Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Need an opinion from someone who has used both an fx 6100 AND a phenom ii x4 965
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need an opinion from someone who has used both an fx 6100 AND a phenom ii x4 965

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
preferably at stock speeds.

Some questions:
1. Which did you prefer and why?
2. Which was better in gaming? In multitasking?
3. What are some strengths and weaknesses of both?

I have seen a great number of good reviews for the 6100 saying, "Don't listen to the people calling this 'faildozer'. You have to take it for a spin yourself to see what this can do." Basically lots of reviews that counter what seems to be the generally accepted idea that Bulldozer is junk.

I have even seen videos of people with the same video card (560 ti) getting 50-60 fps on BF3 multiplayer 1080p on ultra settings (while recording with fraps) with the 6100 at stock speeds, while the phenom barely manages to chug along at 30. Same with Skyrim AND Witcher 2.

Nevertheless, I know the phenom ii x4 965 is a tried and true budget cpu, with innumerable fantastic reviews, and I am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt depending on what I hear from you guys in this thread.


So I'm looking for someone who has first hand experience with both of these processors and can give an honest and accurate judgement of how they compare to each other.
post #2 of 12
What do I prefer, to be honest, Phenom. Mainly because I enjoy the single threaded benefits.

Gaming, both feel the same to be perfectly honest with you, as far as fps goes practically identical for me.
Multitasking? The FX, this is what its best at smile.gif

Strengths and weakness, hmm
FX - very good multitasking, runs cool at stock, fine for a mixture of all tasks you want to do. Plus its new, newer instructions means it can handle things better than the Phenom cannot. Price is a bonus. Suffers from throttling though because it doesn't have enough bandwidth.
Phenom - Yes its good at multitasking, much better single threaded. It doesn't throttle like the FX does because it has IMC bandwidth for each core dies, rather than the shared architecture the FX has. Phenoms are very cheap now, and for me, it overclocks higher than my FX-6100 ever did. Core to core performance, Phenom wins here.

The newer FX (Vishera!) are the way to go if you want to upgrade. For me, bulldozer doesn't cut it compared to the phenom era.

Phenoms are getting older because they don't support newer technologies, this is why FX jumps ahead. Run older technologies with the FX compared to the Phenom and PHII chips will do much better.

So basically, both have good and bad points because of their era and purely based on architecture for me smile.gif I do like both for different reasons.
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

What do I prefer, to be honest, Phenom. Mainly because I enjoy the single threaded benefits.
Gaming, both feel the same to be perfectly honest with you, as far as fps goes practically identical for me.
Multitasking? The FX, this is what its best at smile.gif
Strengths and weakness, hmm
FX - very good multitasking, runs cool at stock, fine for a mixture of all tasks you want to do. Plus its new, newer instructions means it can handle things better than the Phenom cannot. Price is a bonus. Suffers from throttling though because it doesn't have enough bandwidth.
Phenom - Yes its good at multitasking, much better single threaded. It doesn't throttle like the FX does because it has IMC bandwidth for each core dies, rather than the shared architecture the FX has. Phenoms are very cheap now, and for me, it overclocks higher than my FX-6100 ever did. Core to core performance, Phenom wins here.
The newer FX (Vishera!) are the way to go if you want to upgrade. For me, bulldozer doesn't cut it compared to the phenom era.
Phenoms are getting older because they don't support newer technologies, this is why FX jumps ahead. Run older technologies with the FX compared to the Phenom and PHII chips will do much better.
So basically, both have good and bad points because of their era and purely based on architecture for me smile.gif I do like both for different reasons.

Thank you for this fantastic reply. This is exactly what I was looking for! Its given me a lot to think about too.. So basically in gaming, I won't notice much difference between them? I'm looking to start up a youtube channel with some games and whatnot, so what about recording? Would I benefit at all from the additional "cores" that the 6100 comes with, or will the stronger 4 true cores of the phenom 965 be enough to handle fraps and most games?

Also, yes I have definitely considered Vishera and would get a 6300 without a second thought, except that there aren't really any motherboards that are GUARANTEED to support it out of the box at this point, at least not in my budget range. And I'm building on a time crunch, so I can't afford to send the mobo back to have its bios updated : /
Plus this is my first build, so the fewer unexpected "surprises" (such as the mobo bios not supporting my cpu) the better.
post #4 of 12
An overclocked 965 would do wonders compared to the FX. If your budget cannot take you to Vishera I would wait. Bulldozer wasn't a failure though, it was a new architecture that AMD didn't perfect. Vishera is a step up though.

FX 6100 is a tri-core with basically hyperthreading, but the way its designed means it may throttle if you put it under heavy load. But, what I can say is I have used fraps with Battlefield 3 and it was fine, yes my card is only a HD 6850 put in intensive areas it coped well. I do run at a lower resolution which means the CPU should work harder and it copes.

What is your motherboard? Deneb is good at gaming, but if you need the extra umf Thuban is a nice way to go, the X6s which are cheap now and to be honest is near the same performance as the FX-8120 (depending on what model you get).

Personally I would wait to see what Steamroller will bring out, because there are still some issues with Piledriver at the moment. But as you said, most motherboards do need an update for Piledriver.

True core may benefit more because you can dedicate one whole core for fraps and use the other cores for gaming. The X6s would be best at this.

Wait till other people comment to give you a better feel of FX and Phenoms, as I am only one opinion and experience of these chips smile.gif

But I can say, I upgraded to a Phenom II x6, which is cheaper and better than the FX-6100 in almost all situations. If the FX-6300 is just as cheap as an X6 phenom I would point towards the FX.

