As promised, here are some pictures of the "learning" fan with the ceramic paint. You can see how it clumps up, and then it will then stick to just about anything. This was after it had dried for 2 hours (well past the safe handling curing time given by the manufacturer). You can see where I sanded it and how it just came in clumps and stuck all over the place, mainly inside the area that makes contact with the motor when the fan is in the frame. You can also see some areas on the back where I tried to wipe spots clean right after spraying, and it doesn't work so well like with other sprays. It is almost instantly tacky and course, so wiping just streaks it all over the place and makes it pretty much ruined aesthetically (at least for a fan like this where I can't get in there to clean it up properly even if I wanted to try). To me, $16 for another fan is worth the headache saved trying to salvage it.
I tried my best to get decent shots of the problem areas, and hopefully you can see what I am talking about. If not, just let me know and I'll try to get better pictures of it.
I also took some shots of how I am tearing down and prepping the fans. This isn't the whole process, but you get to see my little "work station", the parts involved and how I store them as well as my make shift "paint room" (aka, the lanai and cardboard boxes
).The set up.The retainer clips and wiring fasteners.Spring for the fans.This is the "paint room" where I put my skills to use. Finished fan blade (Front side).Finished fan blade (Back side).The tool.The area I'll be cutting to allow room for the sleeve to fit through snugly (This is the part I was talking about Mandrix).
And since people keep telling me that I live in paradise, here is a couple of shots from my backyard of where I live. I wouldn't call it paradise. Most people think of Hawaii and think everything is gorgeous. While some parts may be, I don't think where I live is even close to that, but you can decide for yourself.