Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Goodbye fellow members, my last post at OCN
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Goodbye fellow members, my last post at OCN - Page 17  

post #161 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny View Post

Taeric? Chozart?
Please come back, OCN needs you.

Along with Arsenik. I got goosebumps reading their aliases again. I miss those days dearly.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q8400 DFI LP DK P45-T2RS eVGA GTX 650 Kingston 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2.8TB Total LG Super DVD Burner SATA VII Enterprise x64 Gateway FHD2401 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair VX550W NZXT Source 210 White Logitech G400 Razer Kabuto 
Audio
Creative Audigy 
  hide details  
post #162 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that's not legal and therefore, invalid.
So if I post photos here they become the exclusive property of OCN? Bullcrap. They're mine, I own the copyright, I just choose to share them here.

As a law student I disagree. Funny though, thing is, in Canada this is legal. As OCN is based out of Canada, their law governs the ToS.

I would welcome you to read FB, [H], or many other sites' ToS. Same thing, perhaps slightly different wording but same legal directive.
Daily Bench Rig
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Processor 4770k Z87X-OC Force-CF AMD Radeon HD 7970 AMD Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
dominator gt Samsung 840 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Samsung F3 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD burner XSPC Raystorm RX360 D5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool Repack D5 Kingpin CPU pot Windows 7 Dell U2211 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" Samsung 1080P 120hz 15 years old mechanical AX-1200 HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Pyrrhus Creative Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
Daily Bench Rig
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Processor 4770k Z87X-OC Force-CF AMD Radeon HD 7970 AMD Radeon HD 7970 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
dominator gt Samsung 840 EVO Samsung 840 EVO Samsung F3 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
DVD burner XSPC Raystorm RX360 D5 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool Repack D5 Kingpin CPU pot Windows 7 Dell U2211 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
40" Samsung 1080P 120hz 15 years old mechanical AX-1200 HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Pyrrhus Creative Soundblaster Z 
  hide details  
post #163 of 233
That particular piece of our Terms of Service is, as far as I know, fairly standard legal boilerplate for websites that deal with user generated content, and would have been crafted by our legal counsel. If you'd like, I can try to find a few cases where that directive might behoove a website of our nature. That particular clause has been in the ToS from the start of the site (even before my time here, which has been quite some time) , and is nothing new. I am not a lawyer, but as an individual, I assume those clauses of the Terms of Service are an attempt to afford the site some additional legal protections.

We respect your content as yours, and would not attempt to misrepresent it, take credit for it, or alter your words in any fashion. Its the kind of thing where, though the legal ability may or may not exist, we're just not scummy enough people to do that.
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
Morpheus Mini
(7 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700T SN970 GTX 960 Crucial CT102464BF160B 
Hard DriveOSAudio
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 Windows 10 Pro MOTU Audio Express 
  hide details  
post #164 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed117 View Post

So if i post a link to the new driver's from a Hardware manufacture does that mean it is property of OCN now?

honestly, that segment of the tos won't hold up in court, it's just a means to control the site's content, freedom of speech protects individuals from things like this, without a signature(including notarization) waiving your rights to your intellectual properties, ie. your posts, reviews, comments or ideas, it's an unenforceable clause in the ToS

<_< at least in the USA, i'm not sure about other countries, but that segment of the ToS is actually unconstitutional and thus unenforceable from a legal standing

this would be one of those cases where you have to know your rights as to not get screwed
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
Main Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5 6600k Asus Z170I Pro Gaming EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz C16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850evo Western Digital Red Hyper 212+ W7 64 bit 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G610 Orion EVGA Supernova G3 850 Fractal Design Core 500 roccat nyth 
  hide details  
post #165 of 233
It's very simple:

OCN having unlimited use of a poster's image/content =/= OCN owning the intellectual property rights to said content.

In choosing to word their terms as they presently stand, OCN has made a clear choice. The difference is not trivial, as the former implies posting with an agreement to license OCN to use/distribute/modify the poster's content free of charge, and the later (currently in force) states that the poster surrenders all intellectual property rights to OCN the moment of posting. Therefore, [H] terms are in fact decidedly not the same thing. Licensing your intellectual property free of charge in perpetuity and handing over the ownership of that intellectual property are simply not the same thing.

