Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Tech Report] Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Tech Report] Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited - Page 16  

post #151 of 745
I'll buy the arguments that the 7950 beats the 660ti handily at max OC's (although they also cost more). But I'm here to say that I'll challenge any air-cooled 7950 user to a bench-off against my 670. I will stipulate that I will lose at Crysis/WH and Metro2033, so no need to bench those two (although I will if you'd like). You will also need to match my CPU clock of 4.0, however you can use any i7 quad you like. Tests are to be done maxed at 1080p or 1200p.

We can do any of the free benchmarks out there, as I have most of them already. I also own Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2, which have built-in benches.

Feel free to name your test. We're going max OC here, of course. Here's some suggestions of benchies I have handy:

3dMark11
3dMark Vantage
Stalker Call of Pripyat or Clear Sky
Lost Planet 2
Any of the Unigine tests (Heaven, Tropics, Sanctuary)
Crysis 2 (using the 3rd party benching tool)
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 2
Metro2033
Crysis or Warhead
Batman Arkham Asylum

If I don't respond to your post, please PM me. I'm going to Rook Island for a bit wink.gif

Let me just also say Raghu, thanks for staying out of the forums I'm responsible for with your obsession to prove that Tahiti > Kepler, which has been going strong for, what, 6 months straight now?
Edited by brettjv - 12/5/12 at 9:16pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
post #152 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post


Let me just also say Raghu, thanks for staying out of the forums I'm responsible for with your obsession to prove that Tahiti > Kepler, which has been going strong for, what, 6 months straight now?


Almost sig worthy lol.

lmaosmiley.gif
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
post #153 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

What? headscratch.gif
The average OC on the 7950 is lower than the average OC on a 660TI, so in your head that means the 7950 has a higher OC ceiling? Explain your rational plz.

It's because the 7950 is starting from a lower base. Percentage-wise they overclock much better, even though the actual clockspeeds are lower.
post #154 of 745
Wow this thread has way too many fanboys. It's pretty obvious that the issue lies in AMDs Windows 8 drivers. I don't understand how you could get mad at TechReport for that.

He tested new games that most people will be buying (not fossils like metro and crysis which people hardly play anymore) and he tested it on a new operating system which more and more people will be switching to as they buy new components or rebuild their PCs. I own a 7970 and if anything i'm looking at AMD to fix their W8 drivers because that's what will fix the issue, not raging at an article on the interwebs.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
post #155 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post

I'll buy the arguments that the 7950 beats the 660ti handily at max OC's (although they also cost more). But I'm here to say that I'll challenge any air-cooled 7950 user to a bench-off against my 670. I will stipulate that I will lose at Crysis/WH and Metro2033, so no need to bench those two (although I will if you'd like). You will also need to match my CPU clock of 4.0, however you can use any i7 quad you like. Tests are to be done maxed at 1080p or 1200p.
We can do any of the free benchmarks out there, as I have most of them already. I also own Far Cry 2 and Just Cause 2, which have built-in benches.
Feel free to name your test. We're going max OC here, of course. Here's some suggestions of benchies I have handy:
3dMark11
3dMark Vantage
Stalker Call of Pripyat or Clear Sky
Lost Planet 2
Any of the Unigine tests (Heaven, Tropics, Sanctuary)
Crysis 2 (using the 3rd party benching tool)
Just Cause 2
Far Cry 2
Metro2033
Crysis or Warhead
Batman Arkham Asylum
If I don't respond to your post, please PM me. I'm going to Rook Island for a bit wink.gif
Let me just also say Raghu, thanks for staying out of the forums I'm responsible for with your obsession to prove that Tahiti > Kepler, which has been going strong for, what, 6 months straight now?

you are welcome to a benchmark faceoff. the guy who should be able to respond to your benches is bruennis. he can bench his Gigabyte HD 7950 at 1200 Mhz and you can bench at 1300 Mhz if you feel thats a fair representation of the average overclocks on air for the respective cards. if you want all out max is ok he can bench at 1275 Mhz against whatever you max out.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
post #156 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post

you are welcome to a benchmark faceoff. the guy who should be able to respond to your benches is bruennis. he can bench his Gigabyte HD 7950 at 1200 Mhz and you can bench at 1300 Mhz if you feel thats a fair representation of the average overclocks on air for the respective cards. if you want all out max is ok he can bench at 1275 Mhz against whatever you max out.

