Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Corsair Dominator vs G.Skill HZ
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Corsair Dominator vs G.Skill HZ - Page 2

Poll Results: Dominator or HZ? *READ THREAD BEFORE VOTING*

 
  • 47% (24)
    Corsair Dominator PC2-6400 CAS4 2x1Gb (£219)
  • 52% (27)
    G.Skill HZ PC2-6400 CAS4 2x1Gb (£240)
51 Total Votes  
post #11 of 59
Thread Starter 
Guys, voting G.Skill because its good is just silly.

I KNOW the HZ is good.

But is the Dominator As-good-as, or better?

If its atleast as-good-as i'll get it, because its cheaper.

TBH, ill probably end up getting the dominator just for that reason anyway, and because the damn G.Skill is out of stock

Considering its the Dominator series that has a PC2-8888 version, it should OC pretty damn well.

AFAIK, all the Dominator series use the same Micron D9 ICs. I guess when they test them, they choose the VERY best ICs for the PC2-8888.

Also, the PC2-8500 and PC2-8888 use those timings and speeds at 2T command rate instead of 1T. maybe that is what makes a big difference?

2.5~3 more weeks and i'll know.
2011 ~ Current
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro B3.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW+ G.Skill 8GB RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB 1TB WD Black Samsung WriteMaster Prolima Tech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home ViewSonic 22" VX2260wm Saitek Eclipse II Seasonic X-660 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ThermalTake Armor Silver Logitech G5 Razer Goliathus Speed Asus Xonar D1 
Audio
Logitech Z523 
  hide details  
Reply
2011 ~ Current
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600K Asus P8P67 Pro B3.0 EVGA GTX970 FTW+ G.Skill 8GB RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB 1TB WD Black Samsung WriteMaster Prolima Tech Megahalems 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Home ViewSonic 22" VX2260wm Saitek Eclipse II Seasonic X-660 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
ThermalTake Armor Silver Logitech G5 Razer Goliathus Speed Asus Xonar D1 
Audio
Logitech Z523 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 59
They all use the D9 chips, just G.Skill has been proven to be good and the Corsair's haven't.

I personally love the Team ram I have. Currently DDR2-1000 5-5-5-12 @ 2.1V
MSI Wind
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Intel® 945GSE+ICH7M UMA 1GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorCase
80GB N/A 10" 1024x600 MSI Wind 
  hide details  
Reply
MSI Wind
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Atom 1.6Ghz Intel® 945GSE+ICH7M UMA 1GB DDR2-667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorCase
80GB N/A 10" 1024x600 MSI Wind 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 59
Dominator. Hand-picked chips, and it's cheaper. Plus the active cooling thing is nice as an option.
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8120 Gigabyte XA990-UD3 Gigabyte GTX670 Windforce III G. Skill RipJaws 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 Western Digital Blue LG Dual Layer Sata Antec Kuhler 920 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Dell 2007wfp 20.1" Logitech G710+ Corsair Professional HX650 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster Silencio Steelseries Sensei [RAW] Func F10.s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 59
Yes the dominators are as good. Get them for they are cheaper!
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 59
I love the look of the black G.Skill heatspreaders. They were my original choice when they were £180 for a 2gb kit. Now they're £240, I'm getting some GeIL which is ~£90 cheaper and should perform quite good.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1GHz ASus P5K-E XFX HD5750 2x2GB Team Elite PC6400 + 2x2GB G.Skill Pi Series. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB 7200.10 + 160gb WD Windows Vista x64 SP1 Dell SP23" something W. Saitek USB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Something or other. Beige ATX Mid Case Belkin GLOWY Optical None 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6750 @ 3.1GHz ASus P5K-E XFX HD5750 2x2GB Team Elite PC6400 + 2x2GB G.Skill Pi Series. 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB 7200.10 + 160gb WD Windows Vista x64 SP1 Dell SP23" something W. Saitek USB 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
750W Something or other. Beige ATX Mid Case Belkin GLOWY Optical None 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom View Post
You'll never really get a why, people see the words "G.Skill" and automatically side with it ignoring everything else in process, it's always the same thing =/

Example below
http://www.overclock.net/intel-memory/132109-ddr2.html
G.Skill RAM is in fact better: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=101762

No one is ignoring whatever is it that you think people is ignoring. G.Skill is good and you can't prove otherwise.

And NOT all Dominator are created equal, only the $600 kit are hand picked D9s, the rest is just what "it could've been".

Sladesurfer did 529mhz on a 4-4-4-12, I'm doing 4-4-4-8 @ 500mhz and lots of folks are happy with the G.Skill in that thread above.

boredom, it's obvious you've never had G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ but we have and had.

