Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Like it or not, nonreplaceable CPUs may be the future of desktops
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Like it or not, nonreplaceable CPUs may be the future of desktops

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/11/like-it-or-not-nonreplaceable-cpus-may-be-the-future-of-desktops/

Yeah ... burning a chip then having to replace the entire motherboard? rolleyes.gif

The ending makes me quite sad. What's worse is I'll probably live long enough to see modular systems die if it ever happens.

What do you guys think? redface.gif
post #2 of 9
that was posted on Nov 29 and while i don't know if its true hexus posted an article on Dec 8 that says Intel contacted maxium pc and told them they will be making lga CPU's for the foreseeable future

http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/49017-intel-continue-making-socketed-cpus-foreseeable-future/
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H GeForce GTX 680  Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD30EZRX x2 Intel 520 SSD LG Bluray Burner WH12LS39 x2 Fully Liquid Cooled 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro Qnix QX2710 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 BF4 Edition Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Switch 810 Gunmetal G700s Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H GeForce GTX 680  Crucial Ballistix Elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD30EZRX x2 Intel 520 SSD LG Bluray Burner WH12LS39 x2 Fully Liquid Cooled 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Pro Qnix QX2710 Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 BF4 Edition Corsair AX760 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Switch 810 Gunmetal G700s Steelseries 4HD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocool135 View Post

that was posted on Nov 29 and while i don't know if its true hexus posted an article on Dec 8 that says Intel contacted maxium pc and told them they will be making lga CPU's for the foreseeable future
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/49017-intel-continue-making-socketed-cpus-foreseeable-future/

Didn't notice the date, apparently, I'm always the last one to catch up on things like this. frown.gif
Yes, but the thing is it says foreseeable future.
post #4 of 9
My coworker told me about that. I just built my new system and I don't know how I feel about this. I guess we just have to be ok with it if that's the direction things are going.
post #5 of 9
Well obviously no company knows what they're going to be doing in 100 years, they can't make a promise for eternity. So foreseeable future fits.

Lastly, I'd change over to the dark side and start using AMD if it ever came to that.
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
One day it'll be quantum computers and we'll look at our rigs and be like 'wow im old, i built one of those'.
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by nooboc2012 View Post

... I'd change over to the dark side and start using AMD if it ever came to that.

Though this was funny since I considered my change to Intel "changing to the dark side" lol

As far as the mobo/cpu all in one setup; it'd be suicide for intel to do something like that. Think about all the money they make from people who upgrade CPU's. If they make it so you have to by a new board along with it, the price goes up and demand goes down. Then what about mother board manufacturers. How are they gonna fair when they have to start making more variations of boards to accommodate a wide rage of customers. I mean just look at all the various configurations of build on this site alone. They'll have to make, for example a Core i7 "low, mid and high" board at least not to mention an mATX, ATX, ITX, etc versions and even still leave some people stuck in between having to settle for something else. And like nooboc said, people are gonna start going over to AMD...that is if they ever make a chip set that supports PCIe 3.0 rolleyes.gif. In short, I just don't see this happening. ...but companies have made stupid decisions in the past
Bahamut
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus M5A99FX PRO EVGA GTX 960 4GB SSC ACX +2.0 Corsair Vengence LP DDR3-1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Kingston V300 Kingston V300 Kingston V300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Corsair Force GT Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional Linux Ubuntu 16.04 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Samsung S24D300H 24" LED 1080p  AOC E2060SWD 20" LED 19" Acer LCD 1400X900 Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard w/Blue LED 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Grandpower 850w Antec P380 Azio LED Gaming Mouse Isignia Gaming Pad 
AudioOther
Sades Audio SA-901 7.1 Surround Headphones RainMeter 
  hide details  
Reply
Bahamut
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX8350 Asus M5A99FX PRO EVGA GTX 960 4GB SSC ACX +2.0 Corsair Vengence LP DDR3-1600 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Kingston V300 Kingston V300 Kingston V300 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Corsair Force GT Corsair H100i Windows 10 Professional Linux Ubuntu 16.04 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Samsung S24D300H 24" LED 1080p  AOC E2060SWD 20" LED 19" Acer LCD 1400X900 Corsair K70 Mechanical Keyboard w/Blue LED 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Grandpower 850w Antec P380 Azio LED Gaming Mouse Isignia Gaming Pad 
AudioOther
Sades Audio SA-901 7.1 Surround Headphones RainMeter 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownshiftArtist View Post

Though this was funny since I considered my change to Intel "changing to the dark side" lol
As far as the mobo/cpu all in one setup; it'd be suicide for intel to do something like that. Think about all the money they make from people who upgrade CPU's. If they make it so you have to by a new board along with it, the price goes up and demand goes down. Then what about mother board manufacturers. How are they gonna fair when they have to start making more variations of boards to accommodate a wide rage of customers. I mean just look at all the various configurations of build on this site alone. They'll have to make, for example a Core i7 "low, mid and high" board at least not to mention an mATX, ATX, ITX, etc versions and even still leave some people stuck in between having to settle for something else. And like nooboc said, people are gonna start going over to AMD...that is if they ever make a chip set that supports PCIe 3.0 rolleyes.gif. In short, I just don't see this happening. ...but companies have made stupid decisions in the past

yeah good point. slow brain i have. rolleyes.gif
post #9 of 9
If they both did it, it would be back to consoles for 100% gaming as opposed to casually playing it on weekends.
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Bandaids
(15 items)
 
  
MotherboardGraphicsHard DriveOptical Drive
Asrock Z77 Extreme 6 GTX 580 WD 10EALX ASUS DRW 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Havik 140 Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VH228T Toshiba 32RV600A 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Compaq S2021a Microsoft Wired Keyboard 600 Aero Cool Strike X 1100w Asus Antec 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Mionix Ensis 320 Creative 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Like it or not, nonreplaceable CPUs may be the future of desktops