" best for PSU brand around.(Corsair has Seasonic make them PSU change the name and color and charge more $$$) To buy Modular or not to buy, that is the question. If your case has a window, and its not modular, and your not David Copperfield then people will see your cords. If thats not a prob then **** it non modular. I felt the same way when I got my PSU and now im replacing it with a modular Season X850. Again future proof your self dont spend $99 now on a part then you end up replacing a year later for double the price. Also theres really good deals on newegg for modular PSU and cyber monday is almost here.

RAM: Games and rendering 8G not recomended, 16G sweet spot, 24G showing off, 32G setting the dude on fire after a point blank heat shot. The RAM needs to one, fit the pin type on the mobo and two, needs to be the right channel. So 4 4g stick is cool if your mobo is quad chanel. To save room for the furture id go with 2 8G sticks but that mean your mobo would need to be dual channel to get the most out of your RAM. Dual RAM will work in a triple channel but it wont be as efficient.

HDDs/SSDs: all about what you want out of them SSD are fast and great for booting and even better for gaming if you got the pocket for it. HDD id would not buy anything lower then 7200 RPM. also the WB red is a RAID thing.

Case: Get somthing that will fit your mobos form factor and that looks nice and has decent cooling options unless you want to make your own blow holes.

OS: I would really w8 on win 8 just saying. Id roll it back to 7 and NEVER EVER go Vista.

mouse, keybaord, speakers, and all that **** is up to your needs like before.

hope this helps man
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b hax View Post

Alright, since we seem to have settled all of the issues with the initial list, I have some questions about items that were not on the list, and I'm not sure what to do about them.
  • Wires: This might sound like a stupid question, but the wires I need to connect everything. Do I need to buy them seperately?
  • Sound Card: Do I need to purchase one?
  • Tools. I already have all of the basic tools one would find in a,well, a toolbox, but do I need any special tools for the big day(s)?

sound card will come on newer Mobos and there pretty good unless your a sound snob

cords will come with what you buy. The gpu, case, mobo all that come with that stuff

a phillips screwdriver and some beer will do just fine
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 53
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Mod View Post

Stop right there first timer!!! Before you buy anything watch videos one, two, and three from newegg. They talk about what the parts do are and how to build with them. (even if you got your heart set on parts watch all 3 and it could really help like it did me) There a bit long but better to have your cherry pop knowing whats happening then to just get pounded and not know whats going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
Ill list some stuff I learned before and after I built mine keeping in mind that you will be rendering and gaming. Ill also try and show you where to future proof so you don't waist your $$$
Any question you might have or do have will most likely have already been asked on OC.net or on other sites so dont be afraid to look around or ask it your self
Tips from a newly broken in pc builder June 2012
CPU: i-7 anything is hyper threading. (its just how the CPU crunches data and if what you run does not have it your just burning your cash and perhaps even a profomence drop) Unless you need it for one of the programs id really strongly advise you go with the i-5 3570k. The i-5 3570k is "THE" top dog in the i-5s and it has a K witch is unlocked for overclocking. Over clocking you can look up later but it runs the parts faster as if they where a step or so above what you have stock. Any who the i-5 will also be a cheaper then the i-7s. More $$$ is not always better. If you want lower temps or do any OC and dont buy a heat sink your stock heat sick will explode into a ball of flames and kill your CPU and maybe other parts too.
MOBO: get one that will fit your needs. Your going to render and most likely will SLI/Corssfire your system sooner or later so get a mobo w/ AT LEAST two PCI-e 16x slots so they will fit. Want to plug that sucker up to a HD tv to play movies? Get one with a HDMI port. Want wi-fi built in so its not eating up other slots? Then get one with it. Its all about what you want to do with it. Just make sure the CPU Soc will fit in the mobo you pick. Also when you pick RAM that the pin size will fit in the mobo too. Furture proof your self get a mobo you can grow with also.
GPU: I have a GTX 670 FTW Edition myself and love it. As for games what wont it play on Ultra. biggrin.gif As for your rendering you can get away with one 670 FTW or just normal 670 but id really recomend SLI 670s or just one 680. For the 690 is really an overkill to your wallet compaired to the 680. If you do end up going with one 670 I really think you should pay just a few more $$$ for the FTW edition.
PSU: This thing will be your bud for years if you do it right. Sure a single 670 or 680 GPU will not need a 850W PSU but you are rendering and most likely will SLI/Crossfire and will need more juice and if your like most people after your build your own you will try your hand in Overclocking and this will require more juice. Another thing is brand. Get a known brand. I think most every one will agree Seasonic is just about if not "THE" best for PSU brand around.(Corsair has Seasonic make them PSU change the name and color and charge more $$$) To buy Modular or not to buy, that is the question. If your case has a window, and its not modular, and your not David Copperfield then people will see your cords. If thats not a prob then **** it non modular. I felt the same way when I got my PSU and now im replacing it with a modular Season X850. Again future proof your self dont spend $99 now on a part then you end up replacing a year later for double the price. Also theres really good deals on newegg for modular PSU and cyber monday is almost here.
RAM: Games and rendering 8G not recomended, 16G sweet spot, 24G showing off, 32G setting the dude on fire after a point blank heat shot. The RAM needs to one, fit the pin type on the mobo and two, needs to be the right channel. So 4 4g stick is cool if your mobo is quad chanel. To save room for the furture id go with 2 8G sticks but that mean your mobo would need to be dual channel to get the most out of your RAM. Dual RAM will work in a triple channel but it wont be as efficient.
HDDs/SSDs: all about what you want out of them SSD are fast and great for booting and even better for gaming if you got the pocket for it. HDD id would not buy anything lower then 7200 RPM. also the WB red is a RAID thing.
Case: Get somthing that will fit your mobos form factor and that looks nice and has decent cooling options unless you want to make your own blow holes.
OS: I would really w8 on win 8 just saying. Id roll it back to 7 and NEVER EVER go Vista.
mouse, keybaord, speakers, and all that **** is up to your needs like before.
hope this helps man