As for the Dominator, the 800 4-4-4-12 kit may not even have good D9s or not even at all (maybe PROMOS), the 1066 kit and 1111 kit do have D9s, look at the "version" and you'll see that the 800 are v2.1 while the 1066 and 1111 are v1.2 and v1.1 which means D9s but the 1.1 are hand picked of course, so here a list of the Vx.x and their meaning of either Micron, Elpida or Promos: scroll down to about 3/4 of the page for DDR2 specs ICs.

I certainly wouldn't go for the Corsair now. I thought about it till I saw that last night.

G.Skill FTW!
post #17 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
Yay! D9? So?

Quote:
No one is ignoring whatever is it that you think people is ignoring. G.Skill is good and you can't prove otherwise.
Nobody is saying that G.Skill is terrible, it's just that in certain scenarios they shouldn't be recommended, like this one and the one I linked too. I'm willing to bet a good portion of the people who in this and the last one one voted for G.Skill did so based on the name only and not on what it actually does

Quote:
And NOT all Dominator are created equal, only the $600 kit are hand picked D9s, the rest is just what "it could've been".
Same can be said for the HZ =/

Quote:
Sladesurfer did 529mhz on a 4-4-4-12, I'm doing 4-4-4-8 @ 5000mhz and lots of folks are happy with the G.Skill in that thread above.

boredom, it's obvious you've never had G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ but we have and had.
Sladesurfer deserves a pat on the back for getting a good kit but most, if not all D9's, do 1000mhz at 4-4-4-8 anyway

I don't have to own the HZ to know that it's the same damn D9GMH chips that are in the Dominator series

Quote:
As for the Dominator, the 800 4-4-4-12 kit may not even have good D9s or not even at all (maybe PROMOS), the 1066 kit and 1111 kit do have D9s, look at the "version" and you'll see that the 800 are v2.1 while the 1066 and 1111 are v1.2 and v1.1 which means D9s but the 1.1 are hand picked of course, so here a list of the Vx.x and their meaning of either Micron, Elpida or Promos: scroll down to about 3/4 of the page for DDR2 specs ICs.

I certainly wouldn't go for the Corsair now. I thought about it till I saw that last night.
The CL5 Dominator's are listed as Promos, the CL4 as Micron

Quote:
G.Skill FTW!
More like, Fanboyism FTW!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 148 DFI Ultra-D EVGA 7600GT KO 2x512mb Patriot LLK(TCCD) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung SP2504C XP SP2 17" CRT Zippy GSM-6600P 600W 
Case
Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 148 DFI Ultra-D EVGA 7600GT KO 2x512mb Patriot LLK(TCCD) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung SP2504C XP SP2 17" CRT Zippy GSM-6600P 600W 
Case
Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
G.Skill RAM is in fact better: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=101762

No one is ignoring whatever is it that you think people is ignoring. G.Skill is good and you can't prove otherwise.

And NOT all Dominator are created equal, only the $600 kit are hand picked D9s, the rest is just what "it could've been".

Sladesurfer did 529mhz on a 4-4-4-12, I'm doing 4-4-4-8 @ 5000mhz and lots of folks are happy with the G.Skill in that thread above.

boredom, it's obvious you've never had G.Skill DDR2 800 HZ but we have and had.

As for the Dominator, the 800 4-4-4-12 kit may not even have good D9s or not even at all (maybe PROMOS), the 1066 kit and 1111 kit do have D9s, look at the "version" and you'll see that the 800 are v2.1 while the 1066 and 1111 are v1.2 and v1.1 which means D9s but the 1.1 are hand picked of course, so here a list of the Vx.x and their meaning of either Micron, Elpida or Promos: scroll down to about 3/4 of the page for DDR2 specs ICs.

I certainly wouldn't go for the Corsair now. I thought about it till I saw that last night.

G.Skill FTW!
HOLY JESUS!!!! New world record!
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Gamer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 Asus M5A99FX-Pro MSI GTX980 Gaming Crucial Ballistix 4x4gb 1934mhz @ 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung Evo 500GB Thermaltake Water 2.0 Windows 10 LG 27" 4k 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Huntkey X7 900w Thermaltake Urban S31 Logitech G500 Rocketfish Knockoff of Razer propad 
Audio
Logitech Z5500 & G430 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 59
boredom; in which or what case scenario we shouldn't be recommending the best memory kit, such as the G.Skill DDR2 800HZ?
I mean should we recommend the ones that we never heard about it and are not sure about it such the buffalo 800 kit which now they probably no longer have the D9s as previously "though"? CAS 4 and CAS 5 should have a big different.

The HZ have good D9s as many are hitting high frequencies with low latencies, Dominator modules are a class of their own which come in 3 flavors whereas the HZ is only one and a good one from what everyone can see.
You seem to have missed the V2.1, V1.1 and V1.2 which the 1.1 and 1.2 are Rev D and that's the D9GMH that we all want but you have to pay the price. v2.1 are or could be PROMOS.

