Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Build Log] OREO BLITZ!!! (Merlin SM8 Water Cooled/ First Build EVER)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] OREO BLITZ!!! (Merlin SM8 Water Cooled/ First Build EVER) - Page 4

post #31 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoria59 View Post

yeah i need to do the same! go ahead and post them on here man or pm me if you like. ill draw some up as well, maybe you can inspire me!?!?!?!
my whole issue will be rather uniquely trying to decide the placement of my multiple reservoirs after that is figured out im just going for cleanest look possible...


Honestly, I think 1 250mm tube res looks quite perfect in a SM8, but everyone has their own opinions on that of course. I'll go grab my thumb drive and upload the pics for you in a minute. Also, feel free to use the diagrams as a template for your own (they are MS Pain). I did them to scale (by millimeter...every mm was 1 pixel in paint for each component, so it should be extremely accurate for the most part). I'll edit this when I get back with the pics.



Edit for diagrams:

Option 1


Option 2


Option 3



Template



For the loops with the 480's up top, the actual orientation of the rad may be off slightly horizontally if you are using the drop in mount (I didn't know what the offset was the for the drop in, so I stuck with the standard mounting position option from CL). The power supply dimensions is for a corsair AX1200, so adjust the length of that as needed depending on your particular power supply length. I also included just a template with the mobo/cpu/gpu's/power supply so you can add your dimensions and components without having to actually delete a bunch of things. Other than that, everything should be pretty close to accurate in a SM8 and everything is labeled for you so you can figure out sizes/dimensions etc. Hope this helps you some in your design and loop implementation, enjoy!


Regards,
Addiction
Edited by Addiction - 12/12/12 at 9:23pm
Calamity
(27 items)
 
Catastrophe
(17 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Calamity
(27 items)
 
Catastrophe
(17 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 140
Nice parts so far. Im thinking out my build to nice to see so many other sM8 logs.
post #33 of 140
Thread Starter 
alright a little treat for you guys... more like a tease...














So i decided to get started and of course wanted to focus on the overall fitting first. i spent a long time trying to figure out how to mount my res in the case without drilling because i realized the attachment plate from caselabs comes with no holes in it.. of course all the fan cases i bought as well as drive bay holding devices, and fan cover plates all had the wrong hole orientations and would not work with accessory bar.....

i finally nutted up and decided that if i was gonna do this whole computer building thing right for the first time, i had to go big!! i ran over to the local ace hardware and bought a power drill and bits, some white electrical tape and some industrial velcro...

tried out the velcro cause i was a little ***** to use a power drill on my new case(never done this **** beofre), and realized that that velcro was a real copout and likely not strong enough to hold my near 1liter capacity reservoir....

so put the safety goggles on(aviators) and went at it like a champ!!

i must say it turned out beautifully and is straight as a mofo! im damn proud needless to say...

unfortunately ive got to take a break so shortly after starting and finishing finals frown.gif
going up to visit family for the weekend after work tomorrow and then ill be building all next week and updating...

over the weekend i will add some drawings and get your guy's opinion on my layout and loop order!

thanks guys! and btw I think im already addicted to this building stuff and i haven't even gotten to good stuff tongue.gif
Edited by jmoria59 - 12/13/12 at 5:59pm
post #34 of 140
I was eyeing the Merlin aswell. It has the modularity case labs is known for without the massiveness of the magnum line. Good luck
Hummingbird
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core i5-2500K, 3.30 GHz EVGA Z68 FTW E-ATX Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, 2GB DiRT 3 Edition G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2 x 4GB - 2133 (PC3 17... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Crucial M4 128 GB SSD  Corsair H80 Windows 8 6bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backligh... Seasonic x860 Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
Hummingbird
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core i5-2500K, 3.30 GHz EVGA Z68 FTW E-ATX Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, 2GB DiRT 3 Edition G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2 x 4GB - 2133 (PC3 17... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Crucial M4 128 GB SSD  Corsair H80 Windows 8 6bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backligh... Seasonic x860 Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoria59 View Post

alright a little treat for you guys... more like a tease... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)












Rad looks good man! Great size for the build thumb.gif
post #36 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khepira View Post

Rad looks good man! Great size for the build thumb.gif
Rad? Where? I see a res in those pics. wink.gif
Does look good though OP, I like the way you mounted it.
post #37 of 140
Thread Starter 
thanks guys really appreciate it! unfortunately i ended up leaving early for vacation so the build is gonna be on hold till after the break and new year... frown.gif

my nixeus vue 27" monitor has been delayed several times but was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so im having the ups hold it at location until im back in town.. that was the last component i was waiting for so at this point, i have everything i need...(doubt it..)

this is going to be very noob but ive watched several videos on basic steps to building pc and im just wondering what steps you guys take first to building these watercooled beasts?
particularly where do i start? what things do you guys typically like to start with when building from scratch?

