Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › 7950 CF vs. 680 single card
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

7950 CF vs. 680 single card - Page 8

post #71 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Really now? Have you changed your mind then?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1327759/gtx-670-faster-than-stock-7970/20#post_18617587
Show me that Diamond card for sale somewhere and I'll admit I was wrong.

http://overstock-king.com/ProductDetail/DMGC3G7970GHZ_Diamond-Amd-Radeon-Hd-7970-Pcie-3g-Gddr5-Video-Graphics-Card-Bus-Type-Pci-Express-30-X16

http://www.diamondmm.com/7970PE53GHZ.php

funnily enough the website which is selling the card has got the specs wrong on their page. but the correct specs are in diamond's site and the model number ( 7970PE53GHZ ) can be confirmed on the website selling the card too.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Overclocking has nothing to do on whether or not a card is reference. But you're right: 7970 GE was made to win reviews, and it has done exactly that.

Like nvidia did with their dynamic boost. I dont know what you argue about because the chip is the same. Doesnt matter if its reference or not. And its not a factory oc. The card itself support official at stock this clocks.
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

http://overstock-king.com/ProductDetail/DMGC3G7970GHZ_Diamond-Amd-Radeon-Hd-7970-Pcie-3g-Gddr5-Video-Graphics-Card-Bus-Type-Pci-Express-30-X16
http://www.diamondmm.com/7970PE53GHZ.php
funnily enough the website which is selling the card has got the specs wrong on their page. but the correct specs are in diamond's site and the model number ( 7970PE53GHZ ) can be confirmed on the website selling the card too.

You say funny, I say suspicious.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarhell View Post

Like nvidia did with their dynamic boost. I dont know what you argue about because the chip is the same. Doesnt matter if its reference or not. And its not a factory oc. The card itself support official at stock this clocks.

Same chip with higher clocks from factory = factory OC.

But seriously, this has absolutely no bearing for which card one should buy. Usually the comparisons are made between reference cards, but most of the sales come from custom cards. Just saying that comparing custom cards from AMD to reference cards from Nvidia is a bit devious.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 138
@Raghu78 and tsm106


If you really took attention to what i've wrote instead of just seeing ''zomg amd suck suck suck suck nvidia ftw haha'' you would have noticed that I said that it was closer that what most people would admit. Now take a few moment to think about it.
Quote:
GeForce GTX 480

System in IDLE = 209 Watts
System with GPU in FULL Stress = 463 Watts
Difference (GPU load) = 254 Watt (TDP = 250W)

Quote:
HD 7970

System in IDLE = 180W
System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 379W
Difference (GPU load) = 199W
Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 209 Watts

Source : http://www.guru3d.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

GTX480 is a 320w max draw card. The 7950 is 180w at stock. Comparing the two, 180w vs 320w... ugh yea the math speaks for itself right? I'm using TPU numbers which are measured at the pcie plugs, not some random killawatt numbers mind you. 7950s pushed to the +20 on the TDP brings it to around 220w range. Again doing the math, cfx 7950s will still be dropping your power draw by almost a third while doubling the performance.

Looks like the GTX 480 is not using 320 wat at stock, and why on earth would you leave a 7950 at stock voltage? Most people will bump the voltage to 1.2-1.3 ish.

Here is a review of 12.11 vs 310.61

http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

If you still think that those cards are not in the same league after this, well, i'll have to come to the conclusion that you're either blind or fool. (And before you say ''but the ghz edition beat the 680!'', keep in mind that it is easier to reach 1300 core on a gtx 680 than on a hd 7970, and that you get a significant performance boost by overclocking the memory.)


EDIT : If you buy nvidia's card, as I already stated countless times, you are paying a premium for a quieter, cooler card that have more features that you may or may not care about.
Edited by splinterize - 11/27/12 at 7:17am
post #76 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by specopsFI View Post

Same chip with higher clocks from factory = factory OC.
But seriously, this has absolutely no bearing for which card one should buy. Usually the comparisons are made between reference cards, but most of the sales come from custom cards. Just saying that comparing custom cards from AMD to reference cards from Nvidia is a bit devious.
GeForce 8800 GTX - GeForce 8800 Ultra

GeForce 8800 GTS - GeForce 9800 GTX - GeForce GTS 250 1 GB

GeForce GTX 280 - GeForce GTX 285

Mean anything to you?
post #77 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post

@Raghu78 and tsm106
If you really took attention to what i've wrote instead of just seeing ''zomg amd suck suck suck suck nvidia ftw haha'' you would have noticed that I said that it was closer that what most people would admit. Now take a few moment to think about it.
Source : http://www.guru3d.com

Looks like the GTX 480 is not at stock, and why on earth would you leave a 7950 at stock voltage? Most people will bump the voltage to 1.2-1.3 ish.

