Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Please teach or show me to OC my i7-920 P6T
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Please teach or show me to OC my i7-920 P6T - Page 2

post #11 of 31
Thread Starter 
I'm running a cool master V8 heats ink. I don't know if that's a good or decent cooler.

I believe my QPI voltage is set at 1.33125. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Is it a must to run prime95 or just a recommendation?
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouasupra View Post

I'm running a cool master V8 heats ink. I don't know if that's a good or decent cooler.

It's alright, should be good for a 3.6~3.8 overclock depending on the chip.
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
Ti-89 Titanium
(13 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Motorola 68k @16 MHz Ti-89 HW4 256 KB 2.6 MB Flash ROM 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Ti-89 OS 3.10 LCD Dot-Matrix 160x100 4x 1.5V AAA Ti-89 HW4 Black 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core™ i7 930 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC G.Skill RX 2x4GB 1600C8 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
PNY Prevail Elite 120GB Hitachi 7K1000.C 1TB LG GH24LS50 Noctua NH-C12P SE14 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8 Pro x64 Lubuntu 13.10 x64 Samsung BX2250 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Be Quiet! S.P. E⁷ 600W Fractal Design Core 3000 Logitech G300 AKG K240 Studio 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 31
The QPI voltage is in the right range.
I would say its a must to run prime95 because without stressing the system you have no way to tell if your stable and what voltages to change to correct that.
post #14 of 31
QPI voltage looks alright, you may be able to lower it but I never tried running 24gb in my old system (same CPU and motherboard as you have). For 12gb at 1600mhz I only need it at 1.2v. Only when I started overclocking my RAM did I need to raise it.
I'd try to use a 19x CPU multiplier and the highest BCLK you can manage. 20x is impossible to get stable in my experience, and the P6T doesn't play nice with a 21x multiplier. It has a rather annoying feature where once certain parameters are met (some combination of vcore and temperature it seems) it'll throttle to 20x. When it runs 20x because of this throttling it is stable, but I prefer my system not downclocking under load. The highest frequency you can reach with a 19x multiplier is ~4.2ghz since these chips have a hard limit of ~221 BCLK. It's not actually the BCLK that's the problem here but some other component, I think QPI link, that can not go over 4ghz and only a few boards allow you to set a multiplier that keeps it below 4ghz when using a BCLK higher than 221.

I don't know how good that cooler is, but if temperature is going to be your limiting factor your sweet spot will probably be around 3.8ghz. I've found that my chip will do that with 1.2vcore in BIOS (less in actual use since I never used LLC on X58), while anything higher than that will require pretty big bumps in vcore which of course lead to higher temperatures. In fact you can leave pretty much everything on auto/minimal settings, for 19*200 I just set 1.2 for both vcore and QPI (you may need higher for QPI since you have twice the RAM), set DRAM voltage to whatever your RAM is rated at, and set most other voltages to their minimal values (leaving them on auto is fine too). The 200 multiplier allows you to run your RAM at its rated speed so you don't have to lower its multiplier or mess with timings/QPI voltage if it ends up higher.
Definitely run Prime95 or some other program to test stability, unstable systems are no fun. Even if you don't do anything critical on your system, it's still annoying as hell when your pc locks up during a game or something.
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adridu59 View Post

It's alright, should be good for a 3.6~3.8 overclock depending on the chip.

My goal is right in that range. thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancor View Post

The QPI voltage is in the right range.
I would say its a must to run prime95 because without stressing the system you have no way to tell if your stable and what voltages to change to correct that.