  • CPU: Looking around, it seems like the ONLY place hyper-threading proves its worth is with editing and rendering, which is what I'm going to be doing a LOT (40-60% of the time), so I think I should stick with the 3770K...
  • Mobo: I've changed it to the Z77A-GD65 Socket LGA 1155. It looks pretty good and has 3 PCIe 3.0. However, I couldn't find many with built in WiFi, so can I just get an external card, or should I keep looking?
  • GPU: I'm not really willing to blow anything more than $400, so i'll snag the 670 FTW Edition. But I may end up SLIing in the future, and if so I should be prepared.
  • RAM: My mobo is dual channel, but has 4 slots. I'll get 2x 8GB sticks instead?
  • HD's: Yep, I know about the Red thing. I've crossed it out. I'm getting the Green one now.
  • Case: The 650D looks nice enough biggrin.gif
  • OS: My feelings exactly.
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b hax View Post

  • CPU: Looking around, it seems like the ONLY place hyper-threading proves its worth is with editing and rendering, which is what I'm going to be doing a LOT (40-60% of the time), so I think I should stick with the 3770K...
  • Mobo: I've changed it to the Z77A-GD65 Socket LGA 1155. It looks pretty good and has 3 PCIe 3.0. However, I couldn't find many with built in WiFi, so can I just get an external card, or should I keep looking?
  • GPU: I'm not really willing to blow anything more than $400, so i'll snag the 670 FTW Edition. But I may end up SLIing in the future, and if so I should be prepared.
  • RAM: My mobo is dual channel, but has 4 slots. I'll get 2x 8GB sticks instead?
  • HD's: Yep, I know about the Red thing. I've crossed it out. I'm getting the Green one now.
  • Case: The 650D looks nice enough biggrin.gif
  • OS: My feelings exactly.

cpu : ok i-7 it is then

mobo : the wifi card is not a bad pick you will pay more on that mobo for on board tho

RAM : sounds good to me

Hds : id go with the WB cav balck or cav blue black is for games and blue is a green and a black hd hybrid

case : i think so too
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Big Blue
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-3570K Ivy Bridge ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 WD Cav Blue WD My Book Essential  ASUS 24X DVD Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CORSAIR H100 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit ASUS VE 20" Steel Series Merc Stealth 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Rosewill Xtreme 850W InWin Dragon Rider White Razer Naga epic Cyber Sniper Tracer 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Cyber Acoustics 2.1 Afterglow wireless headset Thermal Star LCD fan controller, temp, 7card re... Hydra Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 53
AMD video cards have far better value and GPGPU performance (don't know why everyone is going with Nvidia...).

