Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Micro ATX Water Cooling Build "Noob"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Micro ATX Water Cooling Build "Noob"

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
I am new as many to water cooling and because I'm building in a Micro ATX case I have very limited space.

Case - NZXT Vulcan
Mobo - Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU - i5-3570K
GPU - AMD 7870 1 or 2 (haven't decided yet)

What are the limitations to what I can do with a PMP-400 5.25" Reservoir Combo?

And how much Rad do I need? I know I can fit a 2x120mm neatly on top and or a 200mm on the side. If need be I can make it look like a monster by using larger ones.

Thanks for your input.
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentojiji View Post

I am new as many to water cooling and because I'm building in a Micro ATX case I have very limited space.
Case - NZXT Vulcan
Mobo - Asus Maximus V Gene
CPU - i5-3570K
GPU - AMD 7870 1 or 2 (haven't decided yet)
What are the limitations to what I can do with a PMP-400 5.25" Reservoir Combo?
And how much Rad do I need? I know I can fit a 2x120mm neatly on top and or a 200mm on the side. If need be I can make it look like a monster by using larger ones.
Thanks for your input.

Um I don't remember there being much clearance between the top fan mounts and the motherboard, so you have to be careful with how thick your top rad is. Also, I don't think you can mount a rad to the "200mm" side fan, as it is not actually 200mm and therefore the holes wouldn't line up with the phobya 200mm rad (which is the only one that I know of). Also, side-panel rads are funky to do because the hosing is a bit of a disaster to install, and will make access to the internals of the computer much trickier than it needs to be. If you can, I would reconsider your case decision--the Vulcan is a cool case, but it barely even likes to take regular 120mm closed water cooling systems, let alone full custom ones, unless you are ok with mounting radiators externally.
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal View Post

Um I don't remember there being much clearance between the top fan mounts and the motherboard, so you have to be careful with how thick your top rad is. Also, I don't think you can mount a rad to the "200mm" side fan, as it is not actually 200mm and therefore the holes wouldn't line up with the phobya 200mm rad (which is the only one that I know of). Also, side-panel rads are funky to do because the hosing is a bit of a disaster to install, and will make access to the internals of the computer much trickier than it needs to be. If you can, I would reconsider your case decision--the Vulcan is a cool case, but it barely even likes to take regular 120mm closed water cooling systems, let alone full custom ones, unless you are ok with mounting radiators externally.

Thanks for the input.

I had looked at the space inside and will probably do an externally mounted rad. My largest concern is whether I can get away with a single 5.25" pump/reservoir combo. I don't know how many components that would be sufficient for. The processor is the most important to me, but I know I like doing unnecessary things and therefore would like to cool things on the MOBO and also likely the video card or cards. 2 max in this case.

Also how many components can a 2x120mm rad cool?
Edited by bentojiji - 12/8/12 at 12:44pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentojiji View Post

Thanks for the input.
I had looked at the space inside and will probably do an externally mounted rad. My largest concern is whether I can get away with a single 5.25" pump/reservoir combo. I don't know how many components that would be sufficient for. The processor is the most important to me, but I know I like doing unnecessary things and therefore would like to cool things on the MOBO and also likely the video card or cards. 2 max in this case.
Also how many components can a 2x120mm rad cool?

What is your concern about the pump/res combo? There is no particular volumetric fluid requirement for a res in a watercooling loop, a res just makes bleeding the air out of the loop much easier, and a single pump will also be fine unless you have a preposterous amount of components. The general rule of thumb for cooling capacity is that one major component requires 1x120mm worth of rad, so a 2x120 is fine for your single GPU + CPU, though it doesn't leave much headroom for expansion. I actually don't know how much heat the mobo components output, but to add a second GPU, I would probably front mount or rear mount another rad.
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
Fractal Fury
(9 items)
 
TJ08-e Reborn!
(12 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-5930k ASRock X99m Killer AMD Radeon Fury X G-Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingKeyboardPower
Kingston Hyper-X Predator M.2 Corsair H100i GTX Ducky Shine III (MX Blue) EVGA Supernova 750 G2 
Case
Fractal Node 804 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal View Post

What is your concern about the pump/res combo? There is no particular volumetric fluid requirement for a res in a watercooling loop, a res just makes bleeding the air out of the loop much easier, and a single pump will also be fine unless you have a preposterous amount of components. The general rule of thumb for cooling capacity is that one major component requires 1x120mm worth of rad, so a 2x120 is fine for your single GPU + CPU, though it doesn't leave much headroom for expansion. I actually don't know how much heat the mobo components output, but to add a second GPU, I would probably front mount or rear mount another rad.

This input has helped me out a lot. I'm glad I can get away with that pump and res.

When the case arrives I'll do some measurements and see which radiators Will fit where I want them to

I greatly appreciate your help
post #6 of 7
Could you use an Apogee Drive 2, Micro Reservoir, and possibly an extra radiator in bay area?

I'll familiarize myself with your case.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmwookie View Post

Could you use an Apogee Drive 2, Micro Reservoir, and possibly an extra radiator in bay area?
I'll familiarize myself with your case.
Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, I didn't realize they had pump block combos. that would indeed save space. do these pump block combos have good lifespans? I might have to keep it in consideration.

Thanks
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Micro ATX Water Cooling Build "Noob"