Yes, all D9s can/could do 1000mhz except you seem to forget that the link that you once posted was for D9s (Crucial 10th ann) hitting 1000mhz on a 2.40v and required active cooling and G.Skill HZ do not require none of that.
Here, fine someone requiring active cooling for their HZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom View Post
More like, Fanboyism FTW!
Not really, I've had 4 kits of DDR2 and so far the G.Skill have been the best, so why wouldn't I say they're the best? Obviously you have no clue because you have no experience at all whatsoever with DDR2 and probably have never own a kit yourself. Know what I mean?.

So, I don't see why you say it's fanboyism? Now, should I said shut your beak because you have no clue what you're talking about every time you recommend or suggest on DDR2? You tell me.

Fanboyism or not, I know why "WE" who are voting for the G.Skill are the better kit than the Corsair. Do you? I didn't think so.
post #20 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasgul View Post
boredom; in which or what case scenario we shouldn't be recommending the best memory kit, such as the G.Skill DDR2 800HZ?
This thread is a perfect example, the HZ are £20 more than the Dominator, which in US it $38. You'd be paying more for the same as I've yet to see any proof that the HZ are handpicked or that they're "binned better" (to quote you) than any other brand. I also have yet to see evidence that the HZ D9GMH are the "best memory kit" on the market<--I'd like to see you prove that one =)

Quote:
I mean should we recommend the ones that we never heard about it and are not sure about it such the buffalo 800 kit which now they probably no longer have the D9s as previously "though"? CAS 4 and CAS 5 should have a big different.
The only way for Buffalo to make it into the enthusiast market is to offer the same as the more known brands at a cheaper price. You claiming they don't use D9's anymore is nothing more than speculation, so unless you have evidence you should stop claiming so

Quote:
The HZ have good D9s as many are hitting high frequencies with low latencies, Dominator modules are a class of their own which come in 3 flavors whereas the HZ is only one and a good one from what everyone can see.
You seem to have missed the V2.1, V1.1 and V1.2 which the 1.1 and 1.2 are Rev D and that's the D9GMH that we all want but you have to pay the price. v2.1 are or could be PROMOS.
CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v2.1 0643019-3 = PROMOS 800MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CM2X512-6400C4 XMS6404V2.1 0643057-5 =PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CM2X512-6400C4 XMS6404V2.1 0638115-1 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v2.1 0644020-5 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v2.2 0645284-8 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CM2X1024-6400C4D XMS6404v1.1 0645065-1 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-533 CL4, Rev D
CM2XP1024-6400C4 6404v1.1 0635044-1 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-533 CL4, Rev D
CM2X1024-6400C4 6404V2.1 0635221-22 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, .09u 64Mx8
CMX1024-6400C4 6404V2.1 0636063-3 = PROMOS 667MHZ, CL5, 0.09u 64Mx8
CM2X1024-6400C4 6404v1.1 0626099-3 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-667 CL5, Rev D
CM2X1024-6400C4 6404v1.2 0620097-1 = Micron, 64Mx8, 2-667 CL5, Rev D

He listed the CL4 version

Quote:
Yes, all D9s can/could do 1000mhz except you seem to forget that the link that you once posted was for D9s (Crucial 10th ann) hitting 1000mhz on a 2.40v and required active cooling and G.Skill HZ do not require none of that.
Here, fine someone requiring active cooling for their HZ.
I've looked through that thread before, plenty of people there are using 2.4v without active cooling to get to 1000mhz+

Quote:
Not really, I've had 4 kits of DDR2 and so far the G.Skill have been the best, so why wouldn't I say they're the best? Obviously you have no clue because you have no experience at all whatsoever with DDR2 and probably have never own a kit yourself. Know what I mean?.
Aside from your personal experience with one/two brands of D9GMH, what proof do you have that they're the best available on the market?

I have never owned a kit yet but that is not needed when you forums like XS, which I read a lot. Anyway, I'm upgrading my rig soon and the RAM on the top of my list is Team Group D9GMH, and not because they're team but because they're the cheapest available

Quote:
So, I don't see why you say it's fanboyism? Now, should I said shut your beak because you have no clue what you're talking about every time you recommend or suggest on DDR2? You tell me.
It's fanboyism because you discredit everything that is not G.Skill right off the bat. You did it for Crucial, Buffalo, and now Corsair

Quote:
Fanboyism or not, I know why "WE" who are voting for the G.Skill are the better kit than the Corsair. Do you? I didn't think so.
I'm not saying the Corsair are better, I'm saying they're equal to the G.Skill
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 148 DFI Ultra-D EVGA 7600GT KO 2x512mb Patriot LLK(TCCD) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung SP2504C XP SP2 17" CRT Zippy GSM-6600P 600W 
Case
Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Opteron 148 DFI Ultra-D EVGA 7600GT KO 2x512mb Patriot LLK(TCCD) 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
250GB Samsung SP2504C XP SP2 17" CRT Zippy GSM-6600P 600W 
Case
Centurion 5 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Corsair Dominator vs G.Skill HZ