Take the Rosewill Capstone as PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066
Way better than the CX500 which isn't recommended by OCN.
Edited by adridu59 - 11/24/12 at 8:14am
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 53
OP, a lot of this comes down to what YOU want - we all have our biased opinions - but there are a few facts:

i7 > i5 for video editing performance
onboard wifi only matters if you want it to - I've never needed it in my desktops
either 2x 8GB or 4x 4GB is fine, and not going change performance - that's determined by the ram itself, and what you set it at in the bios (exceptions may include extreme ram OCing).


The case you want has a lot to do with what YOU want - not what others tell you.
Here's what I wanted: Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
900x900px-LL-db2cc365_DSC_3369.jpeg
900x900px-LL-a3478ccb_DSC_3372.jpeg
900x900px-LL-c5abe638_DSC_3371.jpeg
900x900px-LL-753cb2ad_DSC_3370.jpeg
The PC-Z60, and I love it. Unlike the 650D, I had to do some serious modification to watercool it - The 650D, should you decide to do so, you just bolt it in and you're done, no slicing and dicing.

And yes, I do have an insane amount of powersupply overkill. That said, I have an overclocked i7, an overclocked and unlocked 6950, and an 8800 Ultra in there, all of which sit at near 100% load 24/7, so it's not as silly as it sounds.
Edited by u3b3rg33k - 11/24/12 at 12:32pm
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Reginald
(14 items)
 
GLaDOS (v3)
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-970 @ 4.14GHz 1.350v P6T7 WS Supercomputer MSI 7970 GHz Edition HIS 6950 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
48GB Crucial Ballistix @1660MHz 9-9-9-27 Momentus XT intel 480GB 520 series INX-720 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
win7pro Soyo P-MVA 1200p 24" Dell 24" 1200p Dell 17" 4:3 (market tickers) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell Quietkey AX850 PC-Z60 Logitech G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6700 @ 3.0 (stock volts) ASUS P5WDG2-WS PRO HIS 6950 2GB turbo (unlocked) 8GB DDR2 800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
9550SX w/BBU + 4x 250GB 7.2k Raid 5 HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-H30L Kali Linux VNC (TC Rig, baby) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell QuietKey (PS2) Truepower Trio 650 Koolance PC3-420SL Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00b hax View Post

Alright, since we seem to have settled all of the issues with the initial list, I have some questions about items that were not on the list, and I'm not sure what to do about them.
  • Wires: This might sound like a stupid question, but the wires I need to connect everything. Do I need to buy them seperately?
  • Sound Card: Do I need to purchase one?
  • Tools. I already have all of the basic tools one would find in a,well, a toolbox, but do I need any special tools for the big day(s)?
You should not have to buy any cords separately

Sounds cards apparently make a big difference

You just need a screw driver, pliers and something to cut zip ties, like a wire cutter.
post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

AMD video cards have far better value and GPGPU performance (don't know why everyone is going with Nvidia...).
Take the Rosewill Capstone as PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066
Way better than the CX500 which isn't recommended by OCN.

AMD does have better GPGPU performance, but the lack of drivers pretty much negates its use. CUDA supported applications soar with NVIDIA
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(13 items)
 
Secondary Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k MSI Z77A-GD65 Gigabyte 780 OC Gigabyte 780 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Ripjaw  Samsung F3  Samsung 830  Asus CD-Rom 
CoolingMonitorMonitorPower
Cooler master hyper 212+  Asus  27in 1440p Auria EQ276W 760 Watt Silencer 
Case
Haf 912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770k ASRock Z77 Pro4-M 290 XFX DD R9 280X Gigabyte 
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R9 280X MSI Gaming R9 280X Power Cooler Crucial Ballistix  Samsung 830 series 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Black Asus 24x Windows 7 Asus 24in  
MonitorPowerCase
27in 1440p Auria CM 750 600T 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

AMD does have better GPGPU performance, but the lack of drivers pretty much negates its use. CUDA supported applications soar with NVIDIA

Most programs that support CUDA will support OpenCL too.
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › Losing My Build Virginity