Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › PSU wattage?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PSU wattage? - Page 2

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Because I am a 13 year old idiot and have never built a computer before thumb.gif
post #12 of 15
there is a HUGE difference between high quality PSU and regular everyday junk you see in your typical DELL box. a high quality PSU actually put out the specified wattage w/o any problems. while those junk $30 PSU's you pick up at CompUSA cant even power a flashlight reliably biggrin.gif

for a typical gaming build with a single GPU, a high quality 450W PSU is already way overkill since most of the time you wont be pulling more then 300w during your gaming session. occasionally it might spike up to 350W but it doesn't draw that much for long.

the problem with cheap junk PSU is they KNOW you never draw that much anyway so they just put the fake wattage on there to try to make the sale. alot of the time you'll see some 300W PSU being advertised as a 650W PSU biggrin.gif also the tolerances of the high quality PSU are much tighter then the cheap junk. a high quality PSU will stay within ATX specifications regardless of how much power your system is drawing (up to the rated wattage) while the cheap PSU's has a hard time staying within ATX spec's even at very low draw.
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

there is a HUGE difference between high quality PSU and regular everyday junk you see in your typical DELL box.

Actually they've gotten a lot better. In fact their higher wattage units used in Precision workstations and Alienware gaming rigs can rival enthusiast PSUs in quality and output.

You're thinking of the PSUs found in consumer level $300 computers in B&M stores. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

the problem with cheap junk PSU is they KNOW you never draw that much anyway so they just put the fake wattage on there to try to make the sale. alot of the time you'll see some 300W PSU being advertised as a 650W PSU biggrin.gif also the tolerances of the high quality PSU are much tighter then the cheap junk. a high quality PSU will stay within ATX specifications regardless of how much power your system is drawing (up to the rated wattage) while the cheap PSU's has a hard time staying within ATX spec's even at very low draw.

Great timing on this discussion. This was just posted today.
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post

Actually they've gotten a lot better. In fact their higher wattage units used in Precision workstations and Alienware gaming rigs can rival enthusiast PSUs in quality and output.
You're thinking of the PSUs found in consumer level $300 computers in B&M stores. tongue.gif

well... yes Dell ALSO make server and workstations and those AREN'T junk... same can be said about compaq servers vs compaq consumer products... i used to use a precision 690 (dual Xeon workstation with registered ECC RAM) as my home machine so I know the quality of the stuff that's inside that box... it's not junk and it works well... but it's NOT a typical PC you buy for your house biggrin.gif

what you are saying isn't exactly a fair comparison is it? it's like saying a FORD race car like the Roush mustangs they run in the 24hr's of Daytona has ANYTHING to do with the mustang they sell in the showroom floor biggrin.gif
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyclum View Post

what you are saying isn't exactly a fair comparison is it? it's like saying a FORD race car like the Roush mustangs they run in the 24hr's of Daytona has ANYTHING to do with the mustang they sell in the showroom floor biggrin.gif

What I said is as fair as your catch-all "Dell PSUs suck." wink.gif

Actually, even their cheapest units don't suck too badly these days. I would trust those a lot more than the cheap crap like the review I linked. I'm sure Dell doesn't like RMAs, so they probably make sure that their PSUs will last the specified system at least 3 years (typical extended warranty they push, which companies try to make 100% profit on). Will they stand up to the likes of high end enthusiast units? No. Will they put out what they claim on the label and within ATX spec? Probably pretty close, and a heck of a lot better than the cheap junk that can't even put out half of the claimed output.
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › PSU wattage?