Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › Moving RAID Array to On-board Ports
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moving RAID Array to On-board Ports

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Hey there guys got a question.

I currently have a RAID card in my computer that is responsible for a RAID1 array with two Western Digital Caviar Blacks 1TB. I want to move this array off of the card and on to the Marvel RAID chip on my board. The reason why I want to move the array is because when I put in another GPU, there won't be room for my RAID card because the fans on my top radiator will be millimeters away from the PCIe slot.

Is this possible? I have an ASRock Extreme 7 X79 motherboard. My RAID card is the HighPoint RocketRAID 620. I honestly like the RAID card I have now, the only negative side of it is the super slow online way of making RAID arrays. Thanks for the help!

Jeffinslaw
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinslaw View Post

Hey there guys got a question.
I currently have a RAID card in my computer that is responsible for a RAID1 array with two Western Digital Caviar Blacks 1TB. I want to move this array off of the card and on to the Marvel RAID chip on my board. The reason why I want to move the array is because when I put in another GPU, there won't be room for my RAID card because the fans on my top radiator will be millimeters away from the PCIe slot.
Is this possible? I have an ASRock Extreme 7 X79 motherboard. My RAID card is the HighPoint RocketRAID 620. I honestly like the RAID card I have now, the only negative side of it is the super slow online way of making RAID arrays. Thanks for the help!
Jeffinslaw

RAID 1? can't you just break the array?
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

RAID 1? can't you just break the array?

That would make sense but wouldn't it erase everything when I try to rebuild the array when on the motherboard?

Jeffinslaw
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinslaw View Post

That would make sense but wouldn't it erase everything when I try to rebuild the array when on the motherboard?
Jeffinslaw

no it won't, raid 1 is a mirror/backup, the purpose of raid 1 is is that if anything happen to one of your hard drive, you still have a second one that have the exact copy of the first one, you can throw either of the two and the remaining one will still work.
post #5 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

no it won't, raid 1 is a mirror/backup, the purpose of raid 1 is is that if anything happen to one of your hard drive, you still have a second one that have the exact copy of the first one, you can throw either of the two and the remaining one will still work.

Okay, well I will try it tonight! Thanks!

Jeffinslaw
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

no it won't, raid 1 is a mirror/backup, the purpose of raid 1 is is that if anything happen to one of your hard drive, you still have a second one that have the exact copy of the first one, you can throw either of the two and the remaining one will still work.

That more than likely will not work. If it was an Intel controller moving to an onboard intel controller, then possibly. But going from a RocketRAID to a Marvell controller, it won't work. Once it moves off that controller and you put it on another, the Marvell raid controller will probably not see the RAID, you will have to rebuild it. You are going to want to back up the data.
post #7 of 10
Thread Starter 
Can I just simply clone the data on the RAID array and then clone it back after I have rebuilt the array on the Marvel controller? The only problem is my whole User folder is on that drive. I have made a junction from my C drive to my A drive (array) where all of my User folders are.

Jeffinslaw
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
MurderMac
(1 item)
 
Schwarz Nickel
(11 items)
 
Project mATX
(11 items)
 
Case
Apple Power Mac G5 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Xeon E5 2660 V1 ASUS Rampage Gene X79 PNY GTX 970 PNY GTX 970 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Klevv Fit 16GB SanDisk 120GB Extreme SSD Custom EK Watercooling Loop Windows 10 
MonitorPowerCase
Dell U1525H SilverStone 600w SFX Project mATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post

That more than likely will not work. If it was an Intel controller moving to an onboard intel controller, then possibly. But going from a RocketRAID to a Marvell controller, it won't work. Once it moves off that controller and you put it on another, the Marvell raid controller will probably not see the RAID, you will have to rebuild it. You are going to want to back up the data.
Yup, the RAID metadata is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffinslaw View Post

Can I just simply clone the data on the RAID array and then clone it back after I have rebuilt the array on the Marvel controller? The only problem is my whole User folder is on that drive. I have made a junction from my C drive to my A drive (array) where all of my User folders are.
Jeffinslaw
You can boot into another OS and clone (not copy) the partitions from one array to another. Then physically remove the old array.... it should work.



Note, avoid using the A: and B: partitions in the future.... certain programs and functions have those hard coded for legacy reasons.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post

That more than likely will not work. If it was an Intel controller moving to an onboard intel controller, then possibly. But going from a RocketRAID to a Marvell controller, it won't work. Once it moves off that controller and you put it on another, the Marvell raid controller will probably not see the RAID, you will have to rebuild it. You are going to want to back up the data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Yup, the RAID metadata is different.
You can boot into another OS and clone (not copy) the partitions from one array to another. Then physically remove the old array.... it should work.
Note, avoid using the A: and B: partitions in the future.... certain programs and functions have those hard coded for legacy reasons.

you both serious? can't you simply break the RAID 1 and plug one of the HDDs to the onboard ports?
Edited by ghostrider85 - 11/27/12 at 11:48am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider85 View Post

you both serious? can't you simply break the RAID 1 and plug one of the HDDs to the onboard ports?

No, RAID places metadata on the drives. This is because if the controller dies... you just have to plug your drive into another compatible controller and it will work. RAID1 is not just a copy of data on both drives. The controller must mark which drives are in RAID1 together.

Do you have independent data or relation-dependent/OS data on the drives? If it is independent data, you can just copy/move the files from array 1 to array 2 within the OS.
Edited by DuckieHo - 11/27/12 at 12:21pm
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › RAID Controllers and Software › Moving RAID Array to On-board Ports