Because I didn't need to, mine is at 1140/1500+ at stock power and volts. Enough for my needs.

dunx
Wee-PC
(17 items)
 
Wee black box
(13 items)
 
Boinc Box
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 - 960 Asus P6T7 WS Revolution with MIPS water blocks. XFX HD 7950 + waterblock Powercolour R9 280X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Ballistics Tracer 6 x 4Gb 2Tb WD caviar green Crucial M4 64 Gb SSD  Sony NEC DVD  
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Apogee Drive + Allphacool 180mm rad W7 Dell 29" 21:9 IPS monitor Coolermaster 1250W PSU 
CaseAudio
Antec P280 Scythe Kama Bay Speaker 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4770K Asus Impact VI HyperX beast 2400MHz 2x 8Gb WD 1Tb caviar black x3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel X-25 SSD 80 Gb Corsair H80 W7 Panasonic 32" HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseOther
Keysonic wireless Silverstone 450 W SFX PSU Fractal Design Array R2 Griffin Powermate 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 870  Asus Maximus III Formula GTX 480  HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
OCZ 4x 2Gb  WD 2TB Green Corsair H70 Dell 17"  
PowerCase
Coolermaster Silent Pro 750W NZXT Panzerbox 
  hide details  
Reply
Wee-PC
(17 items)
 
Wee black box
(13 items)
 
Boinc Box
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 - 960 Asus P6T7 WS Revolution with MIPS water blocks. XFX HD 7950 + waterblock Powercolour R9 280X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Crucial Ballistics Tracer 6 x 4Gb 2Tb WD caviar green Crucial M4 64 Gb SSD  Sony NEC DVD  
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Apogee Drive + Allphacool 180mm rad W7 Dell 29" 21:9 IPS monitor Coolermaster 1250W PSU 
CaseAudio
Antec P280 Scythe Kama Bay Speaker 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i7-4770K Asus Impact VI HyperX beast 2400MHz 2x 8Gb WD 1Tb caviar black x3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel X-25 SSD 80 Gb Corsair H80 W7 Panasonic 32" HDTV 
KeyboardPowerCaseOther
Keysonic wireless Silverstone 450 W SFX PSU Fractal Design Array R2 Griffin Powermate 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 870  Asus Maximus III Formula GTX 480  HD 5870 
RAMHard DriveCoolingMonitor
OCZ 4x 2Gb  WD 2TB Green Corsair H70 Dell 17"  
PowerCase
Coolermaster Silent Pro 750W NZXT Panzerbox 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by splinterize View Post

@Raghu78 and tsm106
Looks like the GTX 480 is not at stock, and why on earth would you leave a 7950 at stock voltage? Most people will bump the voltage to 1.2-1.3 ish.
Here is a review of 12.11 vs 310.61
http://www.techspot.com/review/603-best-graphics-cards/

so you want to compare a 1.3v voltage overclocked HD 7900 card with a stock GTX 480 to prove they are comparable. thats a miserable fail. what happens when the GTX 480 is overclocked. biggrin.gif

also HD 7970 does not need to clock as high as GTX 680 to beat it clearly.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/23/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_video_card_review/3

a GTX 680 Lightning running at 1293 Mhz gains 11% over a stock GTX 680 running at 1072 Mhz in BF3. thats a 11% gain for a 20% overclocking. guess what with the latest drivers the HD 7970 (1.05 Ghz) is beating the stock GTX 680 by 17% in BF3.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu_driver_comparison_roundup/3
Quote:
If you still think that those cards are not in the same league after this, well, i'll have to come to the conclusion that you're either blind or fool. (And before you say ''but the ghz edition beat the 680!'', keep in mind that it is easier to reach 1300 core on a gtx 680 than on a hd 7970, and that you get a significant performance boost by overclocking the memory.)

rolleyes.gif
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Reply
post #79 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryH View Post

GeForce 8800 GTX - GeForce 8800 Ultra
GeForce 8800 GTS - GeForce 9800 GTX - GeForce GTS 250 1 GB
GeForce GTX 280 - GeForce GTX 285
Mean anything to you?

Are you saying that there were no reference models of those? Because there were. For the 7970 GE, not so much. rolleyes.gif
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #80 of 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post


also HD 7970 does not need to clock as high as GTX 680 to beat it clearly.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/07/23/msi_geforce_gtx_680_lightning_video_card_review/3
a GTX 680 Lightning running at 1293 Mhz gains 11% over a stock GTX 680 running at 1072 Mhz in BF3. thats a 11% gain for a 20% overclocking.
rolleyes.gif

That's a 11% gain with 2.3% memory OC. That right there is another one of those devious pro-Tahiti tactics: ignoring the memory OC and then touting that Keplers don't scale with OC. They do, just not so much with core OC than mem OC.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Point_Of_View/GeForce_GTX_680_TGT_Ultra_4_GB/31.html

That's a 13.5% gain for a 5% core OC.
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
The Air Tunnel
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4820K (4500MHz@1.28V) P9X79 Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X New Edition Team Group Vulcan 4x4GB 2133MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
2x240GB SSD @RAID 0 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 10 Pro Corsair AX750 
CaseAudio
Rosewill Armor EVO hiFace+AudioGD+DT770Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › 7950 CF vs. 680 single card