I feel like you're trying to involve someone who may not want to get caught up in this sort of fanboy war
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
New and Shiny
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Rynze 7 1700 ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Sapphire HD7950 G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C14D 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Kingston HyperX 3K Crucial MX300 Western Digital Black Western Digital Green 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Red Noctua NH-U14S Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P2414H Ducky One Corsair RM650x NZXT H440 White 
MouseAudio
Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Xonar DX 
  hide details  
post #157 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoxile View Post

I feel like you're trying to involve someone who may not want to get caught up in this sort of fanboy war

to the contrary bruennis moved from a GTX 680 Lightning (1372 mhz) to a ASUS HD 7950 Matrix (1320 Mhz). he also has a Gigabyte HD 7950(1280 Mhz). he has been very outspoken that his gigabye hd 7950 was faster than gtx 680 lightning at the clocks mentioned above.
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
Fragbox
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2400 DH67BL AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series XFX HD 6950 2GB 
RAMRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Corsair Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Corsair DDR3 1333 Mhz 2 GB Western Digital Caviar Green SONY DVD-RW AD-7260S 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit BENQ G2420HD Logitech K200 Seasonic VX550 psu 
CaseMouse
ANTEC 200 V2 Logitech mouse 
  hide details  
post #158 of 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu78 View Post


to the contrary bruennis moved from a GTX 680 Lightning (1372 mhz) to a ASUS HD 7950 Matrix (1320 Mhz). he also has a Gigabyte HD 7950(1280 Mhz). he has been very outspoken that his gigabye hd 7950 was faster than gtx 680 lightning at the clocks mentioned above.

What card do you sport raghu78? After all these posts and no system specs?

"How to put your Rig in your Sig"
     
  hide details  
     
  hide details  
post #159 of 745
Agreed... something is definitely not right.

Definitely interested in other benches.
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
 
Play Server
(10 items)
 
NAS
(14 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Intel Xeon L5640 Dell R710 Mobo Hynix 144GB DDR3 ECC PC3L-10600R 
Hard DrivePowerCaseOther
Intel X25-M G2 80GB Redundant 840W PSU Dell 710 2.5" - Google Search Appliance Dell Perc H700 Raid Controller 
OtherOther
Dell iDRAC6 Enterprise Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb SFP+ NIC 
CPUCPUMotherboardRAM
Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 Intel Xeon E5-2670 v1 SuperMicro X9DRL-iF 64GB Kingston ECC (kvr16r11d4/16HA) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
12x 4TB HGST 5K4000 SanDisk SSD 960GB (cache) 6x 8TB WD Red Scythe AP-29 
CoolingOSPowerCase
2x Noctua U9DXi4 FreeNAS Corsair AX750 Norco RPC-4224 
OtherOther
3x LSI 9211-8i (HBA) Mellanox Connectx-2 10Gb NIC 
  hide details  
post #160 of 745
and lot of people are saying that 7850 is faster than 660 non ti when overclocked highly. is that true as well ? or is the 660 faster than 7850 overclocked or not ?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G630 @2.7ghz Gigabyte H61M-DS2 Gigabyte GT730 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB LG  Stock Intel Windows 7 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900 Intex Corona Spillproof Antec BP450PS iBall Axton 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G300S Gaming mice None Philips SHP2000 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium G630 @2.7ghz Gigabyte H61M-DS2 Gigabyte GT730 1GB GDDR5 Kingston 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Blue 1TB LG  Stock Intel Windows 7 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E2014H 20" 1600*900 Intex Corona Spillproof Antec BP450PS iBall Axton 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G300S Gaming mice None Philips SHP2000 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [The Tech Report] Radeon HD 7950 vs. GeForce GTX 660 Ti revisited