Can't you use your chip to update the BIOS? All AM3+ boards support phenoms straight out now.
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

An overclocked 965 would do wonders compared to the FX. If your budget cannot take you to Vishera I would wait. Bulldozer wasn't a failure though, it was a new architecture that AMD didn't perfect. Vishera is a step up though.
FX 6100 is a tri-core with basically hyperthreading, but the way its designed means it may throttle if you put it under heavy load. But, what I can say is I have used fraps with Battlefield 3 and it was fine, yes my card is only a HD 6850 put in intensive areas it coped well. I do run at a lower resolution which means the CPU should work harder and it copes.
What is your motherboard? Deneb is good at gaming, but if you need the extra umf Thuban is a nice way to go, the X6s which are cheap now and to be honest is near the same performance as the FX-8120 (depending on what model you get).
Personally I would wait to see what Steamroller will bring out, because there are still some issues with Piledriver at the moment. But as you said, most motherboards do need an update for Piledriver.
True core may benefit more because you can dedicate one whole core for fraps and use the other cores for gaming. The X6s would be best at this.
Wait till other people comment to give you a better feel of FX and Phenoms, as I am only one opinion and experience of these chips smile.gif
But I can say, I upgraded to a Phenom II x6, which is cheaper and better than the FX-6100 in almost all situations. If the FX-6300 is just as cheap as an X6 phenom I would point towards the FX.
Can't you use your chip to update the BIOS? All AM3+ boards support phenoms straight out now.

I forgot to mention, I don't have a motherboard right now. This is going to be my first build (I'm not upgrading) and I am on a fairly tight budget. Trying to keep the processor at a maximum of 120 or so. I could stretch for an fx 6300, but then I'd also have to spend 30-40 more on a motherboard that would probably have the 1.6 bios update.

The only x6 in my budget is the 1045T, and I feel like I'd be a lot better off with the phenom ii x4 965, since its stock speed is a lot higher.
post #6 of 12
In that case, I would personally buy a decent motherboard (which we will help you decent) and overclock the 1045T by a bit. Mine can hit 1100T speeds at stock voltages. It's a very good chip mind you smile.gif

If you do get a decent board and the 1045T, you may be able to spend the rest of cooling equipment for it and overclock it over its stock speeds which you'll greatly benefit from.

Personally, I love my 1045T, not sure why, but it overclocks much better than my FX-6100 smile.gif
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post

In that case, I would personally buy a decent motherboard (which we will help you decent) and overclock the 1045T by a bit. Mine can hit 1100T speeds at stock voltages. It's a very good chip mind you smile.gif
If you do get a decent board and the 1045T, you may be able to spend the rest of cooling equipment for it and overclock it over its stock speeds which you'll greatly benefit from.
Personally, I love my 1045T, not sure why, but it overclocks much better than my FX-6100 smile.gif

all right, thank you for the recommendation! smile.gif
post #8 of 12
No problem always happy to help.

If you need any advise on what motherboard, cooler, chip or anything post back and we will give a helping hand smile.gif
post #9 of 12
I have an FX6100 and an unlocked Phenom II B55 (pretty much like a 965). both have a stockspeed of 3.3ghz.

1. Which did you prefer and why?
I preferred the FX6100 because it ran cooler and was faster at video rendering and video conversion which is part of my job.

2. Which was better in gaming? In multitasking?
I cant answer this because both rigs have different games and OS.

3. What are some strengths and weaknesses of both?

FX6100 strengths:
Lower temperatures on the same Hyper212+ heatsink
Safe to overclock even on 3+1 phase motherboard, provided you have vrm cooling and dont go overboard with vcore.
Low Vcore of 1.39 needed for 4ghz stable

FX6100 weakness:
Stock speed is slow compared to the phenom, dont buy this if you wont overclock to at least 4Ghz.

Phenom B55 strengths:
Better IPC so its fast out of the box without overclocking

Phenom B55 weakness:
High TDP, dont buy this if you wont get a board with high phase count.
Rabasu i7-3770K
(13 items)
 
Rabasu FX6100
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ECS H77H2-M3 MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB OC 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW stock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Coolermaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 4.0 Ghz 6-core Asus M5A78L-MLX3 AM3+ Powercolor HD7730 1GB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW CoolerMaster Hyper212+ with 2x140mm Deepcool UF140 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 / Mint x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Aerocool Strike-X 500watts CoolerMaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
A8 7410 2.5Ghz Radeon R5 M335 2GB 4GB DDR3L 1 TB HDD 
OSCase
Windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 5455 
  hide details  
Reply
Rabasu i7-3770K
(13 items)
 
Rabasu FX6100
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770K ECS H77H2-M3 MSI RX 580 Armor 8GB OC 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW stock 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Seasonic M12II Evo 620W Coolermaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 4.0 Ghz 6-core Asus M5A78L-MLX3 AM3+ Powercolor HD7730 1GB DDR5 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate 1TB Seagate 1TB Sony DVDRW CoolerMaster Hyper212+ with 2x140mm Deepcool UF140 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 x64 / Mint x64 BenQ E2220 1080p Aerocool Strike-X 500watts CoolerMaster Elite 430 
Mouse
A4tech X7 710BH 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
A8 7410 2.5Ghz Radeon R5 M335 2GB 4GB DDR3L 1 TB HDD 
OSCase
Windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 5455 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
That's strange, I found my Thuban was actually cooler than my FX.

Also, the FX needs quality phases, its power hungry. You can overclock a Phenom on a quality 4+1 board.

Also I have found overclocking the Phenom much easier, I can hit 4Ghz with 1.380 vcore. All chips are different.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
  • Need an opinion from someone who has used both an fx 6100 AND a phenom ii x4 965
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Need an opinion from someone who has used both an fx 6100 AND a phenom ii x4 965