I have my whole layout planned, so Im more just trying to plan out the steps which im going to take to build this thing. Luckily i have an awesome case to make this easy(drop in mounts, infinite customization, sliding motherboard tray, etc)

What I was thinking was to start mounting my 5.25 bays and decide how i like those to be set up. Then will hook all the goodies up on the mobo tray outside the case and test the components i guess??
Then planning on installing fans on rads and putting in case and hooking up psu. Then installing all the fittings and tubing and proceeding with leak testing...

One thing im really not sure of is if I can test the 680's w/o water on them? As I purchased the hydro copper edition they already have blocks installed, so is it ok to hook them up and test them on test bench w/o water?

Sorry I sound so noobish, but i really am haha. But dont worry im entirely capable of getting this thing together correctly and intend on making it look very very nice!

Thanks for the help
post #38 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoria59 View Post

thanks guys really appreciate it! unfortunately i ended up leaving early for vacation so the build is gonna be on hold till after the break and new year... frown.gif
my nixeus vue 27" monitor has been delayed several times but was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so im having the ups hold it at location until im back in town.. that was the last component i was waiting for so at this point, i have everything i need...(doubt it..)
this is going to be very noob but ive watched several videos on basic steps to building pc and im just wondering what steps you guys take first to building these watercooled beasts?
particularly where do i start? what things do you guys typically like to start with when building from scratch?
I have my whole layout planned, so Im more just trying to plan out the steps which im going to take to build this thing. Luckily i have an awesome case to make this easy(drop in mounts, infinite customization, sliding motherboard tray, etc)
What I was thinking was to start mounting my 5.25 bays and decide how i like those to be set up. Then will hook all the goodies up on the mobo tray outside the case and test the components i guess??
Then planning on installing fans on rads and putting in case and hooking up psu. Then installing all the fittings and tubing and proceeding with leak testing...
One thing im really not sure of is if I can test the 680's w/o water on them? As I purchased the hydro copper edition they already have blocks installed, so is it ok to hook them up and test them on test bench w/o water?
Sorry I sound so noobish, but i really am haha. But dont worry im entirely capable of getting this thing together correctly and intend on making it look very very nice!
Thanks for the help



everyone will say the same 1 thing. even though you have it layed out, install all the major compoents first, radiators blocks res and pump and then see what types of fittings you need and what angle.
Hummingbird
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core i5-2500K, 3.30 GHz EVGA Z68 FTW E-ATX Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, 2GB DiRT 3 Edition G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2 x 4GB - 2133 (PC3 17... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Crucial M4 128 GB SSD  Corsair H80 Windows 8 6bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backligh... Seasonic x860 Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
Hummingbird
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel® Core i5-2500K, 3.30 GHz EVGA Z68 FTW E-ATX Sapphire Radeon HD 6950, 2GB DiRT 3 Edition G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 2 x 4GB - 2133 (PC3 17... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Crucial M4 128 GB SSD  Corsair H80 Windows 8 6bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backligh... Seasonic x860 Corsair Carbide 500R Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoria59 View Post

thanks guys really appreciate it! unfortunately i ended up leaving early for vacation so the build is gonna be on hold till after the break and new year... frown.gif
my nixeus vue 27" monitor has been delayed several times but was scheduled to be delivered tomorrow, so im having the ups hold it at location until im back in town.. that was the last component i was waiting for so at this point, i have everything i need...(doubt it..)
this is going to be very noob but ive watched several videos on basic steps to building pc and im just wondering what steps you guys take first to building these watercooled beasts?
particularly where do i start? what things do you guys typically like to start with when building from scratch?
I have my whole layout planned, so Im more just trying to plan out the steps which im going to take to build this thing. Luckily i have an awesome case to make this easy(drop in mounts, infinite customization, sliding motherboard tray, etc)
What I was thinking was to start mounting my 5.25 bays and decide how i like those to be set up. Then will hook all the goodies up on the mobo tray outside the case and test the components i guess??
Then planning on installing fans on rads and putting in case and hooking up psu. Then installing all the fittings and tubing and proceeding with leak testing...
One thing im really not sure of is if I can test the 680's w/o water on them? As I purchased the hydro copper edition they already have blocks installed, so is it ok to hook them up and test them on test bench w/o water?
Sorry I sound so noobish, but i really am haha. But dont worry im entirely capable of getting this thing together correctly and intend on making it look very very nice!
Thanks for the help


Look up Newegg's "How to Build a PC" series on youtube. It doesn't go into water cooling, but if you listen to Simplynicko's advice above, and follow the basic tutorial that Paul has, you should be good to go. thumb.gifthumb.gif
Calamity
(27 items)
 
Catastrophe
(17 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Calamity
(27 items)
 
Catastrophe
(17 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCModderMike View Post

Rad? Where? I see a res in those pics. wink.gif
Does look good though OP, I like the way you mounted it.

Haha yes, it was quite late here when I was posting that! thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › [Build Log] OREO BLITZ!!! (Merlin SM8 Water Cooled/ First Build EVER)