Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Motherboard for stable 8350 5.0Ghz
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Motherboard for stable 8350 5.0Ghz

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Hey all!

So I have a friend (Father's colleague) who's building a new 8350 CPU rig and he needs a motherboard for a stable 5Ghz overclock. He's throwing me a few $$s to do the research for him, as he's a very busy man.

His budget isn't THAT open so something in the $100 - $140 range would be best.

Features / Rear I/O isn't important to him, all he cares about is the overclocking ability.

Any help will be much appreciated, thanks! biggrin.gif
post #2 of 14
used sabertooth perhaps?

or an MIR sabertooth.

(im from england, sorry)

If not, The gigabyte UD3 could hit that depending on chip ect.

Asrock extreme 4 also (bear in mind its an 970 chipset not 990FX)

thumb.gif
Edited by Noctizzle - 11/30/12 at 3:02am
post #3 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctizzle View Post

used sabertooth perhaps?
or an MIR sabertooth.
(im from england, sorry)
If not, The gigabyte UD3 could hit that depending on chip ect.
Asrock extreme 4 also (bear in mind its an 970 chipset not 990FX)
thumb.gif
The Sabertooth is some cheap foxconn rubbish that is brown. Don't fall for it. It is recommended by AMD to use a 990fx chipset with a 8350. In my sig you can find a list with the amd mobos (vrm info database) and their vrm count. Take a 8+2/4 board. There is one 12+4 board from Asrock but don't let it fool you because it's just doubled the vrm count which means nothing.
Edited by noobhell - 11/30/12 at 3:12am
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

The Sabertooth is some cheap foxconn rubbish that is brown. Don't fall for it. It is recommended by AMD to use a 990fx chipset with a 8350. In my sig you can find a list with the amd mobos and their vrm count. Take a 8+2/4 board. There is one 12+4 board from Asrock but don't let it fool you because it's just doubled the vrm count which means nothing.

?? the sabertooth is one of the better boards out there, and for the price you can't complain
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctizzle View Post

?? the sabertooth is one of the better boards out there, and for the price you can't complain
Just because it's brown and looks cool doesn't mean it's sturdy. Really, you can get better quality from another manufacturer and a better price. Only if you want status you buy a Sabertooth.
post #6 of 14
With that budget hit up racer86 about his crosshair V for $140. Cant get any better.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

Just because it's brown and looks cool doesn't mean it's sturdy. Really, you can get better quality from another manufacturer and a better price. Only if you want status you buy a Sabertooth.

I never said it looked cool. I dont like the looks at all, it looks like an oldschool motherboard... he wanted a board that can get him a 5.0 overclock, the sabertooth is one that can do that. I even listed other Boards as alternatives.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctizzle View Post

I never said it looked cool. I dont like the looks at all, it looks like an oldschool motherboard... he wanted a board that can get him a 5.0 overclock, the sabertooth is one that can do that. I even listed other Boards as alternatives.
Yeah OK. The Sabertooth is just a big bluff and that was what I was trying to say. The ud3 could easily get up to 5ghz and it costs less. Also other boards like the Sapphire Pure Black 990fx are great for overclocking.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
I've decided on the UD3. Thanks so much for all the help! thumb.gif
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobhell View Post

Yeah OK. The Sabertooth is just a big bluff and that was what I was trying to say. The ud3 could easily get up to 5ghz and it costs less. Also other boards like the Sapphire Pure Black 990fx are great for overclocking.

We are talking about the ASUS Sabertooth here not? Well firstly it is a 990FX as you stated earlier post about AMD Recommendation 990FX, plus it has 8+2 Phase VRM, as for O/C the 8350 @5Ghz 24/7 good luck it needs a whack full of Volts to keep it at that speed and proper water-cooling will be needed to keep its temps safe. From most posts I have seen 4.6-4.8Ghz is pretty much the norm I have mine at 4.6Ghz at comfortable Volts could go higher but really needs much more Volts not worth killing the CPU in the end.

And how is the ASUS Sabertooth related in anyway to Foxconn other than the CPU sockets that they supply to most Mobo manufacturers, I would like a link if this is the case for proof.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › Motherboard for stable 8350 5.0Ghz