Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Ars] Windows 8 sales are good, if not great, at 40 million copies in the first month.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Ars] Windows 8 sales are good, if not great, at 40 million copies in the first month. - Page 11

post #101 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

I'd say the sales prove a point. Which shows that again it's just a minority of people that dislike it.

Depends on how you count "sales" actually.

If you are buying a new PC and don't have a choice, that isn't exactly as "good a sale" as if you were given a choice and people picked what they really wanted.

To a lesser degree, that would be like saying that if Dell sold 30 million computers and they installed without giving the buyer the option a copy of Super Mega Solitaire, that means that Super Mega Solitaire is a success.
post #102 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Bold: Quite the opinion you have there. Anyone can claim someone is uninformed, proving it is another situation in its own right.

I'd say it's more of a fact.

40 million copies in the first month isn't exactly a fail.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #103 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Depends on how you count "sales" actually.
If you are buying a new PC and don't have a choice, that isn't exactly as "good a sale" as if you were given a choice and people picked what they really wanted.
To a lesser degree, that would be like saying that if Dell sold 30 million computers and they installed without giving the buyer the option a copy of Super Mega Solitaire, that means that Super Mega Solitaire is a success.

Yea but since the same rules applied to Windows 7, that means Windows 7 must have been a flop too.

Wait...is that Windows 7 I see in your system build? tongue.gif
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Bold: Quite the opinion you have there. Anyone can claim someone is uninformed, proving it is another situation in its own right.

I'd say it's more of a fact.

40 million copies in the first month isn't exactly a fail.

Yeah, they were able to sell to a little less than 4% of computer owners, assuming they were actually sold to them and not just distributors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Bold: Quite the opinion you have there. Anyone can claim someone is uninformed, proving it is another situation in its own right.

I'd say the sales prove a point. Which shows that again it's just a minority of people that dislike it.

4% is a minority.
post #105 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Depends on how you count "sales" actually.
If you are buying a new PC and don't have a choice, that isn't exactly as "good a sale" as if you were given a choice and people picked what they really wanted.
To a lesser degree, that would be like saying that if Dell sold 30 million computers and they installed without giving the buyer the option a copy of Super Mega Solitaire, that means that Super Mega Solitaire is a success.

Yea but since the same rules applied to Windows 7, that means Windows 7 must have been a flop too.

Wait...is that Windows 7 I see in your system build? tongue.gif

WIndows 7 sold better as far as I know.
post #106 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

WIndows 7 sold better as far as I know.

So what you're saying is you didn't read the article and you came in here to blindly hate Windows 8.

If you bothered to read it you would see it said Windows 7 sold 60 million in 10 weeks, Windows 8 has sold 40 million in 5 weeks.
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
An Angry Robot
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3570k Asus P8Z77-V Pro Asus Strix 1070 G Skill Trident 2400mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 500gb SSD x 1tb HDD Samsung External Corsair H100i Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Catleap Q270 Acer Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid (reds) Corsair 750HX 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 540 Logitech G600 XFX Warpad Asus Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

WIndows 7 sold better as far as I know.

So what you're saying is you didn't read the article and you came in here to blindly hate Windows 8.

If you bothered to read it you would see it said Windows 7 sold 60 million in 10 weeks, Windows 8 has sold 40 million in 5 weeks.

Wow, learn some damn respect, kid.
I never said I hate Windows 8. And OBVIOUSLY I did read the article. 40mil / 1bil computer owners compared to 2009 30mil sales. It does seem like WIndows 7 is still slightly ahead.
So nice insulting me, please, go learn respect before you get in trouble.
post #108 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal7trance View Post

Yea but since the same rules applied to Windows 7, that means Windows 7 must have been a flop too.
Wait...is that Windows 7 I see in your system build? tongue.gif

Windows 7 cost more money and people bought it in high numbers. If Windows 8 hadn't've been £/$30 who's to say it would've sold so well?
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
The Riginator
(20 items)
 
 
Wife's Rig
(5 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Qualcomm Snapdragon S600 Adreno 330 2GB LPDDR3 NAND Storage 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 32GB MicroSD Android 4.4.2 KitKat 5 inch (441ppi) 1080x1920 Super AMOLED SwiftKey 
Power
2600mAh Battery 
  hide details  
Reply
post #109 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Yeah, they were able to sell to a little less than 4% of computer owners, assuming they were actually sold to them and not just distributors.
4% is a minority.

Windows 7 also sold just under 4% of computer owners.

This website says
Quote:
According to a report by Forrester Research, there were over one billion PCs in use worldwide by the end of 2008

Almost 4 years ago. Lets assume that now it's at around 1.25 billion currently in use.

Currently 3.2% of PC owners have a copy of Windows 8.
In the first month of Windows 7 launching Microsoft sold 4.8%

Obviously it is more, but what does the percentage have to be before it isn't classes as a "fail"

Personally I would say at least 20%

By the way, the 40 million copies includes OEMs just like the 60 million sales of Windows 7 in the first month.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R5 1600 Asus PRIME B350 PLUS  AMD Radeon HD7950 16GB Corsair Vengence (2x8GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
1TB WD Blue 500GB WD Blue 120GB Hitachi Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
LG 32LD450 Dell Ducky DK9008 OCN Edition Corsair TX650v2 
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #110 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews2547 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post

Yeah, they were able to sell to a little less than 4% of computer owners, assuming they were actually sold to them and not just distributors.
4% is a minority.

Windows 7 also sold just under 4% of computer owners.

This website says
Quote:
According to a report by Forrester Research, there were over one billion PCs in use worldwide by the end of 2008

Almost 4 years ago. Lets assume that now it's at around 1.25 billion currently in use.

Currently 3.2% of PC owners have a copy of Windows 8.
In the first month of Windows 7 launching Microsoft sold 4.8%

Obviously it is more, but what does the percentage have to be before it isn't classes as a "fail"

Personally I would say at least 20%

By the way, the 40 million copies includes OEMs just like the 60 million sales of Windows 7 in the first month.

Thank you.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [Ars] Windows 8 sales are good, if not great, at 40 million copies in the first month.