I will run prime95 as you guys stated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonnis View Post

QPI voltage looks alright, you may be able to lower it but I never tried running 24gb in my old system (same CPU and motherboard as you have). For 12gb at 1600mhz I only need it at 1.2v. Only when I started overclocking my RAM did I need to raise it.
I'd try to use a 19x CPU multiplier and the highest BCLK you can manage. 20x is impossible to get stable in my experience, and the P6T doesn't play nice with a 21x multiplier. It has a rather annoying feature where once certain parameters are met (some combination of vcore and temperature it seems) it'll throttle to 20x. When it runs 20x because of this throttling it is stable, but I prefer my system not downclocking under load. The highest frequency you can reach with a 19x multiplier is ~4.2ghz since these chips have a hard limit of ~221 BCLK. It's not actually the BCLK that's the problem here but some other component, I think QPI link, that can not go over 4ghz and only a few boards allow you to set a multiplier that keeps it below 4ghz when using a BCLK higher than 221.
I don't know how good that cooler is, but if temperature is going to be your limiting factor your sweet spot will probably be around 3.8ghz. I've found that my chip will do that with 1.2vcore in BIOS (less in actual use since I never used LLC on X58), while anything higher than that will require pretty big bumps in vcore which of course lead to higher temperatures. In fact you can leave pretty much everything on auto/minimal settings, for 19*200 I just set 1.2 for both vcore and QPI (you may need higher for QPI since you have twice the RAM), set DRAM voltage to whatever your RAM is rated at, and set most other voltages to their minimal values (leaving them on auto is fine too). The 200 multiplier allows you to run your RAM at its rated speed so you don't have to lower its multiplier or mess with timings/QPI voltage if it ends up higher.
Definitely run Prime95 or some other program to test stability, unstable systems are no fun. Even if you don't do anything critical on your system, it's still annoying as hell when your pc locks up during a game or something.

Thank you for the vital information. 24GB but only 16GB is usable according to window 7 64bit home premium. I'll try 19x with a bclk of 200 which will give me 3.8 if it's usable enough. How long does prime95 run for?
post #16 of 31
Thread Starter 
Just got done watching a prime95 video on YT. I guess he recommends 12-24 hours. Here's another question.

Do I run a "blend" mode or "custom" mode or the stress test? Thanks in advance! biggrin.gif
post #17 of 31
It wouldn't be a bad idea to run each test for a couple of hours, but running blend or custom blend with full memory minus 1gb for the OS (so 15gb in your case) is fine, a lot of people only run blend for 12-24 hours and call it a day.
Personally I always run this for 24 hours when doing a final stability test (meaning I won't push the overclock further and am just trying to find the lowest voltages for my frequency) but 12 hours should give you a good indication. That said I have had errors after 17 hours, but a system can appear rock stable in any other scenario and BSOD within minutes of starting a program like Prime95 or ITB. How long you run it for depends on how stable you want to be and how long you're willing to keep it running.
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 31
Thread Starter 
Makes sense. I'll try out prime95 tomorrow with blend mode. I'll start out with 19x with bclk 190. I don't play game on my system, but rather use it for photography and video editing work only. biggrin.gif
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kouasupra View Post

Makes sense. I'll try out prime95 tomorrow with blend mode. I'll start out with 19x with bclk 190. I don't play game on my system, but rather use it for photography and video editing work only. biggrin.gif
In that case I'd say system stability is even more important, video editing should stress the CPU more than games. Good luck.smile.gif
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
Beestje 2.0
(20 items)
 
Beestje 1.5
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 3820 Sabertooth X79 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 ASUS GeForce GTX 680 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung low profile x4 OCZ Vertex 3 Crucial M4 Samsung HD103SJ 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Lite-On BD drive Megahalems rev. B Cooler Master Excalibur Windows 7 home premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VG278H Logitech G710+ Corsair TX750 Silverstone Raven 2 Evolution 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Corsair M60 Razer Kabuto Echo Audiofire 2 Sennheiser HD515 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 Asus P6T Club3d HD7870 royalKing Corsair Dominator 3x4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial V4 128GB Seagate Barracuda LP 2TB LG GH22LS Scythe Mugen 2b 
CoolingCoolingMonitorKeyboard
CM Excalibur x2 CM R4 x3 Samsung BX2450 Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic M12 II 520 Antec 600 Microsoft Intellimouse Razer Kabuto 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 31
Thread Starter 
Thank you vonnis. smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Please teach or show me to OC my i7-920 P6T