I'm glad to have spotted this thread as, like the majority of users, I never bothered to give the terms more than a cursory glance. I would bet there are a great many users who didn't even grant them that much attention. I still think OCN is a great forum, and a wonderful resource, but these terms seem a bit draconian. I know funding a community website is a difficult proposition, but softening the language in the terms would be a prudent choice IMHO. I would also tend to agree with another poster (a few pages back, sorry not quoted here) who stated that a rule that needs bending needs to be changed. There should be no reason that folks like the OP should have to negotiate some sort of exception to OCN's terms.


Edit: I'm no lawyer, but I have dealt with intellectual property litigation first-hand so I feel compelled to state that in the US at least, if the terms state that posting content means giving up intellectual property rights to said content, then that is in fact the way any disputes will be handled by the courts. OCN's terms are totally legal and identical to sites such as FaceBook which have similar rules.
Edited by RandomK - 12/10/12 at 3:30pm
Primary
(13 items)
 
HTPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k ASUS Sabertooth X79 2 X Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD ASUS CD/DVDR combo Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 7 Ult, Ubuntu 13.10 (on SSD), Proxmox ... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster SA550 (27in @ 1080p / 60hz) Corsair K60 OCZ ZX 850w Fully Modular (80+ Gold) Corsair C70 
Mouse
R.A.T. 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980 BE M5A88-M IGP (Radeon HD 4250) Mushkin blackline 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Cooler Master GeminII S524 SilenX EFX-08-12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 Cheap little 32in Insignia w/ LED backlight Logitech K260 500w OCZ Modular 80+ 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone ML03B Logitch M210 Ahem, built in speakers... 
  hide details  
Primary
(13 items)
 
HTPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k ASUS Sabertooth X79 2 X Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Corsair Dominator GT 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD ASUS CD/DVDR combo Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Windows 7 Ult, Ubuntu 13.10 (on SSD), Proxmox ... 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster SA550 (27in @ 1080p / 60hz) Corsair K60 OCZ ZX 850w Fully Modular (80+ Gold) Corsair C70 
Mouse
R.A.T. 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
980 BE M5A88-M IGP (Radeon HD 4250) Mushkin blackline 8gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Cooler Master GeminII S524 SilenX EFX-08-12 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 Cheap little 32in Insignia w/ LED backlight Logitech K260 500w OCZ Modular 80+ 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone ML03B Logitch M210 Ahem, built in speakers... 
  hide details  
post #166 of 233
I always read the ToS very carefully, mostly since FB's ToS where basically everything you upload to the site is now owned by FB and can be used without any notice to the person who uploaded the image.

I read OCN's ToS very carefully before joining and was fully aware of their ToS and that's why I'm never ever is going to post some of my serious pictures here, they're to precious to me as a photographer. and i probably won't post any build logs here either, i want to be able to use the content on other sites as well.

The [sponsored] things, i don't really mind, it's a good way to keep the site fair. I see all the time on a Swedish site a specific case manufacturer sponsoring builds, but they never have ads on the site, they don't need to, because they get free advertising from the builders they sponsor.

@RandomK
Quote:
||Ownership of Content Submissions||

All legal content, information or any other form of member submission, that conforms with the site rules/terms of service, immediately becomes exclusive property of Overclock.net
post #167 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianJ View Post

As a law student I disagree. Funny though, thing is, in Canada this is legal. As OCN is based out of Canada, their law governs the ToS.
I would welcome you to read FB, [H], or many other sites' ToS. Same thing, perhaps slightly different wording but same legal directive.

Stren, Martin and other testers can post their non-biased reviews on Hardforum, Strens is in fact still there. OCN, however, deleted Strens independent review because of 2 issues, 1) it was posted on another site and OCN thinks they own his data now, and 2) he didnt pay the fee, after donating an enormous amount of his time.

