Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Toshiba DT01ACA300 or Seagate ST3000DM001?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toshiba DT01ACA300 or Seagate ST3000DM001? - Page 4

Poll Results: Which drive should I buy?

 
  • 63% (19)
    Toshiba DT01ACA300
  • 36% (11)
    Seagate ST3000DM001
30 Total Votes  
post #31 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

Guess I made the right choice by going with the Toshiba then, I've been using the drive for more than 15 months without issues. But I do have a 3TB WDC Green for backups anyways.

Hi, could you please give the Toshiba CrystalDiskMark test and publish it to see results?, I beg you frown.gifsadsmiley.gif
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCVWG View Post

Hi, could you please give the Toshiba CrystalDiskMark test and publish it to see results?, I beg you frown.gifsadsmiley.gif

He did that already:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

OK, you have a point.

i found fresh drive benches. does this mean the Toshiba is better, or do i have to look for other benches too?

they are not from the same system though. the Seagate one is running on a Z68 board. no idea about the Toshiba. And Toshiba is using a 4GB test size compared to 1GB on the Seagate.

Toshiba DT01ACA300


Seagate ST3000DM001


maybe i should just wait for a review to surface.

BTW, forgot to mention. The Seagate is $117 and the Toshiba is $127.
post #33 of 50
Seagate has problems with vibrations, drive is half dead in my server. it was used to store old movies, so very light usage. I have read here on forums that cheap seagates die way too fast. can't find links now, but browse and you will see.

If you have money go with WD Black or Seagate Constelation or IBM UltraStar - but they are all expensive - therefore only option is IBM Deskstar or Toshiba.
post #34 of 50
Ever since Seagate discontinued the Barracuda Green line 2 years ago and made regular old Barracuda the budget drive, quality* has taken a huge plunge. Between that and Seagate's leadership in ever-shortening HDD warranties, I can't say I'm surprised - they clearly don't stand by their product at all.

* And not just in durability/reliability either - I've heard of people who have tried to RAID identical Barracudas from the same batch, only to discover that the performance of the individual drives was wildly (20-50 MB/s) different.
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #35 of 50
Well yes I agree with you that Seagate has some problems, whenever I used them, and I use lots of hard drives, somehow Seagate has some fast track to death...

This really surprises me, as per few articles (Toms Hardware I think) where I have found that only Seagate builds all parts of their hard drives themself. I thought it was some added value, but apparently isn't.
post #36 of 50
What I've heard is that Seagate's current strategy is to try and become the Acer of hard drives - they optimize for low prices and checkbox features like 7200 RPM while ignoring everything else, hoping that people will buy their drives simply for the low cost per GB. If that drive turns out to be noisy, slow, or unreliable, Seagate doesn't care - they've already got your money.

I'm just glad that WD and Toshiba have not decided to follow in Seagate's footsteps - I'll happily take a 5900 RPM WD Green or (better yet) the DT01ACA300 mentioned in this thread over a 7200 RPM Barracuda any day, simply because I know exactly what I'm getting with WD and Toshiba drives.
Edited by Peon - 5/5/14 at 12:52am
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
The Ancient
(14 items)
 
  
Reply
post #37 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodoBird View Post

As I couldn't find out which one is better performer and durable I bought them both, so in some future I will know if Toshiba lasts longer than Seagate. However, for the sake of price comparison, I have also added WDB and IBM Deskstar disks. Deskstar is cheaper than WD Black which has high price tag but is refered as the fastest 2T disk having price higher than any above mentioned 3T disks. Now you can interpret results as you wish...


Hi, my first post. smile.gif I just bought the 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 few days ago this May. Indicated on the sticker says it's Dec 2013, the newer batch I suppose. I ran benchmark with my disk around 10% filled. It seems the newer batch was upgraded with a higher burst rate. It is now more than twice that of the Seagate ST3000DM001. But the benchmarking I did is from windows XP x64 (I don't own windows 7 tongue.gif). Does XP and 7 make a difference?

Power on count is 7 days and counting. Hope it's reliability is as good as Anusha's.


Edited by ronsuresh - 5/15/14 at 2:42am
post #38 of 50
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsuresh View Post

Hi, my first post. smile.gif I just bought the 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 few days ago this May. Indicated on the sticker says it's Dec 2013, the newer batch I suppose. I ran benchmark with my disk around 10% filled. It seems the newer batch was upgraded with a higher burst rate. It is now more than twice that of the Seagate ST3000DM001. But the benchmarking I did is from windows XP x64 (I don't own windows 7 tongue.gif). Does XP and 7 make a difference?

Power on count is 7 days and counting. Hope it's reliability is as good as Anusha's.

Well, I didn't say anything about the reliability of the drives. It was someone else.

Though, I haven't had any issues with mine. Had been using the Toshiba since December 2012.

On the other hand, I wonder if the burst rate is system specific or controller specific. I had a Z68 board back then. Now I have a Z87 board and haven't checked how the drive performs with it. However, I won't be able to do a test on an empty drive. I've got about 400GB left in the drive.
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anusha View Post

Well, I didn't say anything about the reliability of the drives. It was someone else.

Though, I haven't had any issues with mine. Had been using the Toshiba since December 2012.

On the other hand, I wonder if the burst rate is system specific or controller specific. I had a Z68 board back then. Now I have a Z87 board and haven't checked how the drive performs with it. However, I won't be able to do a test on an empty drive. I've got about 400GB left in the drive.

To pass the first few months is critical. 16 months sounds pretty reliable to me. I had a 2.5" drive in the pass died just 48 days of usage!

What is your days of power on counts in hd tune?

I think it's part hdd and part controller specific. I'm using H77 motherboard.
post #40 of 50
By the way those Toshiba's temp are just fantastic usually between 34C to 39C. I had a wd black installed a pinky gap below it's bay and it's temp never exceeded 40c.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Toshiba DT01ACA300 or Seagate ST3000DM001?