Yet that same Stren review still sits at Hardforum, not deleted, not complained about.

The fact is Hardforums TOS is worded for self-protection, and is a legal necessity. OCN's is worded for personal gain, and is an onerous twist of a standard TOS policy.

And if you think they are enforced the same, explain why Strens independent review was deleted at OCN, and not at Hardforum.
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6900K 4.4ghz  MSI X99A Krait Titan XP Gskill 32GB 3200 C14 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 960 Pro 1TB OS Samsung 850 pro 1TB games D5, XT45 280 rad, Nemesis 280 rad,  Windows 10 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU 144hz Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Fractal Design R5 
  hide details  
post #168 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by opt33 View Post

Stren, Martin and other testers can post their non-biased reviews on Hardforum, Strens is in fact still there. OCN, however, deleted Strens independent review because of 2 issues, 1) it was posted on another site and OCN thinks they own his data now, and 2) he didnt pay the fee, after donating an enormous amount of his time.
Yet that same Stren review still sits at Hardforum, not deleted, not complained about.
The fact is Hardforums TOS is worded for self-protection, and is a legal necessity. OCN's is worded for personal gain, and is an onerous twist of a standard TOS policy.
And if you think they are enforced the same, explain why Strens independent review was deleted at OCN, and not at Hardforum.

This whole thread is about the misunderstanding between staff and the mistakes that were made in enforcing the rules because of that misunderstanding... The enforcing that you've read in this thread isn't the norm.
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
 
Benching
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[i7 5960X @ 4.8GHz] [Rampage V Extreme] [Titan 1400MHz (1500MHz bench)] [Various] 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
[250GB 840EVO +2x SpinpointF3 1TB RAID0] [LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change] [XSPC X2O 750 pump/res] [Monsta 360 full copper + EK XT 360 + XT 240] 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
[Crossover 27Q LED-P 1440p+ASUS 1200p+LG 1080p] [Corsair AX1200] [Dimastech Easy v3.0] [Sennheiser HD558s] 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
FX 8320, FX 8350, Phenom II x2 555BE i7 3930K, i7 860, i7 4770K, 68x Celeron D CVF, commando, 2x RIVE, Z87X-OC Asus 4870x2, Sapphire 4870 
GraphicsGraphicsGraphicsGraphics
2x 5870, 5850, 5830, 5770 2x 3870x2, 3870 GTX Titan, GTX 480, GTX 590 GTX 285, GTX 260, 4x 9800GT, 8800GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
4x4GB vengeance, 2x4GB predatorX, 2x1GB OCZ DDR2 Intel X25-M 80GB LD PC-V2 SS Phase Change OCN Marksman 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
2x old tek slims (GPU) Various watercooling stuff win7, winxp AX1200 
Case
test bench / cardboard box 
  hide details  
post #169 of 233
As stated in my earlier post, my issue is with the fee (for sponsored reviews only).

I also failed to mention that I am not going anywhere thumb.gif
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
post #170 of 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy4 View Post

I read most of this, but just to be clear -- a scenario:
Martin receives sponsorship in that he gets to use and review something from manufacturer X. This is great, because this is his hobby and he does not have thousands of $$ to spend on parts. You then go and charge him $29 to share what he has to offer and in turn take ownership of what he posts. I could draw parallels to racketeering, but I digress. I understand that you want advertising revenue and you don't want manufacturers to find ways to bypass this, but the solution of making a member pay to post unbiased reviews is absurd. It would be understandable if they paid him to give a biased review, but I doubt this is really the case. There is more justification for showcase threads that really are partially advertising.
"Great review! Now you owe us $29 and all the rights to your intellectual property. Thanks again for adding to the community."
I can see how that makes people upset. I know that you really are just trying to foster a good community forum, but the legalese is a little thick and controlling.

+1

If OCN would pioneer a new TOS that encouraged this type of practice, we'd all of a sudden be the most popular forum.

Imagine all the advertising income for the most popular computer enthusiast forum.
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Goodbye fellow members, my last post at OCN